Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

For front line workers?

Can I interest you in a range of homeopathic virus cures?

Who suggested this for front line workers? Not I or anyone else as far as I'm aware. So you may withdraw the snark

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Last several pages was on ppe for frontline staff
    These are for the general public who may be asymptomatic
    To offer some protection to others
    It's the advice in the USA

I'm fully aware of that

This isn't about ideology - it's still a dumb idea, promoting the idea that home-made masks offer protection against picking up SARS-CoV-2 particles.

A virus particle is between 70 & 90 nm in diameter - cotton weave, even in layers isn't going to catch that.

No scientific claims pertaining to the above were made be me, the SF TD or Josepha Madigan for that matter.

And it obviously is about ideology when someone attempted a bash at a SF TD for retweeting a video about homemade masks, which happens to be CDC advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This isn't about ideology - it's still a dumb idea, promoting the idea that home-made masks offer protection against picking up SARS-CoV-2 particles.

A virus particle is between 70 & 90 nm in diameter - cotton weave, even in layers isn't going to catch that.

Now just who 'promoted' that idea Sultan?

You are exaggerating again.

Yurt! wrote: »
    No scientific claims pertaining to the above were made be me, the SF TD or Josepha Madigan for that matter.

And it obviously is about ideology when someone attempted a bash at a SF TD for retweeting a video about homemade masks, which happens to be CDC advice.

Do I hear the sound of frantic scurrying? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

anyone circulating that tweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Was it not introduced here in the ppe discussion in the context of your 'moving mountains ' speech ?

Was it not introduced here in the ppe discussion in the context of your 'moving mountains ' speech ?

Where was that?

have you another 'sensational' screen grab where you are going to ask me to back-up something I never said? :D

anyone circulating that tweet

Nonsense.
    Much as I dislike FG currently I would never suggest Madigan was advocating that.

Accept it Sultan, you were once again - exaggerating.

• Advertisement

Nonsense.
    Much as I dislike FG currently I would never suggest Madigan was advocating that.

Accept it Sultan, you were once again - exaggerating.

Not really, no context in this type of situation is not the best idea.

Now, if you want exaggeration, you should look to Conor Murphy....
    ....on 27 March, Mr Murphy announced that he had made a “joint order” with the Irish government for a “significant” volume of personal protective equipment (PPE) which he said “should satisfy our supply demands”.

Five days earlier, in response to question about the lack of PPE for medical staff, deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill had told the Assembly that the Finance Department had that morning “signed a contract that will see additional PPE brought in”.

However, last Friday – a week after Mr Murphy’s announcement – the Nolan Show revealed that in fact there was no order, with the Irish government stating that it had “not proved possible to place a joint order”.

Not really, no context in this type of situation is not the best idea.

Now, if you want exaggeration, you should look to Conor Murphy....

We are desperate to change the subject aren't we. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

So what happened in this situation? Are you gonna call for more "transparency" from the MLA's up North?

Not really, I think I've made my point - a dumb idea is a dumb idea regardless of who shares it.

It would be better if it was explained that such masks will not protect you, but they may protect others if you are asymptomatic and shedding.

jh79 wrote: »
    So what happened in this situation? Are you gonna call for more "transparency" from the MLA's up North?

.....or for NI to send out inspectors to China to check their consignments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Where was that?

have you another 'sensational' screen grab where you are going to ask me to back-up something I never said? :D

Oh you did unsucessfuly try to deny a post all day yesterday
    When you're done denying things you go WTF and move on

You were hung this morning again earlier on the china 2 week quarantine because all you are doing again is spoofing on pharma PPE reagents, test kits and dealing with China etc etc
    Something you as spokesperson here for Sinn Féin clearly know nothing about

Threads like these are probably the only places with 4 0r 5 readers left for you to indulge such a lack of knowledge

I seen this story when it emerged.

I don't know what happened but I did follow it up to see what each side was saying and the HSE were vague about what exactly happened.
    Was an order agreed and then proved impossible to 'place' or was no order agreed at all?
    I think we should know the answer.
    However, the Department of Health has confirmed that no joint order has been placed for personal protective equipment (PPE) from China in conjunction with the Northern Ireland Executive

A spokeswoman said: “We are ready to discuss any area where we can co-operate effectively, North and South, including on procurement of PPE and critical supplies.

“In relation to procurement, while it has not so far proved possible to place a joint order in the context of what is an increasingly challenging international environment, discussions between procurement teams are ongoing and active, and it remains our intention to continue to co-operate in this area.”

Not really, I think I've made my point - a dumb idea is a dumb idea regardless of who shares it.

It would be better if it was explained that such masks will not protect you, but they may protect others if you are asymptomatic and shedding.

It isn't a 'dumb idea' if it increases the effect of social distancing.

I don't know what happened but I did follow it up to see what each side was saying and the HSE were vague about what exactly happened.
    Was an order agreed and then proved impossible to 'place' or was no order agreed at all?

So it's the HSE's fault??!?!?

Do SF ever take responsibility for anything? It can't always be Westminster's fault, or Dublin's fault, or the EU's fault, or China's fault.....if buck-passing was a sport they'd be the undisputed world champions!

Oh you did unsucessfuly try to deny a post all day yesterday
    When you're done denying things you go WTF and move on

You were hung this morning again earlier on the china 2 week quarantine because all you are doing again is spoofing on pharma PPE reagents, test kits and dealing with China etc etc
    Something you as spokesperson here for Sinn Féin clearly know nothing about

Threads like these are probably the only places with 4 0r 5 readers left for you to indulge such a lack of knowledge

You are still in fantasy land on this I see.

You asked me to back up something I never said.

I admitted I didn't know about the 2 week quarantine something you are clearly not able to do when you are wrong.

Good luck, I won't be indulging you in your lies on this anymore.

• Advertisement

So it's the HSE's fault??!?!?

Do SF ever take responsibility for anything? It can't always be Westminster's fault, or Dublin's fault, or the EU's fault, or China's fault.....if buck-passing was a sport they'd be the undisputed world champions!

Who said it was the HSE's fault?

I quoted their statement where they are not clear about it.

I said I think we should know exactly what happened.

Get lost Sultan with your misrepresentations again!

It's not the South that have to answer it, CM made the claim not the HSE.

It isn't a 'dumb idea' if it increases the effect of social distancing.

That's the whole point - it doesn't!

Healthy people reading it are going to think a mask provides protection, therefore they can go into situations where they shouldn't because they're wearing a carefully folded bandana over their mouths.....or because other people are wearing them, even though, at best a folded home-made mask only catches 50% of virus particles being shed through respiration.....not good if you happen to run into a super-spreader.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I know some of the counterfeit stuff we get sent to evaluate is almost indistinguishable from our own products - a few years ago we just had to worry about packaging being counterfeited, now its whole assemblies and components.....so I'm not sure how even a well trained team of auditors/assessors on an airport apron could even hope to inspect enough PPE, in sufficient detail to pass or reject a consignment - it's fantasyland stuff from people who have no clue how the real world runs.

Christ some reaching you're doing to excuse this away. gowns with three-quarter length sleeves, leaving arms exposed should be easily spotted.

It's not the South that have to answer it, CM made the claim not the HSE.

Murphy has explained what happened on his end.

Was there an order agreed...the HSE don't say..only that it proved impossible to 'place' an order.

Which tallies with what Murphy said.
    Mr Murphy said officials from the Republic of Ireland were forced to go ahead with an order for the equipment after global powers, including USA and India, entered the race for PPE, before a joint order was agreed with Northern Ireland.

"Yesterday afternoon, despite the best efforts of all involved, I received confirmation the order would not be fulfilled through this route," he said.

If he is lying then we clearly have to ask the HSE if an order was agreed or not.

And, I will say it again, I think we should know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Sorry, but where in that final article you linked does it say Harris and/or the HSE bought PPE rom Alibaba?

No that was in relation to Harris saying we'd be testing 15 k.do you now agree he was foolish to say that?

Murphy has explained what happened on his end.

Was there an order agreed...the HSE don't say..only that it proved impossible to 'place' an order.

Which tallies with what Murphy said.

If he is lying then we clearly have to ask the HSE if an order was agreed or not.

And, I will say it again, I think we should know the answer.

Mr Murphy said officials from the Republic of Ireland were forced to go ahead with an order for the equipment after global powers, including USA and India, entered the race for PPE, before a joint order was agreed with Northern Ireland.

That is your answer right there. He announced it before it was agreed.

smurgen wrote: »
    Christ some reaching you're doing to excuse this away. gowns with three-quarter length sleeves, leaving arms exposed should be easily spotted.

How?

How can you get inspection teams off the plane, to examine the kit etc all in the 3-hour turnaround permitted by the Chinese authorities? Even in a situation where they let one jet stay for 5 hours?

Each batch, according to Aer Lingus, "....consists of 600 tonnes of materials, including personal protective equipment like masks, goggles, gowns, gloves and more...."

So if you're not allowed off the plane, how do you inspect that quantity of kit in the confines of an aircraft cabin?

That's the whole point - it doesn't!

Healthy people reading it are going to think a mask provides protection, therefore they can go into situations where they shouldn't because they're wearing a carefully folded bandana over their mouths.....or because other people are wearing them, even though, at best a folded home-made mask only catches 50% of virus particles being shed through respiration.....not good if you happen to run into a super-spreader.

So YOU say. But others say different.

It's like washing hands or even the 2 meter rule, some washing of hands is better than none, some distance is better than none.
    They are guidelines, not hard scientific methods of not catching the virus. As is a mask.

Nobody suggested these were medical standard safeguards...just another deterrent in the absence of better.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    No that was in relation to Harris saying we'd be testing 15 k.do you now agree he was foolish to say that?

Do you admit it was foolish to state he was getting PPE from Alibaba?

Saying we'd do 15,000 tests was foolish if he just pulled the figure from thin air and offered without any basis, but if he's been briefed that such a figure is do-able then all he is doing is passing on information - that's not foolish, that's just doing his job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement