Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, maybe I am tying it wrong....

I didn't ask about FF and FG who have clear issues with SF. Of all the other parties who have joined with them?

The other parties would have weighed in if FF or FG agreed to a deal with SF. There was no point otherwise.

Of the other parties I think only Labour were the ones coming out with that old "we won't do business with SF" schtick.

Anyway the deals been done to suit FF primarily, they will be the senior partner, and there's the quid pro quo that FF backed FG in the Confidence and Supply government. So FG owe them one and FG will also take the gamble that as a "party of government" perhaps they can recover some ground while keeping some of their Ministerial gigs etc.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I don't think there will be another election anytime soon. If FFG cobble together a government as seems likely they will stick it out for a full term. They know they are putting themselves in a vulnerable position as it is re their traditional hold on Irish politics by going into government officially together. If they pull the plug early in the lifetime of the next government that would only make things worse.

They havnt the numbers.....they need 8 to 10 helpers/indo to govern and 12-14 to safely govern

Their complete arrongance in excluding greens in coalition talks has come back to haunt em

They've spent last month sneering at the shinners for failing utterly to form a government and now are caught with no pants on as the tide has gone out on em....there is a beautiful irony in all this

Unless they go for a national government,there will be an election,but both varadkar and martin lack capacity to carry their party,neither are as popular among rank-and-file members that i know,both locally and nationally, as its protrayed...alot of internal strife within FF in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

20% Francie? Are you massaging that figure?

Apologies...20.9% to be exact.

SF have 22.8% to be precise in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The other parties would have weighed in if FF or FG agreed to a deal with SF. There was no point otherwise.

Of the other parties I think only Labour were the ones coming out with that old "we won't do business with SF" schtick.

Anyway the deals been done to suit FF primarily, they will be the senior partner, and there's the quid pro quo that FF backed FG in the Confidence and Supply government. So FG owe them one and FG will also take the gamble that as a "party of government" perhaps they can recover some ground while keeping some of their Ministerial gigs etc.

Ok, is it that difficult to admit that no party in Ireland wants to work with SF? PBP as far as I am aware said they would if SF bent over backwards and accepted all their terms. SO that would be a no.

Would that not suggest to people, that the problem is with SF? and not with every other party in Ireland?

P.S. I know I posted this before, but the SF supporters seem to ignore this minor detail and always revert back to "but but but but FF and FG"

FG have 20% of the vote here.

With that result FG said they would go into opposition because of such a poor result. Yet you are telling us that the North thinks SF are ready for government??

Something doesn't add up in those two statements, does it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Would that not suggest to people, that the problem is with SF? and not with every other party in Ireland?

Not really
    I think no party wants to be first or out on their own for fear of the consequences
    Those being a lashing from their own supporters and other parties
    It's not an easy conundrum

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Not really
    I think no party wants to be first or out on their own for fear of the consequences
    Those being a lashing from their own supporters and other parties
    It's not an easy conundrum

But Mary Lou was on the TV telling us all that she was talking to them. Greens, PBP, Social De etc etc

They havnt the numbers.....they need 8 to 10 helpers/indo to govern and 12-14 to safely govern

Their complete arrongance in excluding greens in coalition talks has come back to haunt em

They've spent last month sneering at the shinners for failing utterly to form a government and now are caught with no pants on as the tide has gone out on em....there is a beautiful irony in all this

Unless they go for a national government,there will be an election,but both varadkar and martin lack capacity to carry their party,neither are as popular among rank-and-file members that i know,both locally and nationally, as its protrayed...alot of internal strife within FF in particular
    Yes, FF in particular are in danger of splitting apart. They're not happy campers. You've got guys like O'Cuiv and rural FF members who might prefer a coalition with SF to a coalition with FG and then you've got o'Callaghan and Chambers who are scared of SF because SF will steal their clothes and they're trying to pretend that FF and SF are incompatible. Both factions see the danger of allowing SF to lead the opposition and MM is in an impossible position trying to keep them all happy.

FF used to be The Republican Party. My old man was member, he'd be turning in his grave God rest him that they're going to go into government with The Blueshirts.

If they go in with FG and others though as seems likely they'll have to make it work for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,930 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

YEs but have 35 seats....seats count, not first preferences
    So why are you on about percentages?
    With that result FG said they would go into opposition because of such a poor result.
    Well if you adopt the attitude that I have...that FF and FG will speak volumes out of both sides of their mouths at the same time, then you will believe anything they might say.
    Yet you are telling us that the North thinks SF are ready for government??

Something doesn't add up in those two statements, does it?

What?
    Where did I say 'the North thinks SF are ready for government'...what are you on about?

Ok, is it that difficult to admit that no party in Ireland wants to work with SF? PBP as far as I am aware said they would if SF bent over backwards and accepted all their terms. SO that would be a no.

P.S. I know I posted this before, but the SF supporters seem to ignore this minor detail and always revert back to "but but but but FF and FG"

That's the way you'll spin it but nah, not even FFG fans will actually believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

So what are SF doing today to try and form a government?

Has Mary Lou picked up the phone to FF today? Has she made any attempt to meet FF (or any of the other parties) half-way, or is it all about SF?

hmmm wrote: »

Has Mary Lou picked up the phone to FF today? Has she made any attempt to meet FF (or any of the other parties) half-way, or is it all about SF?

You haven't been paying attention have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

hmmm wrote: »

why should she do that again? ff and fg made it clear they have no time for democracy and ruled SF out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

maccored wrote: »
    why should she do that again? ff and fg made it clear they have no time for democracy and ruled SF out

How have FF and FG made it clear they have no time for democracy exactly?

How have FF and FG made it clear they have no time for democracy exactly?

because they are fit to decide they wont talk to parties that have as much as vote percentage as they themselves have. not really interested in forming a government .. just interested in playing silly arseholes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

She said the day of the election results FF or FG in government would be a disaster.

So she kind of ruled them out herself.

because they are fit to decide they wont talk to parties that have as much as vote percentage as they themselves have. not really interest in forming a government .. just interested in playing silly arseholes

Nothing undemocratic about that. If the Conservatives needed 7 seats to form a government and wanted to talk to SF, and SF refused, would that be anti-democratic on the part of SF?

I don't think it would be. You?

She said the day of the election results FF or FG in government would be a disaster.

So she kind of ruled them out herself.

ah right. so she didnt ring MM or anything then ...... :rolleyes:

Nothing undemocratic about that. If the Conservatives needed 7 seats to form a government and wanted to talk to SF, and SF refused, would that be anti-democratic on the part of SF?

I don't think it would be. You?

thats a bit of a silly question considering SF dont recognise WM. FF or FG cant say they are doing everything to form a government but refusing to talk to SF

thats a bit of a silly question considering SF dont recognise WM. FF or FG cant say they are doing everything to form a government but refusing to talk to SF

Nothing silly about it all. By your logic it's undemocratic. Or is it only undemocratic when FF/FG do it?

By the by, why would any Irish party want to be in government with a party that doesn't even recognise the parliament of our closest neighbour?

• Advertisement

Nothing silly about it all. By your logic it's undemocratic. Or is it only undemocratic when FF/FG do it?

By the by, why would any Irish party want to be in government with a party that doesn't even recognise the parliament of our closest neighbour?

Well maybe you can tell a few others on here that SF tried their best and were blocked by FF and FG - since thats what happened. Call it what you want - I call it complete ignorance and recklessness by FF and FG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

British SF don't recognize it whereas Irish SF do :D

Well maybe you can tell a few others on here that SF tried their best and were blocked by FF and FG - since thats what happened. Call it what you want - I call it complete ignorance and recklessness by FF and FG

You inferred that both parties were undemocratic. This is not true. Would it be reckless and ignorance if SF refused to talk to the Conservatives about forming a government?

Or is it only ignorance and recklessness when such a thing happens to SF?

jh79 wrote: »
    British SF don't recognize it whereas Irish SF do :D

It's farcical. Regardless I thought modern SF did recognise it, just refused to sit in it.

You inferred that both parties were undemocratic. This is not true. Would it be reckless and ignorance if SF refused to talk to the Conservatives about forming a government?

Or is it only ignorance and recklessness when such a thing happens to SF?

off you go - keep missing the point.

It's farcical. Regardless I thought modern SF did recognise it, just refused to sit in it.

whats farcical about it?

off you go - keep missing the point.

No point missed. I'm using your "logic". Maybe you now see how silly it is.

No point missed. I'm using your "logic". Maybe you now see how silly it is.

i see you arent arguing the fact that SF have tried to form a government with FF and FF refuses to talk to them.

i see you arent arguing the fact that SF have tried to form a government with FF and FF refuses to talk to them.

They don't have to. Would you be making the same arguments if SF did likewise with a Conservative government in Britain? I think not.

• Advertisement

They don't have to. Would you be making the same arguments if SF did likewise with a Conservative government in Britain? I think not.

what are you talking about?

Its been stated SF have vanished, havent been trying to set up a govn etc etc. Ive pointed out this untruth to that line of thought.

meantime you waffle on about the conservatives. You deserve the Whataboutery Award for that one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement