Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

smurgen wrote: »
    Your comprehension limits are showing again. I've asked for evidence his numbers are wrong. That doesn't equal support. Where are the official government numbers? Why do the government not report these numbers?

I've asked you how you managed to verify the numbers Micheal Martin deleted from his Twitter account, why have you not been able to answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    What in dear lord are you blathering about now Francie?

You think FG make this stuff up on the fly?
    What about all these other governments that had issues? Is that also the 'FG way'?
    Or are you spouting **** for the sake of it. Do you get paid per post?

Anyway.

I hear it may rain tomorrow. Quick! Blame FG! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That was directed at the FG acolytes on here who say, everytime an improvement is suggested or a criticism is made, handwave it away as 'impossible...too big a task...you can't be doing that...etc etc'

'Excuses' they are called in my environs.

christy c wrote: »
    I've asked you how you managed to verify the numbers Micheal Martin deleted from his Twitter account, why have you not been able to answer?

How do you verify the figures FG give? Or any politician for that matter?

How do you verify the figures FG give? Or any politician for that matter?

Well Martin's figures were disputed by the HSE yesterday, and he deleted his tweet about this. Given that that poster repeated it I asked him to show how he verified it- fair question?

I take a lot of things politicians say with a pinch of salt.

Well Martin's figures were disputed by the HSE yesterday, and he deleted his tweet about this. Given that that poster repeated it I asked him to show how he verified it- fair question?

I take a lot of things politicians say with a pinch of salt.

I heard Colm Henry say he 'didn't know where the figure came from', I didn't hear them dispute them per se. Fergal Bowers still hasn't deleted his tweet, so I presume the figure remains in the public domain until the right figure is given or Martin is questioned on where it came from.

TBH with you at this stage we need a good Dáil session so that all the fudging and confusion around testing can be sorted out and explained. Over-sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

You can crib all you want about the government but I think we are doing well compared to other so called super powers . Look below at New York . Unreal.
    https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1248472724957065216?s=21

I heard Colm Henry say he 'didn't know where the figure came from', I didn't hear them dispute them per se. Fergal Bowers still hasn't deleted his tweet, so I presume the figure remains in the public domain until the right figure is given or Martin is questioned on where it came from.

TBH with you at this stage we need a good Dáil session so that all the fudging and confusion around testing can be sorted out and explained. Over-sight.

Colm Henry said that Ireland was able to meet its demand for testing. That would indicate to me that the 51k figure was incorrect (but I'm not sure), hence why I asked that poster to show how he verified them.

Fergal Bowers tweet was basically "MM said xyz", he had no reason to delete it as he Fergal was factually correct.

Dail session probably no harm but that still doesn't answer how the initial poster verfified his figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You can crib all you want about the government but I think we are doing well compared to other so called super powers . Look below at New York . Unreal.
    https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1248472724957065216?s=21

Just read the underlying article. Hart Island is where the homeless / impecunious with no next of kin have always been buried. A sad place to be buried but that's where such unfortunate people have always been put to rest. And they are preparing the site for an influx of such burials if worst comes to worst.

So it's not exactly accurate that the average New Yorker will be interred there if they pass away from covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Whats your excuse for this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52091054
    Finance Minister Conor Murphy has confirmed that an order for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from China was not completed.

Last week he said a joint consignment was agreed between NI and the Irish government.

But on Friday he said that the plan failed when "major economic powers entered the global race for PPE".
    On Friday afternoon, Mr Murphy said he had agreed to process an order for PPE with Dublin from China last week, and was arranging the transfer of pay when a number of "significant players had moved in", thwarting the order.

He said he had only found out on Thursday that "intense international demand" had scuppered the bid, but that would not give up.

"All week we were trying to secure that route but it was not possible," he told BBC News NI, adding there were Invest NI staff on the ground working to find an alternative supplier.

You set unbelievable benchmarks and standards for everyone Francie, so what's your excuse when they fail up North?

Colm Henry said that Ireland was able to meet its demand for testing. That would indicate to me that the 51k figure was incorrect (but I'm not sure), hence why I asked that poster to show how he verified them.

Fergal Bowers tweet was basically "MM said xyz", he had no reason to delete it as he Fergal was factually correct.

Dail session probably no harm but that still doesn't answer how the initial poster verfified his figures.

You can't verify if they are incorrect, and the poster can't verify if they are correct.
    Kinda up to Martin.

If it was a shinner said it he/she would be hounded until they did. :)
    Martin will slither off the hook no doubt.

• Advertisement

Whats your excuse for this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52091054

You set unbelievable benchmarks and standards for everyone Francie, so what's your excuse when they fail up North?

All sorted out already on the thread with another poster Mark...try reading it.

My conclusion was MON messed up in terminology, the other poster pinned it on Murphy.
    But I think (poster jh79 can correct if I am wrong) we both agreed with the UUP leader in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That was directed at the FG acolytes on here who say, everytime an improvement is suggested or a criticism is made, handwave it away as 'impossible...too big a task...you can't be doing that...etc etc'

It's a strange world you live in where you think that adding a two week delay to vital supplies is an "improvement".

There's a big difference between dismissing all suggestions, and pointing out how utterly stupid your suggestion was.

And of course, in Francie's warped little world - it's everyone else's fault that you made an idiotic and simplistic suggestion that anyone with half a brain could see wouldn't work

You can't verify if there are incorrect, and the poster can't verify if they are correct.
    Kinda up to Martin.

If it was a shinner said it he/she would be hounded until they did. :)
    Martin will slither off the hook no doubt.

It's not up to me to prove they were incorrect, if a poster introduces figures here I would expect that they would make a reasonable effort to verify them. If they didn't and just fired them up without a second thought because it made a good soundbite,fine, but just admit it.

It's not up to me to prove they were incorrect, if a poster introduces figures here I would expect that they would make a reasonable effort to verify them. If they didn't and just fired them up without a second thought because it made a good soundbite,fine, but just admit it.

I understand what you are getting at but threads would grind to a halt. You have already said that you have no way of verifying what FG say for instance.
    If a politician quotes a figure then it seems to me it can be used until it is proved to be incorrect or the politician says they were wrong or bull****ting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

My conclusion was MON messed up in terminology, the other poster pinned it on Murphy.
    But I think (poster jh79 can correct if I am wrong) we both agreed with the UUP leader in the end.

It was an understandable mistake. My issue was more with Francie being a lot more forgiving to CM and MON than the FG equivalents.

But i do think your attitude to the aftermath of the RHI scandal highlights your double standards more.

You keep talking about transparency yet not a bad word said about SF "code of conduct" approach that protects their special advisors.

You were pretty evasive about at first so i suspect you know SF alternative to Allister legislation was really about protecting the advisors from any real scrutiny.

blackwhite wrote: »
    It's a strange world you live in where you think that adding a two week delay to vital supplies is an "improvement".

There's a big difference between dismissing all suggestions, and pointing out how utterly stupid your suggestion was.

And of course, in Francie's warped little world - it's everyone else's fault that you made an idiotic and simplistic suggestion that anyone with half a brain could see wouldn't work

I didn't say anything about a 2 week delay though.

I accepted that I didn't know that people arriving into the country needed to quarantine for 2 weeks and then suggested that staff already there could do it.

'Suggested'.

Further intrigued by what Conor Murphy said in the executive about the order too: He understood that there were people on the ground assessing quality and that it was an already established supply line.

I understand what you are getting at but threads would grind to a halt. You have already said that you have no way of verifying what FG say for instance.
    If a politician quotes a figure then it seems to me it can be used until it is proved to be incorrect or the politician says they were wrong or bull****ting.

He deleted the tweet, people dont usually delete tweets if they think they are right. Also the HSE tries to be diplomatic from what I have seen, they said they didn't know where he got the figure from and Ireland has the capacity. Given all the above it would be reasonable to expect someone to try to verify the 51k figure.

BTW, Smurgen hasn't said that he cannot verify the 51k. Maybe he's compiling the data as we type and our whole conversation will be pointless?

jh79 wrote: »
    It was an understandable mistake. My issue was more with Francie being a lot more forgiving to CM and MON than the FG equivalents.

But i do think your attitude to the aftermath of the RHI scandal highlights your double standards more.

You keep talking about transparency yet not a bad word said about SF "code of conduct" approach that protects their special advisors.

You were pretty evasive about at first so i suspect you know SF alternative to Allister legislation was really about protecting the advisors from any real scrutiny.

I said that 5 parties support that 'code of conduct' and therefore I was happy it had concensus.
    If the 5 parties decided to support Allister's motion, that was ok with me too.

What could be more democratic than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/04/10/news/irish-news/micheal-martin-testing-backlog-gaffe/amp

51,000 were OFFERED a test lads.

Not waiting.

Weldone to MM but especially the comrades in here who were only so quick to jump into bed with FF to score a political shot over FG.

You're doing your country proud during these hard times.

All about the party ay comrades, that's all that matters.

Double facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

What in dear lord are you blathering about now Francie?

You think FG make this stuff up on the fly?
    What about all these other governments that had issues? Is that also the 'FG way'?
    Or are you spouting **** for the sake of it. Do you get paid per post?

Anyway.

I hear it may rain tomorrow. Quick! Blame FG! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're long enough around now to waste your time here

• Advertisement

He deleted the tweet, people dont usually delete tweets if they think they are right. Also the HSE tries to be diplomatic from what I have seen, they said they didn't know where he got the figure from and Ireland has the capacity. Given all the above it would be reasonable to expect someone to try to verify the 51k figure.

BTW, Smurgen hasn't said that he cannot verify the 51k. Maybe he's compiling the data as we type and our whole conversation will be pointless?

Maybe.

I think ultimately the responsibility falls to Martin to verify. We can only take politicians at their word until we know different.

In truth we can only 'trust' that NPHET and the HSE are giving the correct figures. we can't actually and factually verify them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/04/10/news/irish-news/micheal-martin-testing-backlog-gaffe/amp

51,000 were OFFERED a test lads.

Not waiting.

Weldone to MM but especially the comrades in here who were only so quick to jump into bed with FF to score a political shot over FG.

You're doing your country proud during these hard times.

All about the party ay comrades, that's all that matters.

Double facepalm.

Hard to believe today week,he most likely will be taoiseach,endorsed by FG

Further intrigued by what Conor Murphy said in the executive about the order too: He understood that there were people on the ground assessing quality and that it was an already established supply line.

That just shows his inexperience. An established supply line wouldn't need people on the ground and as pointed out to you already it would not of been possible anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hard to believe today week,he most likely will be taoiseach,endorsed by FG

No argument there.

I said that 5 parties support that 'code of conduct' and therefore I was happy it had concensus.
    If the 5 parties decided to support Allister's motion, that was ok with me too.

What could be more democratic than that?

They shut stormont over RHI and the language act yet ran a mile from a solution that would of given NI transparency on their dealings with their special advisors.

Maybe.

I think ultimately the responsibility falls to Martin to verify. We can only take politicians at their word until we know different.

In truth we can only 'trust' that NPHET and the HSE are giving the correct figures. we can't actually and factually verify them.

We'll see what smurgen comes back with, I think common sense should be used when there is reason to believe it may not be accurate.

Sorry, I am not reading close to 3000 posts to try and catch up on the inane arguments.

As I said, you level of expectations are way too high, you should be careful as we can see in NI, that the administration there are no better than in the South. Many would in fact state, that the Republic are showing them how its done.

Sorry, I am not reading close to 3000 posts to try and catch up on the inane arguments.

As I said, you level of expectations are way too high, you should be careful as we can see in NI, that the administration there are no better than in the South. Many would in fact state, that the Republic are showing them how its done.

May I say, your sensitivity to criticism is way too high.
    I have stated several times (if you had taken the time before attacking to read the thread) that I think the government are doing well managing the crisis overall and a lot better than our neighbour (including NI) but there are lapses and failures that I am going to debate and discuss and make no apology for so doing.

jh79 wrote: »
    They shut stormont over RHI and the language act yet ran a mile from a solution that would of given NI transparency on their dealings with their special advisors.

There are 5 parties there...several of them diametrically opposed to SF, they ALL agreed to back the code of conduct but you chose to depict that as SF 'running a mile' from another motion that as yet hasn't the backing of the other 5.

See what that is saying about you here?

• Advertisement

May I say, your sensitivity to criticism is way too high.
    I have stated several times (if you had taken the time before attacking to read the thread) that I think the government are doing well managing the crisis overall and a lot better than our neighbour (including NI) but there are lapses and failures that I am going to debate and discuss and make no apology for so doing.

OK, So they are doing well, but you are still going to criticise them just cause.
    That comes across as a crank and malcontent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement