Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ah yes- what about...etc.

I hear you- playbook gettin a good run out this morning

It's a 'playbook' when it's perceived to be a shinner, it's original thought when said by anybody else.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Is there really nothing better to discuss than a tweet about a pair of 'fashion shoes'. He tweeted it, regretted it and deleted it. Same as members of all parties have done. Anything I have missed?

seamus wrote: »
    Thing is Francie, Cullinane's tweet wasn't some outburst of rage, a badly-formed thought or an old opinion. Twitter has the propensity to rile some people up, and they end up saying things that they shouldn't. Or to act as an outlet for someone who is raging.

But this is not why Cullinane tweeted. What he tweeted was tranparently a desperate attempt to attack Varadkar for *anything*. And he was so desperate that he came up with this nonsensical ramble about buying shoes.

Once again, Cullinane has shown that he is a clueless amateur in this game. He got elected on a fluke and now acts like he's a well-crafted stateman. He's an embarassment for Sinn Féin, and exactly the kind of legacy member they need to shed.

I didn't recognise any rage in the tweet Seamus. It was a pointed comment at the inappropriateness, lack of empathy of the Tanaiste. Something he has been accused of so many times now I have lost count.

Of course that is trenchantly denied by his fans. Lots of them getting upset yesterday on that tweet and of course they were all responding politely in a non abusing way. :):)

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is there really nothing better to discuss than a tweet about a pair of 'fashion shoes'. He tweeted it, regretted it and deleted it. Same as members of all parties have done. Anything I have missed?

Nothing much Joe...nothing much...usual crew, high moral grounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I didn't recognise any rage in the tweet Seamus.
    That's exactly my point. Cullinane can't claim that it was made in error, or in the heat of the moment. Which is usually where these issues arise; as you point out, it has happened to many people across all parties.

This was a deliberate attempt at an attack for the sake of it and it was incredibly pathetic and transparent. There was no point or substance to it. It undermines SF's narrative about being a defender of the small guy, champion of the people, and supports the argument that SF are nothing more than hurlers from the ditch who only know how to crticise, not to lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Thing is Francie, Cullinane's tweet wasn't some outburst of rage, a badly-formed thought or an old opinion. Twitter has the propensity to rile some people up, and they end up saying things that they shouldn't. Or to act as an outlet for someone who is raging.

But this is not why Cullinane tweeted. What he tweeted was tranparently a desperate attempt to attack Varadkar for *anything*. And he was so desperate that he came up with this nonsensical ramble about buying shoes.

Once again, Cullinane has shown that he is a clueless amateur in this game. He got elected on a fluke and now acts like he's a well-crafted stateman. He's an embarassment for Sinn Féin, and exactly the kind of legacy member they need to shed.

He’s now the main opposition spokesperson for health as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Jesus, is this what we can expect from ‘the best opposition in the history of the state’ for the next 5 years?

That's exactly my point. Cullinane can't claim that it was made in error, or in the heat of the moment. Which is usually where these issues arise; as you point out, it has happened to many people across all parties.

This was a deliberate attempt at an attack for the sake of it and it was incredibly pathetic and transparent. There was no point or substance to it. It undermines SF's narrative about being a defender of the small guy, champion of the people, and supports the argument that SF are nothing more than hurlers from the ditch who only know how to crticise, not to lead.

No substance?

I think Leo is one of coldest politicians I have ever seen in the Dáil. His serial lack of empathy and judgement is a long standing thing. Deciding to have a photo op in one of the most expensive shops on Grafton Street? Might not be the worst thing ever but it is CERTAINLY more grist to the mill that he doen'st really care about the image he has. He repeatedly says and does the wrong thing. I can provide links to back that up, but I think everyone knows what I am referencing.

Far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong...Cullinane deleted the tweet without saying why.

No substance?

I think Leo is one of coldest politicians I have ever seen in the Dáil. His serial lack of empathy and judgement is a long standing thing. Deciding to have a photo op in one of the most expensive shops on Grafton Street? Might not be the worst thing ever but it is CERTAINLY more grist to the mill that he doen'st really care about the image he has. He repeatedly says and does the wrong thing. I can provide links to back that up, but I think everyone knows what I am referencing.

Far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong...Cullinane deleted the tweet without saying why.

Wasn’t aware there was an SF boycott on that shop.

Is nobody allowed shop there? Or is it just Leo?

I saw a young Pearse buying jeans on the telly. Is that allowed?

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/08/06/how-do-you-say-jeans-in-irish/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No substance?

I think Leo is one of coldest politicians I have ever seen in the Dáil. His serial lack of empathy and judgement is a long standing thing. Deciding to have a photo op in one of the most expensive shops on Grafton Street?
    Yeah, buying shoes...what a cold, unfeeling psychopath.

Once again Francie you're on here defending SF when even they've abandoned whatever point it was that they were trying to make.

The Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment went to buy shoes from an Irish family business in an Irish shop on his way to announce a restart grant scheme for Irish businesses.

It's not exactly worthy of a journalism award, but it doesn't take a genius to understand the purpose of it as a photo op.

But yeah, clearly he should have gone into Tesco and bought a pair of runners to appear more "empathic" with the man on the street.

Better warn Stephen Donnelly to stay out of Louis Copelands. Buy your suits off-the-rack from M&S instead, apparently that's how you're sensitive to Irish voters...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

It's a 'playbook' when it's perceived to be a shinner, it's original thought when said by anybody else.

Yawn.

When it’s the same rhetoric played out across several mediums by a number of aliases then yes, it is a playbook

joeguevara wrote: »
    I saw a young Pearse buying jeans on the telly. Is that allowed?

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/08/06/how-do-you-say-jeans-in-irish/

Were they fashion jeans?

Once again Francie you're on here defending SF when even they've abandoned whatever point it was that they were trying to make.

The Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment went to buy shoes from an Irish family business in an Irish shop on his way to announce a restart grant scheme for Irish businesses.

It's not exactly worthy of a journalism award, but it doesn't take a genius to understand the purpose of it as a photo op.

But yeah, clearly he should have gone into Tesco and bought a pair of runners to appear more "empathic" with the man on the street.

Better warn Stephen Donnelly to stay out of Louis Copelands. Buy your suits off-the-rack from M&S instead, apparently that's how you're sensitive to Irish voters...

From M&S? A shop of British origin? Are you f*ckin mad?

The shinners would have a field day

The most expensive shop on the street.

Not crime of the century...just more grist to the mill that this man doesn't think through what he is doing and that his personal image is more important.

Again...everyone knows that there is more than enough evidence to make a case/comment about this.

We had the same defenders on here, saying the same things when he was called out before. Nothing changes there.

Were they fashion jeans?

Have to be Wrangler, with a check shirt. Boot cut obviously.

The most expensive shop on the street.

I think the owners of Brown Thomas would disagree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

jm08 wrote: »
    It would have been a better look if he didn't use one of the most expensive shoe shops on Grafton Street.

Why? If he can afford a good pair of shoes from an expensive shop, why shouldn't he buy them? Should people only support shops that sell cheap stuff like Pennys?

He’s now the main opposition spokesperson for health as well.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Why? If he can afford a good pair of shoes from an expensive shop, why shouldn't he buy them? Should people only support shops that sell cheap stuff like Pennys?

Penney’s is British owned, so that would also be verboten.

• Advertisement

It’d be akin to championing the famine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/08/11/news/arlene-foster-and-michelle-o-neill-respect-hong-kong-national-security-laws-2031376/?param=ds441rif44T

I wonder what the aul shinner playbook will say about this.... Although not surprising as they sided with the Chinese on saying the election in Venezuela was free and fair.....

For the record I'm the same, anyone who's seen my posting history on Boards or interacted with me over the years knows that I always ruled out voting SF on the basis of the party whip and the fact that their record in Northern Ireland didn't gel with the manifestoes they were pushing here. I voted for them #2 in this election after PBP .....

At that point you lost me and I stopped reading.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Its owned by the Canadian Weston family. Mrs Weston is Irish and they are Ireland's richest family (they own BTs as well).

Good point. Is there an Irish owned store that sells cheap (crappy) clothing and shoes where Leo could shop? You know, to show he is in touch with the "man in the street".

Edit: Just saw jm08's post. So if Leo had bought the shoes at BT he would have been ok?

Good point. Is there an Irish owned store that sells cheap (crappy) clothing and shoes where Leo could shop? You know, to show he is in touch with the "man in the street".

Edit: Just saw jm08's post. So if Leo had bought the shoes at BT he would have been ok?

Shaws.

piplip87 wrote: »
    http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/08/11/news/arlene-foster-and-michelle-o-neill-respect-hong-kong-national-security-laws-2031376/?param=ds441rif44T

I wonder what the aul shinner playbook will say about this.... Although not surprising as they sided with the Chinese on saying the election in Venezuela was free and fair.....

Well, wouldn't the first thing anyone with an investigative, curious mind be to ask oneself if they would trust a report on a Chinese government website...might the Chinese diplomat be 'gilding the lily' a bit? Was there a bit of spin going on?

Is it the first time the Chinese misreported or took liberties with what actually happened for propaganda purposes?

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Thomas Patrick is an Irish owned family business and in fairness to Leo, he was making an attempt to publicise the grants to help small businesses reopen.

While saying that, shopping on Grafton Street doesn't do much for his image as being in touch with the ''man in the street.'' He would have been much better off going to a shop like Cripps in Terenure (also family owned) or a shop anywhere except on one of the most expensive streets in Ireland.

Thomas Patrick is an Irish owned family business and in fairness to Leo, he was making an attempt to publicise the grants to help small businesses reopen.

While saying that, shopping on Grafton Street doesn't do much for his image as being in touch with the ''man in the street.'' He would have been much better off going to a shop like Cripps in Terenure (also family owned) or a shop anywhere except on one of the most expensive streets in Ireland.

After all, 'We are all in this together loike'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Went on the website was expecting Prada or something. Not much more expensive than Adidas or Air Max. No wonder he deleted the tweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement