Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Most new governments get the dignity of a grace period. This one has not earned that.

That is the feeling among those who perceive a forked tongue among these so called democrats.

Own what was done because it is going to be the theme of their tenure, however long it lasts.

But equally SF should also own what they have done. I’m not talking about the usual sh1te but the fact that they completely fcucked up their strategy by running a low number of candidate. They should also own the fact that they cannot expect instant access to parties when they have done nothing but abuse and shout (not even debate) at every twist and turn.

I never heard the use of Democrats in reference to irish politics but whateve, if you really believe when you say so called democrats then there is no point in engaging with SF supporters. Respect the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Most new governments get the dignity of a grace period. This one has not earned that.

Pray tell why?
    Oh because you tell us so?

You sound like one of those Trump supporters!

The government have been in office 48 hours, and we have SF and PBP protesting it.....

Where were they for the past 4 months? Did these two parties agree on a common platform or policy position?
    Last I heard, RBB sent SF a letter and then, nothing! Tumbleweed!

That is how much we should take these guys seriously.

markodaly wrote: »
    Pray tell why?
    Oh because you tell us so?

You sound like one of those Trump supporters!

The government have been in office 48 hours, and we have SF and PBP protesting it.....

Where were they for the past 4 months? Did these two parties agree on a common platform or policy position?
    Last I heard, RBB sent SF a letter and then, nothing! Tumbleweed!

That is how much we should take these guys seriously.

Mary Lou was missing for most of those 4 months with Covid. Richard Boyd Barret was openly pleading for left parties to try and come together.

There was a half hearted approach for a national government to deal with Covid but when every turn was lambasted the acting government saw it as more of a hindrance. The time to mobilise and march together to push through a plan was for the last number of months. Don’t use Covid as an excuse as it didn’t matter when BLM marches were on. I didn’t see one social media post of SF seeking proposals. Think they met the greens but came to nothing.

That is the feeling among those who perceive a forked tongue among these so called democrats.

Own what was done because it is going to be the theme of their tenure, however long it lasts.

What are you saying. I have never heard any government that after x amount of months there was a march against them. None when the bailout was implemented. None when mobile phone licences were sold. Yes there were marches for things like water charges but they weren’t a minority trying to oust an elected government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

FG have never been excluded from negotiating on behalf of their mandate...

You're just talking rubbish
    Over several decades, Fianna Fail excluded FG from government and vice versa and that's a fact
    FG of course got on with it, as did FF instead of all this arrogant whinging SF are doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

704c39d4-a236-4d0c-aeef-630d615e8a42.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Over several decades, Fianna Fail excluded FG from government and vice versa and that's a fact
    FG of course got on with it, as did FF instead of all this arrogant whinging SF are doing
    704c39d4-a236-4d0c-aeef-630d615e8a42.jpg

Let them rest Mort. They were up very early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Proportional representation didn't work for 24% because two parties froze out that 24%.
    If you do that expect protest.

Again, two parties froze out a third. That is going to bring protest. Did you seriously think a mandate of 24% was just going to go silently into the night?

What hypocritical nonsense.

If Mary-Lou had been able to get her act together after the election, and pull the 87 non-FF, non-FG TDs into a single coherent voice, then she would have had no hesitation in freezing out FF and FG.

We are more than fed up hearing from her that that is what she wants to do. This really is a situation where SF have been found out in the step-up to senior hurling. Crying about being beaten, whinging that it isn't fair, instead of acknowledging that they were outplayed and outsmarted.

No, I think if two parties refuse to talk to them and come together themselves to form a government then the 24% have the right to protest that.

It seems that I am constantly having to explain previous government situations to you.

In 2007, Fine Gael got 27.3% of the vote, up 4.8% since the 2002 election. The clear winners of the election, but Fianna Fail, the Progressive Democrats and the Greens excluded them from negotiations and formed a government.

We didn't see childish street protests from ignorant FG supporters then, did we?

Your position is reminiscent of the early 1930s in Germany, where one party organised street protests and forced a series of inconclusive elections before bullying their way to power without a majority. We know where that ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

...instead of all this arrogant whinging SF are doing

I think this is an interesting point. FG are seen as the arrogant party (probably justified or at least partly justified), but SF are giving them a run for their money these days. Even some of their supporters are getting in on the act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

joeguevara wrote: »
    But equally SF should also own what they have done. I’m not talking about the usual sh1te but the fact that they completely fcucked up their strategy by running a low number of candidate. They should also own the fact that they cannot expect instant access to parties when they have done nothing but abuse and shout (not even debate) at every twist and turn.

I never heard the use of Democrats in reference to irish politics but whateve, if you really believe when you say so called democrats then there is no point in engaging with SF supporters. Respect the decision.

'Protest' is your democratic right.

The last government caused more than enough and protest changed things during the term of the last governments.

The quickest governmental u-turn I have ever seen was caused by the sudden strength of protest against Charlie Flanagan's an Leo's wee plan to state honour the RIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The last government caused more than enough and protest changed things during the term of the last governments.

The quickest governmental u-turn I have ever seen was caused by the sudden strength of protest against Charlie Flanagan's an Leo's wee plan to state honour the RIC.

Ah Christ, is that all you have?

We should play 'SF soundbite' bingo with you Francie.

Protest is a democratic right, but protest against a democratic outcome? That isn't a legitimate democratic protest.

You are arguing for a very undemocratic step to be taken.

And in those elections FF and FG opposed one another on policy and programme for government.

They did this time too. The problem was that the two of them locked out another party that got a bigger mandate than either of them by refusing to negotiate. There was no onus on them to reach an agreement, it was the dismissive manner in which they refused to recognise the mandate of 24%

They can bleat all they want...the optics that this government has is that FG and FF, rather than lose power, coalesced after 100 years to take power. That is what people from across the Dáíl are going to protest.

:D:D I don't think the biggest fans FF and FG have on here (oh yes...and the Greens) crying about them using their right to protest is gonna make a pile of difference Mort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

blanch152 wrote: »
    They'll probably forget to vote the next time, half of them only voted because Sinn Fein shipped them down to the polling station in cars.

Some of them are a bit like the people who only do the lotto when the jackpot is massive and then think there's no point in doing it again when they don't win.

On another note it's good to see all of the businesses and organisations including Sinn Fein back to work today after a few months off.

It seems that I am constantly having to explain previous government situations to you.

In 2007, Fine Gael got 27.3% of the vote, up 4.8% since the 2002 election. The clear winners of the election, but Fianna Fail, the Progressive Democrats and the Greens excluded them from negotiations and formed a government.

We didn't see childish street protests from ignorant FG supporters then, did we?

Your position is reminiscent of the early 1930s in Germany, where one party organised street protests and forced a series of inconclusive elections before bullying their way to power without a majority. We know where that ended.

Oh blanch...it's a protest or demonstration. Nobody's buying coloured shirts and forming militaristic troops of men in the Phoenix Park and Sieg Heiling.

And in those elections FF and FG opposed one another on policy and programme for government.

They did this time too. The problem was that the two of them locked out another party that got a bigger mandate than either of them by refusing to negotiate. There was no onus on them to reach an agreement, it was the dismissive manner in which they refused to recognise the mandate of 24%

They can bleat all they want...the optics that this government has is that FG and FF, rather than lose power, coalesced after 100 years to take power. That is what people from across the Dáíl are going to protest.

:D:D I don't think the biggest fans FF and FG have on here (oh yes...and the Greens) crying about them using their right to protest is gonna make a pile of difference Mort.
    In the face of the above head in the sand stuff,I know it might be asking a bit much but...
    Perhaps some humility instead of this arrogance?
    Try genuinely a look to why parties won't work with you and change this
    That would be real change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I'm so sick of hearing this mandate of 24% stuff and Sinn Fein being locked out. In theory it might sound like they were locked out but in reality I don't think any combination of FG/FF and SF would last very long if it even got past the initial formation stage.

Think a few steps further ahead. SF couldn't form a government without involving either FF or FG. The numbers just weren't there for anything else.
    Do you think SF could have agreed a programme for government with either FG or FF, most likely FF as FG know it would be a doomed exercise before even sitting down with SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

So on top of:

Being run by a shady army council
    Having anti-vax conspiracy theorists
    Having anti-5G conspiracy theorists
    Engaging in anti- gay rhetoric
    Engaging in anti-immigrant rhetoric
    Running a large propaganda campaign
    Wanting to close the special criminal court
    Happy to have elected TD (Ferris) collect the murders of Detective McCabe from jail

We can now add:

Organising a protest against democracy!

Can the SF supporters not see why other parties & 76% of the electorate are genuinely worried about them getting near a position of power

In the face of the above head in the sand stuff,I know it might be asking a bit much but...
    Perhaps some humility instead of this arrogance?
    Try genuinely a look to why parties won't work with you and change this
    That would be real change

That's the thing Mort...they work with SF every day of the week throughout the country at local and county level.

When it comes to letting go of the power share/power swap, it's suddenly different. When it comes to the north SF are good enough and indeed are implored and embarrassed to go into power. Yet, FG/FF will talk the talk of inclusiveness and equality and democracy in the GFA.

The forked tongue of the ultimately un-democratic. They have been pressured into the corner of merging now in this government. Take the fan glasses off, it isn't hard to see what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

More of the allegations without back up there. Lazy and tired.

Liam Adams raping his daughter is not an "allegation." Nor is the SF/IRA cover up and their sending him to Dundalk.

Nor was rape of Paudie Gahon by another of the Belfast "elite."

Or perhaps you were referring to facts about past elections as "allegations," in the same way as extracts from three inter-governmental agreements were made up :)

You should be in 44 or Connolly House working with the rest of the drones.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Liam Adams raping his daughter is not an "allegation." Nor is the SF/IRA cover up and their sending him to Dundalk.

Nor was rape of Paudie Gahon by another of the Belfast "elite."

Or perhaps you were referring to facts about past elections as "allegations," in the same way as extracts from three inter-governmental agreements were made up :)

You should be in 44 or Connolly House working with the rest of the drones.

Liam Adams died in jail for his crimes.

Nobody, has condoned what happened in his case. SF and G. Adams have issued apologies for what happened there.

Contrast that with the campaign run by a woman and her family to get Michael Martin to face up to allegations against the Ceann Comhairle in the run up to the outbreak of Covid.
    Martin has yet to address it. Yet there he is politically exploiting another alleged victim on the steps of Dáil when it was politically expedient for him.

Indeed the frenzy to find 'victims' of the RA and SF was so intense that Regina Doherty claimed at one point to be aware of over 40 cases being investigated. It all amounted to a hill of beans though.

Look what FG and FF did to Louise O'Keefe for another example of the forked tongues.

Nobody, individually or organisationally, handled these incidents in this country and indeed across the world, well or properly.

Know when you are being bull****ted and being led by the nose or played in politics would be my advise to you.

Oh blanch...it's a protest or demonstration. Nobody's buying coloured shirts and forming militaristic troops of men in the Phoenix Park and Sieg Heiling.

Francie, the point you are clearly missing, is that what you are calling for (and to be fair, I don't see Sinn Fein calling for it) is street protests against a recent democratic outcome to a recent democratic electoral process.

There is no other way to call that, and the only precedents are in 1930s Germany. It is a protest against democracy.

The #notmytaoiseach on Twitter is similar, but you are taking it to another sinister level.

That's the thing Mort...they work with SF every day of the week throughout the country at local and county level.

When it comes to letting go of the power share/power swap, it's suddenly different. When it comes to the north SF are good enough and indeed are implored and embarrassed to go into power. Yet, FG/FF will talk the talk of inclusiveness and equality and democracy in the GFA.

The forked tongue of the ultimately un-democratic. They have been pressured into the corner of merging now in this government. Take the fan glasses off, it isn't hard to see what is happening.

So speaks the forked tongue again.

If Sinn Fein are in power in the North, how do you explain the horrific way they treated those who lost their jobs because of Covid-19 with miniscule social welfare payments?..............oh wait, they are not in power in the North, because the UK are in control.............................So if the North administration is not in control of the North, why did the IRA surrender to the GFA?...................................the IRA did not surrender, they won.....................Then why don't we have a united Ireland?

And so it goes around and around. The forked tongue of republicanism, whereby no responsibility falls on Sinn Fein or the IRA, that it is always someone else's fault, that they lie and dissemble and contradict themselves, over and over again.

Francie, the point you are clearly missing, is that what you are calling for (and to be fair, I don't see Sinn Fein calling for it) is street protests against a recent democratic outcome to a recent democratic electoral process.

There is no other way to call that, and the only precedents are in 1930s Germany. It is a protest against democracy.

The #notmytaoiseach on Twitter is similar, but you are taking it to another sinister level.

Here's the mantra starting. 'Protest is sinister etc etc'.

We heard it all out of you before blanch...you have a thing about comparing opposition politics here to 1930's Germany, why is that? Is it a guilt thing? Will it finally put the dark past of FG to bed if another party starts to mimic the fascists?
    Protests and demonstration are a normal part of democracy. So normal we are used to them.

Liam Adams died in jail for his crimes.

They protected him for years as they did other rapists.

RUC knew about this. Do you seriously think they didn't exploit the fact that the capo di tutti capo's brother was a child rapist?

They turned Roy the Rat over his degenerate betting. Donaldson over some sexual thing, apparently, and Scap who sent innocent IRA volunteers to be tortured and murdered was caught with animal porn.

Not exactly James Connolly were they?

County council admin is not sovereign government
    I repeat perhaps your party should show some humility rather than arrogance and try figure out why others in large number prefer not to form a sovereign government with them
    Change needed there
    If you need any more help figuring it out I'm sure an assorted selection of Blanch's posts here will assist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

We heard it all out of you before blanch...you have a thing about comparing opposition politics here to 1930's Germany, why is that? Is it a guilt thing? Will it finally put the dark past of FG to bed if another party starts to mimic the fascists?
    Protests and demonstration are a normal part of democracy. So normal we are used to them.

A party who got 24% of the vote organising a protest against democracy is a bit sinister, no?

Protests and demonstrations against unpopular actions of a government are a normal part of democracy.

Protests and demonstrations against the democratic formation of a democratic government are a sinister development reminiscent of early 1930s Germany.

Twisting the argument made by others in a post is a function of Sinn Fein supporters.

• Advertisement

As someone said: "The first election the shinners win will be the last election."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement