Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Adam9213 wrote: »
    That's how they usually carried out proxy killings they gave their agents all the information needed and asked them to kill them, that way there's no evidence that the British state commited the killings apart from the word of loyalists which dozens have claimed the killings they committed were on behalf of British intelligence but for whatever reason they refused to kill Haughey.

CAIN have compiled a chronical of State collusion with loyalist paramilitaries (from the Stevens Enquiry).

https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/issues/collusion/chron.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 68,943 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Truthvader wrote: »
    Right so no complaint made then. Don't blame you to be honest but lets stop pretending Gerry Adams and his merry men have gone away

Deflect from the question by creating a lie. You wouldn't believe what I said anyway.

So the big question hangs in the air still - why have these people been allowed to operate with impunity? Why did it take 8 years for Gardai to act in the Quinn affair and why did they only act when a high power within the gardai got involved?

blanch152 wrote: »
    (2) Whatever about locals, Gardai paid their respects from a distance, in Garda stations around the country, as did most of the politicians. We didn't have people travelling from Cork for the Horkan funeral etc.

There might not have been people from Cork, but there was someone from New York. There is a man in a New York PD uniform marching right behind the coffin holding the arm of who I think maybe Colm Horkan's mother.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/murdered-garda-colm-horkan-laid-to-rest-after-funeral-in-native-mayo-39303602.html

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

Right so no complaint made then. Don't blame you to be honest but lets stop pretending Gerry Adams and his merry men have gone away

What do you mean by gone away? If you mean they handed up their weapons and are no longer active as a guerrilla army anymore then yes beyond doubt they have gone away, but if you mean that the people who were in the IRA are no longer trying to further Irish unity politically then no they haven't "gone away"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

jm08 wrote: »
    The letter from the UVF to Haughey is in the State papers. If you bothered to read the link you would know that.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/loyalists-told-charles-haughey-mi5-asked-us-to-execute-you-1.3339804

The Brits told us to kill you, but we were nice enough to say no, so be nice to us.

That is your proof?

• Advertisement

The Brits told us to kill you, but we were nice enough to say no, so be nice to us.

That is your proof?

Do you not believe anything without solid evidence? If they were using loyalist agents as proxies to carry out assassinations how do you expect these things to be "proved"?

Many things like all the high ranking loyalists having been British agents and the countless claims from the highest ranking of loyalists that they committed their murders on behalf of British intelligence along with some of the highest ranking intelligence officers during the troubles having claimed that loyalist paramilitaries were little more than pseudo gangs operating on behalf of British intelligence among many other things doesn't even make you a little bit suspicious?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ok, let's dig into this and assume you're not on a piss take.

Considering there's an outside police force investigation taking place looking specifically at:

I'll drill down into your response.

And the virus will care about that:confused:

The virus must have evolved now to know who is observing the social distancing guidelines, whether or not they're locals or Gardai personell and how far they will be travelling to spread it?

The virus doesn't care if you're wearing white shirts or your birthday suit blanch. Wise up.

The virus can be contacted and spread between hosts anywhere and any place, be it at a "real funeral" or a pretend one. Again wise up.

The virus will multiply and spread itself just as easily in a maximum security state penitentiary full of hardened criminals, as quickly as it would among a care home for retired clowns if people aren't observing social distancing guidelines.

I repeat back to this bit so.

You are complaining because it was a Sinn Fein funeral and that's all blanch, at least have the decency to be honest with yourself, as that's the only person you are fooling. :D

No, you are wrong, there are many reasons to complain about the Storey funeral, not all are related to the virus.

The private militia in white shirts is certainly one (don't give me the usual tripe about scouts, GAA clubs, they all have legitimate uniforms).

There is a difference between a State funeral and an ordinary person's funeral, as anyone who recognises the legitimacy of the State would agree.

There is quite a difference between the dignity being shown by the Orange Order and the unionist community in how they are celebrating the 12th and the fake pageantry of the Storey funeral (and that is really surprising me how well they are behaving).

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0713/1153008-12th-july-marches/

The leadership being shown by Arlene Foster also shows up Sinn Fein in a bad light.

""I know people are frustrated when they saw the scenes in west Belfast Tuesday-week ago and say if that happened there, why can't I do it."

She was referring to the large-scale republican gathering last month for the funeral of IRA veteran Bobby Storey.

Ms Foster said people should not fall below the standard requirement of the community just because others do so."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0712/1152773-twelfth-bonfires-orange-order/

It is interesting that this is still hitting the news. Sinn Fein should have got out early with a real apology, their arrogance on this will continue to cause them problems.

Do you not believe anything without solid evidence? If they were using loyalist agents as proxies to carry out assassinations how do you expect these things to be "proved"?

Many things like all the high ranking loyalists having been British agents and the countless claims from the highest ranking of loyalists that they committed their murders on behalf of British intelligence along with some of the highest ranking intelligence officers during the troubles having claimed that loyalist paramilitaries were little more than pseudo gangs operating on behalf of British intelligence among many other things doesn't even make you a little bit suspicious?

Well, there is more reliable evidence, from the PSNI, that the IRA leadership is still in place and controlling Sinn Fein, and you refuse to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No, you are wrong, there are many reasons to complain about the Storey funeral, not all are related to the virus.

The private militia in white shirts is certainly one (don't give me the usual tripe about scouts, GAA clubs, they all have legitimate uniforms).

There is a difference between a State funeral and an ordinary person's funeral, as anyone who recognises the legitimacy of the State would agree.

There is quite a difference between the dignity being shown by the Orange Order and the unionist community in how they are celebrating the 12th and the fake pageantry of the Storey funeral (and that is really surprising me how well they are behaving).

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0713/1153008-12th-july-marches/

The leadership being shown by Arlene Foster also shows up Sinn Fein in a bad light.

""I know people are frustrated when they saw the scenes in west Belfast Tuesday-week ago and say if that happened there, why can't I do it."

She was referring to the large-scale republican gathering last month for the funeral of IRA veteran Bobby Storey.

Ms Foster said people should not fall below the standard requirement of the community just because others do so."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0712/1152773-twelfth-bonfires-orange-order/

It is interesting that this is still hitting the news. Sinn Fein should have got out early with a real apology, their arrogance on this will continue to cause them problems.

I am not interested in your rabbit holes, there was only one main reason for complaints ref the shinners funeral, that being of ignoring social distancing guidelines, our own politicians were calling for those who attended the funeral to stay away from the Dail for 2 weeks for Christ sake, ignore it if you want.

They soon wound their necks in when it was pointed out about Billy Kelleher, Mariead McGuinness both ignoring the quarantine restrictions both were supposed to observe, and also mourners at Garda Horkans funeral also ignoring social distancing guidelines.

You have not and cannot give me any reasons at all as to why you think the mourners at Garda Horkans funeral ignoring the social distancing guidelines were any different to the mourners at Bobby Storey's funeral.

As such I'll continue to point out that your only problem is your borderline obsessive compulsive disorder with Sinn Fein.

Both were wrong to flout the guidelines.

Well, there is more reliable evidence, from the PSNI, that the IRA leadership is still in place and controlling Sinn Fein, and you refuse to accept that.

Where is your solid evidence?

Even though there is no "proof" in this matter either I don't refuse to accept that it is true that former high ranking members of the IRA are still in SF and former high ranking members have a say in SF politics.

IRA releases a statement saying "The leadership of Oglaigh na hEireann has formally ordered an end to the armed campaign. This will take effect from 4pm [1600 BST] this afternoon [Thursday 28 July 2005]. All IRA units have been ordered to dump arms. All Volunteers have been instructed to assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively peaceful means. Volunteers must not engage in any other activities whatsoever."

They never said they were going to just "go away" only that they would pursue their goals through peaceful means which they have obviously done.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    I am not interested in your rabbit holes, there was only one main reason for complaints ref the shinners funeral, that being of ignoring social distancing guidelines, our own politicians were calling for those who attended the funeral to stay away from the Dail for 2 weeks for Christ sake, ignore it if you want.

They soon wound their necks in when it was pointed out about Billy Kelleher, Mariead McGuinness both ignoring the quarantine restrictions both were supposed to observe, and also mourners at Garda Horkans funeral also ignoring social distancing guidelines.

You would like to think there was only one main reason, but there have been many reasons given across the national media and social media since it happened. I am entitled to my opinion that there were other reasons to be disgusted by the fake funeral, and that there were significant differences between the two.

At the end of the day, because it was all a fake, it was particularly disgusting and the politicising of a funeral by Sinn Fein all the more repugnant.

On Mairead McGuinness, that was a complete lie. She wasn't at the Convention Centre. Amazing that you were taken in by the spin on that one.

https://www.thejournal.ie/billy-kelleher-coronavirus-5142030-Jul2020/

Billy Kelleher apologised as soon as it was raised. Sinn Fein should have learned the lesson from that. Get out ahead of the story and apologise.

This will continue to run and run, especially when the Belfast City Council investigation runs its course. Can see compensation claims ahead.

But that isn't an accurate statement. What was said:

In a 2015 report for the UK government, the PSNI and MI5 concluded IRA members believed the army council “oversees” both the IRA and Sinn Féin with an “overarching strategy”, based on current intelligence, historical materials and analysis. The PSNI has said recently that the assessment remains true. “We judge this strategy has a wholly political focus,” the 2015 report said. IRA members “have been directed to actively support Sinn Féin within the community including activity like electioneering and leafleting”.

https://www.ft.com/content/058e757a-54c3-11ea-90ad-25e377c0ee1f

Would you prefer for them to get back to shooting and bombing rather than electioneering and leafleting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You would like to think there was only one main reason, but there have been many reasons given across the national media and social media since it happened. I am entitled to my opinion that there were other reasons to be disgusted by the fake funeral, and that there were significant differences between the two.

At the end of the day, because it was all a fake, it was particularly disgusting and the politicising of a funeral by Sinn Fein all the more repugnant.

On Mairead McGuinness, that was a complete lie. She wasn't at the Convention Centre. Amazing that you were taken in by the spin on that one.
    I didn't mention the convention center, so I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1279830021742505988?s=19

https://www.thejournal.ie/billy-kelleher-coronavirus-5142030-Jul2020/

Billy Kelleher apologised as soon as it was raised. Sinn Fein should have learned the lesson from that. Get out ahead of the story and apologise.

This will continue to run and run, especially when the Belfast City Council investigation runs its course. Can see compensation claims ahead.

The virus doesn't care for apologies either blanch, and as for the "get ahead of the story" I have a more pertinent cliché for you.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

That is your proof?

How would Charlie be nice to the UVF? Why would they even want him to be? MI5 clearly pissed them off and they probably wanted the evidence of collusion in a safe place.

The dogs in the street knew that the British strategy was to drag the Republic into their dirty war because they were pissed off with the Provos escaping over the border to safety. Thatcher wanted a 15 mile zone on either side of the Border that the UK could enter with reciprocal arrangements if the ROI wanted to enter NI.

That was never going to be allowed by the Irish Government.

jm08 wrote: »
    But that isn't an accurate statement. What was said:

https://www.ft.com/content/058e757a-54c3-11ea-90ad-25e377c0ee1f

Would you prefer for them to get back to shooting and bombing rather than electioneering and leafleting?

I don't know what he's talking about tbh he has such hate for SF he'll believe whatever suits the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

What do you mean by gone away? If you mean they handed up their weapons and are no longer active as a guerrilla army anymore then yes beyond doubt they have gone away, but if you mean that the people who were in the IRA are no longer trying to further Irish unity politically then no they haven't "gone away"

No I mean still operating their little protection rackets and criminal enterprises and local intimidation. Read back a bit. Your pal Francie was trying to sell us all the Mary Lou nonsense about Slab and the boys and telling us all there was no Sinn Fein IRA crime and everything was all normal but he lost the run of himself then and in a different context let it slip that he knew several places involved in the diesel game so I challenged him to report all this crime he knew about. Wisely he decided it might be better to keep the head down and say nothing.

IRA were never more than a self interested criminal gang pursuing power using all this Fenian crap as a cover. They have that now so no need for the United Ireland nonsense now. Gerry happy on his trampoline in one of his houses

Where is this evidence issued by the psni?

No I mean still operating their little protection rackets and criminal enterprises and local intimidation. Read back a bit. Your pal Francie was trying to sell us all the Mary Lou nonsense about Slab and the boys and telling us all there was no Sinn Fein IRA crime and everything was all normal but he lost the run of himself then and in a different context let it slip that he knew several places involved in the diesel game so I challenged him to report all this crime he knew about. Wisely he decided it might be better to keep the head down and say nothing.

IRA were never more than a self interested criminal gang pursuing power using all this Fenian crap as a cover. They have that now so no need for the United Ireland nonsense now. Gerry happy on his trampoline in one of his houses

Your British army counterparts don't seem to agree with you that the IRA were little more than a "self interested criminal gang"

An internal British Army document written by General Sir Michael David Jackson and two other senior officers was released in 2007 under the Freedom of Information Act. It examined the British Army's 37 year of deployment in Northern Ireland, and described the IRA as "a professional, dedicated, highly skilled and resilient force", while loyalist paramilitaries and other republican groups were described as "little more than a collection of gangsters".

Where is this evidence issued by the psni?

Exactly, I'm looking forward to seeing the "hardcore evidence" he keeps talking about anytime anyone else brings something up.

Do you just ignore the posts you have no answer to?

Do you believe that my post about the MRF a top secret British army unit specifically created to fight the IRA consisting of about 40 members that included members of soldiers from special forces like the SAS who were only allowed use IRA and loyalist weapons were coincidentally acting as individuals and not on behalf of the British state?

Not sure how this is answer to or connected anything. Maybe you just got excited.

Anyway you point to a top secret (but not to you at any rate) British Army Unit and then waffle on a bit to ask whether I believe they were acting on behalf of the British State. Well the British Army usually do act on behalf of the British State so not sure what the point is.

• Advertisement

The uvf and uda also operated on behalf of british state,given 85% of their intel come from the uk government sources??

The glennane gang (combined force of security and paramilitary)killed 151 people,150 of which had no connection to republican activity......they statistically likely should have killed more republicans.....

Its almost as if the british wanted to wipe out the nationlist population,in 2 pronged effort,using paramilitarie to kill civilans and sec forces to kill militants

and only people to stand for civilans,was the provos,god bless our patriot dead

It's a lot harder to understand the psychological warfare aspect of the conflict so you wouldn't understand the effect those killings would have but they greatly hurt the IRA more than even killing their members could.

One example is it would be an attempt to draw the IRA away from its war against the state and into a sectarian conflict, if that happened which it did to an extent is it would weaken IRA support greatly making the IRA more vulnerable it would also put pressure on people who supported the IRA in those areas to stop supporting the campaign due to the effect it was having on the ordinary Catholic.

There are so many reasons but that's just a couple of examples.

Also some of the people killed may not have been members but they were probably assisting the IRA in some kind of way which is why they were targeted, also some of them were members of IRA members families which would have been a deterrent to people who wanted to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Very different 12th this year in Norn Iron. I know this is the 13th but as Sunday would be a no no for parades anyway then today should have been when the main 12th celebrations would take place.

Most towns and villages had one or 2 of their local bands parade locally but very low key and most appear to have socially distanced as per the advice and request from the OO and unionist leaders.

On the news one of the OO spokesmen said something along the lines of “for our wee country’s health, we cancelled the twelfth”

He was a poet and he didn’t know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The uvf and uda also operated on behalf of british state,given 85% of their intel come from the uk government sources??

The glennane gang (combined force of security and paramilitary)killed 151 people,150 of which had no connection to republican activity......they statistically likely should have killed more republicans.....

Its almost as if the british wanted to wipe out the nationlist population,in 2 pronged effort,using paramilitarie to kill civilans and sec forces to kill militants

The same provos slaughtered a good few civilians as well, many of them Catholics

Edgware wrote: »
    The same provos slaughtered a good few civilians as well, many of them Catholics

Also held defended communities across the north from being overrun,removed police presence and broke up the intel gathering operartions targeting catholics by the ruc

They done piles wrong,noone disputes this,but only for them,catholics had noone to stand up for em,in face of attacks,intimidation and helped provide safety for many elderly people living in isolated areas,who otherwise would been burnt out/shot

Edgware wrote: »

True, according to CAIN 29% of their victims were civilians.

Also held defended communities across the north from being overrun,removed police presence and broke up the intel gathering operartions targeting catholics by the ruc

They done piles wrong,noone disputes this,but only for them,catholics had noone to stand up for em,in face of attacks,intimidation and helped provide safety for many elderly people living in isolated areas,who otherwise would been burnt out/shot

The battle of St Matthews one of the most popular ones because it was when the PIRA had only started arming up and before there was a guerilla war, it was their first major action.

As the situation worsened, Catholic residents feared that the gathering crowds of loyalists would attempt to invade the Short Strand and burn them from their homes. Local IRA members retrieved weapons from arms dumps. A young resident, Jim Gibney, recalled: "I saw neighbours, people I knew, coming down the street carrying rifles. I was just dumbstruck by this experience. I'd never seen such a thing before".

British soldiers eventually arrived in armoured vehicles and cordoned off the roads around the Short Strand, which denied the IRA "any hope of reinforcement".
    A small group of IRA members and members of the Citizens' Defence Committee took up positions in the church grounds and in adjoining streets. The IRA members were armed with M1 carbines.

This action brought a great deal of support for armed conflict on one hand you had the peaceful SDLP who after the shooting began, Stormont MP Paddy Kennedy went with Short Strand residents to the local RUC base and demanded protection for their homes which never came, and on the other hand you had the IRA who risked their lives some of whom were killed trying to protect the local people, ask the families who were shaking and scared in their homes do they think the IRA men who died were terrorists I doubt they'll say they were.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_St_Matthew's

Oh deary me. The answer to criminal thuggery is not more criminal thuggery. The provos who you laughably describe as patriots soent a deal of their time killing and maiming their own people. Murdering people is not acceptable

timthumbni wrote: »
    Very different 12th this year in Norn Iron. I know this is the 13th but as Sunday would be a no no for parades anyway then today should have been when the main 12th celebrations would take place.

Most towns and villages had one or 2 of their local bands parade locally but very low key and most appear to have socially distanced as per the advice and request from the OO and unionist leaders.

On the news one of the OO spokesmen said something along the lines of “for our wee country’s health, we cancelled the twelfth”

He was a poet and he didn’t know it.

Is there any hope they will grow up?

Actually the British Army wete sent over to protect catholiv areas. Didn't suit Gerry Adams and the lads who had failed to protect anyone so they set about poisoning the effort. Abley assisted by idiots in the Parachute regiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Is there any hope they will grow up?

At least they are acting responsibly for once.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement