Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seriously, that's you example of a "large scale change project" - what was the budget and the outturn?

What you're saying is because they got elected, they can run a health service :D

I got elected as a student rep, doesn't mean I can run a university!!

Btw, if you want an example of SF/NI ineptness check out the Belfast/Bangor rail line upgrade - we did it as a case study when I was doing a PPMO qual - late, 100% over budget and increased journey times :D

The Republic is in no way perfect, but the idea SF can't make it unimaginably worse is beyond parody - and here they won't have Westminster to bail them out.

Tell you what.
    You set your criteria for an incoming government and I will set mine.

Why are you trying to impose criteria on me...what kind of dictatorial nonsense is that?

If they are reasons to give SF a go then we are screwed.
    I hate banks before the ordinary person ( whoever they are) but I wouldn't put ML on the government benches in a fit.
    How caring where then when people where getting knee capped..
    Francie i expected better reasoning for you. Time for you to swap allegiance and give the greens a vote :D
    After all Eamon is caring and has served his time in opposition and government.

And he likes fluffy bunnies :D:D

Eamonn ryan also proposed growing lettuce to solve the cv-19 crisis

Quite why people think they are more suited to run the country than the healy-raes is beyond me :pac:

Jesus id be mortified if i was a member of green party to have that gowl as a leader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Eamonn ryan also proposed growing lettuce to solve the cv-19 crisis

Quite why people think they are more suited to run the country than the healy-raes is beyond me :pac:

Jesus id be mortified if i was a member of green party to have that gowl as a leader

You forgot the wolves!

You forgot the wolves!

Aye....he taught the wolves werent going to kill sheep....god bless him,perhaps he also smokes copious amounts of green too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Hmm....i said its laughable for anyone supporting present government to critise anyone on capital expenditure....given the way the hospideal is gone

It started at 600 million....how much ove budget and time is it gone to now??

Your right to critise SF,but you dont appear to have a leg to stand on,without being a hypicrite (which your entitled to be)

Ok, so again, still no example of SF delivering any kind of project of scale?

NCH will probably be about 2 to 2.5 times over budget, but where's the evidence that if SF were in charge it wouldn't be 4 or 5 times over budget?

Plenty of evidence they can't deliver these projects.....
    Key findings from the report include:
    -The A5 upgrade, linking counties Londonderry and Tyrone, has a £300m overspend and has been overrun by 10 years.

-The Regional Children's Hospital has a £130m overspend and has overrun by five years.

-The cost of building UU's new Belfast campus is now expected to be £363.9m - more than £100m over budget. The European Investment Bank (EIB) has already withdrawn a £150m loan because of project delays.

-The new Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) stadium at Casement Park in west Belfast has an overspend of £33m. It has still not started three years after the expected completion date.

-The critical care centre at the Royal Victoria Hospital is over budget by £57m and has over run by eight years.

-The new maternity hospital in Belfast is six years overdue and is £17m over budget.

• Advertisement

Tell you what.
    You set your criteria for an incoming government and I will set mine.

Why are you trying to impose criteria on me...what kind of dictatorial nonsense is that?

Not at all, I asked a question, you chose to try and answer it - maybe take your own advice and scroll on by if you can't answer something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭standardg60

Sultan...I don't know whether they can deliver or not. I voted for them for the first time and wanted them a 'part' of government not in sole power.

I am sick of being lied to by the power swap party's. FG's abject failure...abject! to deliver change after the promises of 2011 being the final straw.

Get off the pot boys and girls, you have been found out. Change is possible if the will is there and it has taken a pandemic to show us. The people will knuckle down and do what is best, if it is shown that it is for the best.
    The spirit hasn't been broken.

If 2011 was the final straw then why didn't you vote SF in 2016?
    They were spouting the same populist nonsense then.
    The reason SF are quiet now is because no one is now interested in the frivolous problems they were promising to fix.
    The homelessness crisis that the hand ringers were concerned about has been forgotten because the hand ringers now have something to be concerned about which was always far more important to them..themselves.
    The trolley crisis has evaporated because the people who clogged up the hospitals are now clogging up the covid 19 test centres, and when they eventually get their negative results they'll clog them up again because they may have caught it in the meantime.

NCH will probably be about 2 to 2.5 times over budget, but where's the evidence that if SF were in charge it wouldn't be 4 or 5 times over budget?

To best my knowledge BAM think its going to.cost 2.8 billion by time.its kitted out...your 2 to 2.5 times over budget is along long way short (quite possibly gone over this cost already??)

Despite being a.shower of baxtards to get paid off....im also good mates with many people working in office there (they've spent 150K on pr to cover their arses in case it blows up,and they struggle to get more contracts)

Will the NCH even get finished after this virus....maybe include a few uncalibrated graphs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

They have delivered equal rights and a share of the power in northern Ireland and have satisfied those they represented enough to be the still by far and away the most popular party. That is good enough for me if you are looking for credentials as to their fitness.
    They have also IMO excelled themselves in the duty of being an opposition party.

That is more than enough for them to qualify for a vote. And I make no apology for that.
    They are long way removed from the party that delivered equal rights in the north Francie .

To best my knowledge BAM think its going to.cost 2.8 billion by time.its kitted out...your 2 to 2.5 times over budget is along long way short (quite possibly gone over this cost already??)

Despite being a.shower of baxtards to get paid off....im also good mates with many people working in office there (they've spent 150K on pr to cover their arses in case it blows up,and they struggle to get more contracts)

Will the NCH even get finished after this virus

Ok, I think we can safely say there no examples of SF successfully delivering major change projects. I'll let you take forward any discussion you want on the NCH debacle.

• Advertisement

Ok, I think we can safely say there no examples of SF successfully delivering major change projects. I'll let you take forward any discussion you want on the NCH debacle.

Personally anyway i think its hilarious lads cheerleading giving BAM a blank cheque.to critise anyone

Somehow,like welfare rates,this is SF fault dispite never being in government

Boys in all.fairness FG handed BAM a blank cheque to build.the most expensive hospideal in the world (18 months behind scedule,before all this virus shìte too)

This is part of the problem though. Ireland does need that hospital, and presumably no one wants to see the State cut corners on building it.

I'd rather see it built on the M50 etc but what the **** do I know about building hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

They have delivered equal rights and a share of the power in northern Ireland and have satisfied those they represented enough to be the still by far and away the most popular party. That is good enough for me if you are looking for credentials as to their fitness.
    They have also IMO excelled themselves in the duty of being an opposition party.

That is more than enough for them to qualify for a vote. And I make no apology for that.
    They are long way removed from the party that delivered equal rights in the north Francie .

If 2011 was the final straw then why didn't you vote SF in 2016?
    They were spouting the same populist nonsense then.
    The reason SF are quiet now is because no one is now interested in the frivolous problems they were promising to fix.
    The homelessness crisis that the hand ringers were concerned about has been forgotten because the hand ringers now have something to be concerned about which was always far more important to them..themselves.
    The trolley crisis has evaporated because the people who clogged up the hospitals are now clogging up the covid 19 test centres, and when they eventually get their negative results they'll clog them up again because they may have caught it in the meantime.

Your looking down your nose (reminisccent of a party led by Leo) view of the trolley crisis was blown out of the water by a doctor last night on the Tonight Show. Look it up...very concerning if you are concerned about real people that they are not getting help for issues due to fears of the virus and taking up the time of GP's and hospitals.
    I fully agree that a good share were people who were there, probably shouldn't have been. That was the system's fault...and who was running the system?

As to why I didn't vote for SF in 2016...what swung me was Enda saying it would take time and a very good performance locally by Heather Humphreys...come 2020, I could let that sway me, even.

I don't agree. I think they were right to walk out of the Executive over foot dragging by the DUP. And they delivered quite a bit as a result of that even though they could not have foreseen the duplicity of May's government giving the DUP a hidey hole in Westminster. When the Tory's were done with the DUP they weren't long coming to the table and the Tory SoS wasn't afraid to blame the DUP as the 'blockage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The current Government are throwing all the reserve money and more towards those who need it. It has been a great move and sorted out a lot of worry and angst for those who were laid off or lost their jobs.

When the next election comes around there will be nothing left in the coffers, so SF, if they have the same support will have no spare money to play with.

Anyway, I doubt CHANGE will be on anyone's agenda for a long while to come. Survival will come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ya ya ya. We believe you

I don't agree. I think they were right to walk out of the Executive over foot dragging by the DUP. And they delivered quite a bit as a result of that even though they could not have foreseen the duplicity of May's government giving the DUP a hidey hole in Westminster. When the Tory's were done with the DUP they weren't long coming to the table and the Tory SoS wasn't afraid to blame the DUP as the 'blockage'.

Can't agree. NI is going through another, hidden, public health crisis (one of the highest rates of suicide in the world). The right thing to do would be to lead through it, not walk away.

SF took the easy option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

That was the system's fault...and who was running the system?

Managers? Chiefs?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Managers? Chiefs?

Well you can stop the buck where you want. The government are ultimately responsible for the systems.
    You want to make SF responsible for every system in the north, even though overarching control of them rest with Westminster but you wish to have a cutoff point in the south to protect...guess who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

That's one of the worst arguments every.are we to forever say that there's no reason to charge as there's no evidence that someone will do better? If that was the line of thinking men wouldn't have left their caves. FG fanboys are cringe inducing on this site. FG and overspending are synonymous. If it wasn't for the big 4 steering them for everything resembling a decision they'd stuggling to tie their laces.

Well you can stop the buck where you want. The government are ultimately responsible for the systems.
    You want to make SF responsible for every system in the north, even though overarching control of them rest with Westminster but you wish to have a cutoff point in the south to protect...guess who?
    Don't you be mentioning protection rackets,its best you don't ho there :D

It was ultimately Westminster that brought the various equalities you spoke of earlier as SF achievements, to the north not Sinn Féin

I believe in Democracy, so if SF want a mandate for their particular philosophy, they'll need 50% of the seats and to un persuade human nature of its desire for more and more and more aka incentive
    Good luck with that!

Don't you be mentioning protection rackets,its best you don't ho there :D

It was ultimately Westminster that brought the various equalities you spoke of earlier as SF achievements, to the north not Sinn Féin

I believe in Democracy, so if SF want a mandate for their particular philosophy, they'll need 50% of the seats and to un persuade human nature of its desire for more and more and more aka incentive
    Good luck with that!

FF/FG are basically the same party. Even they don't bother hiding it now in their quest to hold onto to control of the power.

My theory is they had fallen into a cozy swapping of the power, one knew that it was only a matter of time before the other got in, and on and on it went. And we got little variation in programmes for government. I speak as one who fell for it.

Now they are being challenged and more or less merging to protect that control.

No party will likely get over 50% of the vote here.

What we can hope for is that our coalitions cater for all the people and not just some. And that a different ideology in government will pay attention to areas where the power swap party's were too lazy to intervene or too invested in the rot continuing.
    Even the threat of SF getting into power has brought change. That is a good thing IMO.

If you want to keep voting for the same, there isn't much can be done about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    That's one of the worst arguments every.are we to forever say that there's no reason to charge as there's no evidence that someone will do better? If that was the line of thinking men wouldn't have left their caves. FG fanboys are cringe inducing on this site. FG and overspending are synonymous. If it wasn't for the big 4 steering them for everything resembling a decision they'd stuggling to tie their laces.

Well yes, if the evidence suggests that things will get much worse if we take an alternative path, then why would we change?

Is there a stand-alone Irish Language Act yet?

Will there ever be?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Is there a stand-alone Irish Language Act yet?

Will there ever be?

You would be the first tapping on your keyboard if they didn't compromise and here you are tapping furiously because they did.

Any change in northern Ireland came slow and painfully. Maintaining position as the people's choice is the litmus test imo. And SF have passed that test in spades.

It's still a divided society because partition's goal was to do just that..divide along ethnic lines. And it succeeded in spades.
    Have you ever welcomed what was achieved for those who identify as Irish there?
    I don't think you have on here anyhow.
    Next time the Dubs are playing a team made up of those who identify as Irish ask the supporters from the other team what they think of what has been achieved for them. Ask them about how they were treated just trying to play the game you cherish to get just a small flavour of what it was like to be a second class citizen.
    In other words, get in touch with your empathy, because I think you are totally devoid of it, unless it is to emphatise with selective victims of partition.

The reality is, to varying degrees, we are all victims of partition.

If you want to keep voting for the same, there isn't much can be done about that.

I actually voted for FG,FF,Soc Dem and green
    They got 4 out of the 5 seats in my constituency, so I'm not complaining
    Democracy in action as always
    I should imagine as always arising out of the national picture a representative majority administration and opposition will rise,not one extreme or the other
    Happy enough with that ,positive, no moaning to be honest:)

You would be the first tapping on your keyboard if they didn't compromise and here you are tapping furiously because they did.

Any change in northern Ireland came slow and painfully. Maintaining position as the people's choice is the litmus test imo. And SF have passed that test in spades.

It's still a divided society because partition's goal was to do just that..divide along ethnic lines. And it succeeded in spades.
    Have you ever welcomed what was achieved for those who identify as Irish there?
    I don't think you have on here anyhow.
    Next time the Dubs are playing a team made up of those who identify as Irish ask the supporters from the other team what they think of what has been achieved for them. Ask them about how they were treated just trying to play the game you cherish to get just a small flavour of what it was like to be a second class citizen.
    In other words, get in touch with your empathy, because I think you are totally devoid of it, unless it is to emphatise with selective victims of partition.

The reality is, to varying degrees, we are all victims of partition.

So there is no Irish Language Act and the nurses doing without their pay rise did so in vain. Ah well.

I actually voted for FG,FF,Soc Dem and green
    They got 4 out of the 5 seats in my constituency, so I'm not complaining
    Democracy in action as always
    I should imagine as always arising out of the national picture a representative majority administration and opposition will rise,not one extreme or the other
    Happy enough with that ,positive, no moaning to be honest:)

Not sure what your point is.
    I am a democrat, I will abide by what is done democratically. I may not agree with it though and will agitate...hurl from a ditch...moan...shout in the press (whatever dafuq that means) and complain. I will also uphold my right as a democrat to hold government to account and to arbitrate for change if they are failing at their job, which is to create a fair and inclusive society for everyone.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    So there is no Irish Language Act and the nurses doing without their pay rise did so in vain. Ah well.

Oh you really dealt with the point so well there blanch. You are everything that's wrong with the power swap party's. You want an Ireland for some, not for all.
    And you'll pretend that you favour the Greens...i.e. an ideological coward.

I voted for SF and for this round of elections I remain proud of that vote and what it stands for. The quest for an Ireland for us all.
    What the pandemic has proved is that we can all work for that (or the vast majority can) given the chance. Sad that it has taken that. And uplifting that FF/FG cannot so far railroad others into maintaining their cynical attempt to take advantage of the pandemic.
    Sure, they might convince the Lowry's etc to bolster them...but in the medium term what is that going to achieve? I'd be surprised if FG and FF backbenchers will allow tbh. It's the ultimate kiss of death from politicians looking out for their short term careers. (Michael and Leo to name two)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement