Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08jjx7c

Themuns themuns. First few callers on Nolan were unionists so stuck the boot in, but hard to disagree with them. I wouldn't take one notice of what NI politicians are advising after that funeral.

They can't be moaning if the orange bands want to march in a few weeks, and based on yesterday, they should march away.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

:D:D

More than likely he was telling them things like half the informers in SF IRA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

armaghlad wrote: »
    lol at the post immediately after yours...

Yeah SF aren’t and should not be immune to criticism, I just can’t stand the hypocrisy.

Sf are also immune to hypocrisy either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Amazed that there is controversy about this.
    Sinn Fein have never given two Fs about public health or public welfare and they are not going to start now. They are only interested in power, and yesterday was a clan gathering to show unity of purpose and signal that "they have not gone away whatever we may say in public".
    Sinn Fein's only interest is to get power and keep it for there own agenda, as set by the west Belfast/
    Armagh politburo.
    Sure they will have the bots out today with the usual whataboutery and smokescreening but they realise all this will quickly be forgotten, given what else has been forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The thing that really bugs me when the 2 funerals are compared, is that the same flag is draped on the coffins. The Gard absolutely deserved the honour but it disgusts me that a terrorist piece of **** like Storey would have the flag on his coffin. And I'm not even Irish.

It doesn’t bother me and I was born and raised on this island. Try not worry about things that you obviously don’t fully understand.

I would be far more worried about the breaching of the Covid restrictions than what is placed on a coffin. As others have said brits who have maimed and murdered Irish people got union jacks on their coffin. That’s a matter for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,876 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

1641 wrote: »
    Amazed that there is controversy about this.
    Sinn Fein have never given two Fs about public health or public welfare and they are not going to start now. They are only interested in power, and yesterday was a clan gathering to show unity of purpose and signal that "they have not gone away whatever we may say in public".
    Sinn Fein's only interest is to get power and keep it for there own agenda, as set by the west Belfast/
    Armagh politburo.
    Sure they will have the bots out today with the usual whataboutery and smokescreening but they realise all this will quickly be forgotten, given what else has been forgotten.

Last week the cry was 'they are afraid of power and will never go in to government'.

Jaysus the twisting and turning would make you dizzy about here. :)

Last week the cry was 'they are afraid of power and will never go in to government'.

Jaysus the twisting and turning would make you dizzy about here. :)

I dont agree with that poster but from a quick look at their posts, they haven't posted here in at least two months. Where's the twisting?

christy c wrote: »
    I dont agree with that poster but from a quick look at their posts, they haven't posted here in at least two months. Where's the twisting?

That would be why I talked in general terms about 'the cry'.

The twisting comes when you see the usual defenders of the faith who defended 'against the spirit of the regulations' breaches by Varadkar and others, to the hilt on here, trying to score political points. That would be more of the general twisting or crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

The twisting comes when you see the usual defenders of the faith who defended 'against the spirit of the regulations' breaches by Varadkar and others, to the hilt on here, trying to score political points. That would be more of the general twisting or crying.

I wasn't here defending Varadkar. But as I recall it at that time the regulations had been changed so that up to 4 people could gather outdoors within 2/5km of home provided social distancing was observed.
    There is no comparison with this mass clan/mob gathering.

Edit: Sorry now I posted this - being drawn into the usual SF whataboutery.

You were speaking in general terms but you quoted someone who hasn't posted here in at least 2 months- doesn't make any sense.

Maybe you were trying to lump people together who don't like SF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Would the 1000's and 1000's that turned out for his funeral just in the city and the 250,000 that tuned into the live stream of it not prompt somebody from outside the country to ask: maybe there is a nuance I am not seeing here? Maybe I have taken a slanted view of history when I educated myself. Because trust me, there are different versions.

No doubt the funeral was watched by his own tribe + any fellow travellers who followed the exploits of the Provisional IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Would the 1000's and 1000's that turned out for his funeral just in the city and the 250,000 that tuned into the live stream of it not prompt somebody from outside the country to ask: maybe there is a nuance I am not seeing here? Maybe I have taken a slanted view of history when I educated myself. Because trust me, there are different versions.
    They had not much choice seeing as the Jeremy Kyle show is off the air

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Shes allowed be down here, There has never been any travel restrictions on people from Northern Ireland entering the Republic.

Our own Govt made them rules.

It's strange, isn't it.

A person from Dundalk couldn't go to Dublin last Saturday, but Michelle O'Neill could travel down, because she came from a different jurisdiction, and Sinn Fein not only avail of this different jurisdiction loophole, but defend it.

Then again, maybe not so strange, many a good republican got rich on illegally availing of the differences between the two jurisdictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Have we any other examples of a party in Europe who have their leadership team attend the funeral of a terrorist and bank robber?

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's strange, isn't it.

A person from Dundalk couldn't go to Dublin last Saturday, but Michelle O'Neill could travel down, because she came from a different jurisdiction, and Sinn Fein not only avail of this different jurisdiction loophole, but defend it.

Then again, maybe not so strange, many a good republican got rich on illegally availing of the differences between the two jurisdictions.

Is it not a different jurisdiction?

Did you put the GFA under the bed with your boogeymen again and forget it, to have a pop?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Have we any other examples of a party in Europe who have their leadership team attend the funeral of a terrorist and bank robber?

Vox in Spain are pretty Franco nostalgic. I’d consider Franco a terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

A volunteer and dedicated activist.

I see this story hasn't gone away.

The footage on RTE News tonight is shocking, the numbers involved were huge. Those who compared it to the Garda funeral were being disingenuous at best.

Arlene Foster quite rightly called Sinn Fein out on it, and put the ball in their court to apologise. Expect we will see the same arrogance from their public reps that we have seen on here, but what do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The footage on RTE News tonight is shocking, the numbers involved were huge. Those who compared it to the Garda funeral were being disingenuous at best.

Arlene Foster quite rightly called Sinn Fein out on it, and put the ball in their court to apologise. Expect we will see the same arrogance from their public reps that we have seen on here, but what do you expect?

It is extraordinary hypocrisy from Sinn Fein. An apology is absolutely in order but it won't happen. They believe they are above and beyond the law, that is their culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

All the pretend frothing at the mouth outrage :)
    It was wrong, gave out the wrong message and they should apologise for setting a bad example IMO.
    Thats about it.

The shinner funeral too.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    It was wrong, gave out the wrong message and they should apologise for setting a bad example IMO.
    Thats about it.

The shinner funeral too.

No matter how hard you try, you can't make the story go away, all over the RTE news again tonight.

Bowie wrote: »
    Thats about it.

The shinner funeral too.

I agree. But none of the political class have put the hand up and said they were wrong or ill advised when they have made mistakes around this.

No matter how hard you try, you can't make the story go away, all over the RTE news again tonight.

I've little interest in it. Don't care if it hangs around or not. Is this me goading you or are you goading me? You can't help yourself. If you are this hard up at this early stage what will you do for distraction when Fianna Fail get settled?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's Leo's speech all over again. :pac:

McMurphy wrote: »
    It's Leo's speech all over again. :pac:

TBF, they were standing too close to each other at a funeral during a pandemic giving a bad example.
    Leo was just having an inside joke and a bet while addressing the nation about the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Another poster put this image up of Garda Horkans funeral. Were you as shocked by those images? Or is it only when Sinn Feiners do something wrong that you get outraged?

SAVE-20200701-095538.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's so depressing watching SF self-destruct like this after coming so, so, so close to breaking the neoliberal false-dichotomy which has destroyed this country.

Forget about whether it was right or wrong, forget about comparisons with other funerals or events, forget about media bias. Leave all that to one side. It was stupid. Regardless of what else they should or shouldn't have done, they should have known how this would be taken both by the media and by the public. This is yet another instance of SF completely blowing the goodwill they had going into the election. It's akin to the Bernard Shaw's idiotic tweet about northsiders shortly after the widespread outcry against the vested interest who brought down the original pub and the circumstances which allowed that to happen - these people should know better FFS.

I just find this so bitterly depressing. I hope I'm wrong, but I see the chances of another surge akin to this year's general election receding day by day with this kind of utter bullsh!t, and in its place we'll have a surge for parties such as Greens, Labour, SocDems etc who are far too willing to allow the neoliberal bull into the China shop.

Apologies for the dejected rant. A week is a long time in politics. But I really, really wish for the sake of the Left that Sinn Fein would get its act together. FG were gaffe kings in the run up to the election, SF have unfortunately made a good run at that title in the time since the election.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Another poster put this image up of Garda Horkans funeral. Were you as shocked by those images? Or is it only when Sinn Feiners do something wrong that you get outraged?

SAVE-20200701-095538.jpg

Answered that already, but the video coverage tonight showed that the Storey funeral had around 10 times that number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jesus, that Matt Carthy goon made a right show of himself on the Tonight Show. Got way too emotional and defensive.

Bad few days for the Shinners and their online army.

• Advertisement

Answered that already, but the video coverage tonight showed that the Storey funeral had around 10 times that number of people.

Talking on how popular one was over the other is bad taste Blanch. It was two funerals. Regardless of politics a little respect or quiet. Both crowds should have socially distanced. They don't cancel each other out no matter how hard anyone tries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement