Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

So, your issue with Arlene Foster is the way you believe she will behave in an entirely hypothetical situation?

Oh I know she'd be over for that funeral being first Minister unless it was on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

So say you were not in the RA but get your second in command and many more to openly admit they were ....in the hope you can fool the electorate as a political party?

Ha ha ha...two seconds to show up your nonsense. Any more gems of historical analysis there Bonnie?

I have no explanation for the multitude of lies he has told over the years; from denying what anyone with half a brain (that's your opt out Francie :) knows about his being in the IRA, lies about his rapist brother and how he was protected, to people who were buried on beaches on his say so, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I have no explanation for the multitude of lies he has told over the years; from denying what anyone with half a brain (that's your opt out Francie :) knows about his being in the IRA, lies about his rapist brother and how he was protected, to people who were buried on beaches on his say so, and so on.

With the exception of his brother, who he has admitted and apolgised for handling all wrong, I'll tell you what you and me don't have is 'proof' that he is lying or others are.
    With regard to the IRA I don't care anymore whether he was or not. Did he build the peace as he promised...yes IMO, he risked his own life to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I accept that people are upset that Storey's funeral showed scant regard for social distancing etc. I would be more offended that they gave this sectarian thug the title of being a republican. (Non capital letters intentional)

With the exception of his brother, who he has admitted and apolgised for handling all wrong, I'll tell you what you and me don't have is 'proof' that he is lying or others are.
    With regard to the IRA I don't care anymore whether he was or not. Did he build the peace as he promised...yes IMO, he risked his own life to do that.

There was peace before 1969. That was not what it was about for the IRA.

• Advertisement

Tell that to my dad who was born there in the late 20's.

If you call 'peace' a society that partitionists can ignore...then yeh, there was bountiful peace and provident harvests.

Jesus, the poster priding himself on his grasp of history comes out with that mouthful.

By the way, as far as I know, SF's opinion is (and I share it) there will be no peace on this island until partition is gotten rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

1. The IRA are a criminal gang. They dont have a register of members held by the little old lady in No 2. I have no doubt that in Gerry's rat like mind he thinks he was not "in" the IRA becsuse as one of the founders he never actually went through whatever gang initiation ceremony they had.

2. Gerry is all about Gerry. The sad truth is that although it did bring a peace of sorts the "peace process" was a sellout and " give in" To Paisley and Adams. The bad guys won. My own belief is that Gerry is far more sinister, self serving and evil than even his own side know. I don't believe that stakeknife ran his sordid death campaign alone. The one thing Gerry has is a rat cunning intelligence and I dont believe for a second he did not know and control what was going on. It will all emerge at some stage no doubt.

Peace is the absence of war and armed conflict.

Of course northern Catholics were treated like sh1t. That is one of reasons the IRA opposed partition. Until it surrendered obviously with partition still in place.

I supported the ceasefire by the way. It is the political surrender and abandonment of any serious republican project for unity that I find objectionable. That is why the 30 years of armed conflict were a needless waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I know its Friday but lay off the Dutch Gold. If the Northern state had treated the Nationalists with respect and equality there would never have been Troubles. The minority would have looked South and have said "**** that for a game of cowboys"

So the objective of the IRA was a reformed Northern Ireland was it? Or peace?

• Advertisement

Of course northern Catholics were treated like sh1t. That is one of reasons the IRA opposed partition. Until it surrendered obviously with partition still in place.

I supported the ceasefire by the way. It is the political surrender and abandonment of any serious republican project for unity that I find objectionable. That is why the 30 years of armed conflict were a needless waste.

No more than those luxuriating in the higher moral ground of the south, did you ever pause to wonder what the independence of Ireland 'cost'?

I would seriously wonder about your dissident like careful choice of words there...'I supported the ceasefire'.

Did you support the GFA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    For all of us watching the North from the outside, the conclusion that they are better left to each other gets stronger and stronger.

Some of us would never leave our fellow countrymen and women in the lurch. Sad that a sensational news story would have some turn their back.
    Irish people like Arlene will always have my welcome despite her confused outlook ;)

I heard a gem on the RTE news at one (after bashing SF all morning) The RTE US correspondent said the big rise in covid cases had nothing to do with the BLM protests as 'there is little chance of catching covid outdoors'
    The Storey funeral was outdoors if I am correct.

Foster's big issue now it seems is MON attended the funeral at all.

Bowie wrote: »
    Foster's big issue now it seems is MON attended the funeral at all.

Manna from heaven for the Unionists, they'll try and keep this going until the 12th, ably assisted by our outraged partitionists in the south no doubt.

She'll be wanting O'Neill to disown Storey altogether next.

What was it about?
    The fact that many entered politics should be welcomed IMO. The fact that some politicians and parties will pat themselves on the back for ushering in peace and talk out the side of their mouths about the 'RA if asked awkward questions is disappointing.

No more than those luxuriating in the higher moral ground of the south, did you ever pause to wonder what the independence of Ireland 'cost'?

I would seriously wonder about your dissident like careful choice of words there...'I supported the ceasefire'.

Did you support the GFA?

I had family members who luxuriated in Ballykinlar, Mountjoy, the Curragh and Portlaoise when people in west Belfast were being told who to vote for by priests.

I didn't support the GFA because it accepts partition and Stormont. Two things that Adams and co said they would never accept in 1994 and indeed right up until the final negotiations in April 1998.

The people felt their was a need for the IRA. To suggest they were created in a vacuum by some self interested parties with no public support just isn't the case. You can disagree with their methods, but people wanted them and felt they needed them.

I had family members who luxuriated in Ballykinlar, Mountjoy, the Curragh and Portlaoise when people in west Belfast were being told who to vote for by priests.

I didn't support the GFA because it accepts partition and Stormont. Two things that Adams and co said they would never accept in 1994 and indeed right up until the final negotiations in April 1998.

Fair enough. I could not take a dissident position to an agreement that legitimised getting rid of partition and delivered so much for Irish people.

I think it took fundamentally brave men and women to accept that armed conflict had reached stalemate and nobody was going to win.
    I think Adams and McGuinness's achievement in holding the peace was incredible. Took me a long time to believe their bona fides. A peaceful transition to a UI will be a testament to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

And what did your family members do to earn their place in Ballykinlar Mountjoy the Curragh and Portlaoise?

They were fighting for a Catholic Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

As much as I despise and disagree with everything SF are about, I do find it laughable that Arlene Foster has asked O'Neill to step aside during the "investigation"

Has foster a short memory?

She refused to step aside during the cash for ash scandal that enriched many of her supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭standardg60

How on Earth could you not support it?
    Sure they accepted it because it gave the one thing NI catholics always wanted, power sharing.
    Imo Unionists gave up far more, they could have stopped at power sharing but recognising the right of the majority to accept UI was truly democratic.
    Stop looking at it from one side, it's not current Unionists fault they ended up where they are today, it's an historical sh*tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Darc19 wrote: »
    As much as I despise and disagree with everything SF are about, I do find it laughable that Arlene Foster has asked O'Neill to step aside during the "investigation"

Has foster a short memory?

She refused to step aside during the cash for ash scandal that enriched many of her supporters

Talk about a brass neck. :pac::pac:
    Shes shocking.

it gave the one thing NI catholics always wanted, power sharing.

Power sharing in running part of the UK has nothing to do with republicanism.

Power sharing in running part of the UK has nothing to do with republicanism.

Not your brand anyhow.
    What's the next move? More dissident activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭christy c

Talk about a brass neck. :pac::pac:
    Shes shocking.

Much as I despise SF, you'd have to pity them dealing with people like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Whatever your view you've got think this has been a bad week for new leader Micheal Martin ,first you had the West coast ignored, then the junior minister refusals, SF taking the headlines with Storry's funeral ( it's publicity, good or bad, doesn't matter, ask Terri) , then you have the Green minister being friends with someone who wants to shag 14 year olds, No honeymoon period.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The people felt their was a need for the IRA. To suggest they were created in a vacuum by some self interested parties with no public support just isn't the case. You can disagree with their methods, but people wanted them and felt they needed them.

The bit in bold is the biggest lie put forward by the SF/IRA apologists.

The people never wanted the IRA. They only voted for Sinn Fein once the IRA stopped killing people for no reason. Yes, the nationalist people, they wanted a united Ireland, but they never wanted idiotic kids and criminal sociopaths to go around killing and bombing to get one. However, they are still a minority in the North.

What the people want, and the election results show this time and again, is peace and to remain part of the UK. It is delusional to imagine anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some of us would never leave our fellow countrymen and women in the lurch. Sad that a sensational news story would have some turn their back.
    Irish people like Arlene will always have my welcome despite her confused outlook ;)

Arlene isn't Irish, that is the fundamental flaw in your thinking. She is British, and is entitled to be British. By surrendering and accepting the GFA, the IRA accepted that that is her right.

The linkage of race and nationality to territory is the cause of so many wars in this world of ours. Yes, we should respect distinction, yes if people want to come together as one race or one nation, let them, but it is not based on territory, it is based on shared experiences. We don't need a united Ireland to have a united Irish people - that is the essence of the reformed Article 2, and that is the message we have to embrace.

Those who cling to the old tenets of nationalism are the dinosaurs of our time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blanch152 wrote: »
    Arlene isn't Irish, that is the fundamental flaw in your thinking. She is British, and is entitled to be British. By surrendering and accepting the GFA, the IRA accepted that that is her right.

The linkage of race and nationality to territory is the cause of so many wars in this world of ours. Yes, we should respect distinction, yes if people want to come together as one race or one nation, let them, but it is not based on territory, it is based on shared experiences. We don't need a united Ireland to have a united Irish people - that is the essence of the reformed Article 2, and that is the message we have to embrace.

Those who cling to the old tenets of nationalism are the dinosaurs of our time.

Any of that smoke left?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement