Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting letters and packages - Irresponsible ?

Options
  • 20-03-2020 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

hi guys

quick question on the transmission of this virus on letters and parcels, i know there is potential for 48 hours of virus being viable but does this include on letters and packages during transit etc ?

with mothers day coming up and the zero chance of in person visits, would it be just as irresponsible to post stuff to the elderly?

any thoughts ?

Regards

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Ahwell

World Health Organization (WHO)

Q: Is it safe to receive a letter or a package from China?
    A: Yes, it is safe. People receiving packages from China are not at risk of contracting 2019-nCoV.
    From previous analysis, we know coronaviruses do not survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.

https://www.facebook.com/WHO/posts/2890957404282957

I know you won't be posting for China, but I think it answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Ahwell wrote: »
    World Health Organization (WHO)

Q: Is it safe to receive a letter or a package from China?
    A: Yes, it is safe. People receiving packages from China are not at risk of contracting 2019-nCoV.
    From previous analysis, we know coronaviruses do not survive long on objects, such as letters or packages.

https://www.facebook.com/WHO/posts/2890957404282957

"long" with the way our post service is they might get the letter next day

coming from china takes weeks as we all know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Ahwell

"long" with the way our post service is they might get the letter next day

coming from china takes weeks as we all know

I know, but if you search in google..the answer is no. Ring her and ask her to wash her hands after she bins the envelope/packaging to put your mind at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

hi guys

with mothers day coming up and the zero chance of in person visits, would it be just as irresponsible to post stuff to the elderly?

any thoughts ?

Regards

D

Don't lick the envelope :)

It is obliging the employees of an post to call to the house

So the bigger risk would be the employee had it and passed it via the envelope

Call the person and spend the time talking to them
    If they have access to a smart phone or tablet talk them throught setting up a video calling app what's app FaceTime etc
    Or spend 50e and post them a presetup smart phone

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Don't lick the envelope :)

It is obliging the employees of an post to call to the house

So the bigger risk would be the employee had it and passed it via the envelope

Call the person and spend the time talking to them
    If they have access to a smart phone or tablet talk them throught setting up a video calling app what's app FaceTime etc
    Or spend 50e and post them a presetup smart phone

Thanks for the feedback, i am worried about posting the virus or catching it along the way, when there are people in Bars and pubs within inches of each other. Crazy

• Advertisement

hi guys

quick question on the transmission of this virus on letters and parcels, i know there is potential for 48 hours of virus being viable but does this include on letters and packages during transit etc ?

any thoughts ?

Regards

D

I’d err on the side of caution and email or ring instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I asked about this sort of thing a few days back, about transmission on surfaces...when we are wiping down food stuffs and parcels is it wise of An Post to send postcards when the virus can last on surfaces?

https://www.livescience.com/how-long-coronavirus-last-surfaces.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Duck tape a bag around your letter box, leave the post in it for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Is an post delivering mail from China?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

* give your letter or package you receive a quick blast of disinfectant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

An post are not delivering any post from China. Just been on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

horse7 wrote: »
    An post are not delivering any post from China. Just been on to them.

Any more info? I've been worried about for a while, between postcards from An Post, plastic wrappers on mother's day flowers, people leaving bags of shopping.. gesture is kind but without proper sanitation are we not just asking for trouble? I see some stores (next, schuh) are now not delivering either. That is understandable given they want staff to be at home but I wonder still.

I'm not posting anything, and any deliveries including Tesco ones are being left, and disinfected/wiped down..not taking any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

There's probably a low chance of someone with CV coughing, sneezing or spitting on your packages. And then a low chance of you being infected. Plus I read that the virus would likely just soak and disperse into the paper / card.

Do give them a wipe down if you're worried, or wash your hands after handling. I mean, I would usually wash my hands after opening up some package or other anyway, that's just my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just spray all letters with IPA*

*IsoPropylAlcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Get yourself a Deliveries Office Gopher aka a DOG. They are skilled at assessing post AND invaders.
    Not so skilled at the post-analysis jigsaw though!

Advertisement