Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

rob316 wrote: »
    Waste of time this party is, fail to understand you can't make change unless you actually govern.

But you can complain, a lot.

That’s fun too- nothing more enjoyable than being smug with no responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

McMurphy wrote: »
    Going by your post history on various threads - a partitionist too.

But what is the definition of a partitionist?

Somebody who accepts the internationally recognised boundary between the UK and the ROI, or somebody who doesn't? Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

But what is the definition of a partitionist?

Somebody who accepts the internationally recognised boundary between the UK and the ROI, or somebody who doesn't? Please explain.

Partitionist n. a term of abuse for.....

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they do not want to see an immediate reunification of the country regardless of the consequences

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they do not support Sinn Fein policy on a united Ireland

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they believe that an inclusive approach to a united Ireland requires the consent of the unionist population as well as the nationalist population

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they believe that the cost of a united Ireland is too large a burden to place on the ordinary Irish person and that the hardship created is not worth it for symbolic reasons

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they believe that identity is not tied to territory and are indifferent about a united Ireland because it is linked to tired old concepts of nationhood and possession of territory

There are probably some other examples that can be given to refine the definition.

Thought so.

So it's an abusive term :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A couple of the 1st time SF voters must have slept in this morning.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

In Ireland, partitionism (Irish: críochdheighiltíocht) refers to views on Irish politics, culture, geography, or history that treat Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland as distinct. Partitionists may emphasise the perceived differences between the two jurisdictions and the people who live within them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭blackwhite

In Ireland, partitionism (Irish: críochdheighiltíocht) refers to views on Irish politics, culture, geography, or history that treat Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland as distinct. Partitionists may emphasise the perceived differences between the two jurisdictions and the people who live within them.

You mean like the SF cheerleaders who repeatedly tell anyone from the South that they aren’t qualified to comment on anything in the North because “you don’t know what it’s like” ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

So pretty much everybody is a partitionist bar Dissident Republicans.

Cool, hands up, I'm a partitionist too :)

NI is a separate region within the United Kingdom, and as such has a distinct culture and affinity different to that (obviously) of the Republic of Ireland.

blackwhite wrote: »
    You mean like the SF cheerleaders who repeatedly tell anyone from the South that they aren’t qualified to comment on anything in the North because “you don’t know what it’s like” ?

Rarely if ever see that happening blackwhite.

You are more likely around here to read a partitionist insisting what they believe it 'is like' is 'what' it is like, than anything else. You know the ones who insist the comparison to normal governments is valid etc?

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    So pretty much everybody is a partitionist bar Dissident Republicans.

Whatever you want jh...if the description works for you...fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

God help us the FG cyber-simian fecal matter slinging unit are a delicate sort aren't they?

Partitionist is now an abusive term. Diddums

Whatever you want jh...if the description works for you...fire away.

Your definition includes any poster who says you can't analyse Sinn Fein's performance in government in the North because government there is different to the South. That person is quite clearly seeking to "emphasise the perceived differences between the two jurisdictions".

You must be our first self-declared partitionist.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Your definition includes any poster who says you can't analyse Sinn Fein's performance in government in the North because government there is different to the South. That person is quite clearly seeking to "emphasise the perceived differences between the two jurisdictions".

You must be our first self-declared partitionist.

:) person who thinks 'partitionist' is a term of abuse...calls someone a partitionist.

blanch...if it works for you, call me whatever you like, it has never stopped you before.

btw accepting that the two jurisdictions are run differently is an acceptance that the two places are indeed 'partitioned'.

It's what you want to do about that, that matters, in describing what you are.

:) person who thinks 'partitionist' is a term of abuse...calls someone a partitionist.

blanch...if it works for you, call me whatever you like, it has never stopped you before.

btw accepting that the two jurisdictions are run differently is an acceptance that the two places are indeed 'partitioned'.

It's what you want to do about that, that matters, in describing what you are.

Oh dear, you need to read my post again. Based on your definition (which I don't accept), you are a partitionist.

Either man up and withdraw your definition, or accept that you fall under it.

Under my definition, the correct one, and the way it is used on here by you and others, I wouldn't call anyone a partitionist.

Oh dear, you need to read my post again. Based on your definition (which I don't accept), you are a partitionist.

Either man up and withdraw your definition, or accept that you fall under it.

Under my definition, the correct one, and the way it is used on here by you and others, I wouldn't call anyone a partitionist.

As usual you are trying to go down the rabbithole.

A 'partitionist' is somebody who wishes to keep something partitioned.

Somebody who merely describes how that 'partition' functions is not a 'partitionist' necessarily. Although they can be. i.e. when, for instance, someone like you gets something right about how partition operates.

As usual you are trying to go down the rabbithole.

A 'partitionist' is somebody who wishes to keep something partitioned.

Somebody who merely describes how that 'partition' functions is not a 'partitionist' necessarily. Although they can be. i.e. when, for instance, someone like you gets something right about how partition operates.

That piece in bold wasn't in your original definition, once again, you put something out there and you have to back away from it in minutes.....

.....at least you are getting closer to my definition
    Partitionist n. a term of abuse for.....

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they do not want to see an immediate reunification of the country regardless of the consequences

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they do not support Sinn Fein policy on a united Ireland

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they believe that an inclusive approach to a united Ireland requires the consent of the unionist population as well as the nationalist population

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they believe that the cost of a united Ireland is too large a burden to place on the ordinary Irish person and that the hardship created is not worth it for symbolic reasons

someone who is a lesser Irish person because they believe that identity is not tied to territory and are indifferent about a united Ireland because it is linked to tired old concepts of nationhood and possession of territory

There are probably some other examples that can be given to refine the definition.

That piece in bold wasn't in your original definition, once again, you put something out there and you have to back away from it in minutes.....

'backing away'? :):)

Stop digging blanch.

the term is a perfectly acceptable descriptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

THIS COUNTRY IS FULL OF SHEEP AND "I'M ALRIGHT JACKS", TOO AFRAID TO STAND UP TO THE FFG CARTEL AND THEIR CORRUPTION.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

THIS COUNTRY IS FULL OF SHEEP AND "I'M ALRIGHT JACKS", TOO AFRAID TO STAND UP TO THE FFG CARTEL AND THEIR CORRUPTION.

OK SO!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Ireland ranked 18th best of 179 countries on the CPI (corruption index) in 2019 and has been top 20 for years. This high rating has been delivered by FFG in power all that time.
    Venezuela, that shining model so strongly supported by SF, ranked 173rd between North Korea and Afghanistan. Wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And you're resisting them with the only weapon you have, THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Ireland ranked 18th best of 179 countries on the CPI (corruption index) in 2019 and has been top 20 for years. This high rating has been delivered by FFG in power all that time.
    Venezuela, that shining model so strongly supported by SF, ranked 173rd between North Korea and Afghanistan. Wake up.
    What's your point? That 18th best corruption is a good thing?
    Or that FFG being in power so long are much more capable of hiding it?
    The corruption is from the ground up with them, and just because the CPI (corruption index) points out that a load of African and South American countries are perceived to be more corrupt doesn't really mean a whole lot.
    It also only really covers FG in power, as the data only starts from 2012.

That, and the fact the poster you quoted didn't mention how corrupt they were perceived to be by them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Suckit wrote: »
    The corruption is from the ground up with them, and just because the CPI (corruption index) points out that a load of African and South American countries are perceived to be more corrupt doesn't really mean a whole lot.

That, and the fact the poster you quoted didn't mention how corrupt they were perceived to be by them.

Anything good

FG.. look at us we are high on the stats in Europe on it

Anything bad you can't compare us to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Yes indeed, 18th position in a table of 179 is a good result (top 10% thereabouts). The spread among the top 20 is small also. It puts Ireland in the same light as Belgium, Australia, Austria, Canada, Germany. You know, mature centrist democracies with a liberal social agenda and a healthy respect for free market economics.

The 'perception' index is constructed as a composite of numerous surveys and data gathering exercises compiled by reputable expert institutions globally. Arguing over the word perception is a bit like arguing over the 'theory' part in the theory of evolution.
    Its not just South American countries (like the SF beloved Venezuela or Colombia) that struggle for credibility. That other pillar of SF's international brotherhood, Greece, is not to hot either.

You are correct, the data only starts from 2012 on a comparative basis.

What is interesting is that Ireland's performance has improved since 2012 by 7.2%, increasing the score from 69 to 74, indicating that Ireland has progressively become a less corrupt country under these Fine Gael governments.

Yes indeed, 18th position in a table of 179 is a good result (top 10% thereabouts). The spread among the top 20 is small also. It puts Ireland in the same light as Belgium, Australia, Austria, Canada, Germany. You know, mature centrist democracies with a liberal social agenda and a healthy respect for free market economics.

The 'perception' index is constructed as a composite of numerous surveys and data gathering exercises compiled by reputable expert institutions globally. Arguing over the word perception is a bit like arguing over the 'theory' part in the theory of evolution.
    Its not just South American countries (like the SF beloved Venezuela or Colombia) that struggle for credibility. That other pillar of SF's international brotherhood, Greece, is not to hot either.

Wonder what position we will drop when FG are out of Govt and all their corruption is revealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Wonder what position we will drop when FG are out of Govt and all their corruption is revealed.

List it

Mortelaro wrote: »
    List it

I only understand English or Irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I only understand English or Irish

I see,so you like posting unsubstantiated claims
    Quelle surprise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement