Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,945 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I never said anything about developing drugs! Jesus wept

Here comes the winkle out. :rolleyes:

You linked to this and told me to 'educate myself'.

https://www.drugs.com/fda-approval-process.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I expect every TD in the Dáil to speak up and be heard. EVERYONE of them.

Ah, still stuck in the era of megaphone politics.
    No wonder you are rattled. :D

Sinn Féin TDs Louise O’Reilly and Darren O’Rourke have called for Ireland’s pharmaceutical sector to be fully utilised to produce COVID-19 testing kits and materials now.

Their comments come as a global shortage of extraction material used in the testing process is resulting in significant delays and limitations on testing here.

Speaking this evening, Deputy O'Reilly said;

ʺIn recent days it has become evident that a lack of reagent used in the COVID-19 testing process, has led to a significant delay for patients receiving test results, and a significantly lower number of people being tested each day, than was previously planned.

ʺDespite previously setting a target of 15,000 tests per day, only about 10% of that is now being realised here.

ʺThere is an international shortage of extraction material used in the testing process, causing significant disruption to testing for COVID-19 across the globe, including here in Ireland.

ʺAs the COVID-19 crisis grows day on day, the international demand on this material is only going to increase, putting significant pressure on the testing regime here.

ʺDr Cillian de Gascun has said that the extraction material, which is used to extract the viral RNA in the testing process, is proprietary meaning strict patent laws govern who can and cannot manufacture it. The lack of it, is now causing delays here."

Teachta O'Rourke said;

ʺThe government need to urgently engage with pharmaceutical companies that are located in Ireland, with a view to developing test kits for use here domestically, as the international market clearly cannot meet the demand required. All options, including the compulsory licensing of intellectual property, should be considered in an effort to maximise production.

ʺIreland has a world-renowned and long-established pharmaceutical sector, with the top 10 pharmaceutical companies operating here, and this needs to be utilised fully.

ʺWe have thousands of highly skilled workers in this sector, and there is no reason we shouldn’t be able to manufacture COVID-19 testing kits and materials here.

ʺAbbott Laboratories have announced a rapid COVID-19 test which they intend to roll out in the United States. Abbott employs 3,000 people here in Ireland, across 9 sites, and the government need to engage with this company to see if production and supply of these new tests can begin here too.

ʺWe cannot sit by and hope the international market deliver the materials needed at some stage in the future. We need domestic production of COVID-19 tests and materials now."

The above is from SF’s website. The level of ignorance as to how the pharma industry works is astounding in that passage.

What is wrong with asking this:

Abbott employs 3,000 people here in Ireland, across 9 sites, and the government need to engage with this company to see if production and supply of these new tests can begin here too.

markodaly wrote: »
    Ah, still stuck in the era of megaphone politics.
    No wonder you are rattled. :D

Rattled?

We know FG arrogance wants others to stay silent and be beholding to them.

I don't think that is healthy. Every politician elected should speak and speak loudly if they see something that needs addressing.

Sorry if that discommodes you

Yes. Even if they are wrong.

If you feel something is important...speak up.

LOL, so O'Reilly should have said what she said, even though she is wrong. :p

You are the gift that keeps on giving Francie. :pac::D

Have you been under a rock lately? There is a lot of fear and anxiety around there. The last thing we want now, is some idiot politician getting up and spreading nonsense, fear and falsehoods but I guess that is A.OK from you are they are just doing their job.

#Draintheswamp
    #SFLovesTrump
    #Whocaresforfacts

Am I doing this correctly?

Perhaps we should give Anti-Vaxers equal airtime to doctors and health professionals.. after all 'If you feel something is important...speak up' :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Abbott employs 3,000 people here in Ireland, across 9 sites, and the government need to engage with this company to see if production and supply of these new tests can begin here too.

So for example an Abbott owned plant in Cavan that makes milk powder for infant formula should be forced to making test kits which they legally cannot make and are outside their expertise?

Sinn Fein's rhetoric makes for great stories to be shared by people with low intelligence on Facebook. Here the real world they are showing themselves to be totally bat**** crazily out of touch.

markodaly wrote: »
    LOL, so O'Reilly should have said what she said, even though she is wrong. :p

You are the gift that keeps on giving Francie. :pac::D

Have you been under a rock lately? There is a lot of fear and anxiety around there. The last thing we want now, is some idiot politician getting up and spreading nonsense, fear and falsehoods but I guess that is A.OK from you are they are just doing their job.

#Draintheswamp
    #SFLovesTrump
    #Whocaresforfacts

Am I doing this correctly?

Perhaps we should give Anti-Vaxers equal airtime to doctors and health professionals.. after all 'If you feel something is important...speak up' :D:D:D:D

FFS would you ever read what I said Mark? For once?

A TD should never be afraid to speak up. Even if what they say is wrong.

That is not saying LoR is wrong, that remains to be seen...unless you have a comprehension issue.

Spreading lies to cover ineptitude and lapses is not good either mark, by the way. A whole day today of the HSE trying to win back confidence in it's testing and an apology to those fearful and waiting for results and tests.

Do you have reading comprehension difficulties?
    ʺDr Cillian de Gascun has said that the extraction material, which is used to extract the viral RNA in the testing process, is proprietary meaning strict patent laws govern who can and cannot manufacture it. The lack of it, is now causing delays here."

Ah, sure maybe some 'Good' Republican can make a batch or two of this in some milk drums for us. We won't ask any questions... :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

More ignorance on there behalf , Abbott can employ 10000 in Ireland but if the plants don’t make test kits Then it’s pointless .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

What I linked to is an overall process. That takes about 12 years. Within that process is the building or retrofitting of a facility to produce the material. This can take years depending how complicated the process is:

https://www.fda.gov/media/92827/download

• Advertisement

So for example an Abbott owned plant in Cavan that makes milk powder for infant formula should be forced to making test kits which they legally cannot make and are outside their expertise?

Sinn Fein's rhetoric makes for great stories to be shared by people with low intelligence on Facebook. Here the real world they are showing themselves to be totally bat**** crazily out of touch.

Maybe when this crisis is over we can get Pharma to ramp up production of houses.... makes as much sense as O'Reilly's last statement.

'Forced' now is it?

Jesus the invention around this story is fabulous. What next..lab assistants at gunpoint. :)

And then you guys look down your noses at what happens on FB and Twitter. :)

Good night, off to watch Netflix here...some more fiction and invention.

A TD should never be afraid to speak up. Even if what they say is wrong.

That is not saying LoR is wrong, that remains to be seen...unless you have a comprehension issue.

She is not only wrong, but she is also a danger to the public. Imagine her as minister for health. Ireland dogged a bullet right there.

'Forced' now is it?

Jesus the invention around this story is fabulous. What next..lab assistants at gunpoint. :)

Tell us Francie, how can we ramp up production of testing kits if we don't have enough extraction material?

If the extraction material is proprietary, how do we make more of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,945 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

But the IT article contradicts what you say. Production can clearly be ramped up in some facilities.

I don't doubt you work in a plant, but there are all levels of employees. So without anything concrete your end I will stick with what facts about this I can find.

My god lads and lassies, if you don't expect your politicians to speak up in a crisis (even if they are profoundly wrong) what kind of servile whipping dogs are you?

Try to imagine what it would be like when FG realise their goal of being in opposition...would Leo be 'mouthing off' everytime he called for something?

What facts have you found? To be honest, I can’t see any.

Maybe you would set out these facts from reliable scientific journals or published pharmaceutical information to educate us all. Of course you could be relying for facts from a newspaper that told us Gerry Adams was in the IRA, and you wouldn’t do that, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

'Forced' now is it?

Good to see you off with your tail between your legs :p.

According to Facebook 5G caused the whole thing so Sinn Fein should be looking to knee c.. um find and bring to justice who ever started that.

Good to see you off with your tail between your legs :p.

According to Facebook 5G caused the whole thing so Sinn Fein should be looking to knee c.. um find and bring to justice who ever started that.

5G causes Covid-19. FACT! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

This is f*cking embarrassing all round lads. Francie clearly doesn't have much of a clue about how the pharma industry (or really any production environment) works, but the desperate circle jerk to shut him down by throwing poorly thought out objections and half truths is as bad.

I really think the IDA and IBEC and the Irish Medicines board (HPRA) should be calling the likes of her out on this .

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    This is f*cking embarrassing all round lads. Francie clearly doesn't have much of a clue about how the pharma industry (or really any production environment) works, but the desperate circle jerk to shut him down by throwing poorly thought out objections and half truths is as bad.
    I see a lot of facts in the arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The thread is a disaster to be honest, it’s similar to the other SF thread and I got out of that

At this stage it really is a display of the great saying

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I see a lot of facts in the arguments.

I hate to be so flippant, but you would.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The thread is a disaster to be honest, it’s similar to the other SF thread and I got out of that

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

More akin to two stupid people managing to collectively lower eachother to a new sub level, but the correct sentiment.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I hate to be so flippant, but you would.

More akin to two stupid people managing to collectively lower eachother to a new sub level, but the correct sentiment.
    Yes I would because I along with others who work in pharma have been arguing with facts not blindly defending someone who is loudmouth spoofer who is spouting populist ****e to the masses .
    A lot of us who work in pharma and healthcare are under a lot of pressure at work and at home during this pandemic and it makes my blood boil to watch a silly **** like that spreading misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I have logged in at the end of the night most times this week or so, and almost every night, the last few posts are you saying you're out of here, something to do with a bombshell, and you're leaving.

Also almost always referring to stupid people and never really have anything to say...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

One tings for sure.

SF clearly haven’t vanished. Why else would there be so many here still rattled by them and ranting against them?
    Not sure who you’re trying to convince tbh. Same thing backfired spectacularly in the election.

Have yis learned nothing? Apparently you haven’t.

‘ Exclusion of SF from government formation by FF/FG can't be questioned because the answer would be their admission that the working class must be excluded from political representation.
    There is no other reason.’

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Completely irrelevant to us.

If you are minded to educate yourself on medicine/treatments approval, then this is the site

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en

And specifically......

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-medicines-regulatory-information

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

If we turned this around and it was FG got the largest share of the vote but FF/SF were excluding them from forming a government ....

Can you imagine the heads here? They’d be apoplectic. Democracy is being overturned!

And they’d be right.

But it’s only happening to SF so it’s grand.

Seriously? What's wrong with it?

That ridiculous statement is premised on the idea that the government isn't in touch with Abbot......do SF really believe that the DoH, HPRA etc are not in constant communication with these companies?

Also, they could employ 300,000 or 3,000,000 and still not be able to make the test kits or accelerate production for myriad reasons.

Once again, SF pushing a narrative that suggests complicated and complex problems have simple solutions.

SF want more kits, more ventilators, more PPE? Can they explain what is not being done that could reasonably be done to achieve those objectives? For once, answer the "how" question - how should it be done?

Pity we can't manufacture these items the way SF manufacture their outrage, we'd be drowning in sanitiser, have ventilators in every household, kits would be as widely available as lollipops and PPE would be all the rage in fashion 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Suckit wrote: »
    I have logged in at the end of the night most times this week or so, and almost every night, the last few posts are you saying you're out of here, something to do with a bombshell, and you're leaving.

Also almost always referring to stupid people and never really have anything to say...

The saying is “ on that bombshell good night”

• Advertisement

'Forced' now is it?

I know the reflexive response of SF is to associate "force" with gun, but I think the suggestion was an allusion to SF's generally held position that the economy and economic activity can somehow be centrally planned and directed.

It can, but then you end up looking like Venezuela, Bolivia etc

Command economies simply don't work, except for those in power ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement