Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE should broadcast Leaving Cert Lectures during the Day to fill their slots

• 20-03-2020 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

Based on the assumption that the Leaving is going ahead I was thinking maybe the state broadcaster should do this as they will have a lot of blank slots in the coming weeks. Get some decent teachers and stream say 4 hours a day of lectures on the big 6 subjects, Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, History and Geography.
    Shouldn't be that expensive and not many cameras would be needed. Maybe similar to the 70's BBC For Schools and Colleges programming.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No doubt the unions will be out in their droves fighting it - notwithstanding SME’s and private colleges and professional bodies have been providing that service for years - ona pay per subscription basis. God forbid RTe follow the BBc’s old example in something useful. Rememver when Open University classes were shown on late night BBC slits - look where OU is now worldwide - and all online. RTE how are ya; can’t even organise out own language to be supported in national TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

Why can't we just use YouTube? And please, don't give me the whole rural Ireland spiel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I honestly can't see why the unions would have a major problem with it.

No idea about RTE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At best you'd get the big 3 subjects I think.

Otherwise when Hermione's Mummy and Daddy see extra classes paid for by the State in History, which lovely Hermione does not do, but none in Ancient Greek which she does, there will be a scatter to the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    Why can't we just use YouTube? And please, don't give me the whole rural Ireland spiel.

It's not just availability to broadband. It's also availability to the technology itself. And that's not just a rural issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

bobbyss wrote: »
    It's not just availability to broadband. It's also availability to the technology itself. And that's not just a rural issue.

If you can't access YouTube in 2020 surely you deserve to be penalized?

Advertisement