Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,005 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Seems they are up north at the funeral, even ferris made it along with pearse Doherty.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

votecounts wrote: »
    What laws did anyone break going to this funeral, travel is unlimited at this stage or is it a case because its a republican funeral that its a crime,
    Here you go:
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-bereaved-about-funeral-arrangements

Funerals in NI at the moment are limited to 30 people, and only those who are members of the deceased's household or families.

Public funerals are not permitted.

Social distancing rules must be followed.

Gatherings after the burial are not permitted.

They broke literally all of the rules for this funeral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

maccored wrote: »

Except Varadkar was living in Farmleigh House at the time as other media reported - a mere couple of hundred metres away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Except Varadkar was living in Farmleigh House at the time as other media reported - a mere couple of hundred metres away.

Defending Varadkar again. I hope he appreciates all the time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

votecounts wrote: »
    What laws did anyone break going to this funeral, travel is unlimited at this stage or is it a case because its a republican funeral that its a crime,

Talking of crime & criminals....
    Quite a few knocking around at the funeral I would imagine. Nice to see Covid masks instead of balaclavas at a Republican funeral.

No Provo gun salute?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

maccored wrote: »

Leo was resident in phoenix Park for the lock down actually in a government appartment in farmleigh House...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,460 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Quite a few knocking around at the funeral I would imagine. Nice to see Covid masks instead of balaclavas at a Republican funeral.

No Provo gun salute?

Legend has it that members of the first Dáil and a good few after, hid their identities too when the British were looking for them.

No Provo gun salute?

Where as Haughey the criminal gun runner got a state funeral. Go figure.
    I would guess there was no salute because theres no active IRA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

No Provo gun salute?
    so no answer to the question, just the usual deflectionj

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The scum breaking the C19 rules as per usual.
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/1150536/
    It is a break of the rules, no doubt about it and they deserve criticism for it. But 'scum'?

Does that apply to anyone breaking the rules?

Any excuse for some on here to vent their spleen against SF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Does it really matter who’s body is in the coffin? If you’re outraged at one big funeral during lockdown then you can save some of that outrage for all big funerals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

armaghlad wrote: »
    Does it really matter who’s body is in the coffin? If you’re outraged at one big funeral during lockdown then you can save some of that outrage for all big funerals

I doubt there's many outraged (not here anyway). It's a case of live by the sword, die by the sword. Don't have to look far for things SF and their fans have made big deals of for political gain. It's their turn to be on the receiving end so should just accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The thing that really bugs me when the 2 funerals are compared, is that the same flag is draped on the coffins. The Gard absolutely deserved the honour but it disgusts me that a terrorist piece of **** like Storey would have the flag on his coffin. And I'm not even Irish.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Sorry if you don't agree that a Garda being shot in the line of duty with a State funeral deserves more respect and more leeway than a criminal thug who masterminded terrorist operations.

There is no hypocrisy in that, there is distinction.

However, that wasn't the point I made, which you skilfully avoided, it was "the main point is the example being shown by political leaders".

As has been pointed out, there are many of you who have criticised and ridiculed Varadkar for a beer in the park and are giving hall passes to Mary-Lou on this occasion.

Hypocrisy.
    The virus won't wear your excuses. 'It's okay covid the number 19, I like this funeral' :)

They were both groups not social distancing. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    Hypocrisy.
    The virus won't wear your excuses. 'It's okay covid the number 19, I like this funeral' :)

They were both groups not social distancing. End of.

I think Yeah Right's post expresses the distinction in a better way than I ever could.
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The thing that really bugs me when the 2 funerals are compared, is that the same flag is draped on the coffins. The Gard absolutely deserved the honour but it disgusts me that a terrorist piece of **** like Storey would have the flag on his coffin. And I'm not even Irish.

I trust you agree.

Well he wasn't French.
    Do you think the murdering paras will get your flag on their coffins? Not your place or business, mine neither. Flag belongs to everyone. Nobody gets to choose who does and doesn't have the right.
    Our former justice minister was pretty pro british tan/ric and I'm sure he'll get the flag too despite the hypocrisy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

seamus wrote: »
    The comparison with Garda Horkan's funeral is pure stupidity.

The only member of Government who was there, was Flanagan. As Minister for Justice, he is in essence the employer of Garda Horkan, and Garda Horkan died performing his duties in the service of the state. Thus Flanagan's presence at the funeral was essential from a business perspective.

Varadkar and other officials didn't attend, they marked respect from a distance.

Storey was not a public servant. He was not in the employment of the state at the time of his death. He was just a man, who died. Thus, there is no comparison.

Also, I didn't see Flanagan posing for selfies at Garda Horkan's funeral. O'Neill was down in Dublin over the weekend, completely unnecessarily. This woman is a complete hypocrite and a danger to public health.

So are the rest of Sinn Fein.

But I suppose the Shinners here will defend O'Neill's blatant disregard for the pandemic with more whataboutery. Leo's cans, perhaps?

Shes allowed be down here, There has never been any travel restrictions on people from Northern Ireland entering the Republic.

Our own Govt made them rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

christy c wrote: »
    I doubt there's many outraged (not here anyway). It's a case of live by the sword, die by the sword. Don't have to look far for things SF and their fans have made big deals of for political gain. It's their turn to be on the receiving end so should just accept that.
    lol at the post immediately after yours...

Yeah SF aren’t and should not be immune to criticism, I just can’t stand the hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shes allowed be down here, There has never been any travel restrictions on people from Northern Ireland entering the Republic.

Our own Govt made them rules.
    It's convenient that Sinn Féin supporters like to use the "different jurisdiction" defence when it suits them.

Would the 1000's and 1000's that turned out for his funeral just in the city and the 250,000 that tuned into the live stream of it not prompt somebody from outside the country to ask: maybe there is a nuance I am not seeing here? Maybe I have taken a slanted view of history when I educated myself. Because trust me, there are different versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08jjx7c

Themuns themuns. First few callers on Nolan were unionists so stuck the boot in, but hard to disagree with them. I wouldn't take one notice of what NI politicians are advising after that funeral.

They can't be moaning if the orange bands want to march in a few weeks, and based on yesterday, they should march away.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

:D:D

More than likely he was telling them things like half the informers in SF IRA

armaghlad wrote: »
    lol at the post immediately after yours...

Yeah SF aren’t and should not be immune to criticism, I just can’t stand the hypocrisy.

Sf are also immune to hypocrisy either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭1641

Amazed that there is controversy about this.
    Sinn Fein have never given two Fs about public health or public welfare and they are not going to start now. They are only interested in power, and yesterday was a clan gathering to show unity of purpose and signal that "they have not gone away whatever we may say in public".
    Sinn Fein's only interest is to get power and keep it for there own agenda, as set by the west Belfast/
    Armagh politburo.
    Sure they will have the bots out today with the usual whataboutery and smokescreening but they realise all this will quickly be forgotten, given what else has been forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It doesn’t bother me and I was born and raised on this island. Try not worry about things that you obviously don’t fully understand.

I would be far more worried about the breaching of the Covid restrictions than what is placed on a coffin. As others have said brits who have maimed and murdered Irish people got union jacks on their coffin. That’s a matter for them.

1641 wrote: »
    Amazed that there is controversy about this.
    Sinn Fein have never given two Fs about public health or public welfare and they are not going to start now. They are only interested in power, and yesterday was a clan gathering to show unity of purpose and signal that "they have not gone away whatever we may say in public".
    Sinn Fein's only interest is to get power and keep it for there own agenda, as set by the west Belfast/
    Armagh politburo.
    Sure they will have the bots out today with the usual whataboutery and smokescreening but they realise all this will quickly be forgotten, given what else has been forgotten.

Last week the cry was 'they are afraid of power and will never go in to government'.

Jaysus the twisting and turning would make you dizzy about here. :)

Last week the cry was 'they are afraid of power and will never go in to government'.

Jaysus the twisting and turning would make you dizzy about here. :)

I dont agree with that poster but from a quick look at their posts, they haven't posted here in at least two months. Where's the twisting?

christy c wrote: »
    I dont agree with that poster but from a quick look at their posts, they haven't posted here in at least two months. Where's the twisting?

That would be why I talked in general terms about 'the cry'.

The twisting comes when you see the usual defenders of the faith who defended 'against the spirit of the regulations' breaches by Varadkar and others, to the hilt on here, trying to score political points. That would be more of the general twisting or crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭1641

The twisting comes when you see the usual defenders of the faith who defended 'against the spirit of the regulations' breaches by Varadkar and others, to the hilt on here, trying to score political points. That would be more of the general twisting or crying.

I wasn't here defending Varadkar. But as I recall it at that time the regulations had been changed so that up to 4 people could gather outdoors within 2/5km of home provided social distancing was observed.
    There is no comparison with this mass clan/mob gathering.

Edit: Sorry now I posted this - being drawn into the usual SF whataboutery.

• Advertisement

You were speaking in general terms but you quoted someone who hasn't posted here in at least 2 months- doesn't make any sense.

Maybe you were trying to lump people together who don't like SF?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement