Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

How was planting 2 bombs are either end of a town with a delay on one an accident?

I look forward to seeing your answer!!

The PIRA were exploding hundreds of bombs on economic targets every year, in 1972 they exploded 1300 bombs on economic targets almost every single one of these bombings no one was killed from they would phone in a warning that the bomb will explode in 30 minutes enough time to clear the area but not enough time to disarm the bomb.

The RIRA tried to do this and obviously messed up, even a dog in northern Ireland would have nothing but negative effects for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

blanch152 wrote: »
    The British Government didn't back down. Sunningdale allowed for power-sharing, if the parties in Northern Ireland wouldn't power-share, there was nothing the British Government could do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_Constitutional_Convention

"On the face of it, the NICC was a total failure as it did not achieve its aims of agreement between the two sides or of introducing 'rolling devolution' (gradual introduction of devolution as and when the parties involved saw fit to accept it). Nevertheless, coming as it did not long after the Conservative-sponsored Sunningdale Agreement, the NICC indicated that no British government would be prepared to re-introduce majority rule in Northern Ireland."

Peace was getting closer.....the public mood however, was changed by incidents such as Kingsmill.

The SDLP were not bombing anyone. Why did unionists refuse to go into Government with them? Are you trying to insinuate that the SDLP were behind Kingsmills now?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Pretty much this was the reason for the conflict. Without the IRA killing people, we would have had peace a long time ago.

Easy to have a peace process when all.the nationlists killed/driven out....only for ira standing up and defending their communities there would be no nationlists there today

Why were the british throwing fireworks and attacking homes in short strand at the weekend btw,they still wont accept nationlists about??

An incompetent accident? Is that all you can bring yourself to say about Omagh?

The brits drove people deliverately towards that bomb imo....why have they still not released the call giving bomb warning??

jm08 wrote: »
    The SDLP were not bombing anyone. Why did unionists refuse to go into Government with them? Are you trying to insinuate that the SDLP were behind Kingsmills now?

The sdlp.were just as likely to be targets of unionist paramilitaries too.....anyone remember words of the pan-nationlist front pedeled by ian paisley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Adam9213 wrote: »
    Not really as only 29% of IRA victims were civilians and that figure also includes informers, politicians etc.

You seem to ignore logic in all your posts and just throw out idiotic insults, also the IRA in the 80s and 90s apparently had to abort 80% of their operations because of the risk to civilians.

The subtext of course being that it is OK to murder informers or politicians. Any wonder Francie wont go near the Guards

And to be clear the murder of British Soldiers is equally murder in my view.

• Advertisement

And what of likes of seamus mcillwee....arrested on active service with the ira,interrogated and executed on side of the road??

Had to Google that. I assume you are referring to "Seamus McElwaine".Maybe get O'Broin to check the spelling in future.

What I discovered is that McElwaine murdered 10 people in his miserable useless life before being caught preparing a bomb to murder more (I assume this is the craven reference to "active service") He was wounded, questioned and murdered by the SAS. Yep a war crime no doubt- though hard to feel much sympathy. The soldiers should have been prosecuted. Not really the same as murdering kids out buying mothers day cards is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SF did try to engage the so called middle classes.

They saw through it though, OK, we will pay for everything along with the baggage and the cost to many. But you go ahead and choose high calibre candidates. LOL.

Sorry now.

And before anyone gets the chance, FF not a week in office were up to their old tricks again. Quelle Surprise. But they don't represent me either. They are hankering after a tent in Galway and always will, read into that what you like.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Had to Google that. I assume you are referring to "Seamus McElwaine".Maybe get O'Broin to check the spelling in future.

What I discovered is that McElwaine murdered 10 people in his miserable useless life before being caught preparing a bomb to murder more (I assume this is the craven reference to "active service") He was wounded, questioned and murdered by the SAS. Yep a war crime no doubt- though hard to feel much sympathy. The soldiers should have been prosecuted. Not really the same as murdering kids out buying mothers day cards is it?

In January 1993 an inquest jury returned a verdict that McElwaine had been unlawfully killed. The jury ruled the soldiers had opened fire without giving him a chance to surrender, and that he was shot dead five minutes after being wounded. The Director of Public Prosecutions requested a full report on the inquest from the RUC, but no one has been prosecuted for McElwaine's death.

He was serving 30 years for the killing of two British Security people when he escaped, not 10 as you are trying to claim here. It seems you think the British Army / SAS can be judge, jury and executioner.

Murder is murder imo,but its clear your willing to turn blind eye and downplay some cases??

And what about soldiers raping ira members,who have been arrested??
    Eamonn collins,who also went onto be killed,being among most well known.......how is this keeping the peace?

Its clear you need a lot more help from OBroin and the intellectuals if you managed to extract the message that I am willing to turn a blind eye to anything. Unaware of the Collins rape claim. Have his book here but dont recall that. Anyway rapists should be prosecuted. Pity we cant ask Eamonn for details but he was murdered by Uncle Gerry and the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,947 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

People deciding to kill each other

Well QED.

Simplify when you are caught out for an answer

None of us with Irish ancestry are above what happened in the north.
    Nobody anywhere in fact, is above it, when pushed or ignored or threatened enough.

Another fact of history the high moral grounders ignore

• Advertisement

The subtext of course being that it is OK to murder informers or politicians. Any wonder Francie wont go near the Guards

And to be clear the murder of British Soldiers is equally murder in my view.

Like other posters caught out and no longer able to bull**** their way out of the cul de sacs they end up in, you have now constructed a lie about me and will continue to use it.

You lie Truth, think hard about the honesty of your position here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

This guy would be your sort of hero Truthy
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Jackson
    Blueshirts probably have their own little memorial for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Well QED.

Nobody anywhere in fact, is above it, when pushed or ignored or threatened enough.

Not everyone behaved like an animal in the north.

The SDLP and UUP were by and large decent political parties, not tied to death squads.

Everyone has a choice, and some of us remember.

Apologizing and distancing yourself from sin doesn't absolve you of its guilt, but it would be a start, a start which honestly I have not really begun to witness from a certain nationalist party that straddles the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The SDLP and UUP were by and large decent political parties, not tied to death squads.

Apologizing and distancing yourself from sin doesn't absolve you of its guilt, but it would be a start, a start which honestly I have not really begun to witness from a certain nationalist party that straddles the border.

UUP were no better than the DUP, bit more educated, put on accent but a dirty bigot at the end of the day

Totally disagree on the UUP front, the representitives of the sectarian and bigoted state the British tried to shore up.

If you read the timeline or lived through it you will see that being decent wasn't going to change anything, in fact it brought worse to the doors of Nationalists and Catholics.
    The SDLP were too ready to acquiesce and settle for less, and did and paid the price for being a part of the problem.

This is fascinating stuff. I clearly said McElwains killers should have been prosecuted but the Sinn Fein / IRA cheerleaders can't contain their rage. Wonder why. Almost a mental health issue at this point.

Well QED.

Poor poor Francie so morally disorientated he views not murdering as high moral ground. Its not Francie it is sea level basic humanity for anyone not spiritually infected

jm08 wrote: »
    He was serving 30 years for the killing of two British Security people when he escaped, not 10 as you are trying to claim here. It seems you think the British Army / SAS can be judge, jury and executioner.

Never heard of him before. The Sinn Fein IRA fanboys brought him up. Googled him. Murdered two unarmed named men and suspected to be involved in "at least 10 other killings" That makes 12. Google him yourself and make up your own mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

FFG government in crisis mode so the fanboys pile in to bump this thread to speak of old wives tails. Don't feed the trolls lads!

Poor poor Francie so morally disorientated he views not murdering as high moral ground. Its not Francie it is sea level basic humanity for anyone not spiritually infected

You were asked a question about the origins of the conflict/war and what led people to do what I will call yet again, the wrong thing and instead of answering you climbed up on to the lecturing higher moral ground again to try and demean people. How typical of the lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Oh....your one of those,who upon cant debate,dismisses anyone,who dare hold different view as mentally ill

Par the course for ffg arrogance really :rolleyes:

i think its the old schoolyard bully routine - the 'if you disagree with me you are stupid' idea you see posters trying, and those who hate the shinners have the 'SF voters are poor and stupid' attitude. never works - it just highlights the lack a point.

Didnt david trimble also go on a victory orange parade after they burning to death of catholic schoolkids in 1998.....quality middle of the road people alright

him and ian also had a little jig at garvahey road. Always amases me that even though it humes and adams who took the peace process to a stage where it was taken seriously, trimble for some reason gets a noble peace prize along with john hume. pure optics.

At the time of the Northern Bank Robbery, Trimble was under pressure (as far as i can remember anyway) to shake hands with adams, or in some way start to talk to SF about something. Im going by memory so there was some reason why he wouldnt talk to someone somewhere on the republican side.

Then the biggest bank robbery of the century takes places, the IRA are apparently the culprits - even though (what I suspect was a pay off of) 50 grand was found in a well protected, camera strewn RUC leisure centre. Whereas - coming on 2 decades later there's no proof of direct involvement with the IRA (bar a fella who had been a SF councillor in the past with a boxful of money, which Im pretty sure has never proven to be from the robbery).

Trimble though, didnt need to have to talk to SF now. Wasnt that lucky for him!
    Plus the RUC - who were whinging about losing danger money since there was peace - now had a nice retirement fund.

Throw in a gullible public and you have a genius solution to multiple complex issues. They were good at that - the unionists, british and loyalists. brilliant at deflecting the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Adam9213 wrote: »
    The PIRA were exploding hundreds of bombs on economic targets every year, in 1972 they exploded 1300 bombs on economic targets almost every single one of these bombings no one was killed from they would phone in a warning that the bomb will explode in 30 minutes enough time to clear the area but not enough time to disarm the bomb.

The RIRA tried to do this and obviously messed up, even a dog in northern Ireland would have nothing but negative effects for them.
    The planted the second bomb in the path of those escaping the first. Nothing accidental about that

The planted the second bomb in the path of those escaping the first. Nothing accidental about that

not civilians, but soldiers or security forces I'd assume they'd be trying to kill.

when people try to kill each other, they usually try to kill each other. thats the point of people fighting, ultimately. There was a shoot to kill policy on the British side - which the other side pretty well expected. It just would have been nicer if the british would admit that policy to the general public.

even today there's people who don't believe a government would recklessly target a section of the population they're meant to serve, because of their religion. when it comes to targeting IRA people, thats what they were. very, very reckless and more likely or not had a loyalist gang doing the dirty work. lots of innocent people then were targeted and killed.

No side hadn't caused harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This isn't rocket science really Mark.
    The goal was to force a British withdrawal because the British protection of the sectarian state was what was causing the problems for nationalists. A terror campaign in England was seen as the way to do that. Defence turned into attack...it isn't exactly unique in that regard.

So in essence, the Warrington bombing along with most of the Provo campaign had nothing to do with defending Nationalists. It was a terrorist campaign based on the whims of a minority based on trying to force a military and politician withdrawal from the North, something the Provos had no mandate for at all?

In your world, killing a 3-year-old toddler was justified, and then you give out to others who call the Provos sociopaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

maccored wrote: »
    how would you know if they did or not markodaly?

How do we know the New IRA don't have huge support among Nationalists in the North?
    How do we know the Omagh bombing had huge support among Nationalists in the North?

markodaly wrote: »
    So in essence, the Warrington bombing along with most of the Provo campaign had nothing to do with defending Nationalists. It was a terrorist campaign based on the whims of a minority based on trying to force a military and politician withdrawal from the North, something the Provos had no mandate for at all?

In your world, killing a 3-year-old toddler was justified, and then you give out to others who call the Provos sociopaths?

Where have I said any of it was 'justified ark.

And seriously...a person who professes to be knoledgeable of history has never heard of the concept of 'defence turning into attack' - 'attack is the best form of defence'...really Mark?

Getting the British to relinquish their occupation of a part of this island was the only way people could see to defend themselves...not a hard concept to grasp.

Are Ameican and British troops 'sociopaths' when they kill children? The British killed 18 of them here in the early days of the conflict/war...that's 18 children Mark.

Why wouldn't you select them when you want to emote...are Catholic/Nationalist children ever going to get a turn being the selective victim du jour?

How do we know the New IRA don't have huge support among Nationalists in the North?
    How do we know the Omagh bombing had huge support among Nationalists in the North?

why are you asking me questions?

It didnt. Im from Omagh and have family who were witnesses on the day. i know it didnt have widescale support at all. Personally I think the RUC have a few questions to answer too. someone with power didnt like the peace process I think as that bomb shouldnt have reached omagh, considering they knew it was on the way. nevermind why people were herded to the bottom of market street rather than the bus debot - which was the place you'd always be directed to during a bombscare in the town..

• Advertisement

Process of elimination. Sinn Fein (who are hated by dissident republicans) are getting a large share of the nationalist vote.

I think pretty much everyone condemned that bombing. Bear in mind that more catholics (18) were killed in that bombing than protestants (11).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement