Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,912 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/torture-gang-vows-to-kill-five-quinn-bosses-38519219.html

Werent you on here last year, laughing at the abduction and torture of Kevin Lumney?
    Yes, yes you were!

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What?

You heard me, you made a big joke about that incident.
    Laughing about the torture of a man.

You heard me, you made a big joke about that incident.
    Laughing about the torture of a man.

Where?

Truthvader wrote: »
    A sick society that has lost its way

So any community/constituency that returns a SFer is 'sick'?

jm08 wrote: »
    Strangely enough, in most countries, they observe the international convention on human rights which in this kind of case means you can't just round up people and throw them in jail in normal countries.

Still, the UK seems to be determined to leave this organisation, so no doubt in the future they will just round up all criminals and just throw them in jail.

Again, you are trying to shift the discussion.

The truth of it is, criminal organisations like the mafia or the PIRA can survive by sheer fear and terror alone, yet they do not have the support of the wider community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

So any community/constituency that returns a SFer is 'sick'?

Yep, now you have it.

It is not OK to murder random people in pursuit of any anything or to break the legs of children, steal, extort etc etc. 25% of the population don't seem to know that or are happy to live with it on the promise of free housing or a united Ireland - or whatever Mary Lou promises them from time to time. Not OK. Sick and lost.

Yep, now you have it.

It is not OK to murder random people in pursuit of any anything or to break the legs of children, steal, extort etc etc. 25% of the population don't seem to know that or are happy to live with it on the promise of free housing or a united Ireland - or whatever Mary Lou promises them from time to time. Not OK. Sick and lost.

What about the communities that elect the people who sent the British Army here, who killed children (18 of them that we know about, alleged to have killed far more) and innocent people too, again many that we know about and many that are alleged...sick as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A woman is not a community!

A woman. Singular. Because only one child was shot or beaten by your heroes. Really Francie. By arguing in the face of reality you undermine everything you say.

www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-49153095

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/1004/1081089-father-denis-faul/

www.irishtimes.com/news/dundalk-beatings-blamed-on-the-ira-1.1118133%3fmode=amp

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/paramilitaries-control-ni-communities-with-muscle-and-fear-1.2628383%3fmode=amp

https://magill.ie/archive/fear-and-loathing-fermanagh

Maybe now Francie you would be kind enough to provide some links to support your belief that no communities lived in fear during the troubles.

Can you answer my question of whether you are able to distinguish between PIRA, New IRA etc.

When you have answered that, I'll ask you another.

For the record (any of the links I clinked on post GFA were all dissident republican activities). The criticism of Sinn Fein seems to be that the PIRA had legitimised this kind of activity during the Troubles.

Again, you are trying to shift the discussion.

The truth of it is, criminal organisations like the mafia or the PIRA can survive by sheer fear and terror alone, yet they do not have the support of the wider community.

You are wrong in the case of the PIRA. The nationalist community turned to the PIRA for defence when attacked by the RUC/BA/loyalist paramilitaries. Internment and the hunger strikes won them all the community support they needed.

What about the communities that elect the people who sent the British Army here, who killed children (18 of them that we know about, alleged to have killed far more) and innocent people too, again many that we know about and many that are alleged...sick as well?

"What about". You just cant stop yourself can you.

Not going into all this again but for starters the British Army was actually sent here to protect the Catholic community from their Protestant neigbours. There were some disgraceful acts committed by the British Army but unlike Sinn Fein IRA they were not full time dedicated to murder and thuggery

• Advertisement

Yep, now you have it.

Are Sinn Fein murdering random people?
    Do you see any difference between Sinn Fein and Dissident Republicans. Just answer Yes or No.

"What about". You just cant stop yourself can you.

Not going into all this again but for starters the British Army was actually sent here to protect the Catholic community from their Protestant neigbours. There were some disgraceful acts committed by the British Army but unlike Sinn Fein IRA they were not full time dedicated to murder and thuggery

OF COURSE you don't want to go into it. Of course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Can you answer my question of whether you are able to distinguish between PIRA, New IRA etc.

When you have answered that, I'll ask you another.

For the record (any of the links I clinked on post GFA were all dissident republican activities). The criticism of Sinn Fein seems to be that the PIRA had legitimised this kind of activity during the Troubles.

Did you watch the Fr. Denis Faul interview from1984?

Get back to me when you have.

Good lad.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

You are wrong in the case of the PIRA. The nationalist community turned to the PIRA for defence when attacked by the RUC/BA/loyalist paramilitaries. Internment and the hunger strikes won them all the community support they needed.

The abiding tragedy that the moralising partitionists and those who ignored the constitutional imperative to protect were a party too.
    They, (and some of them knowingly) allowed a vacuum to develop into which somebody was always going to step.

Are Sinn Fein murdering random people?
    Do you see any difference between Sinn Fein and Dissident Republicans. Just answer Yes or No.

no

Then why did the SDLP outpoll them at every election until 2001?

The vast majority of nationalists rejected SF and their provo brothers, until the PIRA stopped killing.

The vast majority of nationalists rejected SF and their provo brothers, until the PIRA stopped killing.

Again, like the Adams fantasy allegations that don't equate to anything that happens in real life, this theory that the 'electorate' suddenly trusted SF is a nonsense.

It's 25 yrs since the GFA and the southern electorate (the partitionist element) are still going on about distrust but SDLP voters 'suddenly' switched over. :):)

The reality is, the SF election machine didn't really get going until the 90's and they grew their support all the way through despite, censorship, intimidation, a fairly spectacular anti SF bias in the media and the not trivial fact that members of SF were shot dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

SF MEP McManus abstained on a vote criticising China for Hong Kong repression.

Were they running candidates. Didn't Gerry Adams take Gerry Fitt's seat in West Belfast in the early 80s?

By the way, that link to Kevin Lunney's beatings and attempted murder - it says that the Continuity IRA were believed to behind it, not the PIRA as you seem to be claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Were they running candidates. Didn't Gerry Adams take Gerry Fitt's seat in West Belfast in the early 80s?

By the way, that link to Kevin Lunney's beatings and attempted murder - it says that the Continuity IRA were believed to behind it, not the PIRA as you seem to be claiming.

The Real IRA, the Continuity IRA, the Makeuppy IRA

It's all the one group. Anything that happens now it is "dissident Republicans" but check into their history and surprise surprise they are part of the PIRA. THey suddenly jumped ship :p

• Advertisement

Again, like the Adams fantasy allegations that don't equate to anything that happens in real life, this theory that the 'electorate' suddenly trusted SF is a nonsense.

It's 25 yrs since the GFA and the southern electorate (the partitionist element) are still going on about distrust but SDLP voters 'suddenly' switched over. :):)

The reality is, the SF election machine didn't really get going until the 90's and they grew their support all the way through despite, censorship, intimidation, a fairly spectacular anti SF bias in the media and the not trivial fact that members of SF were shot dead.

Calls into question the fact that SDLP outpolled SF at every election until 2001.
    Then, admits its in the next paragraph.

:D

But sure, you never voted SF in your life until recently, am I right? :P

Not as many as they should have. They were too busy trying to murder and bomb their way to a United Ireland. But I guess they didn't have as much support as they thought they had.

Calls into question the fact that SDLP outpolled SF at every election until 2001.

Another lie mark. I didn't question the fact that they outpolled them. Look again without the blinkers on.

You are getting desperate, lying several times today now.

Another lie mark. I didn't question the fact that they outpolled them.

So nationalists gave the SDLP a bigger mandate than SF up to 2001. :D
    As I have said all along, SF/PIRA had no majority support from nationalists for their acts of terror and murder. I am glad we can agree on that.

So nationalists gave the SDLP a bigger mandate than SF up to 2001. :D
    As I have said all along, SF/PIRA had no majority support from nationalists for their acts of terror and murder. I am glad we can agree on that.

When have I ever claimed that?

The simple FACT (those things you detest) is that SF were not equal to the SDLP as an electoral machine for reasons already outlined. Had they been then they would have eclipsed the SDLP long before they did.
    I can't be bothered going to the trouble AGAIN to show you the data on this as you will doubtless try to claim something else was said.

I can't stand posters who lie about what other posters said and when challenged slink and slither away into silence.
    You told a lie about me today and the Kevin Lunney incident and refused to back it up. You know you did it and I hope you are proud of that. At least one other poster knows you did too. You ruled yourself out of being taken as a credible debater.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Superfoods wrote: »
    The Real IRA, the Continuity IRA, the Makeuppy IRA

It's all the one group. Anything that happens now it is "dissident Republicans" but check into their history and surprise surprise they are part of the PIRA. THey suddenly jumped ship :p

Ok, going by this logic - same IRA Michael Collins and Fine Gael evolved from so?

When have I ever claimed that?

The simple FACT (those things you detest) is that SF were not equal to the SDLP as an electoral machine for reasons already outlined. Had they been then they would have eclipsed the SDLP long before they did.

If my Auntie had balls she would be a thoroughbred horse. :D:D

The only fact we know, not some made up 'What if', or "could have" bollix that you like to lean on is that the SDLP up to 2001 was the party most nationalists supported.

The rest is mere conjecture and bull****, done to peddle a myth that most nationalists supported a ragtag bunch of murderers, rapists, bombers and child killers.

If my Auntie had balls she would be a thoroughbred horse. :D:D

The only fact we know, not some made up 'What if', or "could have" bollix that you like to lean on is that the SDLP up to 2001 was the party most nationalists supported.

The rest is mere conjecture and bull****, done to peddle a myth that most nationalists supported a ragtag bunch of murderers, rapists, bombers and child killers.

The myth peddled is that the switch from the SDLP was sudden...it wasn't anything like that and actually follows the pattern you would expect of a party gradually building their electoral base and performance.

The bizarre idea that people switched en masse to vote for a party in the volatile post GFA period when the IRA had still not de-comissioned, police reform had not been achieved is 'actual' mythmaking because as we know in the south, that is not the way REAL life works.

So you cling to that level of analysis if you wish...who cares what you think. You are not interested in informed analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ok, going by this logic - same IRA Michael Collins and Fine Gael evolved from so?

Not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.
    The provos departed from the IRA who then became known as the official IRA.
    Their stance on who and what should be targeted was the reason for the split as far as I know.
    The provos only formed themselves at the beginnings of the troubles, so they are relatively new.
    Again the continuity IRA formed from that because they didn't support the GFA as they reckoned that was a surrender.
    The provos were prepared to kill civilian targets and bomb civilian businesses, in short they were considered ruthless and psychopathic by others at the time.
    Of course this was true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

The myth peddled is that the switch from the SDLP was sudden...it wasn't anything like that and actually follows the pattern you would expect of a party gradually building their electoral base and performance.

The bizarre idea that people switched en masse to vote for a party in the volatile post GFA period when the IRA had still not de-comissioned, police reform had not been achieved is 'actual' mythmaking because as we know in the south, that is not the way REAL life works.

So you cling to that level of analysis if you wish...who cares what you think. You are not interested in informed analysis.

It seems you have one memory of history, your entitled to your view of course

Don't expect the rest of the World to believe that rubbish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement