Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Schoolchildren wearing identical white shirts as part of uniform - no problem
    Gardai wearing identical shirts as part of uniform - no problem
    Sinn Fein thugs lining up in formation in identical shirts like a uniform - big, big problem

Thugs? Members of a political party you don't like. I suppose you know every individual?

u6f7lfl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    FG councillor tweeting his admiration for fascists in blue shirts, and comparing them with modern day Fine Gael....... No problem

You're parody.

Astonishing lack of understanding shown in your post.

Comparing a misrepresented tweet from so no-bit councillor to the display of strength by the Sinn Fein mafia and disregard for the law. Credibility is something that post lacks.

Astonishing lack of understanding shown in your post.

Comparing a misrepresented tweet from so no-bit councillor to the display of strength by the Sinn Fein mafia and disregard for the law. Credibility is something that post lacks.

You are fighting from various angles on this. You said it should be dismissed because we've Covid to worry about. Your labeling of him as a 'no-bit' councillor means what exactly? How was it misrepresented? Care to explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Meanwhile in other news
    Ireland big time over estimated the excess death rate in the Republic from covid 19 by 59% :eek:

This surely shoots us all from ok ish to one of the best in the world for the handling of the pandemic

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0703/1151127-virus-report/

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Meanwhile in other news
    Ireland big time over estimated the excess death rate in the Republic from covid 19 by 59% :eek:

This surely shoots us all from ok ish to one of the best in the world for the handling of the pandemic

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0703/1151127-virus-report/

Should really be in another thread. But a distraction is a distraction.
    Yes, they may have miscalculated. Another Boo Boo? Hardly something to applaude, but the outcome is good.
    This was the top story this morning. Since replaced by MON's apology :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The problem is that in Ireland this is no longer the case - those prices are going up, but incomes are not keeping pace.

Off the top of my head, the government has to disincentivise the use of existing property (both residential and commercial) as an investment vehicle, build large scale subsidised social housing like we did in the 20th century, engage in serious root-and-branch reform of personal injury laws so that businesses are no longer held liable for their patrons' own stupidity, reform the insurance sector, reduce VAT and excise duty for the hospitality sector, improve inter-city and inter-county public transport infrastructure, tackle commercial and private landlords to reduce the cost of housing and of doing business alike, and slash spending on vanity projects which nobody actually wants and public entities which refuse to get their own houses in order (take RTE for instance).

The first on that list is the big one and that's what I and many others talk about when we talk about smashing the paradigm of housing as an investment vehicle instead of as a place to live. The trading and subsequent of residential property by people and entities so they can be used to milk money from people in the form of rent is something we should never have normalised as a society - if you don't live in it and you didn't build it, you shouldn't be the one who owns it.

I imagine that you and I would disagree on a lot politically as I am generally right of centre (which means I'm a nazi according to some :D), however I do appreciate the effort and thought that goes into your posts especially over the past few pages. You have explained your reasoning for voting SF very well and I can understand it. I disagree with it but your logic is a lot better than usual "SF good, FFG bad" and "up the RA!" we frequently see on these threads. And it is appreciated.

I don't agree with your view on housing. I think there is nothing wrong with people owning investment properties. I would never do it myself here in Ireland because I think the laws favour the tenants so much that it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I believe that if more could be done to protect landlord's rights and property, there would be more houses available to renters.

The bit in your post above that I bolded, I do agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

This is great fun. All the Shinners getting upset. The fishwife missing out on power and on the backfoot. All the **** up of their own making letting Martin off the hook and no one paying any attention to her one for everyone in the audience front bench

Edgware wrote: »
    This is great fun. All the Shinners getting upset. The fishwife missing out on power and on the backfoot. All the **** up of their own making letting Martin off the hook and no one paying any attention to her one for everyone in the audience front bench

I think you have it in reverse chief. The likes of myself are posting on the hypocrisy of the one sided get the shinners mob.
    It's shameful this non story took the public attention off politicians refusing positions and crony senate spots, one drawn from a hat. Likely the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Christ almighty. We have already had someone compare the Sinn Fein thugs in white shirts to schoolchildren. Now we are equating Sinn Fein thugs to the Gardai. Pathetic.

I was pointing out the utter and abject stretching you are doing blanch, with a bit of humour that seems to have gone over people's heads.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I know all about NICRA. Unlike you whose historical knowledge is based on brief visits to Wikipedia.

McMillan was on NICRA executive. Do you think himself and Adams were besties :)

(Adams was never on NICRA executive. He was on IRA Army Council and attended conventions up to the very last one.)

A chap gets a bit tired of the likes of you trying to tell them stuff by the way. Especially when you haven't a breeze about the history of the republican movement.)

I didn't say Adams was. When using even recent history, like posts made this morning on this forum, try not to lie about things that can be backed up.

YOU said the IRA had nothing to do with NICRA, McMillen was key to it's formation and the writing of it's constitution.

How many times is that now the facts have had to be pointed out to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

YOU said the IRA had nothing to do with NICRA,

Where did I say this?

I said that Adams lied about being at executive meetings; a fact that has been supported by people who were at such meetings.

He also lies about his being in the IRA.

Bowie wrote: »
    I think you have it in reverse chief. The likes of myself are posting on the hypocrisy of the one sided get the shinners mob.
    It's shameful this non story took the public attention off politicians refusing positions and crony senate spots, one drawn from a hat. Likely the point.

I think the lack of respect shown by Sinn Fein politicians to all those who lost loved ones during this crisis and couldn't pay their respects in the normal way is the big story. One rule for the Shinners, another rule for the rest of us, that is what people are seeing. Unlike other issues, ordinary people can relate to this, because they have had to watch funerals online, comfort friends from afar and mourn in solitude, while SF TDs can waltz up from Cork to Belfast without a care in the world to bury a common thug.

Of course, the busy defence being put up by yourself and others is not surprising, and entirely not unexpected, and I hope that you will be thanked for the good work and wish you well in that regard, because it looks mostly like a thankless task.

Where did I say this?

I said that Adams lied about being at executive meetings; a fact that has been supported by people who were at such meetings.

Adams is a proven liar.

He told one story to Spotlight about his knowledge of the child abuse carried out by his brother. He told another story to a court.

He got away with not being charged with perjury, because nobody could know which one was the truth, but it proved his status as a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's not a bit shameful. It just shows up the Shinner hypocrisy. Every other funeral goes from church to crematorium. Storey is carried around West Belfast like a team bringing home the Sam Maguire.

Where did I say this?

What did you mean by the 'IRA was adjunct to NICRA'?

The IRA was part of the formation of NICRA represented by McMillen. It was adjunct or supplementary or whatever you meant.

Like Adams says about the IRA there are those who say he and those who say he wasn't.
    I have no idea of the truth of that or what he says about NICRA or what others say about him.

Neither do you, unless you were there, you are just choosing who to believe.

I was pointing out the utter and abject stretching you are doing blanch, with a bit of humour that seems to have gone over people's heads.

Humour? About that funeral? And the hurt being felt by many people around the country which has forced the ladies of Sinn Fein to apologise?

Would that not be in bad taste?

Adams is a proven liar.

He told one story to Spotlight about his knowledge of the child abuse carried out by his brother. He told another story to a court.

He got away with not being charged with perjury, because nobody could know which one was the truth, but it proved his status as a liar.

The story to Spotlight which has curiously disappeared?

Humour? About that funeral? And the hurt being felt by many people around the country which has forced the ladies of Sinn Fein to apologise?

Yes blanch, about a funeral...nobody ever used humour about a funeral ever. You and your friends here are depicting people mourning at another funeral as all sorts. I have been likened to 'scum' in the last few posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Sinn Féin living rent free in Blanchs head

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What did you mean by the 'IRA was adjunct to NICRA'?

The IRA was part of the formation of NICRA represented by McMillen. It was adjunct or supplementary or whatever you meant.

Like Adams says about the IRA there are those who say he and those who say he wasn't.
    I have no idea of the truth of that or what he says about NICRA or what others say about him.

Neither do you, unless you were there, you are just choosing who to believe.

Adams and others are trying to pretend that the Provos became a sort of armed civil rights movement, seeking the same thing as NICRA.

That is nonsense. NICRA did not support a united Ireland and the Provos dismissed NICRA demands as reformist and partitionist.

Which is what led to the split, with Adams and McMillan's different wings of the IRA trying to kill one another for ten years.

As for Adams being in the IRA, only an imbecile would believe that he wasn't. The historical record of those who were in the IRA and who knew him as a leadership figure, including Chief of Staff, proves that he was.

The fact that the Village of the Damned kids who have largely taken over the movement since the surrender believe that he was not says a ,ot about how effective the Big Lie is.

Adams doesn't give a fart that those who were in the movement when it mattered laugh at his lies.

That is not the point. His target is the electorate because if they can obliterate history then they can convince them to vote for them.

• Advertisement

Adams and others are trying to pretend that the Provos became a sort of armed civil rights movement, seeking the same thing as NICRA.

That is nonsense. NICRA did not support a united Ireland and the Provos dismissed NICRA demands as reformist and partitionist.

Which is what led to the split, with Adams and McMillan's different wings of the IRA trying to kill one another for ten years.

As for Adams being in the IRA, only an imbecile would believe that he wasn't. The historical record of those who were in the IRA and who knew him as a leadership figure, including Chief of Staff, proves that he was.

The fact that the Village of the Damned kids who have largely taken over the movement since the surrender believe that he was not says a ,ot about how effective the Big Lie is.

Adams doesn't give a fart that those who were in the movement when it mattered laugh at his lies.

That is not the point. His target is the electorate because if they can obliterate history then they can convince them to vote for them.

So say you were not in the RA but get your second in command and many more to openly admit they were ....in the hope you can fool the electorate as a political party?

Ha ha ha...two seconds to show up your nonsense. Any more gems of historical analysis there Bonnie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Very strong piece in the Irish Times today from Stephen Collins about the continued influence of the IRA Army Council on the machinations of the SF party: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/storey-funeral-a-reminder-that-ira-army-council-runs-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4294619

It spells out in very clear and stark terms that we are not dealing with a normal political party here. This is a party that has its eyes on being in Government in the 'Free State', and takes its orders from violent men in the ilk of Storey.

Of course this doesn't matter to the blind defenders of a sinister political party, but this week opened a lot of eyes to what SF is really about.

"The Bobby Storey funeral is another reminder not simply that the IRA has not gone away but that its army council is the ruling body of Sinn Féin. Clearly some voters have no problem with that but the episode should alert the wider electorate to what a vote for Sinn Féin actually means".

Sinn Féin living rent free in Blanchs head

I don't think you have answered a single point I have made other than to throw a personal insult.

Very strong piece in the Irish Times today from Stephen Collins about the continued influence of the IRA Army Council on the machinations of the SF party: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/storey-funeral-a-reminder-that-ira-army-council-runs-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4294619

It spells out in very clear and stark terms that we are not dealing with a normal political party here. This is a party that has its eyes on being in Government in the 'Free State', and takes its orders from violent men in the ilk of Storey.

Of course this doesn't matter to the blind defenders of a sinister political party, but this week opened a lot of eyes to what SF is really about.

"The Bobby Storey funeral is another reminder not simply that the IRA has not gone away but that its army council is the ruling body of Sinn Féin. Clearly some voters have no problem with that but the episode should alert the wider electorate to what a vote for Sinn Féin actually means".

Zero credibility on the shock and awe JF.
    Deputy First Minister Michelle O'Neill has said she will never apologise for attending the funeral of the IRA veteran.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0703/1151100-northern-ireland-politics/

These shinner/RA exposes are jaded. They own the relationship.

I see Fosters real issue is MON/SF attended the funeral at all.
    That, added to the complete hypocrisy from yourself and others on the Garda funeral and social distancing has shone a light on the fact that the shinners are still a worry and losing power is more of a concern than the actual running of the state, which just got a new government by the way. Was news up until recently...
    Story is a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Zero credibility on the shock and awe JF.

I see Fosters real issue is MON/SF attended the funeral at all.
    That, added to the complete hypocrisy from yourself and others on the Garda funeral and social distancing has shone a light on the fact that the shinners are still a worry and losing power is more of a concern than the actual running of the state, which just got a new government by the way. Was news up until recently...
    Story is a farce.
    The issue I have with Fosters criticism is that if Mrs Windsor died in the morning, Darlene would be on the first plane over to London and you can be guaranteed that there'd be a darn side more than 30 at the funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I thought you were all on for a bit of humour and light heartedness? Didn't you tell us that there was absolutely nothing wrong with leo injecting a bit of humour into his speeches regarding covid and the thousands of people that died or had lost jobs due to ?

And by the way, I think by humour Francie was referring to ripping the piss out of your OTT postings, not the funerals. Doh.

The issue I have with Fosters criticism is that if Mrs Windsor died in the morning, Darlene would be on the first plane over to London and you can be guaranteed that there'd be a darn side more than 30 at the funeral

For all of us watching the North from the outside, the conclusion that they are better left to each other gets stronger and stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

So, your issue with Arlene Foster is the way you believe she will behave in an entirely hypothetical situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I heard a gem on the RTE news at one (after bashing SF all morning) The RTE US correspondent said the big rise in covid cases had nothing to do with the BLM protests as 'there is little chance of catching covid outdoors'
    The Storey funeral was outdoors if I am correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

The problem is that in Ireland this is no longer the case - those prices are going up, but incomes are not keeping pace.

Off the top of my head, the government has to disincentivise the use of existing property (both residential and commercial) as an investment vehicle, build large scale subsidised social housing like we did in the 20th century, engage in serious root-and-branch reform of personal injury laws so that businesses are no longer held liable for their patrons' own stupidity, reform the insurance sector, reduce VAT and excise duty for the hospitality sector, improve inter-city and inter-county public transport infrastructure, tackle commercial and private landlords to reduce the cost of housing and of doing business alike, and slash spending on vanity projects which nobody actually wants and public entities which refuse to get their own houses in order (take RTE for instance).

The first on that list is the big one and that's what I and many others talk about when we talk about smashing the paradigm of housing as an investment vehicle instead of as a place to live. The trading and subsequent of residential property by people and entities so they can be used to milk money from people in the form of rent is something we should never have normalised as a society - if you don't live in it and you didn't build it, you shouldn't be the one who owns it.

OK at least this is a coherent collection of suggestions though I suspect there is an unreality to it in that it contains the double wish of lower taxes and more services. Unfortunately one moves co-relative to the other. To put it crudely you can have a Trump model of low taxes but you pay for your own **** and public services are minimal or a Nordic high tax and high social/ state services model

To comment specifically

1. Not sure what disincentivising private property and/or tackling Landlords actually means. You can certainly make it illegal (though would need a referendum) to own real property of either residential or commercial unless you actually occupied it but it would mean nothing to rent in either sector which seems impractical. Already payment of rent on residential property is essentially voluntary which is why so many Landlords have got out. The result is less to rent, more demand ,less supply; rents go up

2. Big social housing means big taxes. And just so you know a "tax the rich" solution does not work because there are not enough rich. Plus the more you do it the more people don't bother becoming rich and/or take their money and go where they can keep it. Already plenty of Irish in Monaco. So he price is middle income earners get hosed.

3. Personal injuries. All I will say is ask anyone who got a lot of money on a personal injury whether it was worth the injury. Dont know one - save a very few who suffered a minor soft tissue spoofy injury. What we could do is take the lawyer out of it so if you are injured you are compensated without having to prove negligence. They do it in Australia though I think that is motor claims only. Agree that Courts are too generous - particularly to idiots falling over in pubs but not sure what the solution is .Outlaw idiocy?

4. Public Transport? Again Big taxes

As you can see there are no "Lets form a band and save the school" solutions. I expect the centre parties FF/FG Labour are trying to balance all the pressures. The far left PBF etc just want all the stuff but have no concept that we will have to pay for it, while Sinn Fein will tell you anything you like to get power and again have no notion of how anything will be paid for - mainly because of the low standard of person they attract but also because their experience to date is in Northern Ireland where the Brits have created a free money tunnel to keep the two sides from killing each other

OPEN FOR IDEAS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement