Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a window with openings be converted into a fixed pane

Options
  • 20-03-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi can anyone please advise me on this.
    The windows are aluclad brand new, the window has two openings is it possible to remove the windows and use the original frame to install a fixed pane of double glazing or will the whole window need to be replaced?
    Window size is 1.9 wide x 1.9 height

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Think you'll have to remove and replace the frame. It will be a bit of a botched job if they try and retain it.

In addition laws exist on ventilation and escape from openable windows. Is this a house and does the room have another openable window which is retained?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As above plus
    big pane, will weight anything between 75 and 100 kg, depending on glass
    https://www.glassparts.ie/glass-weight-calculator

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You could probably change an opening section to a fixed section but if you want to make it one large glass panel for the whole window, you will need to replace the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I just had a few different companies through the house quoting for window replacements. It was amazing what deep pockets they thought I had and the variety of their responses when I said I hadn’t!! The quotes ranged from halving from four figures to three when I said I wasn’t interested, to once off sign up now deals that gaave a 60% one day only discount. I’d also say that some suggested a change of glass was needed only and this could be ordered and accommodated through their repairs section. One quote was for the glass and surround to be replaced only but the frame would be recycled - so no plastering or taking out the original frame from the wall needed. It was really shocking wjat could be done. I’d definately say get online, check their promises and then ring them to discuss - you might be really surprised what they can do.

I was also told I could install triple glazing without disrupting the existing frames or needing to remove from the recall (? - wall!) - it coupd be done by modifying what was there and would only cost a fraction of a whole window replacement. I currently ‘only’ have double glazing - didn’t even think this would be possible/suggested. IMO its really worth calling a few different companies and sending them in a picture of the window and frame - both open and closed so they can see the system/mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You wont get much in the way of new windows for 3 figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

mickdw wrote: »
    You wont get much in the way of new windows for 3 figures.
    I agree, especially at 3+ sq m

I have seen some of this 3G upgrade insitu work: savage finish so get them to show you an example

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

3 figures...

Like 999 ?

What are you buying 2 windows ?

Advertisement