Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

joeguevara wrote: »
    Your 7 posts so far have been on Wolfe Tones, IRA and Sinn Fein and you ask why other people are obsessed with Sinn Fein?

Well I’m a member - you don’t see me looking to bash the Greens/Labour etc. because they haven’t been in the news 😂

They’re definitely the most talked about/popular party on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Well I’m a member - you don’t see me looking to bash the Greens/Labour etc. because they haven’t been in the news ��

They’re definitely the most talked about/popular party on this site.

You're in the Wolfe Tones?

Fair fks to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What is it with people’s obsession with SF on Boards..

They are a shadowy and slightly sinister party who take their orders from men of the ilk of Adams and Storey. They celebrate the murderers of Gardaí. They admire diesel smugglers. They cover up sexual abuse within their own party, and use their online army to denigrate and cast aspersions on victims like Cahill.

They promise new politics when all their spouting is the worst sort of populist rhetoric.

They are not a normal party. That appeals to a certain type of person, but it’s an affront to those of us who happen to think Ireland is a nice place to live, and a huge success story overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They are a shadowy and slightly sinister party who take their orders from men of the ilk of Adams and Storey. They celebrate the murderers of Gardaí. They admire diesel smugglers. They cover up sexual abuse within their own party, and use their online army to denigrate and cast aspersions on victims like Cahill.

They promise new politics when all their spouting is the worst sort of populist rhetoric.

They are not a normal party. That appeals to a certain type of person, but it’s an affront to those of us who happen to think Ireland is a nice place to live, and a huge success story overall.

Most towns in Ireland are kips, the city centre in Dublin is a knacker fest with drug dealing and drug taking happening on our most iconic street 24 hours a day. Like every other country, it has nice places but it also has its fair share of kips.
    Record Housing Crisis, Rents out of control, Hospitals A & E Crsis at an all time high, all time high waiting for medical procedures.

People voted for other parties bar FF and FG for this reason and plenty more not because you think SF supporters are all a certain type of person. All types of people voted them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They are the only strong viable option to FF/FG at the moment.
    They also have the IRA connection which will do in a pinch when FF/FG are criticised about present day political shenanigans.
    So you'll see an awful lot of unrelated references to the 'RA in conversations ranging from the FF TD who covered for his pedophile cousin, to the FF Ceann Comhairle who wrote a reference letter for a pedophile, the two FG'ers who flouted Covid restrictions to see MM inaugurated, the Cowen drunk driving story, Varadkar choosing lines from movies for a fun inside joke and a bet when talking about Covid deaths.
    Like you might be talking about the FG minister Heather Humphries who wrote a letter to have charges of animal cruelty dropped against a man who was/is banned from having animals in the first place and someone might bring up Dessie Ellis or the Storey funeral and lack of social distancing. Which was poor form IMO, like that garda funeral.
    You'll also see many hateful references like 'no normal person' would support or 'appeal to a certain type of person'. Basically it seems to be okay on Boards to denigrate people because they didn't vote Fine Gael. So they have at it willy nilly.

• Advertisement

Most towns in Ireland are kips, the city centre in Dublin is a knacker fest with drug dealing and drug taking happening on our most iconic street 24 hours a day. Like every other country, it has nice places but it also has its fair share of kips.
    Record Housing Crisis, Rents out of control, Hospitals A & E Crsis at an all time high, all time high waiting for medical procedures.

People voted for other parties bar FF and FG for this reason and plenty more not because you think SF supporters are all a certain type of person. All types of people voted them.

That's a tough one. It means everyday people preferred SF to FG/FF and they can't handle that so they resort to bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Bowie wrote: »
    That's a tough one. It means everyday people preferred SF to FG/FF and they can't handle that so they resort to bitterness.

What bitterness is that you're on about?

What bitterness is that you're on about?

This kind of thing.
    ... They cover up sexual abuse within their own party, and use their online army to denigrate and cast aspersions on victims like Cahill.

These repeated propaganda and insults aimed at anyone threw SF a vote. It shouldn't be allowed IMO. It's an insult to people for not voting a certain way.
    You think this is acceptable discussion?

This kind of thing.

These repeated propaganda and insults aimed at anyone threw SF a vote. It shouldn't be allowed IMO. It's an insult to people for not voting a certain way.
    You think this is acceptable discussion?

It's his opinion, he is entitled to it.
    I've, seen the online, stuff some SF supporters put up about sheep for instance, not my Taoiseach, personal stuff about Leo, Michael and Éamon, the three stooges pics and other stuff put up by known SF supporters to me.
    Lets face it social media is a general cess pit for abusive terms.
    It's not unique to any party by any means but on my feeds at least SF supporters are by far the worst.

It's his opinion, he is entitled to it.
    I've, seen the online, stuff some SF supporters put up about sheep for instance, not my Taoiseach, personal stuff about Leo, Michael and Éamon, the three stooges pics and other stuff put up by known SF supporters to me.
    Lets face it social media is a general cess pit for abusive terms.
    It's not unique to any party by any means but on my feeds at least SF supporters are by far the worst.

And that's my opinion.
    It's beyond party politics IMO. I think a party and it's politicians are fair game as long as it's about their politics or issues in the public interest. That includes the IRA, have at it.
    See my impression is it's mainly by far FG supporters. Anyway, I think insulting people because you don't like the party they may or may not support is pretty low quality discussion, desperate and bitter IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

And that's my opinion.
    It's beyond party politics IMO. I think a party and it's politicians are fair game as long as it's about their politics or issues in the public interest. That includes the IRA, have at it.
    See my impression is it's mainly by far FG supporters. Anyway, I think insulting people because you don't like the party they may or may not support is pretty low quality discussion, desperate and bitter IMO.

You best take off those tinted glasses so,because if they are causing that skewed a view of what goes on in soc media,God knows what one sided views you might be harbouring on everything and anything else unbeknownst to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And that's my opinion.

The lazy assumption that anything bad on social media is one party's fault when the reality is that those people are loyal to no party. Handy ammo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

good question. most of the people starting the threads (apparently) arent fans of SF. They'll have to come out of the 'I love Sinn Fein' closet some day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Haven’t been on in a while. What do the shinners here have to say about the fish wife’s jaunt up north? Major **** up there. Orders must have come down from the council. She’s hardly that stupid?

And that's my opinion.

It wasn’t aimed at anyone here, dude. It’s more remarking upon how SF supporters flood the journal, Facebook, twitter etc and use various tactics to silence critics, deflect criticism, and employ other dark arts. Like suggesting the morals and character of M Cahill weren’t up to scratch to use one extremely nasty and depressing example.

In fairness, journalists in our print media are starting to write about it.

It wasn’t aimed at anyone here, dude. It’s more remarking upon how SF supporters flood the journal, Facebook, twitter etc and use various tactics to silence critics, deflect criticism, and employ other dark arts. Like suggesting the morals and character of M Cahill weren’t up to scratch to use one extremely nasty and depressing example.

No they're not fair Johnny, don't you know that the general media is biased towards the power swap parties.
    Some papers and TV stations should be boycotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I see even Gene Kerrigan taking a pop at SF today in the Sindo. And a strong piece from Máiría Cahill, a woman whose name SF and its online patsies did their best to try and drag through the mud.

Must say I enjoyed the Mairia Cahill description of her granny facing down Storey. It once again showed the old adage of bullies being cowards at heart.

With all due respect to his family, the world is a safer and nicer place without Bobby Storey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Sinn Féin still living rent free in the head Blanch

It’s crazy all right. If you look at the numbers of posts by poster in SF threads, you will see defenders of SF posting two and three times the number of posts by any other poster. Other times you will see SF posters adopting usernames to point out certain things about FF or FG. Where do SF get these obsessed supporters from?

Sinn Féin still living rent free in the head Blanch

Seems I am living rent-free in yours, sorry about that.

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You best take off those tinted glasses so,because if they are causing that skewed a view of what goes on in soc media,God knows what one sided views you might be harbouring on everything and anything else unbeknownst to yourself

I think I explained my view thanks for the insight though

You constantly refer to the kind of people who you believe support SF.
    And here you are again doing same.
    Why not quote these claims and respond to them rather than generalising and leaving no proof or room for dispute?
    Show this in the media then. Generalising with no quotes sounds made up JF.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It’s crazy all right. If you look at the numbers of posts by poster in SF threads, you will see defenders of SF posting two and three times the number of posts by any other poster. Other times you will see SF posters adopting usernames to point out certain things about FF or FG. Where do SF get these obsessed supporters from?

So what? You've issues with people having opinions?
    Again, generalisation without quotes is no better than made up.
    'Many FG posters post antisocial and racist comments'....see how that works?
    Many like myself are likely not even SF supporters, just like to call out pro FG ****e.
    Who's SF obsessed? :)

Show this in the media then. Generalising with no quotes sounds made up JF.

Sure thing, dude.

Mick Clifford in the Examiner: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/columnists/michael-clifford-debating-the-tired-claims-of-media-bias-1006275.html

It’s always different, it would appear, when it comes to perceptions among the Shinners of media bias.
    Any coverage that touches on the party’s past, culture, structures or extraordinary wealth is deemed unacceptable and actually a product of this bias. On social media, coverage of these issues is presented as examples of how “the media” has it in for the party. This sentiment is then amplified exponentially in the echo chamber of social media.

Colm Kenna in the Times:

I was prompted to write something about populism after being contacted by someone who was appalled by postings he’d tracked on Facebook, published by people commenting on Irish politics. Most of the commentary was angry, some of it was vicious, and almost all of it chimed with the definition for populism cited above.

Among the material he forwarded were screenshots of the work of a man who produces tens of postings on Facebook, hour after hour, day after day. He has five thousand followers, including “community pages” for groups who generate and circulate similar material.

The man has a voluntary officer role in the local organisation of a sitting TD. I asked him, over Facebook, to contact me, but he didn’t. His TD, whom I telephoned, and who follows him on Facebook, said he was “a very nice man” and expressed surprise that he might publish postings that could be considered offensive.

I decided when writing this not to name the party or the activist, in order to avoid a sterile debate where those who support the party in question would simply hurl abuse in response, and the whole point of raising the topic would be lost.

Many of the man’s postings are accompanied by photo-shopped images. One that he seems to like is a cartoon of a hairy male bottom, with the superimposed faces of Leo Varadkar and Micheal Martin, one on each cheek. “Two cheeks of the same arse”, reads the caption. Another favoured image shows the two politicians, one in each of two toilet bowls: “The same sh*te in different toilets.”

“If I had nothing to live for on this earth and I had made the decision to end my life, I would find a way of getting Leo the liar and as many others in FF and FG TDs and I would do my best to wipe them out and I know it would be great for Ireland and the iron grip these b**tards have on our country would all but end and I would never hit a woman but on that occasion I’m making a few exceptions. Imagine how great it would be to be breaking [a named FG TD’s] nose with a headbutt, keep Leo and Harris until last, and torture them both. I despise these scum and what they are doing to our country and its people. Pure unadulterated scum.”

That's a few quotes.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s interesting to note the importance the IRA and Sinn Fein attaches to funerals and their reverence for the dead when they denied funerals to many of the victims they cowardly “disappeared”.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Sure thing, dude.

Mick Clifford in the Examiner: https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/columnists/michael-clifford-debating-the-tired-claims-of-media-bias-1006275.html

It’s always different, it would appear, when it comes to perceptions among the Shinners of media bias.
    Any coverage that touches on the party’s past, culture, structures or extraordinary wealth is deemed unacceptable and actually a product of this bias. On social media, coverage of these issues is presented as examples of how “the media” has it in for the party. This sentiment is then amplified exponentially in the echo chamber of social media.

Colm Kenna in the Times:

I was prompted to write something about populism after being contacted by someone who was appalled by postings he’d tracked on Facebook, published by people commenting on Irish politics. Most of the commentary was angry, some of it was vicious, and almost all of it chimed with the definition for populism cited above.

Among the material he forwarded were screenshots of the work of a man who produces tens of postings on Facebook, hour after hour, day after day. He has five thousand followers, including “community pages” for groups who generate and circulate similar material.

The man has a voluntary officer role in the local organisation of a sitting TD. I asked him, over Facebook, to contact me, but he didn’t. His TD, whom I telephoned, and who follows him on Facebook, said he was “a very nice man” and expressed surprise that he might publish postings that could be considered offensive.

I decided when writing this not to name the party or the activist, in order to avoid a sterile debate where those who support the party in question would simply hurl abuse in response, and the whole point of raising the topic would be lost.

Many of the man’s postings are accompanied by photo-shopped images. One that he seems to like is a cartoon of a hairy male bottom, with the superimposed faces of Leo Varadkar and Micheal Martin, one on each cheek. “Two cheeks of the same arse”, reads the caption. Another favoured image shows the two politicians, one in each of two toilet bowls: “The same sh*te in different toilets.”

“If I had nothing to live for on this earth and I had made the decision to end my life, I would find a way of getting Leo the liar and as many others in FF and FG TDs and I would do my best to wipe them out and I know it would be great for Ireland and the iron grip these b**tards have on our country would all but end and I would never hit a woman but on that occasion I’m making a few exceptions. Imagine how great it would be to be breaking [a named FG TD’s] nose with a headbutt, keep Leo and Harris until last, and torture them both. I despise these scum and what they are doing to our country and its people. Pure unadulterated scum.”

That's a few quotes.

:cool:

Some journalists have personal opinions. Okay so.
    Some people say about FG what I've read about SF here, 'scum' etc.

Here's some peoples opinions.
    Here's a Green TD:
    A Green Party TD involved in government formation talks suggested Fine Gael TDs had a "personal interest" in keeping rents high because more than a third of them are landlords.[

Neasa Hourigan said in a tweet posted in 2017 that "bias due to personal interest is definitely an issue" after referencing figures showing 36pc of Fine Gael's TDs were landlords.

Fine Gael minister John Paul Phelan last night accused Ms Hourigan of "casting aspersions" on Fine Gael deputies and called on her to clarify the remarks from three years ago.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-minister-claims-that-some-green-members-openly-hate-private-property-and-free-enterprise-39202372.html
     Dublin councilor has suggested that people who took part in the anti-racism protests in Dublin should have their €350 COVID-19 payments cut.

Fine Gael Councilor David McManus told a Dublin radio station that the "reckless" protesters should have their weekly payments removed "as their actions are a blatant breach of public health guidelines."

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/racism-protesters-covid19-payment-cut
    Fine Gael TD says comments by party byelection candidate ‘dangerous’Verona Murphy, FG candidate in Wexford, said some asylum seekers ‘infiltrated by Isis’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-td-says-comments-by-party-byelection-candidate-dangerous-1.4087255
    Brendan O'Connor: 'Is Fine Gael now happy to get votes from racists?'

In Zagreb last Thursday, Varadkar seemed to be getting almost impatient with people asking him about Verona: "She's apologised twice now for what she said and she's withdrawn her remarks in full. That's good enough for me." Is it really? Is that good enough for him? Is he happy now that she is fit to represent his party in an election? If nothing else, is he not worried about the optics of this? A person makes appalling statements, that are wildly untrue, that basically try to stir up racially based mistrust of three- and four-year-old children, in the course of an election campaign, and the Government is standing by her as their candidate?

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/brendan-oconnor-is-fine-gael-now-happy-to-get-votes-from-racists-38720725.html

These opinions must be 100% fact right?
    If I post some right wing quotes can I assign them to FG? If I quote some FG calling SF supporters scum or knuckle daggers is that all FG'ers?

'People, likely FG supporters say things on the internet. Racist party'..not really legit.

Generalising constantly is a game we can all play.

I criticised this from the get go. Pointing out the political point scoring ain't wahtaboutery.

Who is 'we' by the way?

I noticed you deleted you contention that Mairead McGuinness and Kellegher didn't travel from Brussels...did the rest of the 'we' tip you off that the lies about that had been rumbled?
    Maybe Mort kept a screenshot of it. :)

I see Kelliher has apologised for his trip from Brussels and said that he shouldn’t have travelled. Now that is a proper apology and not some mealy-mouthed half-apology like Mary-lous or Michelle’s

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I see Kelliher has apologised for his trip from Brussels and said that he shouldn’t have travelled. Now that is a proper apology and not some mealy-mouthed half-apology like Mary-lous or Michelle’s

I think they apologised for the hurt caused by the breaches.

As I said before I think it a sad indictment that people are asking mourners to apologise for going to a funeral.
    There have been several high profile funerals during the pandemic, I didn't say a thing about anybody who went to them and I am not starting now.

I'm sure he meant it. Like your one drove up and brought her mother. They knew they were flouting restrictions.
    MON and MLM didn't apologise for atrending the funeral. They should have apologised for not social distancing IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Very surprised they shut down their Dublin South West organisation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement