Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Because I can't be bothered. I'm pretty sure you can find it yourself. Its funny you giving advice on the etiquette here considering how much you dodge and deflect to avoid answering questions.
    As for the snide comment, I have a very low opinion of Sinn Fein and their supporters. I would put them on par with Brexiteers and Trump fans.

What 'question' have I avoided answering?

If I state something I back it up with a link when asked. I am not aware of an occasion when I have failed to do that. You might disagree with the back-up, which is fine...but it is another lie to suggest I avoid answering questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blanch152 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Those most prone to labelling others are those who vote Sinn Fein for the first time ever having given up on the mainstream parties.

You talk some ****e but your some laugh at times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Rubbish.

Those most prone to labelling others are those who vote Sinn Fein for the first time ever having given up on the mainstream parties.

Ah here did someone get hold of your login details? At least have the good grace to admit how you've been posting for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What 'question' have I avoided answering?

If I state something I back it up with a link when asked. I am not aware of an occasion when I have failed to do that. You might disagree with the back-up, which is fine...but it is another lie to suggest I avoid answering questions.

This one, for starters:
    Link?

Yurt! wrote: »
    Ah here did someone get hold of your login details? At least have the good grace to admit how you've been posting for the last few months.

I haven't called anyone "doleheads - layabouts - terrorist supporters - looney lefts - communists" for voting Sinn Fein as McMurphy alleges.

Idiots would be the label of preference for them though, but I think that is fair comment :D:D.

• Advertisement

This one, for starters:

It is 'kind of the done thing'.

You want a 'link' to an unwritten etiquette? The 'kind' of thing rational people do?

Without that convention people would be allowed to state that a poster 'defended thugs' and then disappear into the ether of accusations and allegations without backing it up.

You might not think back up is reasonable to ask for when asked to do it, some of us do, as we think it is the only way to maturely debate topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I haven't called anyone "doleheads - layabouts - terrorist supporters - looney lefts - communists" for voting Sinn Fein as McMurphy alleges.

Idiots would be the label of preference for them though, but I think that is fair comment :D:D.

Don't think I have ever referred to them as doleheads but I'll put my hand up and admit I have called them layabouts, terrorist supporters, looney lefts, communists and idiots both on Boards.ie and in real life. Because they are all accurate descriptions of Shinners. So maybe Yurt! was thinking of me :D

Don't think I have ever referred to them as doleheads but I'll put my hand up and admit I have called them layabouts, terrorist supporters, looney lefts, communists and idiots both on Boards.ie and in real life. Because they are all accurate descriptions of Shinners. So maybe Yurt! was thinking of me :D

Your a perfect example of why people will vote Sinn Fein.

It is 'kind of the done thing'.

You want a 'link' to an unwritten etiquette? The 'kind' of thing rational people do?

Without that convention people would be allowed to state that a poster 'defended thugs' and then disappear into the ether of accusations and allegations without backing it up.

You might not think back up is reasonable to ask for when asked to do it, some of us do, as we think it is the only way to maturely debate topics.

If it is only "kind of the done thing", that is just a personal interpretation and you can't demand it or require it of someone else.

You certainly can't harrass them for it.

As for the "defended thugs" allegation, you know and I know that your definition of thugs is more limited than mine. Gerry Adams is a thug, Martin McGuinness was a thug, you have defended them countless times. No need to produce a link for what is known. Next time I proclaim the world is round and not flat, I won't be producing a link either.

Anyway, thanks for not answering the question, and not producing the link. It has only proved my point.

You have captured the essence of the Sinn Fein vote in that one sentence. Sinn Fein voters are against things. They could be against the government, against the man, against the poster on boards that they don't like, against the Brits, against the Prods, against the travellers, against Denis O'Brien, against Leo, against FG etc.

They are never for a positive vision.

• Advertisement

Is that just your way of saying that I'm sensible, thoughtful, intelligent, hard working and that I care about the direction Ireland is going in? Thank you :D

You have captured the essence of the Sinn Fein vote in that one sentence. Sinn Fein voters are against things. They could be against the government, against the man, against the poster on boards that they don't like, against the Brits, against the Prods, against the travellers, against Denis O'Brien, against Leo, against FG etc.

They are never for a positive vision.

No im part of the 56.9% who dont want FF/FG in Govt.

Id say that % is alot higher now, people who believed FF when they said they wouldnt enter with FG, would have voted others.

If it is only "kind of the done thing", that is just a personal interpretation and you can't demand it or require it of someone else.

You certainly can't harrass them for it.

I 'asked' him/her to link to the post. He/she chose not to. You have an exaggeration issue if you think that is 'harrassing' somebody.
    As for the "defended thugs" allegation, you know and I know that your definition of thugs is more limited than mine. Gerry Adams is a thug, Martin McGuinness was a thug, you have defended them countless times. No need to produce a link for what is known. Next time I proclaim the world is round and not flat, I won't be producing a link either.

Anyway, thanks for not answering the question, and not producing the link. It has only proved my point.

What 'thuggery' of Martin McGuinness or Gerry Adams have I 'defended'?

Surely you are not now portraying their contribution to politics as 'thuggery'?

I have never supported the IRA, nor any of the violence perpetrated in this country from the beginning. I have supported SF though.

You support and defend the security forces of both states who have had to resort to thuggish behaviour at times...does that make it alright me to say you have 'defended thugs'?

Of course it doesn't, get off the high horse blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Is that just your way of saying that I'm sensible, thoughtful, intelligent, hard working and that I care about the direction Ireland is going in? Thank you :D

Going by your post history on various threads - a partitionist too.

A Rugby Fan, Hows that ivory tower in D4 with your American Accent?

Yes I'm a rugby fan. And proud of it. Was that meant to be an insult?
    Never lived in D4 but I did live in D6 for about 6 years. Is that close enough?
    I do have a foreign accent but its never been mistaken for an American one.

Going by your post history on various threads - a partitionist too.

If not wanting to pay more taxes to fund the basket case that is NI and not wanting any part of their violent, sectarian BS makes me a Partionist, then yes I'm a Partionist.

https://www.buzz.ie/football/dundalk-derry-fight-337772

It could be worse, rather than being a rugby fan, you could be associated with this lot.

If not wanting to pay more taxes to fund the basket case that is NI and not wanting any part of their violent, sectarian BS makes me a Partionist, then yes I'm a Partionist.

North Men, South Men comrades all
    Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal
    We're one the one road singin along
    Singin' a Soldier's Song

https://www.buzz.ie/football/dundalk-derry-fight-337772

It could be worse, rather than being a rugby fan, you could be associated with this lot.

Or even associated with either of these two.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/fighting-breaks-out-between-dublin-and-kerry-supporters-during-final-replay-950873.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

North Men, South Men comrades all
    Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal
    We're one the one road singin along
    Singin' a Soldier's Song

More drivel beloved of the bar stool republicans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Does every country have this dilemma :confused:

We're called this, oh no we're not because we're called that, well I don't agree with either of those names, because I say we're called something else!

Ireland, Eire, Southern Ireland, Northern Ireland, the South, the North, the Free State, 32 Counties, Six Counties, the North of Ireland, the South of Ireland, the island of Ireland. The Republic of Ireland.

Hibernia.

The problem of what Ireland is called goes back to the British Government refusing to acknowledge officially the name that Ireland choose to be called and deciding in the Ireland Act 1949 that the country formerly known as 'Eire' would now be referred to in British Law as 'Republic of Ireland' and not as 'Ireland' as named in Irish Law and Constitution.

This problem persisted until recently. Stuff like the President would not be referred to or written officially as President of Ireland by the British Government. It was just bullying. The Irish Government were well up to replying in kind (for example, any extradition requests were returned on the technicality that the request was to a country that didn't exist!

The EU recognising that the name of the country is 'Ireland' in the English language and "Eire'' in Irish language more or less made them come around to using the name that the people of Ireland had chosen for itself.

Not sure if the Ireland Act 1949 was ever changed in the UK - probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

You need to know where the country is coming from to know where it is going! You may have learned a lot about Ireland from history books - it would be interesting to know who wrote them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hey...maybe they don't want to talk to PBP...isn't that ok? To decide you don't want to talk to another party with a mandate?

So, SF dont want to talk to other parties who may be interested in forming a left wing government... wow! Just WOW!

Another guy talking up 'de crisis'.

Yes another election of they cannot form a government. That is how it should work according to the constitution and the democratic process.

Yes, in normal scenarios but in case you have not noticed, we are in the middle of a global pandemic so such an outcome could literally cost lives, but hey once SF increases their number of TD's so they can off and do **** all, then all will be well.

Anyway, another election comes to pass... then what. SF may have say mid 40's high 40's number of TDs.
    They will need at least 3 other parties to go into government if they are not going to talk to FF.
    If it is FF, then another one needs to be on board.

Then what?

Give us some sound bytes about SF will take the 'moral ground' and not be bought out by x number of Garda stations?
    Yes, I am sure SF will get 100% of what they want and will not compromise on anything. :rolleyes:

markodaly wrote: »
    So, SF dont want to talk to other parties who may be interested in forming a left wing government... wow! Just WOW!

No, I am not saying that, I am pointing up the fact that if it WAS THE case...you'd be criticising them while praising FF and FG for doing the exact same.
    I.E. they cannot win
    Yes, in normal scenarios but in case you have not noticed, we are in the middle of a global pandemic so such an outcome could literally cost lives, but hey once SF increases their number of TD's so they can off and do **** all, then all will be well.

Anyway, another election comes to pass... then what. SF may have say mid 40's high 40's number of TDs.
    They will need at least 3 other parties to go into government if they are not going to talk to FF.
    If it is FF, then another one needs to be on board.

Then what?

Give us some sound bytes about SF will take the 'moral ground' and not be bought out by x number of Garda stations?
    Yes, I am sure SF will get 100% of what they want and will not compromise on anything. :rolleyes:

Stopped reading after the Covid excuse was trotted out.

A health crisis is NOT a political crisis. A political crisi is when we have run out of options...we are a long way off that.

Leo's plaintive inference that only the chosen can lead should be treated with the derision it deserves.

jm08 wrote: »
    You need to know where the country is coming from to know where it is going! You may have learned a lot about Ireland from history books - it would be interesting to know who wrote them?

I can't remember who wrote them. Or who made the documentaries we watched. I do remember that they were from all 3 perspectives. I'd say what I learnt was a lot more balanced than the republican propaganda that you have swallowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Waste of time this party is, fail to understand you can't make change unless you actually govern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have no time for any political party really. None of them really represent me. But I am sick to my back teeth of hearing this vote for change sh1te. Any one who says it me is gobsmacked when they hear FF got more seats than SF. Even worse is when they say give them a chance but disregard the north as what SF do.

Actually I am beginning to think democracy doesn’t work as it allows people who have no clue and follow social media blindly to make a decision. See U.K. and Us and who they have. A benevolent dictator is maybe a good idea. Half tongue in cheek.

Honestly as a single male who works and on higher tax bracket no party even has anything to say to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

jm08 wrote: »
    The problem of what Ireland is called goes back to the British Government refusing to acknowledge officially the name that Ireland choose to be called and deciding in the Ireland Act 1949 that the country formerly known as 'Eire' would now be referred to in British Law as 'Republic of Ireland' and not as 'Ireland' as named in Irish Law and Constitution.

This problem persisted until recently. Stuff like the President would not be referred to or written officially as President of Ireland by the British Government. It was just bullying. The Irish Government were well up to replying in kind (for example, any extradition requests were returned on the technicality that the request was to a country that didn't exist!

The EU recognising that the name of the country is 'Ireland' in the English language and "Eire'' in Irish language more or less made them come around to using the name that the people of Ireland had chosen for itself.

Not sure if the Ireland Act 1949 was ever changed in the UK - probably not.

Yes, and that's all well & good, but "Ireland" still means the 26 counties, and the President of Ireland is the president of this State, and not the whole islsnd, hence the clarification of The Republic of Ireland, meaning that territory outside the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Norther Ireland, who have their own monarch in the form of QEII.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

jh79 wrote: »
    You also provided a link to rte and said that changed things. How did it change things?

Was this before or after RTE presented Michael Conlon with the sports personality of the year award ceremony? In all fairness this is about the most tenuous of linking I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

NI is a basket case by design.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement