Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Next General Election

Options
  • 20-03-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

With the governments handling of the Covid 19 crisis and Mary Lou gone MIA, would those of you that voted SF reconsider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gael23 wrote: »
    With the governments handling of the Covid 19 crisis and Mary Lou gone MIA, would those of you that voted SF reconsider?

You really think now is the time to try and score points? Cop on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

If the next General Election doesn't take place til 2024/25, hopefully COVID-19 will be just a bad memory by then, businesses will be back up and running and it won't be a direct issue. But a related issue is likely to be managing the additional debt that the country will have taken on because of it - and maybe contingency plans for a new, possibly worse, virus emerging.

Anyway, I wouldn't single out MLMcD - there hasn't been much from any other party leader either - including Mehole Martin! But I'm certain that when it's all over, opposition party's (whoever they are) will find plenty about COVID-19 handling to give out about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Whatever about the next General Election hopefully the intelligentsia that elect the Seanad
    give the same message to that eternal whingebag Coppinger that Dublin West gave her

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I saw this subject touched in the corona virus forum. Its like brexit, this crap wont be a get out of jail and do nothing card for several years. Honestly, you'd wonder if they offered people say E500 towards leaving the country, as a get out payment, would it make sense. Foreigners may be interested in it. Would ease the housing crisis and solve some problems. Probably not something they will contemplate right now, but may do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

With the governments handling of the Covid 19

Like they 'handled' Brexit :pac:

We have a crap health system becasue of FF/FG and lots of people will probably die as a result, so yeah well done FG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

how long can we go without forming a government?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

I’d guess by the next election there’s a vaccine/cure or Corona is gone.

What will not be gone are totally devastated public finances. I’d expect a deficit this year and sizable one of at least 15bn next year. The tax base in Ireland is so insanely narrow, and all these top earners are linked to corporate profits (entrepreneurs, partnerships, incentive pay for senior employees) which will evaporate even in case of a 3-4 week shutdown.
    Income tax is roughy 36bn, you can cut a quarter out of that.
    Vat and excise will drop too and expenditure will go up massively.

Next election will be all about fixing the economy, not how to spend the surpluses.

Id hazard a guess that issues which decided last will be pertinent to the next (housing,social ineqality,)

Kinda have to admire naivity of FG supporters,walking into same mistake they did with brexit and thinking social media kudos will transfer to votes

Like,its undoubtful they have done very well in this crisis (id give it 8 or 9 outta 10),but we're still dealing with same crisis we were 6 weeks ago (credit where due as regards stopping eviction and rent rises though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

We know you and the other thousand FG re reg accounts want FG to be in power badly. The problem is FG are blow ins. They’re not really irish. So any end of the world event or otherwise won’t make the Irish public want them in power. Do yourself a favour and move to England. You’ll be much more at home there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Granny15 wrote: »
    We know you and the other thousand FG re reg accounts want FG to be in power badly. The problem is FG are blow ins. They’re not really irish. So any end of the world event or otherwise won’t make the Irish public want them in power. Do yourself a favour and move to England. You’ll be much more at home there

How do you make out I’m a rereg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gael23 wrote:

No I probably won't change my mind, a major change is required from the usual ffg combinations, but realistically, that probably won't happen, we re not ready for change yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Leo & Co were doing a good job, and actually they're still doing a Great job in this time of crisis. (Strong and stable, surefooted & totally in charge) but I don't think that matters to the Irish electorate who seem to have decided, that come what may, for better or for worse, this government must go and we must have CHANGE.

Mary Lou/ Sinn Fein seem to have hypnotised the Irish population into submission :)

Mary Lou/ Sinn Fein seem to have hypnotised the Irish population into submission

SF won't be in government anytime soon, it ll more than likely be some sort of combination of ffg

https://volksblatt.at/deutschland-plant-neuverschuldung-von-150-milliarden-euro/

Germnay expects 150bn deficit in 2020. Adjusted for population that would be 10bn in Ireland. And the missing company/income tax receipts will only hit in 2021....

Loving this, the Shinners see their free gaffs slipping away. 50-100bn new debt to serve without building a single council flat :)
    And no bankers to blame, just reckless spending in the boom when money should have been saved for an event like this.

J_1980 wrote: »
    https://volksblatt.at/deutschland-plant-neuverschuldung-von-150-milliarden-euro/

Germnay expects 150bn deficit in 2020. Adjusted for population that would be 10bn in Ireland. And the missing company/income tax receipts will only hit in 2021....

Loving this, the Shinners see their free gaffs slipping away. 50-100bn new debt to serve without building a single council flat :)
    And no bankers to blame, just reckless spending in the boom when money should have been saved for an event like this.

reckless spending in the boom? where? debt is money, its our main money supply! it makes no sense to save during a deflationary period!

I’d be more likely to vote for her now after seeing her decorum in all this and letting FG get on with things in our best interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Granny15 wrote: »

Out of interest where did FG (and presumably FF) blow in from?? Are sinn fein and their supporters the only real Irish?

I’d be more likely to vote for her now after seeing her decorum in all this and letting FG get on with things in our best interests.

Mary Lou & decorum! Ha, that's a joke.

She can sling her hook & clear off back to Moore Street as far as I'm concerned. Heard her on the radio just the other day, and she was just spurting out the usual drivel, talking loads with little substance or detail. She's all bluff & bluster all wrapped up in flowery language.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    reckless spending in the boom? where? debt is money, its our main money supply! it makes no sense to save during a deflationary period!

Welfare spending totally out of control. Highest dole in the oecd, with zero conditions attached. Lowest council rents, payments optional. Mortgage payments optional etc...... basket case.

Agree debt= money and it needs to increase. But the debt has to be backed by national assets (companies values, house prices etc). People dont understand the monetary system, you can only increase debt with increasing assets. Works the same way as the difference between unsecured personal loans (like Argentina, small debt high interest rate) and a house mortgage (like the USA, high debt, low interest rate).
    Increasing your asset prices is the tricky thing, only works by running a healthy competitive economy (like Trump’s America).

Mary Lou & decorum! Ha, that's a joke.

She can sling her hook & clear off back to Moore Street as far as I'm concerned. Heard in the radio just he over day and was just spurting out the usual drivel, talking loads with little substance or detail. She's all bluff & bluster all wrapped up in flowery language.

Politics is bluff and bluster and flowery language, it’s never been anything more than that.

I didn’t bother at all last time but I’ll vote for them in a heartbeat next time round. Without a doubt.

• Advertisement

Politics is bluff and bluster and flowery language, it’s never been anything more than that.

I didn’t bother at all last time but I’ll vote for them in a heartbeat next time round. Without a doubt.

Deep man, deep thinking not, stil, it's your vote, so you can vote for anybody you like.

Deep man, deep thinking NOT.
    Still, it's your vote, so you can vote for anybody you like.

I can and I will. I’m happy with how FG are dealing with this and I’m happy with the other parties for leaving them to it, but when the dust settles SF is the one I’d align with on most issues by a million miles so it makes perfect sense.

I can and I will. I’m happy with how FG are dealing with this and I’m happy with the other parties for leaving them to it, but when the dust settles SF is the one I’d align with on most issues by a million miles so it makes perfect sense.

I don't know your age, but I'm in my 50s, so the NI Troubles will forever be connected to Sinn Fein & the PIRA, (so in this context) what do you think of the fact that Mary Lou, David Cullinane, Martin Ferris, Dessie Ellis etc etc etc all justify what the PIRA did during the Troubles.

In other words, if Mary Lou turned up on your doorstep & you asked her about the PIRAs long list of murders & bombings (and she defended them), would you still vote for her?

I don't know your age, but I'm in my 50s, so the NI Troubles will be forever connected to Sinn Fein & the PIRA, (so in this context) what do you think of the fact that Mary Lou, David Cullinane, Martin Ferris, Dessie Ellis etc etc etc all justify what the PIRA did during the Troubles.

In other words, if Mary Lou turned up on your doorstep & you asked her about the PIRAs long list of murders & bombings (and she defended them), would you still vote for her?

The NI troubles can be attributed to far more than Sinn Fein and the PIRA, so I don’t know how you can just so easily absolve all the loyalist terrorists that were fairly well connected to the whole thing too.

It all stinks of just looking for a belly rub instead of facing the truth.

The NI troubles can be attributed to far more than Sinn Fein and the PIRA, so I don’t know how you can just so easily absolve all the loyalist terrorists that were fairly well connected to the whole thing too.

It all stinks of just looking for a belly rub instead of facing the truth.

It's their mindset that troubles me, they justify their past deeds, they excuse the PIRA, so for me the buck stops there .... before any economic discussions even start. The Loyalists were also a mad bunch of murdering lunatics, but they're not going to be represented anytime soon down here, so I wouldn't vote for them either.

Good luck with your decision/vote.

This virus may very well last the summer, so God knows what's going to happen politically between now & then.

The PIRA were needed at the time anyway. If there hadn’t been action you’d still have an apartheid situation in Northern Ireland. Or would you be happy with that? The rest of your post suggests you probably would.

That said, it’s not the reason I’d vote for them now, I can just see the reasoning behind it. There’s far more pressing worries (after the virus) and they are easily the party that will looks after the most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,175 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is this question going to be asked every week until the next election/end of the pandemic/end of the world?

P.S. There's zero chance we have another election any time soon.

The PIRA were needed at the time anyway. If there hadn’t been action you’d still have an apartheid situation in Northern Ireland. Or would you be happy with that? The rest of your post suggests you probably would.

OK, now you've gone too far;

The PIRA were an illegal Terrorist group, supported by a minority (within a minority), they had no mandate, and they had no right to reign death & destruction upon anyone.

The daily drip drip feed of murders by the IRA was not a necessity, it was a calculated terrorist campaign that brought nothing but death, sadness & destruction to NI & the South.

Remember, the PIRA were our enemy too.

The Gardai & the Irish defense forces always at the ready to thwart the next IRA Bank job, post office heist, Knee capping or kidnapping, hence the very wary attitudes by FG & Fianna fail towards SF...

If I had grown up in the North I would have voted SDLP (who did not support murder).

Obviously as displayed by David Cullinane & others, Sinn Fein have a way to go before they're fully uncontaminated by their bloody past.

OK, now you've gone too far;

The PIRA were an illegal Terrorist group, supported by a minority (within a minority), they had no mandate, and they had no right to reign death & destruction upon anyone.

The daily drip drip feed of murders by the IRA was not a necessity, it was a calculated terrorist campaign that brought nothing but death, sadness & destruction to NI & the South.

Remember, the PIRA were our enemy too.

The Gardai & the Irish defense forces always at the ready to thwart the next IRA Bank job, post office heist, Knee capping or kidnapping hence the very wary attitudes by FG & Fianna fail towards SF...

If I had grown up in the North I would have voted SDLP (who did not support murder).

Obviously as displayed by David Cullinane & others, Sinn Fein have a way to go before they're fully uncontaminated by their bloody past.

If you had grown up in the north your vote wouldn’t have mattered if you were the wrong breed.

Again you’re very focused on deaths from one side and one side only. I can understand loyalist killers being absolved by their own but it’s odd from an Irish person.

• Advertisement

If you had grown up in the north your vote wouldn’t have mattered if you were the wrong breed.

Again you’re very focused on deaths from one side and one side only. I can understand loyalist killers being absolved by their own but it’s odd from an Irish person.

The SDLP are/were an Irish Nationalist Party, and I would have voted for them, is that so odd for an Irish person?

John Hume, Seamus Mallon ring a bell?

Advertisement