Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

:):)

All funerals are a form of theatre Bonnie.
    His funeral notice said that 'afterwards there would be a short ceremony and oration'.

Any funeral i was ever at did not pretend that the person who had died was going to be buried there but wasn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mortelaro wrote: »
    You are comparing Bobby Storey to a murdered Garda's state Funeral

I didn't compare 'Bobby Storey' to anyone or anything Mort. Your subtlety isn't very good.

I compared 'funerals'.

Funerals and the bull**** that goes on around them, the fake eulogising etc makes me cringe tbh.

My own instructions are to chuck me on a rubbish tip somewhere and go to the pub. No church or ceremony.

Won't happen no doubt. But it will give you an idea what I think of them all, a SF one included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I didn't compare 'Bobby Storey' to anyone or anything Mort. Your subtlety isn't very good.

I compared 'funerals'.

Funerals and the bull**** that goes on around them, the fake eulogising etc makes me cringe tbh.

My own instructions are to chuck me on a rubbish tip somewhere and go to the pub. No church or ceremony.

Won't happen no doubt. But it will give you an idea what I think of them all, a SF one included.

yeah right

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Any funeral i was ever at did not pretend that the person who had died was going to be buried there but wasn't :)

There is NO 'person' there Bonnie, at any funeral, there is a body. You fell for the theatre! ;)
    You are assuming those there did not know he was to be cremated and ignoring the fact the crematorium was ready as were the PSNI and that a delagation of family and friends left the graveyard to go to the fecking crematorium. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

There was no reason why the Milltown part of the extravaganza couldn't have been postponed until the first anniversary of Storey's death. Even Putin postponed the WWII victory parade for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There is NO 'person' there Bonnie, at any funeral, there is a body. You fell for the theatre! ;)
    You are assuming those there did not know he was to be cremated and ignoring the fact the crematorium was ready as were the PSNI and that a delagation of family and friends left the graveyard to go to the fecking crematorium. :rolleyes:

"The person who had died," I believe I said. Storey was dead I assume so the Milltown thing could have been staged at a ballad session in the Felons. It made a mockery of a ceremony many people take seriously.

Only people offhand i can think of who might have been buried alive were republicans tortured and murdered by Scap to protect the Belfast Brigade traitors and touts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What makes anyone 'special' in death? Are we going to pretend now that everyone is treated equally in death and how they are buried?

It wasn't YOU who was burying him blanch, it was his family and his community and the party he belonged to.
    It was a graveside oration at the place where his ashes would be interred later.

I am full sure there would be political content, politics and SF were a more than significant part of the man's life after all. But I am also sure the character of Storey the man and what he meant to people would have been addressed too. MON recited a Robert Frost poem I believe, hardly party political, is it?

So, we have now established that it was a singularly unique funeral during the pandemic.

He wasn't buried, it was all for show, for a political oration.

Can we get an apology from you and the other SF fans for the comparisons with Garda Horkan who died while serving his country, unlike that criminal thug you are defending. We have had to put up with nauseating post after nauseating post comparing the funeral to Horkans, when all along, you, Bowie, McMurphy and others knew all along that the two funerals were very different in that he wasn't being buried, and that it was all for a political show.

No bother doing it when it was a 'servant of the state' though.
    Which I would fully agree with and had absolutely no problem with the many visible breaches that happened there btw.

I can use empathy and compassion when it is appropriate and I think EVRYONE did around that event.

Bobby Storey was a huge figure in the community. His death was sudden and a shock.
    If you want to discard your empathy fair enough.
    I accept SF got it wrong and made mistakes, but trying to make it a bigger thing than it actually was is a bit disgusting of the people involved in that.

I have said already that while Bobby Storey was a criminal thug who caused misery to many people, and that the world will be a nicer and safer place without him, to his family, he would be something else.

If you want an empathy deficit, you just have to listen to the words of the two leaders of Sinn Fein, unapologetic for going to the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have said already that while Bobby Storey was a criminal thug who caused misery to many people, and that the world will be a nicer and safer place without him, to his family, he would be something else.

If you want an empathy deficit, you just have to listen to the words of the two leaders of Sinn Fein, unapologetic for going to the funeral.

Was there any laws broken by anyone in Northern Ireland or for people returning to Republic of Ireland?

To more than 'his family', as evidenced by the turnout at his funeral.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    Was there any laws broken by anyone in Northern Ireland or for people returning to Republic of Ireland?

Does that really matter? It was the example shown by the two women leaders, shoving it in the face of the rest of the Irish people that we can pretend to bury our friend while the rest of you watch from a distance on a phone or a laptop while your loved ones are laid to rest.

There are many people who will not forgive Sinn Fein for this.

Does that really matter? It was the example shown by the two women leaders, shoving it in the face of the rest of the Irish people that we can pretend to bury our friend while the rest of you watch from a distance on a phone or a laptop while your loved ones are laid to rest.

It does matter. Was there any laws broken by organising a funeral in Northern Ireland or for returning to the Republic of Ireland. There either was or wasn't?

:):)

All funerals are a form of theatre Bonnie.
    His funeral notice said that 'afterwards there would be a short ceremony and oration'.

Are theatres open again?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    "The person who had died," I believe I said. Storey was dead I assume so the Milltown thing could have been staged at a ballad session in the Felons. It made a mockery of a ceremony many people take seriously.

We could have had no funerals at all during Covid. All of them could have been held over to avoid danger.

But some of them did breach regs. Unfortunate, but were they a crime of the magnitude being made out by the politically motivated?

Oh WAIT! There is only one funeral being used in that way.

I think SF can cope with you not forgiving them blanch.:)
    Why use the gender of the leaders by the way? The 'two women leaders'?

Bit of an odd thing to do. Was there a point to it?

We could have had no funerals at all during Covid. All of them could have been held over to avoid danger.

But some of them did breach regs. Unfortunate, but were they a crime of the magnitude being made out by the politically motivated?

Were there lots of funerals breaching regulations?

There may be only one funeral being focused on by the politically motivated, but maybe that's because it was the only funeral whose performance was so unashamedly politically motivated.

rdwight wrote: »

There may be only one funeral being focused on by the politically motivated, but maybe that's because it was the only funeral whose performance was so unashamedly politically motivated.

What laws were in place and were broken by a funeral in Northern Ireland and returning to the Republic of Ireland. I have asked 3 times and no one has pointed to any law broken.

At least you are honest enough to admit it is a politically motivated response.

Yes there were other funerals that breached regs, the funeral of an SDLP figure and the State funeral.

Not a peep out of anyone about Covid concerns with them.

At least the mask is off now. To coin an appropriate phrase maybe.

As you have already admitted, there was only one funeral during the pandemic that was used to make a political statement.
    I think SF can cope with you not forgiving them blanch.:)
    Why use the gender of the leaders by the way? The 'two women leaders'?

Bit of an odd thing to do. Was there a point to it?

Are you that desperate to try looking for an insult anywhere you can find it? The boys in Belfast are the real leaders of Sinn Fein, as we all know, hence the reference to the women leaders.

What laws were in place and were broken by a funeral in Northern Ireland and returning to the Republic of Ireland. I have asked 3 times and no one has pointed to any law broken.

None
    The funeral & Mass gathering was delayed until the day after travel restrictions within the Republic were lifted
    This allowed people from as far away as Cork to attend

• Advertisement

None
    The funeral & Mass gathering was delayed until the day after travel restrictions within the Republic were lifted
    This allowed people from as far away as Cork to attend

So, just to be sure, No Law broken, surely if people are getting so annoyed there must some law broken, some crime committed, some breach of legislation?

Yes there were other funerals that breached regs, the funeral of an SDLP figure and the State funeral.

Ah jaysus Francie, don't be getting yourself excited. I only accepted your premise to point out the flaw in your argument.

The funeral was used by Sinn Fein for political purposes, as you yourself have already admitted. Yet, you are now complaining that some of the responses to the funeral are politically motivated?

However, let's be clear, every single other party in the Assembly have joined together to condemn Sinn Fein and Michelle O'Neill. Why hasn't she apologised and resigned? Arrogance is the answer.

So, just to be sure, No Law broken, surely if people are getting so annoyed there must some law broken, some crime committed, some breach of legislation?

I don't know if there was any law broken. I believe that regulations on the number of people allowed in the church, only family members being allowed to carry coffins, and social distancing (eg Michelle selfie) were broken. It looks like Belfast City Council and the Crematorium were persuaded into contortions of the rules to facilitate this funeral at the expense of other funerals.

The spirit of the law/regulations was certainly broken.

The funeral was used by Sinn Fein for political purposes, as you yourself have already admitted. Yet, you are now complaining that some of the responses to the funeral are politically motivated?

However, let's be clear, every single other party in the Assembly have joined together to condemn Sinn Fein and Michelle O'Neill. Why hasn't she apologised and resigned? Arrogance is the answer.

Can I ask what breach of Law she should apologise for and what breach of law she should resign for? Surely not just because every other party dislikes Sinn Fein?

No law in the Republic of Ireland
    I'm not upset or Angry
    There were 1800 stewards lined up for a private citizens funeral
    That would have been significantly more than the 30 allowed attend
    There were also 8 families not allowed their entitlement of 30 people at the crematorium on that day
    Despite the 1800 stewards,a very bad job was done stewarding social distancing on the day
    Not the best optics

I don't know if there was any law broken. I believe that regulations on the number of people allowed in the church, only family members being allowed to carry coffins, and social distancing (eg Michelle selfie) were broken. It looks like Belfast City Council and the Crematorium were persuaded into contortions of the rules to facilitate this funeral at the expense of other funerals.

The spirit of the law/regulations was certainly broken.

Im asking for broken laws not broken spirits. Please try again and does it ever say specifically about family members carrying coffins. Also please reference the date of the ceremony to the law. Please don't use 'looks like' if you don't know the answer.

I'm not upset or Angry
    There were also 8 families not allowed their entitlement of 30 people at the crematorium on that day
    Despite the 1800 stewards,a very bad job was done stewarding social distancing on the day
    Not the best optics

So no law in the Republic of Ireland. Grand.

Now any law in Northern Ireland where it took place?

I'm not upset or Angry
    Not the best optics

Just keep the denial going that the Crematorium have said they operated as they do for any high profile funeral. I.E. there was nothing unusual, no white beardy men down from the hills intimidating them etc.
    Another attempt to portray what happened as sinister scotched, but still you persist,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Just keep the denial going that the Crematorium have said they operated as they do for any high profile funeral. I.E. there was nothing unusual, no white beardy men down from the hills intimidating them etc.
    Another attempt to portray what happened as sinister scotched, but still you persist,

Beats trying to defend FF/FG on their shenanigans :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement