Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeah, still not got a scooby-doo what you're driving at, but as you seem happy in yourself you should just continue.

I don't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    Don't blame me for Leo and Harris' boo boo. As far as I know most of the issue is 3/4 length gowns . If they can source midget nurses and doctors it might be grand.

I think Finland just discovered that all 10 million masks from China were defective, understand that is all Simon Harris’ fault as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Ireland is one of the biggest manufacturers or ventilators internationally. Metronic has it's global headquarters here and the plant in Galway manufacturers them.

How many do they manufacture weekly/monthly/annually?

No, I'm not for one minute suggesting we take the opinion of the of the WHO ahead of Smurgen.......don't be ridiculous!!

I'm suggesting we take the opinion of Executive Director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Programme ahead of Smurgen's.
    Ballso wrote: »
    He ironically thinks we should weight the opinion of a "SF rep" equally with the head of the WHO.

Like I was saying earlier, delusional.

When did Smurgen become a SF rep?

I thought only DavyCc and maccored held that elevated status?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I don't believe you.

Nope, genuinely mystified.

Dr Ryan is Executive Director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Programme. He's decades of experience dealing with pandemics. The quote was from his recent interview that went viral.

I posted to rebut the idea that in times like this there's time for full due diligence in procurement.

I doubt there is anyone in SF is fit to tie his shoe laces, but he's talking about moving, acting with a purpose - SF are just adding to the noise.

If somehow you think that his advice represents a vindication of SF calling for "medical device companies" to make reagent, then I'd suggest you've drinking too much of whatever it is some SF-led, medical device company has cooked up.

• Advertisement

Nope, genuinely mystified.

Dr Ryan is Executive Director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Programme. He's decades of experience dealing with pandemics. The quote was from his recent interview that went viral.

I posted to rebut the idea that in times like this there's time for full due diligence in procurement.

I doubt there is anyone in SF is fit to tie his shoe laces, but he's talking about moving, acting with a purpose - SF are just adding to the noise.

If somehow you think that his advice represents a vindication of SF calling for "medical device companies" to make reagent, then I'd suggest you've drinking too much of whatever it is some SF-led, medical device company has cooked up.

Ryan wasn't just talking about procurement, he was talking generally about responses to the crisis and 'emergency management.

It may have escaped your attention but SF are part of the Opposition and have a duty to over-sight, criticism and suggestion.

They need to speak, 'without fear of making a mistake' too.

But not in the Sultan's selective view, which protects one wing of the parliament. If the opposition makes a mistake in Sultan's view then they are to be derided and demeaned.
    In other words, Sultan is being hypocritical.
    Perhaps Sultan thinks the Opposition should be silent in admiration of their masters?

I think we can see from SF's "step up" call and Tully's statement yesterday just how much SF don't know about the pharmaceutical industry.

Doubtless they'd have accepted any colouredy water waved in front of them :D

The SF line on this is genuinely bizarre. it's a step above homeopathy.

I know of one production line in Ireland that took 5 years to get approval on from day 1 to first product being produced. 5 years. The checks and balances are incredibly onerous.

Sure, some timelines can be speeded up, but there is still a minimum time needed to get these systems operational.

Ryan wasn't just talking about procurement, he was talking generally about responses to the crisis and 'emergency management.

It may have escaped your attention but SF are part of the Opposition and have a duty to over-sight, criticism and suggestion.

But not in the Sultan's selective view, which protects one wing of the parliament. If the opposition makes a mistake in Sultan's view then they are to be derided and demeaned.
    Perhaps Sultan thinks the Opposition should be silent in admiration of their masters?

Yes SF need to speak, but on nearly every occasion they remind me of someone who only opens his mouth to prove he is a fool.

One of the more sobering aspects of the outbreak in the UK is the effect that Brexit had on the outbreak. Not only did the Johnson rush to exit by January 31st distract, but the failure to attend meetings of health officials and Ministers in the following weeks only exacerbated the problem. There is no doubt that had the UK participated in those meetings and been a part of the EU, then Cheltenham would have been postponed and the effect on this country would have significantly lessened.

Furthermore, this wasn’t a result of Brexit per se but a result of the Brexit pursued by Johnson and I have no doubt that the more cautious pursuit of Brexit by May would not have resulted in those mistakes.

Why is that relevant to this thread? Well, quite a number of the SF supporters on here, cheerleaded the Johnson approach to Brexit. Once again, the short-sighted approach of SF is shown up for the failure it will always be.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes SF need to speak, but on nearly every occasion they remind me of someone who only opens his mouth to prove he is a fool.

I'm sure the forum is shocked you would feel like that.

We know so much about how this state functions because of what they and others have done in opposition.

It's as if no other deputy or rep has never said anything foolish across all political party's to listen to you guys/gals carping.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the forum is shocked you would feel like that.

We know so much about how this state functions because of what they and others have done in opposition.

It's as if no other deputy or rep has never said anything foolish across all political party's to listen to you guys/gals carping.

Are you a Spurs supporter?

Maybe you should get a DVD released on the year SF nearly won the election, or the three greatest years in opposition. You could get a group of mates around to watch them.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Are you a Spurs supporter?

Maybe you should get a DVD released on the year SF nearly won the election, or the three greatest years in opposition. You could get a group of mates around to watch them.

I'm already working on one called The Year FF and FG Stopped Pretending They Were Different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Phoebas wrote: »
    How is Louise O'Reilly going to get a 'full picture' from some Twitter responses?

This makes no sense at all.

It's basically Joe Duffy politics.

Ballso wrote: »
    This seems to pervade the whole organisation. They think their stupid unqualified opinions are just as valid as industry professionals, senior public servants, senior doctors etc.

It's insane. It's irritating enough at the best of times, but sure we live in a democracy and we have to listen to even the dullards. But holy **** does a crisis like this bring the whole thing into stark relief.

SF types are great at spouting $hit, but like we see with Trump when $hit hits Science, then one can see who the Bull$hitters are.

Thank god, Louise O'Reilly is not Minister of Health. SF have a serious lack of talent on their front bench. There are about 3 people there who are capable, the rest just indoctrinated drones.

"The report also noted that Ireland is the fourth largest exporter of medical devices that can be used to treat Covid-19. These include ventilators"

Are you willing to bet that in 17bn worth of sales and with Ireland at the cutting edge of this type of manufacturing that it's not being made here?

I am not sure what your point is.

Are you advocating the Irish state nationalise these companies so all output is kept in-house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

markodaly wrote: »
    SF types are great at spouting $hit, but like we see with Trump when $hit hits Science, then one can see who the Bull$hitters are.

Thank god, Louise O'Reilly is not Minister of Health. SF have a serious lack of talent on their front bench. There are about 3 people there who are capable, the rest just indoctrinated drones.
    But But But one of them wrote a book on housing . If I heard that one more ****ing time during the election I was going to go off my head . Yeah he wrote a book and it’s in the fiction section in Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

But But But one of them wrote a book on housing . If I heard that one more ****ing time during the election I was going to go off my head . Yeah he wrote a book and it’s in the fiction section in Easons.

Alan Shatter wrote a book about riding. I still wouldn't let him near my Daughter.

I don't have a stash but it's not my job.

What do you actually do for a living?

The SF line on this is genuinely bizarre. it's a step above homeopathy.

I know of one production line in Ireland that took 5 years to get approval on from day 1 to first product being produced. 5 years. The checks and balances are incredibly onerous.

Sure, some timelines can be speeded up, but there is still a minimum time needed to get these systems operational.

Likewise, before I was in Regulatory Affairs, I was part of our company's programme management office - even tweaking a line to introduce a change or a modification was a very involved project. I can't even begin to imagine how you would go about stopping an existing line, converting it to do something else, then returning to its original function.

The staff restaurant is available though......maybe SF think we can cook up some reagent there - joking aside, it's probably the only space we have that could be used for that :D

On the plus side, I take heart in SF's ignorance of modern manufacturing......that way when they arrive to seize the means of production, we can tell them it's behind the bike shelters and they'll leave us alone.

Wow that's really some leap to claim Dr Ryan's endorsement for the idiot out pourings of SF - he was talking about pandemic emergency management, not provincial politicians looking for a cheap soundbite.

And nope, opposition has a powerful role to play (I like what NZ have done) but SF are less about scrutiny and more about soundbites- and I know SF like to abstain from things so they probably don't get it, but it's parliament's job (not just the army council opposition's ) to hold the executive to account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1247903498902966273

That’s great Louise , tell them what they already know

Apparently Louise O'Reilly's request for relevance ammunition was what spurred the team in Cork on to try to produce the reagent.

Likewise, before I was in Regulatory Affairs, I was part of our company's programme management office - even tweaking a line to introduce a change or a modification was a very involved project. I can't even begin to imagine how you would go about stopping an existing line, converting it to do something else, then returning to its original function.

The staff restaurant is available though......maybe SF think we can cook up some reagent there - joking aside, it's probably the only space we have that could be used for that :D

On the plus side, I take heart in SF's ignorance of modern manufacturing......that way when they arrive to seize the means of production, we can tell them it's behind the bike shelters and they'll leave us alone.

Yet the HSE is in negotiations with Irish Pharma companies to see if they can 'ramp up capacity'
    Paul Reid wrote:
    He said he is also working with pharma companies and laboratories in Ireland to see if they can “significantly ramp up” their capacity to provide further supplies. Those discussions are continuing today.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/reagents-testing-pharma-5064565-Apr2020/

Yet we were told vociferously here that that wasn't possible. Will he be told about the 'bike shed' too?

The IDA too seem to be telling porkies according to you guys:
    “IDA Ireland is aware of an industry led initiative that is currently underway to explore the possibility of producing reagent in Ireland.”

The Irish Pharmaceutical Industry is saying this too:
    Ireland's pharmaceutical industry has indicated it is gearing up to produce key ingredients for Covid-19 testing which the State is struggling to source on the international market.
    The industry could produce enough reagent - a key laboratory ingredient which is in short supply - to enable around 500,000 tests to take place, said Matt Moran, director of the pharmaceutical industry lobby group BioPharmaChem Ireland.

He told The Irish Times that he was hopeful of being able to make a firm announcement soon. "We are looking at making it, and are trying to source the raw materials at the moment."

By the way, will it now take 'years' for that company in Cork to get certification to produce their kits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    What do you actually do for a living?

What does it matter to you? Genuine question? To throw a slur at someone who doesn't agree with your favourite parties policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,756 ✭✭✭✭walshb

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Apparently Louise O'Reilly's request for relevance ammunition was what spurred the team in Cork on to try to produce the reagent.

And her back log!:rolleyes:

Wow that's really some leap to claim Dr Ryan's endorsement for the idiot out pourings of SF - he was talking about pandemic emergency management, not provincial politicians looking for a cheap soundbite.

And nope, opposition has a powerful role to play (I like what NZ have done) but SF are less about scrutiny and more about soundbites- and I know SF like to abstain from things so they probably don't get it, but it's parliament's job (not just the army council opposition's ) to hold the executive to account.

I think you are being hypocritical invoking Ryan to save the blushes of the government while not extending the same courtesy to others who are doing their duty, speaking out and asking questions.

Also are you saying that SF haven't called people and institutions of the state to account while in opposition in the Dáil and brought scrutiny to bear on the same?

Because that just doesn't tally with reality in any sense of the word. Pure and simple, it is a lie and not what I seen during the term of government while FF sat on their hands in C&S.

So Dr Ryan of the WHO was wrong then when he said

.......but sure what would he know.

He said work quickly not make idiotic decisions there's a difference.Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Spain all had faulty gear from China delivered and made it publicly knowns before ours was bought.

Hurrache wrote: »
    That was idiot Cosgrave.

No it wasn't it was Harris.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1124042/

Another terrific Harris quote . I'm sure though that quote of working fast not perfect might still cover him thought. Jesus wept!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1238394102753918976?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

He said work quickly not make idiotic decisions there's a difference.Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Spain all had faulty gear from China delivered and made it publicly knowns before ours was bought.

I think you were already asked this but where should they have got the ppe from? Please point me to your previous answer if you have already answered.

• Advertisement

Like Harris and co buying ppe off Alibaba?
    Hurrache wrote: »
    That was idiot Cosgrave.
    No it wasn't it was Harris.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1124042/

Sorry, but where in that final article you linked does it say Harris and/or the HSE bought PPE rom Alibaba?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement