Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    Personally didn't get the big kerfuffle over leo having a few cans in the park, man was entitled to a day in the sun with his pals on a day off.

However, there's a bit of irony in that post, because I seen very little people trying to use the funeral of Garda Horkan as a means to score political points.

Quite clearly there was some protocols broken by certain individuals at Bobby Storey's funeral.

But so too were protocols broken at Garda Normans.

SAVE-20200701-095538.jpg

There's no telescopic lens camera trickery going on there, just members of a community United in grief to show their respects to a valued member of the community.

The same could be said for Storey, people might argue over their differences in politics, but that's their problems.

Surely there's not going to be one set of ridicule for one group of mourners, and a hall pass for the other?

I agree mostly.
    But if you look at the optics it's different with regards to politicians, and political messages.
    Context and perception.
    The general public like to show and pay their respects. No argument or fault attached to them as such from me.
    I've stood in a few funeral processions myself since lockdown that weren't strictly social distant adherent.
    But our political leaders need to show, leadership is all I have to say on the matter really.
    Tbf the unfortunate gardas funeral cortege broke restrictions too indeed.
    And Rip Bobby Storey BTW, an important figure in the peace process by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Read slowly...I didn't compare Bobby Storey to Garda Horkan at any stage.

I did compare the 'funerals' of both men.

Both funerals broke the regulations.

Wow, nice.

Good to see you finally answered it though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

event wrote: »
    Wow, nice.

Good to see you finally answered it though

Maybe if you had read these two posts you'd have seen I answered the question.

It was your good self who jumped to the conclusion that I was comparing the people being buried.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113896095&postcount=6684

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113896173&postcount=6690

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Would they [SF] all have turned up if there were no cameras?
    Sf have a long track record of publicity stunts at every turn and opportunity.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Personally didn't get the big kerfuffle over leo having a few cans in the park, man was entitled to a day in the sun with his pals on a day off.

However, there's a bit of irony in that post, because I seen very little people trying to use the funeral of Garda Horkan as a means to score political points.

Quite clearly there was some protocols broken by certain individuals at Bobby Storey's funeral.

But so too were protocols broken at Garda Horkans.

There's no telescopic lens camera trickery going on there, just members of a community United in grief to show their respects to a valued member of the community.

The same could be said for Storey, people might argue over their differences in politics, but that's their problems.

Surely there's not going to be one set of ridicule for one group of mourners, and a hall pass for the other?

One was a funeral for a Garda killed in the line of duty.

The other was a funeral for an ordinary citizen who was an evil criminal.

I see a distinction, but leave that aside, the main point is the example being shown by political leaders. There was no reason for Mary-Lou and Michelle O'Neill to be at that funeral. Bobby Storey wasn't a politician, he wasn't a public servant, he was an ordinary citizen and the turnout in full of SF public representatives was completely over the top, unnecessary, and arrogantly showing two fingers to ordinary people who couldn't mourn their own.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

The other was a funeral for an ordinary citizen who was an evil criminal. I see a distinction, but leave that aside
    So restrictions apply if you are going to the funeral of an 'evil criminal' but not when you are going to the funeral of a Garda? Wouldn't you just love it if that rubbish comment 'was left aside'. :)
    , the main point is the example being shown by political leaders. There was no reason for Mary-Lou and Michelle O'Neill to be at that funeral. Bobby Storey wasn't a politician, he wasn't a public servant, he was an ordinary citizen and the turnout in full of SF public representatives was completely over the top, unnecessary, and arrogantly showing two fingers to ordinary people who couldn't mourn their own.

It wasn't any where near a 'full turnout of SF public reps.'

Clearly the photo's seem to show that restrictions were broken as other phots have shown at other points in this pandemic.

I think SF could have done a lot better yesterday and I said it from the get go here. BUT I have to note that to my knowledge the only instance of breaking of regs that you have criticised have been whenever SF have trangressed.
    As hypocritical as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The other was a funeral for an ordinary citizen who was an evil criminal.

The virus doesn't care blanch.

So you are ridiculing one and hall passing the other.

Brilliant. You sir are a hypocrite.

Does a tree in the forest make a cracking sound as it falls if there is nobody within earshot?

In short...how would we know if there were 'no cameras' there to record the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Does a tree in the forest make a cracking sound as it falls if there is nobody within earshot?

In short...how would we know if there were 'no cameras' there to record the event?

There probably would have been a statement setting out that as far as they were aware there wasn't even a funeral.

So restrictions apply if you are going to the funeral of an 'evil criminal' but not when you are going to the funeral of a Garda? Wouldn't you just love it if that rubbish comment 'was left aside'. :)

It wasn't any where near a 'full turnout of SF public reps.'

Clearly the photo's seem to show that restrictions were broken as other phots have shown at other points in this pandemic.

I think SF could have done a lot better yesterday and I said it from the get go here. BUT I have to note that to my knowledge the only instance of breaking of regs that you have criticised have been whenever SF have trangressed.
    As hypocritical as it gets.

You and others spent days and post after post about Leo and his park thing, his speech, criticising it and him to the last for his insensitivities.
    Christ on a bike lads where's your sensitivities now.
    Are any of you prepared to state that Mary Lou and Pearse and Michelle should have a bit of cop on and show leadership instead of what went on yesterday.
    Taking the crowd out of it, focusing on the politicians that were at least talking of being in govt, even Taoiseach at one stage, they were virtually sticking their fingers up at the people who suffered loss were ill and are afraid of the virus still let alone the ones who have died.
    They could have had a teleconference with the family to express their sorrows or turned up and visited them privately, there was plenty of time since his death.
    They could have taken out a full page ad in all the papers and on social media to highlight his career and uligise him and his achievements.
    I add to my list of stupid leaders now, in line with Trump and Johnson, the leadership of the Sinn féin party, Marylou MC Donald, Pearse Doherty and Michelle O Néill at least.

• Advertisement

You and others spent days and post after post about Leo and his park thing, his speech, criticising it and him to the last for his insensitivities.
    Christ on a bike lads where's your sensitivities now.
    Are any of you prepared to state that Mary Lou and Pearse and Michelle should have a bit of cop on and show leadership instead of what went on yesterday.
    Taking the crowd out of it, focusing on the politicians that were at least talking of being in govt, even Taoiseach at one stage, they were virtually sticking their fingers up at the people who suffered loss were ill and are afraid of the virus still let alone the ones who have died.
    They could have had a teleconference with the family to express their sorrows or turned up and visited them privately, there was plenty of time since his death.
    They could have taken out a full page ad in all the papers and on social media to highlight his career and uligise him and his achievements.
    I add to my list of stupid leaders now, in line with Trump and Johnson, the leadership of the Sinn féin party, Marylou MC Donald, Pearse Doherty and Michelle O Néill at least.

I did criticise them. They should have done better.

Exactly as I have criticised Leo when appropriate...he should have done better too.

'Two fingers' thing.
    It wasn't SF taking the snaps and plastering over the media for political gain. These photos could have been used the way Garda Horkan's were, as 'photo's' of a funeral.
    They could also have been viewed the same way by people who are not hypocrites.
    We could all have rushed on to social media asking 'why was x, y, and z there, and 'look at those mourners, showing two fingers to others who have lost...but NOBODY did that.

I did criticise them. They should have done better.

Exactly as I have criticised Leo when appropriate...he should have done better too.

'Two fingers' thing.
    It wasn't SF taking the snaps and plastering over the media for political gain. These photos could have been used the way Garda Horkan's were, as 'photo's' of a funeral.
    They could also have been viewed the same way by people who are not hypocrites.
    We could all have rushed on to social media asking 'why was x, y, and z there, and 'look at those mourners, showing two fingers to others who have lost...but NOBODY did that.

Ah ffs, it's everybody elses fault for taking pictures.
    Is that the best you can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sf have a long track record of publicity stunts at every turn and opportunity.

When will we be getting the "volley of shots over the grave" coverage?
    Of course when it comes to Gerry's time there wont be any as he was never a Volunteer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The Garda Funeral was a State Funeral
    I'm not sure the same protocols apply to those,especially to that of a Garda
    The army pall bearers may have shared a barracks so as housemates may have been chosen for the no need to social distance

Bobby Storey is in the same category as any convicted IRA person with the good Friday agreement effectively pardoned
    Being a Boss in the IRA and central to securing that agreements implementation, I don't think using the words criminal or similar is helpful
    Facts are as I see it,1000's wanted to go to that Funeral and did outside
    OK MLM and MoN shouldn't have been in the church and maybe others

That will be acceptable to Republicans but probably not most others who had funerals and still do under pandemic rules

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The army pall bearers may have shared a barracks so as housemates may have been chosen for the no need to social distance

Bobby Storey is in the same category as any convicted IRA person with the good Friday agreement effectively pardoned
    Being a Boss in the IRA and central to securing that agreements implementation, I don't think using the words criminal or similar is helpful

That will be acceptable to Republicans but probably not most others who had funerals and still do under pandemic rules

According to Pearse Doherty this morning on Sarah McInerney they were invited to be there by the family.

As he also said, it is a matter for the PSNI to review now and they had liaised with them all the way through the organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

Now that the orations are over and there is time to reflect, what do people think was Bobby Storey's greatest contribution to life in Ireland?

His greatest contributions would have been masterminding the Northern Bank Raid and also the breakout of the Maze ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The SF Dominic Cummings moment is here.
    Disgraceful carry on but sure, the little people can suck it up.

According to Pearse Doherty this morning on Sarah McInerney they were invited to be there by the family.

As he also said, it is a matter for the PSNI to review now and they had liaised with them all the way through the organising.
    That doesn't hold water though because its all do as I say but I won't do what I say stuff with the legislators present
    The PSNI will probably tippy toe around this,pragmatism will win
    That still won't make it fair though

That doesn't hold water though because its all do as I say but I won't do what I say stuff with the legislators present
    The PSNI will probably tippy toe around this,pragmatism will win
    That still won't make it fair though

He clearly said, had it been Sunday then none of the SF people from the south would have been there.

The restrictions are relaxing. It is nothing like it was even two weeks ago.

But good to see the usual ****e will prevail...PSNI engaged and consulted in the organisation and have no issues...'ah that's just them being pragmatic and saving de peace process'. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

costacorta wrote: »
    His greatest contributions would have been masterminding the Northern Bank Raid

but he wasnt in the ruc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Do they buy those black ties and leather jackets in bulk?

He clearly said, had it been Sunday then none of the SF people from the south would have been there.

The restrictions are relaxing. It is nothing like it was even two weeks ago.

But good to see the usual ****e will prevail...PSNI engaged and consulted in the organisation and have no issues...'ah that's just them being pragmatic and saving de peace process'. :):)

You don't get the optics of this being bad or are Republicans excused from bad optics?

The virus doesn't care blanch.

So you are ridiculing one and hall passing the other.

Brilliant. You sir are a hypocrite.

Sorry if you don't agree that a Garda being shot in the line of duty with a State funeral deserves more respect and more leeway than a criminal thug who masterminded terrorist operations.

There is no hypocrisy in that, there is distinction.

However, that wasn't the point I made, which you skilfully avoided, it was "the main point is the example being shown by political leaders".

As has been pointed out, there are many of you who have criticised and ridiculed Varadkar for a beer in the park and are giving hall passes to Mary-Lou on this occasion.

You don't get the optics of this being bad or are Republicans excused from bad optics?

Well, you know Mort...forgive me, but the 'optics' for some people were never going to be good were they. It was the funeral of an 'evil criminal' after all. :)

Former criminal? Ex-terrorist? Pardoning doesn't take away the things he did.

Sorry if you don't agree that a Garda being shot in the line of duty with a State funeral deserves more respect and more leeway than a criminal thug who masterminded terrorist operations.

There is no hypocrisy in that, there is distinction.

However, that wasn't the point I made, which you skilfully avoided, it was "the main point is the example being shown by political leaders".

As has been pointed out, there are many of you who have criticised and ridiculed Varadkar for a beer in the park and are giving hall passes to Mary-Lou on this occasion.

Varadkar had a beer in the park whilst telling everyone else to stay home. get the context right.

maccored wrote: »
    but he wasnt in the ruc

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I most certainly did reference the BBC regarding the 10 people
    I said later that drivetime were reporting that the BBC were reporting that
    So now I'm dishonest for having posted the guidance in full?
    And I did say where I got that the BBC were reporting the more than 10 people
    Posts attached
    Both of your statements are wrong on what I said and you've the cheek to mention honesty after that :eek:

Jaysis

Tony Holahans press conferences
    Ignore them all you like but they're a perfect example of where you are wrong when you try to say zooms don't distort distances, they do

Or anyone that disagrees with you it seems to me or in this case provides an inconveniently irrefutable bit of zoom lens evidence on distance distortion

Can you prove the type of lens used? Is it not a bunch or those lens make people look closer than they are? :)

:D:D

well he wasnt. We DO know where 50 grand of that money ended up (the only money they found). It was in an RUC leisure centre - probably as payment.

Or do you believe the hilarious assumption that the IRA sneaked into a heavily guarded building and planted it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Faux outrage and a storm in a teacup. The blm marches and recent garda funeral had zero social distancing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement