Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

At least try and stay up to date. Another exaggeration. Here is the PSNI statement. Even uses the word 'engaged'.

Which PSNI statement is that because we have.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/psni-deny-mary-lou-mcdonald-claim-that-force-involved-in-planning-of-bobby-storey-funeral-39337494.html
    The PSNI has denied claims by Sinn Fein president Mary Lou McDonald that the force was involved in the planning of the funeral for IRA veteran Bobby Storey.

The Sinn Fein leader told RTE that the PSNI "meticulously planned" the funeral along with organisers and that it was the force which asked Sinn Fein to put stewards on the road.

However, PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Alan Todd, in a statement issued on Friday morning, denied those claims.

The senior officer said that PSNI had engaged with organisers before the funeral of the former IRA man in order that they "understood their obligations".

He added: To be clear, PSNI were not involved in the planning of this funeral and did not approve any plan for the funeral.

"Accordingly we were made aware of the plans for Tuesday’s funeral and local officers engaged with the celebrant and service organisers to highlight both the public health advice and risks around Covid-19, and the requirement for those attending to adhere to social distancing.

So it appears that SF, MoM and MLD want to drag the PSNI into the argument and use them as cover, when in truth they are over-egging the pudding and her statement that the PSNI ""meticulously planned" the funeral" is bogus.

So, has anyone gotten to the bottom of the fact that there was a funeral procession to the graveyard but Storey himself was to be cremated??

A fake funeral is where we are at now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

markodaly wrote: »
    So, has anyone gotten to the bottom of the fact that there was a funeral procession to the graveyard but Storey himself was to be cremated??

A fake funeral is where we are at now?

That's pretty desperate. You've never been to a funeral with a cremation? It's usually the exact same except theres no graveside burial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

joeguevara wrote: »
    So, just to be sure, No Law broken, surely if people are getting so annoyed there must some law broken, some crime committed, some breach of legislation?

The numbers restrictions at funerals is law subject to a max fine of £1000stg
    Its very unlikely that fines will be handed out for this one though
    Scorn will be fine enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The numbers restrictions at funerals is law subject to a max fine of £1000stg
    Its very unlikely that fines will be handed out for this one though
    Scorn will be fine enough

Can you show me the law and the reference date please? Who gets the fines, the individual or the family?

• Advertisement

Just keep the denial going that the Crematorium have said they operated as they do for any high profile funeral. I.E. there was nothing unusual, no white beardy men down from the hills intimidating them etc.
    Another attempt to portray what happened as sinister scotched, but still you persist,

its not a lie,its a fact that 8 families were denied their grieving rights to accommodate the Storey funeral
    That needn't have happened

its not a lie,its a fact that 8 families were denied their grieving rights to accommodate the Storey funeral
    That needn't have happened

Was there a possibility that they could have had it the next day? Could 8 have done it all in the one day anyway? Do you know if they had over 30 mourners each? Where are you getting this information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Bowie wrote: »
    That's pretty desperate. You've never been to a funeral with a cremation? It's usually the exact same except theres no graveside burial.

I've never been to a funeral at a cemetery when the the deceased was going to cremated several miles away.

Can you show me the law and the reference date please? Who gets the fines, the individual or the family?

I don't expect there to be any fines to be meated out

Attached is a quick Google for you
    You will need a sub to search the Irish Times by day
    The specific regulation will be on ni.gov.co.uk somewhere
    If you haven't found them yourself by later,I'll certainly look them up for you
    Was there a possibility that they could have had it the next day? Could 8 have done it all in the one day anyway? Do you know if they had over 30 mourners each? Where are you getting this information from?

several news outlets yesterday and the day before

Ill have a look. I tried earlier and it appeared to be guidelines etc, I couldn't find an actual law but this looks good. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

More talk yet again in here than on the Govt thread even after their first week went tits up from day 1 and is getting worse

rdwight wrote: »
    I've never been to a funeral at a cemetery when the the deceased was going to cremated several miles away.

Means nothing. I couldn't tell you were the people were cremated at the ones I was at. It didn't play into the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have never seen a coffin brought to say DeansGrange or Mulhuddart graveyards before going to Glasnevin for cremation.

A fake funeral for political purposes certainly seems to be where we are at now.

several news outlets yesterday and the day before

Had a look. That fine in the Irish Times sscreenshot for 1k is for breaches of travel from outside the CTA and Republic.

Social distancing for first offence is €90. Nothing about funerals. Nothing about only family members and nothing about 30. Looks like there is nothing Sinn Fein can actually apologise for.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

More talk yet again in here than on the Govt thread even after their first week went tits up from day 1 and is getting worse

I think that really shows what people think of the Sinn Fein shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Had a look. That fine in the Irish Times sscreenshot for 1k is for breaches of travel from outside the CTA and Republic.

Social distancing for first o
    ffence is €90. Nothing about funerals. Nothing about only family members and nothing about 30. Looks like there is nothing Sinn Fein can actually apologise for.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bobby-storey-funeral-5137876-Jun2020/

It comes after the North’s health minister – unionist Robin Swann – said the large number of attendees at the funeral today was a clear breach of Stormont restrictions limiting public gatherings to 30 people during the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bobby-storey-funeral-5137876-Jun2020/

It comes after the North’s health minister – unionist Robin Swann – said the large number of attendees at the funeral today was a clear breach of Stormont restrictions limiting public gatherings to 30 people during the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions.

Many thanks. Now, what law was broken? Highlighting the words of a newspaper and unionist is all well and good, but was a law broken? Just to be clear - guidance is not a law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think that really shows what people think of the Sinn Fein shenanigans.

No I think it shows that a handful of posters on here, would rather talk about SF than whats going on with the Govt.

And here I am in a thread, is it me or haev SF vanished.

Looks like they are not going anywhere, Good for you, you can make up more lies and deflect deflect when anyone mentions a party other than SF.

Them getting more votes than FG in the election, really really hurt people in this country and its ****ing great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have never seen a coffin brought to say DeansGrange or Mulhuddart graveyards before going to Glasnevin for cremation.

A fake funeral for political purposes certainly seems to be where we are at now.

When any party turn out for a funeral of a member and give a graveside oration and guard of honour etc...is that a funeral for 'political purposes' too?

We all know it was partly political, many funerals are used this way. The funeral of a broadcaster will eulogise his career and input...is that to be taken as an ad for the broadcaster?
    Jaysus blanch do you have any self awareness at all about the level you are stooping to here?

Well, I never have been to a funeral that went all the way to a gravesite and then travelled back some miles into town towards the Crematorium after all the cameras went away.

• Advertisement

When any party turn out for a funeral of a member and give a graveside oration and guard of honour etc...is that a funeral for 'political purposes' too?

A graveside oration, when the person in question was to be cremated several miles away. It is all a little bit odd and staged tbh. Right out of the Trump playbook.

It was a fake funeral to fill the SF history books of tomorrow to tell us all how Storey was a great man and Republican and a bank robber to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Means nothing. I couldn't tell you were the people were cremated at the ones I was at. It didn't play into the service.

Were you not paying attention during the service? Otherwise I would say that your experience is rare if not unique. Almost as rare as obsequies taking place in a graveyard when the deceased is in fact going to be cremated several miles away.

Many thanks. Now, what law was broken? Highlighting the words of a newspaper and unionist is all well and good, but was a law broken? Just to be clear - guidance is not a law.

Highlighted the words of the Northern Ireland Health Minister. I'm guessing he knows more about it than me. You said SF had nothing to apologies for? I think whether its law or guidance those that set the rules shouldn't be the ones to break them. Makes it harder to preach to others about complying with "guidance" when the rule markers won't even follow them.

Social distancing for first offence is €90. Nothing about funerals. Nothing about only family members and nothing about 30. Looks like there is nothing Sinn Fein can actually apologise for.

They are new powers adopted by Stormont from the emergency covid 19 laws passed in Westminster it seems
    See attached

Highlighted the words of the Northern Ireland Health Minister. I'm guessing he knows more about it than me. You said SF had nothing to apologies for? I think whether its law or guidance those that set the rules shouldn't be the ones to break them. Makes it harder to preach to others about complying with "guidance" when the rule markers won't even follow them.

I never said they have have nothing to apologise for. I said if there is no law broken it is difficult for them to apologise. If its so important, it should be law. If its guidance, then if broken its not serious. If rule makers want it followed, make it law, if not don't call for resignations if not followed.

They are new powers adopted by Stormont from the emergency covid 19 laws passed in Westminster it seems
    See attached

Each area is different. I don't think (subject to anyone showing me otherwise) there was a breach of any law in northern Ireland. If not it makes all discussion on the matter moot.

I never said they have have nothing to apologise for. I said if there is no law broken it is difficult for them to apologise. If its so important, it should be law. If its guidance, then if broken its not serious. If rule makers want it followed, make it law, if not don't call for resignations if not followed.

Nobody ever had to break a law to apologize for something. Not sure where you found a bar to set that high.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-regulations-guidance-family-and-community

Funeral services can be conducted in a place of worship or in a funeral home. The size and circumstances of the venue will determine the maximum number that can attend the service safely whilst observing social distancing of at least two metres, wherever possible.

It is recommended that face coverings are used for indoor services.

Whilst the number of mourners at a funeral service will be determined by the size of the venue following risk assessment, a maximum of only 30 are permitted to gather for the committal at the graveside.

Nobody ever had to break a law to apologize for something. Not sure where you found a bar to set that high.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-regulations-guidance-family-and-community

Funeral services can be conducted in a place of worship or in a funeral home. The size and circumstances of the venue will determine the maximum number that can attend the service safely whilst observing social distancing of at least two metres, wherever possible.

It is recommended that face coverings are used for indoor services.

Whilst the number of mourners at a funeral service will be determined by the size of the venue following risk assessment, a maximum of only 30 are permitted to gather for the committal at the graveside.

If there are being called to resign I would say at least a law, and a serious one at that, would have to be broken. So can you say was there a law broken?

There was no committal at the graveside.

Notwithstanding that there was no committal, is the 30 maximum law or guidance. Is it a family who are in charge and who is to say that the Sinn Fein members weren't part of the 30.

You haven't lived obviously ;)
    You lads are desperate to squeeze anything out of this. Family wanted the funeral they had. That's all you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    A graveside oration, when the person in question was to be cremated several miles away. It is all a little bit odd and staged tbh. Right out of the Trump playbook.

It was a fake funeral to fill the SF history books of tomorrow to tell us all how Storey was a great man and Republican and a bank robber to boot.

Absolutely, it was staged. It was the funeral of a major political figure.

Are we gonna engage in some naivety now?

Fake funeral only applies if there were people there who din't know what was happening.
    The PSNI clearly knew, the priest clearly knew, those who read the arrangements knew, those who watched as family and friends left for the crematorium knew.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement