Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Can anyone explain to me why so many Sinn Fein and People Before Profit supporters are organising a march to demonstrate against the newly formed government because they are not the change they voted for. How can reasonable people think it’s in any way acceptable to go against at the end of the day the will of the people and essentiall revolt against a democratically formed government because they still hold the view that their perceived outcome trumps the actual one.

Also, while you are there, what is the constant posting of Michael Martin photo with Not My Taoiseach sprawled across it. Is it a case of throwing the toys out of the pram because they didn’t get the toy they wanted off Santy. It’s like they are oblivious to the fact that every Majority opposition that ever was would be disappointed that their leader wasn’t Taoiseach but understood the fact that if you don’t get enough votes you won’t be sitting on the other side.

For the sake of openness, i think what’s on the other side are equally as ineffectual, but my god voters need to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

joeguevara wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why so many Sinn Fein and People Before Profit supporters are organising a march to demonstrate against the newly formed government because they are not the change they voted for. How can reasonable people think it’s in any way acceptable to go against at the end of the day the will of the people and essentiall revolt against a democratically formed government

Not really though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Can anyone explain to me why so many Sinn Fein and People Before Profit supporters are organising a march to demonstrate against the newly formed government because they are not the change they voted for. How can reasonable people think it’s in any way acceptable to go against at the end of the day the will of the people and essentiall revolt against a democratically formed government because they still hold the view that their perceived outcome trumps the actual one.

Also, while you are there, what is the constant posting of Michael Martin photo with Not My Taoiseach sprawled across it. Is it a case of throwing the toys out of the pram because they didn’t get the toy they wanted off Santy. It’s like they are oblivious to the fact that every Majority opposition that ever was would be disappointed that their leader wasn’t Taoiseach but understood the fact that if you don’t get enough votes you won’t be sitting on the other side.

For the sake of openness, i think what’s on the other side are equally as ineffectual, but my god voters need to grow up.

Sinn Fein are a threat to our democracy, they want to bully their way to power like in the 1930s. Many of their supporters on here would love a depression like 1929 to help them on their way.

The rabble of the rest are only interested in protest and foghorns. No matter what is proposed, they are against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The outrage on the Friends Who Support Sinn Fein Facebook page makes for great reading......

"Yes we want another election we did not vot foer ye power grabing ***** But it all about the money in the endSold ye vote just liks judis done Enjoy while ye can yer days are numbered And ye will be history get up on you bike and toddle on Ye wount have a gaverment if the people dont support ye Not my goverment"

Are all of these #notmygovernment and #notmytaoiseach people emigrating?

Sinn Fein might really struggle in the next election if they don't return home to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

aido79 wrote: »
    Are all of these #notmygovernment and #notmytaoiseach people emigrating?

Sinn Fein might really struggle in the next election if they don't return home to vote.

They'll probably forget to vote the next time, half of them only voted because Sinn Fein shipped them down to the polling station in cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I bet their contempt for the democratic processes of this State doesn’t extend to them refusing to claim social welfare payments from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are you saying people cannot protest?
    It's hardly a coup now, hold on to the old hat there.

Protests against governments are normal and legal. The difference here is that it is so early in the term.

:) It is probably meant to trigger just that reaction.

Are you saying people cannot protest?
    It's hardly a coup now, hold on to the old hat there.

Protests against governments are normal and legal. The difference here is that it is so early in the term.

:) It is probably meant to trigger just that reaction.

Never said no right to protest but protesting against a democratically elected government and disregarding the will of the majority of voters smacks of either lack of knowledge of how proportional representation and subsequent forming of a government works or bully boy tactics.

As regards the not my Taoiseach i don’t think it’s as sophisticated as you say. It’s more of a petulant child who didn’t win the 100m sprint in a school sports day but still want the gold medal. I’m certainly not triggered by it as I dislike them all, but at least have a bit of cop on and work towards the next time.

Not really though

What part is not really. The party with the most seats FF formed a majority by going into a coalition with FG and Greens. It’s a democratically formed government. Anyone who can’t see that, please refer to my post above.

Never said no right to protest but protesting against a democratically elected government and disregarding the will of the majority of voters smacks of either lack of knowledge of how proportional representation and subsequent forming of a government works or bully boy tactics.
    Proportional representation didn't work for 24% because two parties froze out that 24%.
    If you do that expect protest.
    As regards the not my Taoiseach i don’t think it’s as sophisticated as you say. It’s more of a petulant child who didn’t win the 100m sprint in a school sports day but still want the gold medal. I’m certainly not triggered by it as I dislike them all, but at least have a bit of cop on and work towards the next time.

Again, two parties froze out a third. That is going to bring protest. Did you seriously think a mandate of 24% was just going to go silently into the night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

blanch152 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein are a threat to our democracy, they want to bully their way to power like in the 1930s. Many of their supporters on here would love a depression like 1929 to help them on their way.

The rabble of the rest are only interested in protest and foghorns. No matter what is proposed, they are against it.
    Give it a rest ffs, you're like a broken record.

dabestman1 wrote: »
    Give it a rest ffs, you're like a broken record.

You’re right. Sinn Fein are in no way a threat to democracy. I think they can regroup and come up with a better strategy and real connections with similar parties.

But while it is great to see that for the first time in my life time they have ignited a spark in voters that had no interest before. But with that comes responsibility. They should educate their supporters. They should not buy into the populist lets have a march for anything that seems to be the option de jour.

I think they will have to change how they are perceived by other parties. Elected candidates shouting tiocfaidh ar la will make it difficult to form any partnership with th other to mains or greens. The other parties are quite disparate and not aligned with inherent SF ideals.

Also, they should come up with a better approach to the question of the army council. It was actually the only time that Mary Lou tripped up on a question. Her answer could have been interpreted as she has no role to speak on their behalf. Another candidate said he had no knowledge of their existence but a week later said he had been told by them that they no role in a serious beating.

The only other issue that i see them having is their younger demographic all have a complete and utter disdain for FF and FG. Unless they are going to grow considerably they may have to cosy up to more than likely FF. how they will explain that to the people who have spent months calling FF gangsters, scum, only helpin* the rich, murdering the homeless is going to be tricky. But listen, whatever anyone’s opinions on any party, the election call was a wake up call for all of them and that is good for democracy,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Proportional representation didn't work for 24% because two parties froze out that 24%.

Again, two parties froze out a third. That is going to bring protest. Did you seriously think a mandate of 24% was just going to go silently into the night?

:)

What a gang of whingers.

So you think that every party that gets 24% should of right be included in government?

In Britain that would mean they would have had Tory/Labour coalitions for the last 100 years!

76% of the electorate rejected SF by the way but in their bizarre world that doesnt count for anything so they throw a strop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is embarrassing alright.

I have said it before and ill say it again. There is a strong smell of Brexit Sulpher from this type of narrative, a narrative played upon by SF.
    They are the nationalist and nativist party yet they don't realise it yet, that they have more in common with UKIP and the BNP then FG.

What do you mean they froze them out. What gives SF this belief that they have the divine right to expect interaction. They literally had spent the last two years denigrating FG and regular spats in the Dail. Leo saying it doesn’t long for the balaclava to slip to Pearse as the most notable. With FF they equally denigrated their core values, and FF have taken evidence from the PSNI Garda and the independent tribunal that the IRA control the decisions. Why then is it their fault that they didn’t want to join them.

If 24 % think they have the right to disregard the elected majority then fcuck that maybe we do have a problem with our democracy,

markodaly wrote: »
    It is embarrassing alright.

I have said it before and ill say it again. There is a strong smell of Brexit Sulpher from this type of narrative, a narrative played upon by SF.
    They are the nationalist and nativist party yet they don't realise it yet, that they have more in common with UKIP and the BNP then FG.

Agreed. One of the core values of SF is pro immigration but a large amount of their newer candidates and voting base are the opposite. Paddy Holohon being the most blatant example of how they are not on the same page.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    :)

What a gang of whingers.

So you think that every party that gets 24% should of right be included in government?

In Britain that would mean they would have had Tory/Labour coalitions for the last 100 years!

76% of the electorate rejected SF by the way but in their bizarre world that doesnt count for anything so they throw a strop.

No, I think if two parties refuse to talk to them and come together themselves to form a government then the 24% have the right to protest that.

What do you mean they froze them out. What gives SF this belief that they have the divine right to expect interaction. They literally had spent the last two years denigrating FG and regular spats in the Dail. Leo saying it doesn’t long for the balaclava to slip to Pearse as the most notable. With FF they equally denigrated their core values, and FF have taken evidence from the PSNI Garda and the independent tribunal that the IRA control the decisions. Why then is it their fault that they didn’t want to join them.

If 24 % think they have the right to disregard the elected majority then fcuck that maybe we do have a problem with our democracy,

FG and FF have spent decades denigrating SF. FF and FG talk out of both sides of their mouths on this. On the one hand throwing the IRA out everytime they are being criticised and all the easy lazy stuff about 'balaclava's' etc and then on the other hand imploring them to get involved in democratic politics in the north.

They can't have it two ways here. If they aren't fit for government here they aren't fit for government in the north.

Put up the evidence, arrest those responsible, tear up the GFA or shut up and start behaving like democrats.

No, I think if two parties refuse to talk to them and come together themselves to form a government then the 24% have the right to protest that.

Francie i disagree with a lot of what you post but you have a lot of knowledge, you stick to your guns and come across fair. But you can’t honestly suggest that FF or FG would talk to SF. If we start with FG, have you had a look at the countless and incessant homophobic comments that are posted about Varadkar. The anti Semitic comments aimed at Harris, Pure vitriol at Coveney and the complete character assasination of the party and their voters.

FF next. While constantly saying that they have a natural allegiance to each other due to both being Republican, the divide couldn’t be wider. The Apple Tax being w good example.

If Aontu had 24% should parties be obliged to talk to them. Fcuck no.

It’s on both sides. The majority of candidates hate each other. The voting base are diametrically different. And at the end of the day, one side thinks the other is controlled by terrorists. Democracy means you are required to talk to anyone.

If at every turn when a decision is made that the opposition don’t like, are they going to go for a stroll down O’Connell street. Some cop on is needed.

FG and FF have spent decades denigrating SF. FF and FG talk out of both sides of their mouths on this. On the one hand throwing the IRA out everytime they are being criticised and all the easy lazy stuff about 'balaclava's' etc and then on the other hand imploring them to get involved in democratic politics in the north.

They can't have it two ways here. If they aren't fit for government here they aren't fit for government in the north.

Put up the evidence, arrest those responsible, tear up the GFA or shut up and start behaving like democrats.

The difference is that FG don’t have a mandate in the north. I think the word imploring is incorrect. They told them to implement everything that they demand here. Things like minimum wage, assisting homelessness, pension age, social housing. It was more, why don’t you get off your asses and do it. The whole not sitting for 3 years because of the Irish language is ridiculous at this stage, while nationalist culture is important it shouldn’t trump real issues.

But why should they then talk to them if they denigrate them.
      The issue of the IRA is a tricky one. It was left out of the latest tribunal report which appears to be strategic. But it’s probable that not exposing what they think is true is more palatable than a long process, where the ultimate end is a resumption of the violence.

• Advertisement

Francie i disagree with a lot of what you post but you have a lot of knowledge, you stick to your guns and come across fair. But you can’t honestly suggest that FF or FG would talk to SF. If we start with FG, have you had a look at the countless and incessant homophobic comments that are posted about Varadkar. The anti Semitic comments aimed at Harris, Pure vitriol at Coveney and the complete character assasination of the party and their voters.
        No party can be held responsible for what is said on the internet. That would be ridiculous. It is just lazy stereotyping to say all of the above comes in an orchestrated way from SF. More allegations without any proof.
        See also what anyone supporting SF is called here. Only today I commented on somebody referring to a female SF member as a 'slug'.
        FF next. While constantly saying that they have a natural allegiance to each other due to both being Republican, the divide couldn’t be wider. The Apple Tax being w good example.

If Aontu had 24% should parties be obliged to talk to them. Fcuck no.

Coalition can work perfectly fine with parties with different outlooks. This one is hardly a marriage of equal perspectives is it?
        It’s on both sides. The majority of candidates hate each other. The voting base are diametrically different. And at the end of the day, one side thinks the other is controlled by terrorists. Democracy means you are required to talk to anyone.

If at every turn when a decision is made that the opposition don’t like, are they going to go for a stroll down O’Connell street. Some cop on is needed.

FF and FG's behaviour has set the theme for this government - exclusion of 24% of the electorate. Protesting that will be the order of the day. That is politics, SF PBP etc will use this.

If you want you have every right to protest the protests.

FF and FG's behaviour has set the theme for this government - exclusion of 24% of the electorate. Protesting that will be the order of the day. That is politics, SF PBP etc will use this.

Protesting for the sake of protesting.
        SF, if they want to be taken seriously, will need to cop themselves on.
        Can you imagine FG protesting the scenario where SF/FF and the Greens would have gotten into government?

If SF want to be seen as the main opposition party then they need to put their megaphones away and act with a bit more conviction, responsibility, rigour and professionalism. Because at the moment, they are acting like a ragtag bunch of idiots, like from some student union.

markodaly wrote: »
        Protesting for the sake of protesting.
        SF, if they want to be taken seriously, will need to cop themselves on.
        Can you imagine FG protesting the scenario where SF/FF and the Greens would have gotten into government?

If SF want to be seen as the main opposition party then they need to put their megaphones away and act with a bit more conviction, responsibility, rigour and professionalism. Because at the moment, they are acting like a ragtag bunch of idiots, like from some student union.

FG have never been excluded from negotiating on behalf of their mandate...there is no telling what they would do. I won't mention the famous coloured shirts in their history suffice to say we have no idea what they would do if that happened for a prolonged period.

Protest has been a legitimate way to express a view since the foundation of the state. Get over it Mark and maybe get used to it, because I think you and your party are going to have endure a lot of it based on the bed you have made for yourselves.

And wow...I'm just flabbergasted you have come to the view that SF and PBP supporters are acting like 'idiots', is that new? :)

No party can be held responsible for what is said on the internet. That would be ridiculous. It is just lazy stereotyping to say all of the above comes in an orchestrated way from SF. More allegations without any proof.
        See also what anyone supporting SF is called here. Only today I commented on somebody referring to a female SF member as a 'slug'.

Coalition can work perfectly fine with parties with different outlooks. This one is hardly a marriage of equal perspectives is it?

I’m not saying that SF are responsible for the publishing of content on an independent website or forum. But that is their supporters so FG don’t want to associate with that. But when it’s on official SF media or website and not called out by the party then it becomes their issue, obviously I’m not talking about being pro developers or ripping the poor, but I am talking about things like the constant homophobic language against Varadkar and the Jewish thing with Harris. This would have two benefits. It would show a step forward for inclusion in discussions with parties and it would show to people of similar minorities that they are represented. Obviously the same goes for the other side.

I think it’s disgusting calling any supporter a name like a slug or any denigration. the animosity and extreme language and behaviour that exists between different supporters is something I have never witnessed before.

Marching with no purpose is ineffectual. Do they think it will stop the coalition. Will it assist minorities. In essence it does nothing but loose a few calories. Why not actually mobilise and build on local government. Educate the next generation of voter. Assist in gaining new skills that would help the party I.e. new economic or environmental policy, also it may show potential candidates that are a better fit than some of the elected td s with very little vetting done on them. Also a lot of the new support have little to know knowledge of how Northern Ireland should be governed. I talked to 10 different people and none new that Stormont hadn’t sat in 3 years. None new any elected SF member there, none had a clue of pretty basic things you should know. Surely integrating The supporters north and south in a positive way is better than shouting not my Taoiseach on a rainy Wednesday night in November,

But it’s everyone’s constitutional right to assemble and march. But I thought marching might be a word that some supporter have an inate hatred of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

FG have never been excluded from negotiating on behalf of their mandate...

FF never talked to FG about forming a government until 5 months ago! Even when FG had a lot more votes than SF. And vice versa.

You really don't get this democracy thing do you? No party is under any obligation to take any other party into power.

Shinners just love this self pitying thing. Not much pity for the children raped by their members, or those beaten and shot to death AFTER the ceasefire because they crossed them in some way.

During northern elections shinners intimidated Aontú and PBP canvassers in places like West Belfast that they consider to be their "manor."

Slightest thing happens to them and its pathetic whinging 24/7

Fk them. Big Boy Pants :)

I’m not saying that SF are responsible for the publishing of content on an independent website or forum. But that is their supporters so FG don’t want to associate with that. But when it’s on official SF media or website and not called out by the party then it becomes their issue, obviously I’m not talking about being pro developers or ripping the poor, but I am talking about things like the constant homophobic language against Varadkar and the Jewish thing with Harris. This would have two benefits. It would show a step forward for inclusion in discussions with parties and it would show to people of similar minorities that they are represented. Obviously the same goes for the other side.
        Where have SF published constant homophobic comments on a website or the 'Jewish' thing with Harris?
        I think it’s disgusting calling any supporter a name like a slug or any denigration. the animosity and extreme language and behaviour that exists between different supporters is something I have never witnessed before.

You are not the reader of my comments that you say you are. I have been called everything from a murderer, apologist for pedophilia to scum on here. And the female members of SF are constantly denigrated and demeaned on this very site.
        I am not denying nasty things are said by those supporting SF either. All parties have their bombastic and ignorant.

Bonniedog wrote: »
        FF never talked to FG about forming a government until 5 months ago! Even when FG had a lot more votes than SF. And vice versa.

You really don't get this democracy thing do you? No party is under any obligation to take any other party into power.

Shinners just love this self pitying thing. Not much pity for the children raped by their members, or those beaten and shot to death AFTER the ceasefire because they crossed them in some way.

During northern elections shinners intimidated Aontú and PBP canvassers in places like West Belfast that they consider to be their "manor."

Slightest thing happens to them and its pathetic whinging 24/7

Fk them. Big Boy Pants :)

More of the allegations without back up there. Lazy and tired.

Protests are not whinging. Two parties (the two party's who just coincidently swapped power for 100 yrs) have had their vote chipped away and have come together to prevent another getting into government. Stand up and own that.

That is going to be protested. If they are big enough to ignore 24% of the population they are big enough to endure a protest. Never heard such whinging.

Another result that marching against the democratically elected government is that all you are cultivating is divide. What will be the chants that will be heard during it? It will hardly be we respect your parties, we respect that you have enough seats but we want another bite of the cherry? Or you are liars, you hoodwinked the people who voted for us, we have no respect for what you stand for. How would it then look if there was another election and by some spectacular event you jumped into bed with FF and the Greens. Wouldn’t the people marching be a bit concerned that they were previously told that they were liars and against the working people but they are different?

Another thing that marching will cultivate is a belief by any party that SF goes into coalition with is the default for any conflict is march, didn’t get a deal over the line march, homelessness went up march, Apple tax went to Apple march. Jaysus it will be like jJuly the 12th every week.

I remember during the Lisbon Treaty referendum and the subsequent changes SF were the most vocal that a second referendum was undemocratic. So what’s different. You didn’t get the result you wanted so want to go again. It’s not like retaking a penalty kick cause you weren’t ready and messed up.

FG have never been excluded from negotiating on behalf of their mandate...there is no telling what they would do. I won't mention the famous coloured shirts in their history suffice to say we have no idea what they would do if that happened for a prolonged period.

Protest has been a legitimate way to express a view since the foundation of the state. Get over it Mark and maybe get used to it, because I think you and your party are going to have endure a lot of it based on the bed you have made for yourselves.

And wow...I'm just flabbergasted you have come to the view that SF and PBP supporters are acting like 'idiots', is that new? :)

It protests for the sake of protesting. The government is what, one day old and they are out there like idiots protesting it already because sure, what else can they do?
        SF had 4 months to try and cobble together some form of government but now, sure 'rabble rabble rabble!'
        SF are delighted of course deep down. It carries on about the establishment blah blah blah are being mean to them.

They are like the same people who wanted Obama to fail back in 2008 because they were idiots.

SF want this government to fail thus they want Ireland to be in a worse state.
        And they call themselves Irish nationalists?

• Advertisement

Most new governments get the dignity of a grace period. This one has not earned that.

That is the feeling among those who perceive a forked tongue among these so called democrats.

Own what was done because it is going to be the theme of their tenure, however long it lasts.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement