Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Saw that and yes, she really is the lowest of the low.

It’s her ignorance that amazes me. Then again, she only has to be a brain cell smarter than her voters and that is quite obviously the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,943 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I am working in pharma for 22 years, I have more of a clue than you what goes on and how difficult it is to produce product on a daily basis .

But the IT article contradicts what you say. Production can clearly be ramped up in some facilities.

I don't doubt you work in a plant, but there are all levels of employees. So without anything concrete your end I will stick with what facts about this I can find.

My god lads and lassies, if you don't expect your politicians to speak up in a crisis (even if they are profoundly wrong) what kind of servile whipping dogs are you?

Try to imagine what it would be like when FG realise their goal of being in opposition...would Leo be 'mouthing off' everytime he called for something?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    According to your mate earlier nobody is required to back up data with links, it’s in the charter

Hence why your knocking around so long :-)

No, they don't have to comply and that can speak for itself a lot of the time.

But the IT article contradicts what you say. Production can clearly be ramped up in some facilities.

I don't doubt you work in a plant, but there are all levels of employees. So without anything concrete your end I will stick with what facts about this I can find.

My god lads and lassies, if you don't expect your politicians to speak up in a crisis (even if they are profoundly wrong) what kind of servile whipping dogs are you?

Try to imagine what it would be like when FG realise their goal of being in opposition...would Leo be 'mouthing off' everytime he called for something?

Your politicians should speak up, even if they are profoundly wrong. High bar you are setting there.

So without anything concrete your end I will stick with what facts about this I can find.

Educate yourself:

https://www.drugs.com/fda-approval-process.html

• Advertisement

What do you think ramped up means?

It means sourcing extra materials, training extra staff, distributing the experienced staff in new teams, and that's assuming the labs and lines have excess capacity or can be transferred to 24/7 production (which isn't possible for all products). All while maintaining extremely high quality control (because you make a mistake you could kill someone with lousy product, get your entire plant audited by national (and international) authorities).

Once you make the extra product, you need to boost storage, distribution, etc.

It's not like flicking a switch and anyone who doesn't know that shouldn't be given airtime on the news, let alone hold a position in a mainstream party.

The idea a plant that makes one pharma product could just transfer to making "tests" or some different product is so ignorant it's nearly beyond description.

You come across as a tad under informed. She wasn't talking about new drugs or a vaccine.
    Today at our briefing I urged the
    @HSELive
    to step up engagements with the pharmaceutical companies in Ireland to ensure that we have a secure & steady supply of testing kits & equipment as well as PPE for staff who need it

What do you think ramped up means?

It means sourcing extra materials, training extra staff, distributing the experienced staff in new teams, and that's assuming the labs and lines have excess capacity or can be transferred to 24/7 production (which isn't possible for all products). All while maintaining extremely high quality control (because you make a mistake you could kill someone with lousy product, get your entire plant audited by national (and international) authorities).

Once you make the extra product, you need to boost storage, distribution, etc.

It's not like flicking a switch and anyone who doesn't know that should be given airtime on the news, let along hold a position in a mainstream party.

The idea a plant that makes one pharma product could just transfer to making "tests" or some different product is so ignorant it's nearly beyond description.

As I said, in a crisis, what ordinarily seems impossible is suddenly possible.
    We already see some companies voluntarily switching their production lines to make essential supplies - for instance in France LVMH is converting its perfume factories to make hand sanitiser2, and in Spain, fragrance and fashion business Puig has offered the Government its production capacity for the manufacturing of hydroalcoholic and sanitising solutions3. In Italy, pharma company Menarini has converted its production plant to produce and donate disinfectant gel4. In the UK, distillery companies are said to be switching production to hand sanitiser5, and France's Pernod Ricard confirmed it is supplying its 96% proof alcohol to partners producing sanitising gel in the UK, France, Ireland and Sweden (with national tax authorities rushing to pave the way)6.

Clonakilty distilleries are now making hand sanitizer. A great initiative. People won’t die without their whiskey though.
    If a facility is producing a critical drug, they can’t switch. That’s the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

See Louise OReilly mouthing off on the news about Pharma plants having to step up to the plate .She is a lousy piece of ****e , the majority of pharma plants are already 24/7 365 and are struggling to keep up with batches . Not a word about the employees that have to go in and work in the plants risking bringing the virus home to their family if they become infected at work . Not all of us can stay at home and get paid for it .

It appears that SF are reverting to type. They are out of the spotlight for now as the government is busy running the country, so SF are desperate for a bit of attention or limelight. So a 'moan a day' is all they will give ya.

Pearse giving out about AIB
    O'Reilly giving out about pharma
    O'Brion will be out tomorrow giving out about something related to housing...

..but no one cares about SF anymore, at least for the time being.

• Advertisement

You are talking about one pharma company, worldwide, transferring production to a disinfectant gel? What used they make before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Alcohol producing company producing alcohol based sanitiser is not the same as a pharma plant just starting to produce kits for testing . Your arguing on a subject you don’t understand just try to defend the ****e spouted by a troublemaker.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The more SF talk in reality it’s the better for everyone else. They continue to alienate people all over the country

Imagine these gobsh**s if they actually had power....place would be a complete mess

I think many voters may have voters remorse when it comes to SF and when this emergency dies down over the next 3-6 months, people will want stability and a strong economy... that means a shift back to FF and FG.

Clonakilty distilleries are now making hand sanitizer. A great initiative. People won’t die without their whiskey though.
    If a facility is producing a critical drug, they can’t switch. That’s the bottom line.

Who said anything about critical facilities switching...will you quit inventing stuff...you are embarrassing yourself. First it is 'new drug production' now it is 'switching off 'critical facilities'.

Alcohol producing company producing alcohol based sanitiser is not the same as a pharma plant just starting to produce kits for testing . Your arguing on a subject you don’t understand just try to defend the ****e spouted by a troublemaker.

Francie defends SF no matter what they come out with

You are talking about one pharma company, worldwide, transferring production to a disinfectant gel? What used they make before?

Actually, I am talking about big pharma, just like every other company, stepping up to the plate.

Francie defends SF no matter what they come out with

And what exactly is it you do? You just invented two things the woman said and attacked her for saying them. Get a grip.

Who said anything about critical facilities switching...will you quit inventing stuff...you are embarrassing yourself. First it is 'new drug production' now it is 'switching off 'critical facilities'.

Yes, everybody on this thread tonight is exposing your ignorance yet I’m the one embarrassing myself. Good one francie!

Actually, I am talking about big pharma, just like every other company, stepping up to the plate.

who in "big pharma" did you have in mind?

For example, tell me how Pfizer could produce more tests in Ireland?

What should they do?

aido79 wrote: »
    She needs to be pulled up on this. Why is she allowed to go on camera and come out with nonsense without fact checking it first or even doing the slightest bit of research? Next she'll be expecting them to come up with a vaccine.

SF and fact-checking...? Pffttt! Fact-checking is for losers.
    SF are masters of the dark arts of fake news and spouting guff.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    I think many voters may have voters remorse when it comes to SF and when this emergency dies down over the next 3-6 months, people will want stability and a strong economy... that means a shift back to FF and FG.

In the face of the latest poll that shows FF losing ground?? Really...remorse?

who in "big pharma" did you have in mind?

For example, tell me how Pfizer could produce more tests in Ireland?

What should they do?

Should that not be something you ask of LoR?

I presented a list of many companies stepping up to different plates. It's a crisis.
    If you require servile, silent politicians, maybe a democracy isn't the place for you.

I expect every TD in the Dáil to speak up and be heard. EVERYONE of them.

It's Hilarious, equating the manufacturing of hand sanitiser to a pharma plant making life-saving cancer drugs.

One is easy and can be done in someone's house, the other is very very very hard.

It's like arguing with Dougal at this stage.

Wgha3WS.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

One word here re SF at the moment. Well maybe two...

Louise O Reilly.

I presented a list of many companies stepping up to different plates. It's a crisis.
    If you require servile, silent politicians, maybe a democracy isn't the place for you.

‘Even if what they are saying is profoundly wrong’

Your words

Yes, everybody on this thread tonight is exposing your ignorance yet I’m the one embarrassing myself. Good one francie!

You made up two things about what she said.

Here they are, in case you try and winkle out of it now, like a few others.

You thought she was talking about developing drugs.

And you thought she was talking about shutting down the manufacture of critical drugs.

What an embarrassment. Tripping over yourself to get the digs in.

You made up two things about what she said.

Here they are, in case you try and winkle out of it now, like a few others.

You thought she was talking about developing drugs.

And you thought she was talking about shutting down the manufacture of critical drugs.

What an embarrassment. Tripping over yourself to get the digs in.

I never said anything about developing drugs! Jesus wept

‘Even if what they are saying is profoundly wrong’

Your words

Yes. Even if they are wrong.

If you feel something is important...speak up. Don't be afraid of a bunch of servile detractors waiting to pounce on you.

Sinn Féin TDs Louise O’Reilly and Darren O’Rourke have called for Ireland’s pharmaceutical sector to be fully utilised to produce COVID-19 testing kits and materials now.

Their comments come as a global shortage of extraction material used in the testing process is resulting in significant delays and limitations on testing here.

Speaking this evening, Deputy O'Reilly said;

ʺIn recent days it has become evident that a lack of reagent used in the COVID-19 testing process, has led to a significant delay for patients receiving test results, and a significantly lower number of people being tested each day, than was previously planned.

ʺDespite previously setting a target of 15,000 tests per day, only about 10% of that is now being realised here.

ʺThere is an international shortage of extraction material used in the testing process, causing significant disruption to testing for COVID-19 across the globe, including here in Ireland.

ʺAs the COVID-19 crisis grows day on day, the international demand on this material is only going to increase, putting significant pressure on the testing regime here.

ʺDr Cillian de Gascun has said that the extraction material, which is used to extract the viral RNA in the testing process, is proprietary meaning strict patent laws govern who can and cannot manufacture it. The lack of it, is now causing delays here."

Teachta O'Rourke said;

ʺThe government need to urgently engage with pharmaceutical companies that are located in Ireland, with a view to developing test kits for use here domestically, as the international market clearly cannot meet the demand required. All options, including the compulsory licensing of intellectual property, should be considered in an effort to maximise production.

ʺIreland has a world-renowned and long-established pharmaceutical sector, with the top 10 pharmaceutical companies operating here, and this needs to be utilised fully.

ʺWe have thousands of highly skilled workers in this sector, and there is no reason we shouldn’t be able to manufacture COVID-19 testing kits and materials here.

ʺAbbott Laboratories have announced a rapid COVID-19 test which they intend to roll out in the United States. Abbott employs 3,000 people here in Ireland, across 9 sites, and the government need to engage with this company to see if production and supply of these new tests can begin here too.

ʺWe cannot sit by and hope the international market deliver the materials needed at some stage in the future. We need domestic production of COVID-19 tests and materials now."

The above is from SF’s website. The level of ignorance as to how the pharma industry works is astounding in that passage.

• Advertisement

As outlined already, our pharma companies are stepping up already.

What you are asking is akin to asking a car factory to start making planes. Sure, they are both complex modes of transport, doesn't means you can build them with the same kit.

Or, since you like growing vegetables, expecting your radish patch to be turned into an apple orchard overnight, because the country needs apples in a crisis.

You can't just say to pharma "make this" without knowing if they have the underlying capacity to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement