Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

blanch152 wrote: »
    Funny how two Prime Ministers end up in a hospital.....one helping out in a time or need, the other because he didn't take the thing seriously.

Glad we have Leo as our one.

Leo is doing a great job admittedly, but so was Boris before he was hospitalised. Remember that the PM only acts upon his best advice, and in the case of Covid-19, Boris takes the advice from his Chief scientific advisor, namely Sir Patrick (herd immunity) Vallance.

By the way, isn't Mary Lou out sick, or is she back?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I guess what you are trying to deny here is that many suspect/believe that FG are using bots to say noice things about FGers.

Ála Leo's wishes:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-suggested-creating-anonymous-accounts-online-to-make-positive-comments-on-news-37275799.html

Yes, yes, yes, many suspect and believe the earth is flat, the moon landings were faked, Elvis is alive, the Illuminati exist, the Lizard People move among us, McDonald is not beholden to anyone etc etc etc

I suspect and believe lots of thngs, but suspicion and belief are just that - and they certanly aren't evidence of anything, at least not in the rational world.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes, yes, yes, many suspect and believe the earth is flat, the moon landings were faked, Elvis is alive, the Illuminati exist, the Lizard People move among us, McDonald is not beholden to anyone etc etc etc

I suspect and believe lots of thngs, but suspicion and belief are just that - and they certanly aren't evidence of anything, at least not in the rational world.

Must remember this defence when certain things are being alleged about others. ;)

Must remember this defence when certain things are being alleged about others. ;)

Hey look, its the intergooglewebs - you're entitled to believe and suspect what you want, likewise so am I.

But certain things are pretty factual - like 24.53% is not a majority, likewise 37/160 is not more than half.......and €22 billion is a lot of money to borrow, because while SF might believe and suspect magic money trees exist, they really don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

What makes you think I was laughing?

I am unapologetic about my post count. Quite proud of it.

Just thinking here after a report on Morning Ireland.

There will be one interesting aspect to the incoming and now IMO imminent and necessary election: no Minister Of Health or his civilian defenders can ever again say that nothing can be done about the HSE.

Properly tasked and resourced it is something to be proud of.
    whats the cost though? All the free gaff money is will be gone and we will have a substantial debt , the measures brought and carried out by FG ensured with had the credit to borrow and now the many like me who work between 60-80 hours a week will be creamed in tax just when we thought we might see a bit of relief coming on that .

• Advertisement

Hey look, its the intergooglewebs - you're entitled to believe and suspect what you want, likewise so am I.

Off you go then. Believe Sultan...believe! :)

whats the cost though? All the free gaff money is will be gone and we will have a substantial debt , the measures brought and carried out by FG ensured with had the credit to borrow and now the many like me who work between 60-80 hours a week will be creamed in tax just when we thought we might see a bit of relief coming on that .

Who was giving out all these 'free gaffs'?

Whose system was it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

There will be one interesting aspect to the incoming and now IMO imminent and necessary election: no Minister Of Health or his civilian defenders can ever again say that nothing can be done about the HSE.

Tasking and resourcing something in a time of emergency is different to tasking and resourcing it in normal times. You have massive armies during times of war but they get scaled-down during peace time. Same will happen here. How you manage the HSE during the worst pandemic crisis since 1917 is different for obvious reasons to how we would do it otherwise. During normal times the DoH and the HSE were black pit money holes that needed reform not more money from the tax payer.

Townton wrote: »
    Tasking and resourcing something in a time of emergency is different to tasking and resourcing it in normal times. You have massive armies during times of war but they get scaled-down during peace time. Same will happen here. How you manage the HSE during the worst pandemic crisis since 1917 is different for obvious reasons to how we would do it otherwise. During normal times the DoH and the HSE were black pit money holes that needed reform not more money from the tax payer.

Yes...but the 'nothing can be done' merchants...or worse, the 'he/she/insert political party here - is doing their best' merchants are silenced.
    There are plenty of things to be 'done'. Putting the public front and centre and properly resourcing the front line staff and services would be an efficient start.

Yes...but the 'nothing can be done' merchants...or worse, the 'he/she/insert political party here - is doing their best' merchants are silenced.
    There are plenty of things to be 'done'. Putting the public front and centre and properly resourcing the front line staff and services would be an efficient start.

How?

And define "properly resourcing"?

Can you elaborate on how we can transition to a more patient-centred public health service?

What do you see as the key governance issues that need to be overcome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

What a strange thing to be proud of...

How?

And define "properly resourcing"?

Can you elaborate on how we can transition to a more patient-centred public health service?

What do you see as the key governance issues that need to be overcome?

No...I'm not going to tell you something you will just handwave away for the sake of it..or the sake of those who have no interest in changing the status quo.

Just take it from me...we, who have always said, that there is a better way, won't be listening to the usual excuses for failure in the run up to a new government.
    Why? Because those excuses are no longer tenable.

They are not , yes you can do all of the above if you have the SF money tree.You side step every point anyone makes.

They are not , yes you can do all of the above if you have the SF money tree.You side step every point anyone makes.

'They are not'....???? What?

'They are not'....???? What?
    Silenced

No...I'm not going to tell you something you will just handwave away for the sake of it..or the sake of those who have no interest in changing the status quo.

Just take it from me...we, who have always said, that there is a better way, won't be listening to the usual excuses for failure in the run up to a new government.

Feel free to be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Feel free to be specific.

Reduce taxes and increase spending like, duh. Get de rich to pay for it.

Silenced

No doubt they will keep on making excuses, but as I said, they will be untenable and effectively silenced by events.

Changes can be made if the will is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That issue of cost is the point.

We have had posters on here claiming that the current policies by the government are implementing Sinn Fein election policy, but those limited three-month policies in an emergency have created an annual €22 billion hole in the government finances.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/central-bank-warns-of-22bn-hole-in-public-finances-from-coronavirus-crisis-1.4219419

Implemented for a year, they would cost €88bn. When a lot of us said that implementing Sinn Fein style budgetary policies would wreck the economy and the public finances, we didn't expect to be proven correct in this way.

A lot of them will be quickly reversed once this is over.

Ok then let's start with a simlpe one - "clinical managers" - yeh or nay. Would more of them be a good idea or a bad idea?

Because, really the idea that the most power-centralising populist party in the country is going to devolve the power required to make a patient-centred health service a reality (or anything close to a reality) is, putting it mildly, quite fanciful.

If anything SF will make it a political-centred health service.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    That issue of cost is the point.

We have had posters on here claiming that the current policies by the government are implementing Sinn Fein election policy, but those limited three-month policies in an emergency have created an annual €22 billion hole in the government finances.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/central-bank-warns-of-22bn-hole-in-public-finances-from-coronavirus-crisis-1.4219419

Implemented for a year, they would cost €88bn. When a lot of us said that implementing Sinn Fein style budgetary policies would wreck the economy and the public finances, we didn't expect to be proven correct in this way.

A lot of them will be quickly reversed once this is over.

Dis-ingenuous reaction.
    There are a huge amount of those costs that are specific to a pandemic.

What is clearly evident is that our health service can be better resourced and the people on the front line better motivated. That doesn't always come down to 'money'.
    'Priorities' is the operative word here. And it begins with valuing people - people on the front line. (Looking at you Simon Harris in particular.)

No doubt they will keep on making excuses, but as I said, they will be untenable and effectively silenced by events.

We've wrecked our economy, are facing back into austerity and cuts all over again and your take is that people will want this to level of crisis spending to become the norm?

You haven't a clue.

Ballso wrote: »
    We've wrecked our economy, are facing back into austerity and cuts all over again and your take is that people will want this to level of crisis spending to become the norm?

You haven't a clue.

Where did I say that Ballso? You are running off with the ball in a solo run, again.

One things for sure, the upcoming economic disaster will be fertile ground for the Sinn Fein serial moaner to complain and obstruct and object while others get on with fixing things.

Oh joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

How are you finding having the shop closed, Francie? Run a small business myself, and bored out of my bin I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

And .. bit

Am I hearing something?
    Sounds like a fly buzzing next to my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Francie laughing at people with so little going on that they appear here everyday...

How many posts are you up to now Francie? :D

As I said, self isolation for most of us is a chore, for others its par of the course :D

Easy one for you.....

Can you point to one large scale change project that an SF politician has overseen in NI that came in either on or under budget or on time (or early)?

If they have a track record of deilvering the type of change you reckon they are capable of delivering, then it should be no bother pointing out some examples?

However, why do I think there will be a deflection? (My money is a bit of whataboutery and the Children's Hospital)

How are you finding having the shop closed, Francie? Run a small business myself, and bored out of my bin I must admit.

Most of my biz is online...but it has almost dried up anyway.

Not a bit bored, getting a proper garden in this year because I have time.

• Advertisement

Easy one for you.....

Can you point to one large scale change project that an SF politician has overseen in NI that came in either on or under budget or on time (or early)?

If they have a track record of deilvering the type of change you reckon they are capable of delivering, then it should be no bother pointing out some examples?

However, why do I think there will be a deflection? (My money is a bit of whataboutery and the Children's Hospital)

Sultan...I don't know whether they can deliver or not. I voted for them for the first time and wanted them a 'part' of government not in sole power.

I am sick of being lied to by the power swap party's. FG's abject failure...abject! to deliver change after the promises of 2011 being the final straw.

Get off the pot boys and girls, you have been found out. Change is possible if the will is there and it has taken a pandemic to show us. The people will knuckle down and do what is best, if it is shown that it is for the best.
    The spirit hasn't been broken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement