Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

jh79 wrote: »
    Went on the website was expecting Prada or something. Not much more expensive than Adidas or Air Max. No wonder he deleted the tweet.

Most shoes in there are 150 quid. Loads of the people who tweet that he has lost touch with the common man are wearing 900 euro canada goose jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jm08 wrote: »
    He would have been much better off going to a shop like Cripps in Terenure (also family owned) or a shop anywhere except on one of the most expensive streets in Ireland.
    The mistake you're making is thinking that this has anything to do with what he was buying or where he was buying it. It was a pathetic attempt at a potshot.

If he went to Cripp's he'd be accused of pandering to Leafy South Dublin FG voters.

If he went out to a shop in Blanchardstown village he'd be accused of playing local politics.

There was no substance to this tweet. It was bitching for the sake of bitching. SF special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

joeguevara wrote: »
    Most shoes in there are 150 quid. Loads of the people who tweet that he has lost touch with the common man are wearing 900 euro canada goose jackets.

SF store has an 80 euro silver easter lily and an awful print of some Lynch fella for 115 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I didn't recognise any rage in the tweet Seamus. It was a pointed comment at the inappropriateness, lack of empathy of the Tanaiste. Something he has been accused of so many times now I have lost count.

Of course that is trenchantly denied by his fans. Lots of them getting upset yesterday on that tweet and of course they were all responding politely in a non abusing way. :):)

Much like SFs funeral for Storey.
    What sort of empathy for others with bereaved having to not allow, even all family members attend funerals for loved ones.
    Empathy isn't exactly high on their list at all given their history and some of the stuff they defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

seamus wrote: »
    The mistake you're making is thinking that this has anything to do with what he was buying or where he was buying it. It was a pathetic attempt at a potshot.

If he went to Cripp's he'd be accused of pandering to Leafy South Dublin FG voters.

If he went out to a shop in Blanchardstown village he'd be accused of playing local politics.

And you will defend him in this way, no matter what.

This, in the opinion of some, was further evidence of his coldness and lack of empathy...at it's most serious when he huffily challenges a widower on the day of his wife's death to this kind of trite image consciousness..

• Advertisement

Much like SFs funeral for Storey.
    What sort of empathy for others with bereaved having to not allow, even all family members attend funerals for loved ones.
    Empathy isn't exactly high on their list at all given their history and some of the stuff they defend.

Absolutely...which is why I criticised SF for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Absolutely...which is why I criticised SF for it.

Have you got your new uniform yet for going back to school? 6th class will be so exciting

Edgware wrote: »
    Have you got your new uniform yet for going back to school? 6th class will be so exciting

?

See you're out and out a SF supporter. Whereas you won't find any indication here that I'm a FG supporter. I'll support any valid criticism of any politician. A man choosing to spend his own money on a mid-range pair of shoes, is not valid criticism.

This is not about Varadkar. This is about Cullinane and how he's an ignoramus that's completely unsuitable for public office. The childishness of a 46 year old man shouting "up the RA" was just the beginning, but he's maintained this nonsense throughout.

And the support he maintains within SF displays the wider contagion. O'Broin and Doherty are just as prolific with the invented outrage, but they're a little more savvy than Cullinane and aren't quite as easiy caught out.

This, in the opinion of some, was further evidence of his coldness and lack of empathy...at it's most serious when he huffily challenges a widower on the day of his wife's death to this kind of trite image consciousness..

Buying a pair of shoes and going for dinner with his partner shows a lack of empathy? Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

There was no substance to this tweet. It was bitching for the sake of bitching. SF special.

Actually, I think it was just a stupid idea in the first place to have Leo buying shoes anywhere. Leo is meant to be government minister for the whole country and he shouldn't be doing stupid photoshoots like this that are divisive.

Buying a pair of shoes and going for dinner with his partner shows a lack of empathy? Jaysus.

Did you just ignore what I claimed was the most serious instance of his coldness and lack of empathy? Jaysus, that takes the biscuit.

If you are cold and lack empathy it will reveal itself in various levels. Varadkar has now done it, revealed his lack, at various levels.

he shouldn't be doing stupid photoshoots like this that are divisive.
    The photoshoot was certainly pointless and perhaps frivilous.

But divisive?

The only person who made any noise about it, quickly slunk off into the darkness after realising how ridiculous they were being.

See you're out and out a SF supporter. Whereas you won't find any indication here that I'm a FG supporter. I'll support any valid criticism of any politician. A man choosing to spend his own money on a mid-range pair of shoes, is not valid criticism.

This is not about Varadkar. This is about Cullinane and how he's an ignoramus that's completely unsuitable for public office. The childishness of a 46 year old man shouting "up the RA" was just the beginning, but he's maintained this nonsense throughout.

And the support he maintains within SF displays the wider contagion. O'Broin and Doherty are just as prolific with the invented outrage, but they're a little more savvy than Cullinane and aren't quite as easiy caught out.

I think Cullinane is making very valid points about the new lockdown and meat plants in his role as opposition spokesman.
    Which is maybe why he deleted this tweet...because the huffy indignant..'don't dare criticise Leo' brigade were in full flow and distracting from the more important issues. Maybe that is why they are out in force today...what do you think?

After all, 'We are all in this together loike'.

Shop local. Support the local economy.
    Would you have our taoisigh go around looking like Wallace, Murphy or Boy Barrett?

But divisive?

The only person who made any noise about it, quickly slunk off into the darkness after realising how ridiculous they were being.

Loads of people commented on the PR stunt yesterday on Twitter...not just Cullinane.

Nice spinning there Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

smurgen wrote: »
    People droning on about SF online supporter yet dehumanising language like this gets totally ignored.

Not referring to online supporters here. Referring to thug behaviour of Heffernan (if you are looking for dehumanising language) and eejit behaviour of the moron who ran the "shoe" story.

People can make their own minds up about the Sinn Fein cheerleaders here themselves

Did you just ignore what I claimed was the most serious instance of his coldness and lack of empathy? Jaysus, that takes the biscuit.

If you are cold and lack empathy it will reveal itself in various levels. Varadkar has now done it, revealed his lack, at various levels.

But throwing in buying shoes and having a dinner with your partner is ridiculous.

Shop local. Support the local economy.
    Would you have our taoisigh go around looking like Wallace, Murphy or Boy Barrett?

Totally agree Maryanne....in all of these shoots he is promoting an image.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Totally agree Maryanne....in all of these shoots he is promoting an image.

What image?

• Advertisement

But throwing in buying shoes and having a dinner with your partner is ridiculous.

Not when you are attempting to criticise a pattern of behaviour that shows somebody as being cold, and lacking in empathy.

I don't like making claims without backing it up with evidence and I am not the only one who has observed this in Varadkar.

Right across journalism and politics he has been called on this.

Not when you are attempting to criticise a pattern of behaviour that shows somebody as being cold, and lacking in empathy.

I don't like making claims without backing it up with evidence and I am not the only one who has observed this in Varadkar.

Right across journalism and politics he has been called on this.

So how does these two examples show lack of empathy? Encouraging people to spend in the local economy helps with the COVID recover from a financial perspective.

So how does these two examples show lack of empathy? Encouraging people to spend in the local economy helps with the COVID recover from a financial perspective.

So, somebody says that there is a 'pattern of behaviour here' and you are going to insist on picking out the behaviour that are least serious and DEMAND explanations? :)

There are and were many other ways to support local business.

As part of the image conscious obsession of the man it was worthy of note...the shoe PR shoot.
    The huffy over reaction to somebody in particular commenting on it (a Shinner surprise surprise) and nobody else who commented on it, is funny at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The funny thing is Francie is a passionate supporter of a party who had Gerry Adams as leader. A man who doesn’t even understand the concept of empathy. Not a trace of it in him. As off a human being as you’d meet in a long month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

But divisive?

The timing was poor from the point of view of the lockdown in the country (Kildare, Laois and Offaly), while city slicker Government Minister goes shopping on one of Ireland most expensive streets in the capital to buy a pair of shoes.

A touch of the Marie Antoinette's about it.

So, somebody says that there is a 'pattern of behaviour here' and you are going to insist on picking out the behaviour that are least serious and DEMAND explanations? :)

As part of the image conscious obsession of the man it was worthy of note...the shoe PR shoot.
    The huffy over reaction to somebody in particular commenting on it (a Shinner surprise surprise) and nobody else who commented on it, is funny at this stage.

A bit rich for a Shinner claiming someone lacks empathy to be fair.

Members of FG have done lots of bad things but none have ever murdered people or turned a blind eye to murder.

A bit rich for a Shinner claiming someone lacks empathy to be fair.

Members of FG have done lots of bad things but none have ever murdered people or turned a blind eye to murder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

The timing was poor from the point of view of the lockdown in the country (Kildare, Laois and Offaly), while city slicker Government Minister goes shopping on one of Ireland most expensive streets in the capital to buy a pair of shoes.

A touch of the Marie Antoinette's about it.

Yep cause thats what he was doing there, he was off shopping rather than acting in his role as Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

ffs i'm so sick and tired of this ****e at this stage.

and yeah Francie John Brady was going on about it as well. Kittie Holland and on and on.

Its populist bull****.

I imagine the shop was chosen due to its central location and the government have a pr and taoiseachs/tainaste department who run it. People seriously think Leo is the one who is the man who directs all this stuff?

people haven't got a clue how government and these things are done.

i will agree there is an argument they should be a little smarter about it. and i'm sure somebody would mention going to a cheaper shop but you can be gauranteed the same ****e would be spun. but calling him out for anything is absolute bull****. who said he even bought any ****ing shoes?

Proof of Leo's lack of empathy. Yeah right. For all we know he could be an autistic, awkward, anti social person. I'm no real fan of his but the criticism he gets is stupid just as it was with Enda, who was universally respected and liked in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I don't think the tweet was about money, it was about Leo's coldness, lack of empathy and insensitivity,

For buying a pair of trainers? Next time out, Leo gets criticised because he shops in Supervalu rather than Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Its owned by the Canadian Weston family. Mrs Weston is Irish and they are Ireland's richest family (they own BTs as well).

Read the name again. Penneys. Not Arnotts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement