Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Printer Needed - Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

HP brand is good, but if you can afford id look into laser jet instead of ink.

ive HP p1102w prob isnt made anymore, does only black and white and has served me well over 3 years now for just under 20 quid in cartridges total spent, 1k pages easily.

never fails, starts in seconds, would def go for laser color might be more expensive but at the end well worth it, if you need color.

as many cheap out thinking they get a bargain which is far to often reverse case.

as my issue with inkjets its the clogs, constant use of ink to clean nozzles lines etc, as printing of pictures are cents in any boot now, but for simple paperwork B&W is massive saving, since as you know its cheap not because they make money but after you need refill and some of the printers can be hungry as hell, and initial cost will triple in no time.

something like this: https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9296822/Trail/searchtext%3EHP+LASER+JET.htm

might be stepper on different models but really worth the initial cost long term, of course look at reviews and cartridge costs as well.

as ive have canon POS that cost me about 400 in ink in few months that i had it, one cartridge empty and wont print, constant usage of ink was insane, used now just as a scanner if really in need and even at that its massive ball buster to get it working right.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,602 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tesco worth a look too, I recommend getting one with scanner built in, will let you scan and photocopy docs. You might pick one up for €60/70, they make their money on the ink cartridges.

Tesco worth a look too, I recommend getting one with scanner built in, will let you scan and photocopy docs. You might pick one up for €60/70, they make their money on the ink cartridges.
    theres tons of em under 50-60 euro with scan print double side even etc, but yes they get the money back on ink, thus suggesting OP to go for laser option, way better, of course if its for few times he might get away with any 30quid one for a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I usually print at work though.
    This is just to get me through however long I'm away from the office with the present pandemic. Will be doing very little printing other than worksheets for the kids while they are off school.

if thats the case buy any cheapest you can find, doubt theres much need to pick between, as said above in such cases tescos usually have couple laying around at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

I have one I'm trying to get rid of.

It needs internet connection to work. I don't have internet in my house. It's never been used (bar me trying to set it up before I realised) and has a full ink set in it.

I want it gone so you can have it for free.

CaoinDory wrote: »

It needs internet connection to work. I don't have internet in my house. It's never been used (bar me trying to set it up before I realised) and has a full ink set in it.

Are you near Cavan though?

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Are you near Cavan though?

I'm in carlow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭trumptheman

Whats the model? I'm just very curious that a printer needs an internet connection to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I have one of these at work and at home.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7177620/Trail/searchtext%3EPRINTER.htm

Currently €60 quid in Argos, was €48.00 last week, as I picked one up for working from home, so watch for the price to drop again.

I buy generic 302XL replacement ink cartridges on Amazon for about a tenner each, and they last ages. Never had a problem with clogging.

• Advertisement

Whats the model? I'm just very curious that a printer needs an internet connection to work.

It's a hp.

It's a HP. I'll PM you a pic.

Heres the HP

Heres the HP. Sorry had to crop to send it.

I had a HP Envy before that no matter how I tried to connect it, it would not print directly from my computer.

The only way it would print was if I emailed the document I wanted to print to a HP email address and then it printed wirelessly.

Pain in the a**.

I replaced it with one of the ones I recommended above.

AulWan wrote: »
    I have one of these at work and at home.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7177620/Trail/searchtext%3EPRINTER.htm

Currently €60 quid in Argos, was €48.00 last week, as I picked one up for working from home, so watch for the price to drop again.

I buy generic 302XL replacement ink cartridges on Amazon for about a tenner each, and they last ages. Never had a problem with clogging.

Reading about the Instant ink system is putting me off a HP.

I was thinking about this one that comes with a free extra black cartridge for 48 at the minute.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9172874/Trail/searchtext%3EEPSON.htm

I was thinking about this one that comes with a free extra black cartridge for 48 at the minute.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9172874/Trail/searchtext%3EEPSON.htm

The instant ink thing is optional. Ive never used it. I had a Canon before and got rid of it because the ink was dear to replace.

With the current HP (which is the same one you linked to in your OP) I buy 3 black and 1 colour cartridge at a time from Amazon, for about 45 euro for the lot.

If you've limited space, the one you've linked to will suit you better, but if you use it for scanning or copying, you can only do one page at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

WiFi network, not internet and it still should have USB connection
    https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c05518157#AbT1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

From my own personal experience, I'd advise against Epson.

My soon to be in the bin printer is an Expression 830. Waste of money on ink, clogs all the time and you have to use the nozzle clean which burns through ink like nothing. It also tells you the cartridge is empty even though there is loads left in it. I'm currently looking for a decent replacement which is why i am here. I outright refuse to get another Epson.

I might have a look at that Laser printer, it could be overkill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you do not require colour then a cheap laser is the way forward ....... often available for less than €80

EDIT:

This seems to have both print and scan for €90

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/brother-dcp1612w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10124890-pdt.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement