Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Sf don't do irony, do they? As long as everyone agrees with them it is fine but if someone does not, they... have the gall to start on about trolling.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Sf don't do irony, do they? As long as everyone agrees with them it is fine but if someone does not, they... have the gall to start on about trolling.

It is also ironic when people troll people about giving out about trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Superfoods wrote: »
    Bulls**t. That's the new rosy version that Sinn Fein and a few of you on here want to tell us. Oh they only went after informers, apart from that they provided a friendly neighbourhood service

People got beating for any sort of stepping out of line.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/paramilitaries-step-up-violence-of-punishment-attacks-1.285012

At around 7 p.m. a gang of men forced their way into a house in Brewster Court and attacked a 19-year-old youth. They smashed his leg in several places with an iron bar and also struck him with considerable force on the arms and body. The youth suffered severe chest injuries and one of his lungs collapsed. His recovery will take a long time and he is likely to be permanently handicapped.

Police and medical sources say the paramilitaries are well aware that the type of injury inflicted by weapons such as metal bars, pickaxes, hammers and clubs - sometimes studded with nails - are significantly worse than injuries caused by hand guns.

That's the level of scumbag the PIRA......anyone defending that needs to really look at themselves. All of course protected by your local friendly Sinn Fein politician. Yes "Up da Ra" Sinn Fein "Up da RA"

Who is defending it?

All you guys want to do, typically, is try to contextualise it in an environment where only the IRA were operational.

Simply wrong and wholly hypocritical.

It is time for all of you to face up to the fact that a bitter intractable, vicious (on all sides) conflict/war was allowed to break out because the responsible governments failed their people.

ALL of the violence was obscene and unjustified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Did you hear him calling for the “release of all republican prisoners” as stated in your earlier post?

He called for the release of republican prisoners. He didn't actually use the word ''all''.

Enjoy your little internet victory on the use of one word, but certainly with the ''all'' does not mean what you are trying to claim.

Bulls**t. That's the new rosy version that Sinn Fein and a few of you on here want to tell us. Oh they only went after informers, apart from that they provided a friendly neighbourhood service

People got beating for any sort of stepping out of line.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/paramilitaries-step-up-violence-of-punishment-attacks-1.285012

At around 7 p.m. a gang of men forced their way into a house in Brewster Court and attacked a 19-year-old youth. They smashed his leg in several places with an iron bar and also struck him with considerable force on the arms and body. The youth suffered severe chest injuries and one of his lungs collapsed. His recovery will take a long time and he is likely to be permanently handicapped.

Police and medical sources say the paramilitaries are well aware that the type of injury inflicted by weapons such as metal bars, pickaxes, hammers and clubs - sometimes studded with nails - are significantly worse than injuries caused by hand guns.

That's the level of scumbag the PIRA......anyone defending that needs to really look at themselves. All of course protected by your local friendly Sinn Fein politician. Yes "Up da Ra" Sinn Fein "Up da RA"

If you had actually bothered to read that article you might have noticed that:
    1) the PIRA were not mentioned once and

2) they say it is dissident republicans.

I asked you before, but you didn't answer. Do you understand that there are dissident republicans who may have been in the PIRA in the past but do not support the Peace Process?

From that article, the republicans seem to be keeping law and order but the loyalists are drug dealers and criminals and seem to be a much larger problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

jm08 wrote: »
    He called for the release of republican prisoners. He didn't actually use the word ''all''.

Enjoy your little internet victory on the use of one word, but certainly with the ''all'' does not mean what you are trying to claim.

Thank you for finally admitting that. Words are important. Even one word can change a yes into a no.

I am not being pedantic, but you patronisingly corrected me with incorrect information. Advising me to “Read properly” an interview which you hadn’t bothered to listen to until you were corrected.

So now that we have cleared that up are you still arguing that Fr. Faul didn’t believe his community was living in fear?
    That they turned to the PIRA rather than the police because were afraid to go to the police, whom Fr. Faul says they would go to “immediately” in relation to all but political crimes?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1294938686933655553?s=21

Sinn Féin activists have been repeatedly warned not to send offensive or harassing material to people online in guidelines issued by party headquarters.

The party has also warned members and supporters not to discuss internal party matters online and not to repost material from people "who are politically opposed to us".

A "casual, naive or irresponsible approach" to social media like Facebook and Twitter can "cause problems for the party", the guidelines state.

Time to call off the dogs of war from around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Tbh i struggle to think taking out billy wright was a bad mornings work or unjustified

You could say the same about Grew, Lynagh, McGlinchey and the "own goalers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

If you had actually bothered to read that article you might have noticed that:
    1) the PIRA were not mentioned once and

2) they say it is dissident republicans.

I asked you before, but you didn't answer. Do you understand that there are dissident republicans who may have been in the PIRA in the past but do not support the Peace Process?

From that article, the republicans seem to be keeping law and order but the loyalists are drug dealers and criminals and seem to be a much larger problem.

From the article. Maybe read it again. I will highlight to help you.

Typical of the new form of "punishments" is one administered by an IRA unit in the Bogside of Derry on Wednesday evening.

Thank you for finally admitting that. Words are important. Even one word can change a yes into a no.

I am not being pedantic, but you patronisingly corrected me with incorrect information. Advising me to “Read properly” an interview which you hadn’t bothered to listen to until you were corrected.

So now that we have cleared that up are you still arguing that Fr. Faul didn’t believe his community was living in fear?
    That they turned to the PIRA rather than the police because were afraid to go to the police, whom Fr. Faul says they would go to “immediately” in relation to all but political crimes?

Still waiting for you to identify a community in fear, given that you said 'then and now'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Especially when your side surrendered and did not achieve its objectives, would you not agree?

I'm on the side of freedom and democracy. The PIRA didn't achieve their objectives militarily, no doubt. As for surrendered?

Still waiting for you to identify a community in fear, given that you said 'then and now'.

Are you serious?

Still waiting for you to reply to how you would have intervened to prevent gerrymandering.

Are you serious?
    You made the claim you back it up.
    Or were you just repeating stuff you heard?
    Still waiting for you to reply to how you would have intervened to prevent gerrymandering.

When did you ask that? And why would 'I' be intervening?

Do you mean the government here? There was all manner of diplomatic action they could have taken to get the British to stop Unionists changing the system.
    They didn't care enough.

You made the claim you back it up.
    Or were you just repeating stuff you heard?

When did you ask that? And why would 'I' be intervening?

Do you mean the government here? There was all manner of diplomatic action they could have taken to get the British to stop Unionists changing the system.
    They didn't care enough.

I provided links to examples of members of communities and community leaders Stating that they and their communities lived in fear. In terror.

But because YOUR experience was that YOUR community didn’t live in fear you dismiss the fear experienced by other communities out of hand.

Parents arranging for their children to be kneecapped?
    Francie: A woman is not a community.

Slab Murphy and his underground torture chamber?
    Francie: Just your average friendly neighbour.

Fr. Denis Faul: The Catholic community is living in terror of the PIRA, they are living in absolute terror.
    Francie: Fr. Faul is only saying that cos he fell out with SF

The Protestants if Fermanagh?
    Francie: Ignored that one. Maybe they aren’t considered a community.

And you live close to Newtownbutler?

Go on Francie. You are a great man for calling on others to support their opinion and only accept as fact things that are either SF press releases or proven in a court of law.

So tell us the “all manner of diplomatic actions they could have taken” that would have “stopped the unionists changing the system”.

I provided links to examples of members of communities and community leaders Stating that they and their communities lived in fear. In terror.

But because YOUR experience was that YOUR community didn’t live in fear you dismiss the fear experienced by other communities out of hand.

Parents arranging for their children to be kneecapped?
    Francie: A woman is not a community.

Slab Murphy and his underground torture chamber?
    Francie: Just your average friendly neighbour.

Fr. Denis Faul: The Catholic community is living in terror of the PIRA, they are living in absolute terror.
    Francie: Fr. Faul is only saying that cos he fell out with SF

The Protestants if Fermanagh?
    Francie: Ignored that one. Maybe they aren’t considered a community.

And you live close to Newtownbutler?

Go on Francie. You are a great man for calling on others to support their opinion and only accept as fact things that are either SF press releases or proven in a court of law.

So tell us the “all manner of diplomatic actions they could have taken” that would have “stopped the unionists changing the system”.

Still no examples of a community in fear that you know of.

They could have gone all the way to cutting diplomatic ties with Beitain over what was going on, they did nothing effective for Irish people is the point.

Still no examples of a community in fear that you know of.

They could have gone all the way to cutting diplomatic ties with Beitain over what was going on, they did nothing effective for Irish people is the point.

Jeez. Cutting diplomatic ties is you r solution and still claiming no examples.

The “utter waffler” moniker you have earned elsewhere seems deserved.

Jeez. Cutting diplomatic ties is you r solution and still claiming no examples.

The “utter waffler” moniker you have earned elsewhere seems deserved.

What do you think should have been done? Do you stand over what was done?

We stood 'idly by'. A Taoiseach saying we wouldn't, means there were options to do something/anything.

What do you think should have been done? Do you stand over what was done?

We stood 'idly by'. A Taoiseach saying we wouldn't, means there were options to do something/anything.

Stop waffling and answer instead of throwing questions back to cover your bluffing

Edgware wrote: »
    Stop waffling and answer

I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

I did.

No you didn’t

PS it was me who said communities lived in fear. I know you are arguing with everyone on boards so it gets confusing

I was up north yesterday for the day, lovely day it was. Back up next weekend for a lovely weekend away. You really should one day go up to NI yourself one day...

• Advertisement

No you didn’t

PS it was me who said communities lived in fear. I know you are arguing with everyone on boards so it gets confusing

I was up north yesterday for the day, lovely day it was. Back up next weekend for a lovely weekend away. You really should one day go up to NI yourself one day...

I agree. It is a great place to visit. Drove to Belfast via Warrenpoint and Rostrevor lately. On a sunny day it was beautiful under the Mournes and looking out to sea. We went on to see the Joey and Robert Dunlops memorial garden in Ballymoney. We met some local people who were really lovely. They are very proud of the Dunlops. They told us that they get so many visitors from the South who are so respectful and regularly leave flowers and memorials. They never released how popular Joey was throughout the island.
    There's more that unites us than separates us

No you didn’t

Wrong again.
    I was particularly annoyed by this statement. Where a poster is clearly depending on received 'wisdom' as they have again and again refused to identify any communities living in fear.
    Safesurfer wrote:
    I think it is fair to say that there were communities in Northern Ireland living in fear during the troubles and to this day.
    I live on the border for almost 60 years, and have done a large amount of work in what could be called the Peace & Rec sphere and have never come across a 'community in fear', in fact I think it is amazing how strong and resilianr communities are.
    Yes there are, as I said, incidences where individuals are in fear or small pods of people...but as I said at the start...the lazy trope of 'communities in fear' is just that .
    Superfoods wrote:
    Edgeware wrote:
    I agree. It is a great place to visit. Drove to Belfast via Warrenpoint and Rostrevor lately. On a sunny day it was beautiful under the Mournes and looking out to sea. We went on to see the Joey and Robert Dunlops memorial garden in Ballymoney. We met some local people who were really lovely. They are very proud of the Dunlops. They told us that they get so many visitors from the South who are so respectful and regularly leave flowers and memorials. They never released how popular Joey was throughout the island.
    There's more that unites us than separates us

Who ever told you it was anything different up 'here'?

Oh yeh, lazy journalists and pundits, talking about 'communities in fear' etc etc.

Wrong again.
    I was particularly annoyed by this statement. Where a poster is clearly depending on received 'wisdom' as they have again and again refused to identify any communities living in fear.

I live on the border for almost 60 years, and have done a large amount of work in what could be called the Peace & Rec sphere and have never come across a 'community in fear', in fact I think it is amazing how strong and resilianr communities are.
    Yes there are, as I said, incidences where individuals are in fear or small pods of people...but as I said at the start...the lazy trope of 'communities in fear' is just that .

Oh yeh, lazy journalists and pundits, talking about 'communities in fear' etc etc.

Where did I say it was any different. Despite from being down "there" I have been all over the North down through the years at horse racing, motorcycle events etc. But you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you deny that the paramilitaries still have a negative influence over people in the community. If you allegedly live along the border maybe you cant see the woods because of the trees

As I've said, enjoy your major internet argument victory over the use of the word ''all''. Removing that word, does not change what he was saying.

As for going to the RUC about everyday matters. I doubt if the PIRA were verifying with insurance companies that car accidents had happened and providing reports of them. Or if your house was burnt down, the insurance company would pay out on the word of the PIRA.

Now, you have still not answered my question about whether you can distinguish a difference between the PIRA and other republican paramilitary organisations such as New IRA, INLA etc. etc.

Edgware wrote: »
    Where did I say it was any different. Despite from being down "there" I have been all over the North down through the years at horse racing, motorcycle events etc. But you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you deny that the paramilitaries still have a negative influence over people in the community. If you allegedly live along the border maybe you cant see the woods because of the trees

Come on Edge...you are claiming paramilitaries have communities like mine in fear...name one.

From the article. Maybe read it again. I will highlight to help you.

Typical of the new form of "punishments" is one administered by an IRA unit in the Bogside of Derry on Wednesday evening.

Which IRA? Officials? Provisionals? Continuity IRA? Oglaigh na hEireann? New IRA?

Wrong again.

Are there still “peace walls” in Northern Ireland?

Maybe you could answer honestly.

First built in the 1920s (then) still in existence today as a majority of residents (communities) (69%) believe they are still necessary for their safety.

But If Francie says it ain’t so it ain’t so. Is that how this works?

As I've said, enjoy your major internet argument victory over the use of the word ''all''. Removing that word, does not change what he was saying.

As for going to the RUC about everyday matters. I doubt if the PIRA were verifying with insurance companies that car accidents had happened and providing reports of them. Or if your house was burnt down, the insurance company would pay out on the word of the PIRA.

Now, you have still not answered my question about whether you can distinguish a difference between the PIRA and other republican paramilitary organisations such as New IRA, INLA etc. etc.

Yes I can distinguish the difference between the Old IRA, Official IRA, New IRA, Continuity IRA, Real, IRA, IRLA , IRM, INLA, IPLO.

What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Which IRA? Officials? Provisionals? Continuity IRA? Oglaigh na hEireann? New IRA?

I love this. Are you talking about the IRA or the IRA? Because the IRA is completely different from the IRA. And then there is the IRA. They are separate from the IRA and the IRA.

Perhaps we should just refer to them all as murderous, terrorist bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I love this. Are you talking about the IRA or the IRA? Because the IRA is completely different from the IRA. And then there is the IRA. They are separate from the IRA and the IRA.

Perhaps we should just refer to them all as murderous, terrorist bastards.

Which brings me back to this one.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ok, going by this logic - same IRA Michael Collins and Fine Gael evolved from so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement