Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

For the record I'm the same, anyone who's seen my posting history on Boards or interacted with me over the years knows that I always ruled out voting SF on the basis of the party whip and the fact that their record in Northern Ireland didn't gel with the manifestoes they were pushing here. I voted for them #2 in this election after PBP for the simple reason that in the four years since the previous election, many, many of my friends have seen their lives travelling backwards as hyperinflation of rents forced people to forgo the independence they'd attained in their twenties and move back with their parents as their thirties approached. SF are the only large party which claims to want to fix this, ergo most people my age - regardless of socioeconomic background - voted for them.

This really seems to infuriate many people here, the issue of the first-time SF voter who voted based on political ideology and not the issue of a United Ireland. In fact, as I've said before, the very concept of voting based on ideology seems to alarm many posters here, which I find bizarre. I guarantee you that these newfound SF voters would desert the party in as quick a heartbeat as they joined if SF suddenly dropped rent control and massive social housing investment as policy planks.

There is absolutely no party loyalty or interest in party history among most newfound SF voters, there is a genuine anger at an establishment whose answer to a housing crisis which is destroying peoples' lives was to force councils to sell public land to private developers, and allow those developers to waste that land building glorified hostels instead of proper apartment blocks.

The idea of the first time SF voter who previously opposed the party is really touching a raw nerve among some around here. Perhaps those who support neoliberal economic policies are finally realising that when you f*ck an entire generation over in order to benefit those higher up the generational ladder, that generation will turn around and tell you to f*ck yourselves instead?

So you're a Labour voter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So you're a Labour voter?

How did you get that from my post? I gave Labour a high preference in 2011 but I'll never make that mistake again. The amount of bullsh!t they tolerated without putting their foot down between 2011 and 2016 was incredible - and I'm not talking about political policy but political behaviour. For example, I will never respect a party who was the junior coalition partner during Alan Shatter's disastrous handling of a bajillion different Garda scandals between 2013 and 2014 without demanding his resignation. Where a junior partner is supposed to be a check and balance against the senior partner's worst impulses, Labour literally sat down and allowed FG to run absolute roughshod over their promise of an end to unaccountability, corruption and wrongdoing in policy. Everything from Noonan and Kenny breaking their own salary cap rules for their advisors to James Reilly's shenanigans as Health Minister should have been incidents which were quickly put a stop to by Labour, yet they stood over all of this and more, allowing FG to get away with it time and time again.

So on that basis, no. I won't be voting Labour again unless they demonstrate a commitment to standing up for what they believe in even if it means not remaining in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Violet-Ann Wynnes social media misadventures continued this week with a spot of plagiarism

Violet Annes Twitter bio is funny:
    Not the typical politician, I have been there and I want to make sure other's don't have to go through it!!

Definitely not the typical politician when it comes to charity funded housing.
    But Violet, I'd like to know where you have been "there"? I presume it's Clare and we should all avoid it now you're their TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This really seems to infuriate many people here, the issue of the first-time SF voter who voted based on political ideology and not the issue of a United Ireland. In fact, as I've said before, the very concept of voting based on ideology seems to alarm many posters here, which I find bizarre. I guarantee you that these newfound SF voters would desert the party in as quick a heartbeat as they joined if SF suddenly dropped rent control and massive social housing investment as policy planks.

There is absolutely no party loyalty or interest in party history among most newfound SF voters, there is a genuine anger at an establishment whose answer to a housing crisis which is destroying peoples' lives was to force councils to sell public land to private developers, and allow those developers to waste that land building glorified hostels instead of proper apartment blocks.

You're right about their newfound fleeting voter base voting for protest.
    However, were a GE to be called these days, it would be jobs and the economy that those voters will be primarily concerned about. No use complaining about a housing shortage if you have no job to pay for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

“Sinn Féin at both local and national level is actively opposed to cyber bullying or any form of discriminatory behaviour. As you may be aware the individual in question has now offered their resignation to the party which I can confirm has been unanimously accepted by our elected county board.”

Yet, we see it online all the time, the keyboard warriors on social media acting disgracefully.
    They are only sorry when they are caught it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    Yet, we see it online all the time, the keyboard warriors on social media acting disgracefully.
    They are only sorry when they are caught it seems.

Online all the time? You're up posting at 4 am lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You're late to the party with that one Maria!

Its not the one I was trying to put up, can't seem to link the one I want

SF does seem to be trying to put a bit of a stop to the social media behavior of some of their supporters, but then again why do they attract supporters like that in the first place its dose not see to be as much as an issue for other political parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Personally I didn't vote Sinn Fein last time. Was maybe considering swapping to next time but the carry on since the election makes me question the whole party. If we have to listen to another "speech" from someone in Sinn Fein about "change" I think they should get an automatic 100 euro fine.

Violet Anne and another few seem to be missing a few brain cells. Maybe they lost them in meetings listening to Mary Lou talking about "change".

So far I have yet to see anything from Sinn Fein to assist with the current Covid crisis. Not a whisper, but I hear lots about "change". Can't change much when the country is on its knee's.

FF/FG don't seem to be massively better but if all Sinn Fein can do is tweet about someone buying a pair of shoes then it does mean they are not fit for government.

Maybe I am incorrect on all of the above? open to examples but that's my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

mariaalice wrote: »
    SF does seem to be trying to put a bit of a stop to the social media behavior of some of their supporters, but then again why do they attract supporters like that in the first place its dose not see to be as much as an issue for other political parties.

Wasn't the leader of Young Fine Gael caught out abusing women online on Twitter across the political spectrum? Called Roisin Shortall 'a stupid b*tch' if I recall correctly. A 'bright young thing' being groomed for big things with the clever boy party.

Superfoods wrote: »
    Personally I didn't vote Sinn Fein last time. Was maybe considering swapping to next time but the carry on since the election makes me question the whole party. If we have to listen to another "speech" from someone in Sinn Fein about "change" I think they should get an automatic 100 euro fine.

Violet Anne and another few seem to be missing a few brain cells. Maybe they lost them in meetings listening to Mary Lou talking about "change".

So far I have yet to see anything from Sinn Fein to assist with the current Covid crisis. Not a whisper, but I hear lots about "change". Can't change much when the country is on its knee's.

FF/FG don't seem to be massively better but if all Sinn Fein can do is tweet about someone buying a pair of shoes then it does mean they are not fit for government.

Maybe I am incorrect on all of the above? open to examples but that's my view.

The tweets and post about Leo buying shoes really are a nadir for SF in the social media field.

Its at attempt to appeal ot their base.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Wasn't the leader of Young Fine Gael caught out abusing women online on Twitter across the political spectrum? Called Roisin Shortall 'a stupid b*tch' if I recall correctly. A 'bright young thing' being groomed for big things with the clever boy party.

I never said the other parties have none, however, SF seems to have a large number of followers of the type.

Very importationlay it puts a lof of the electorate off from voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Yurt! wrote: »

He should probably resign from FG, so SF can snap him up and have him stand as a GE candidate.
    Himself and Chris would get along great together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

blackwhite wrote: »
    He couldn’t even be bothered defending the stupidity of it himself - and yet here you are still toiling away :pac:

It’s like a parody at this stage. Tell us again how you never voted SF before 2020 ������

ha yeah its hilarious. Embarrassing really. For somebody who claims not to be associated with SF and a first time voter, its clearly obvious as a longtime lurker that he is. David clearly knew he was being a populist bellend and decided to delete the tweet. Yet we have people here who doth protest too much. anyway i hope they keep at it as anybody with a brain can see what they are at and this will drive the moderate first time SF voters back to at least Labour or a sd party. i know a few who regret their decision and personally i think they are idiots for not thinking critically about the whole situation. The "I'm not really a hardcore32 county Republican, im not wanting a united Ireland, i just want housing sorted" yet vote for a party who would sell their granny for a 32 county Republic. There's no logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

What does anyone expect from Sinn Fein? The thug element think like thugs and the moron element are incapable of thought

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Breaking the Free State one (deleted) tweet at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The tweets and post about Leo buying shoes really are a nadir for SF in the social media field.

Its at attempt to appeal ot their base.

Not just any old shoes though

Not just any old shoes though

True, but what really seemed to be bothering SF or more correctly whoever dose their social media and publicity, was the publicity that Leo was getting which is a reflection of his popularity as a media celeb.

They saw an opportunity to appeal to their base i.e look at this FG fat cat buying fancy expensive shoes trying to frame Leo and by extension FG as wealthy and out of touch with the ordinary working woman or man.

What is depressing is that sort of nonsense works?

True, but what really seemed to be bothering SF or more correctly whoever dose their social media and publicity, was the publicity that Leo was getting which is a reflection of his popularity as a media celeb.

They saw an opportunity to appeal to their base i.e look at this FG fat cat buying fancy expensive shoes trying to frame Leo and by extension FG as wealthy and out of touch with the ordinary working woman or man.

What is depressing is that sort of nonsense works?

I was being sarcastic.
    I do agree with you that about 80% of their approach to politics is just to whip up vitriol in the populace.

The fact that the wealthiest party in the state are attacking FG over $$ is an irony that shouldn’t be lost on anyone- and yes the dollar signs are intentional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I was being sarcastic.
    I do agree with you that about 80% of their approach to politics is just to whip up vitriol in the populace.

The fact that the wealthiest party in the state are attacking FG over $$ is an irony that shouldn’t be lost on anyone- and yes the dollar signs are intentional

I don't think the tweet was about money, it was about Leo's coldness, lack of empathy and insensitivity, on the morning 3 counties were beginning a renewed lockdown. It's not the first time he has been called out for this you will all agree.

And I think a few posters need to research how many parties have had to deal with members who have misbehaved on twitter and while doing that research how many people have deleted tweets on 'further reflection' or because of the huffy palaver they cause.

I don't think the tweet was about money, it was about Leo's coldness, lack of empathy and insensitivity, on the morning 3 counties were beginning a renewed lockdown. It's not the first time he has been called out for this you will all agree.

And I think a few posters need to research how many parties have had to deal with members who have misbehaved on twitter and while doing that research how many people have deleted tweets on 'further reflection' or because of the huffy palaver they cause.

I love how you guys try to constantly push the ‘lack of empathy’ line- it’s so coordinated you’d almost think it was a party policy.

The policies of the SF party should be all that matters nothing else, not tribalism, not publicity, not social media, not twitter, not gesture politics.

Saying all political parties do it is whataboutery.

I love how you guys try to constantly push the ‘lack of empathy’ line- it’s so coordinated you’d almost think it was a party policy.

One could say the same thing of some of the lines pushed by the FG and FFers here too.

What's unusual about a number of people calling out something that stands out a mile again and again.

And if you wish I can link to people who are certainly not SF 'guys' saying it too.

The policies of the SF party should be all that matters nothing else, not tribalism, not publicity, not social media, not twitter, not gesture politics.

The tweet smelled very similar to Homer Simpson’s “he’s wearing that hat like an idiot” line about Flanders.

Needed to get an insult out there but didn’t have the material nor the intellect to come up with anything

One could say the same thing of some of the lines pushed by the FG and FFers here too.

What's unusual about a number of people calling out something that stands out a mile again and again.

And if you wish I can link to people who are certainly not SF 'guys' saying it too.

Ah yes- what about...etc.

I hear you- playbook gettin a good run out this morning

Sure can't be relying on their policies when they have a different set for NI. It's not fair (or it's Westminster's fault etc) to compare the two outlooks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Truthvader wrote: »
    What does anyone expect from Sinn Fein? The thug element think like thugs and the moron element are incapable of thought

People droning on about SF online supporter yet dehumanising language like this gets totally ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thing is Francie, Cullinane's tweet wasn't some outburst of rage, a badly-formed thought or an old opinion. Twitter has the propensity to rile some people up, and they end up saying things that they shouldn't. Or to act as an outlet for someone who is raging.

But this is not why Cullinane tweeted. What he tweeted was tranparently a desperate attempt to attack Varadkar for *anything*. And he was so desperate that he came up with this nonsensical ramble about buying shoes.

Once again, Cullinane has shown that he is a clueless amateur in this game. He got elected on a fluke and now acts like he's a well-crafted stateman. He's an embarassment for Sinn Féin, and exactly the kind of legacy member they need to shed.

• Advertisement

No it isn't...it happens in all parties. Google it, you will find plenty of examples.

I accept that all parties have issues with certain things from time to time. FG have had them as have FF, the Greens have had very recent issues with members saying the wrong thing.
    Nothing new...you are having a day in the sun because a Shinner is now the focus...gives you a chance to spout the mantra...'they is all like that' etc etc.

But you never hear that mantra when other party's transgress social media etiquette or normal behaviour. Every loon and loudmouth on Twitter is a shinner...we get it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement