Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating out/eating in - takeaways, restaurants and meal delivery Megathread

Options
  • 20-03-2020 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

So I ordered my weekly Chinese takeaway delivery this evening. Wasn't even sure they would be open. They told me they are closing tomorrow for the foreseeable, for staff safety etc. It's easy to forget about the risks to staff bunched together in a kitchen even if you aren't going in and sitting down and mingling.

Do people think all takeaways should close, or is there scope for those who might manage to achieve separation in the kitchen to continue?

The Chinese somehow tasted better than ever, knowing that it was another thing you used to take for granted now gone for awhile.

Are you still getting Takeaways to the house? 117 votes

Yes and behaving with them as before Covid. Nothing has changed
    70% 82 votes
    Yes and taking some precautions when I do
    12% 15 votes
    Yes and taking lots of precautions when I do
    14% 17 votes
    No, I'm not taking the risk
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Takeaways shouldn't close. They should maybe do no touch deliveries. They could make a lot of money during this period (but of course health and people's lives are always more important than money)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Rufeo wrote: »
    Takeaways shouldn't close. They should maybe do no touch deliveries. They could make a lot of money during this period (but of course health and people's lives are always more important than money)

Yes, but there is the point about their staff working closely together, I'd imagine it's difficult to sort that problem out. Maybe in a chipper with 2 people, not sure about a busy Chinese etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Glebee

Dont think i will ever eat a Chineese again with all the talk of eating bats in china..

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Glebee wrote: »
    Dont think i will ever eat a Chineese again with all the talk of eating bats in china..

Which bit worries you? They are not serving bat that I know of!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

What does a few people eating bats have to do with Chinese in Ireland preparing your food?

Will you refrain from eating lasagna too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I hear bat is rich in protein and other essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

jesus, i could murder a chinese, sweet and sour chicken balls, crispy shredded chilli chicken,

...hungry now

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

leave the bats outta this man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Reminds me I am never listening to "Bat Out of Hell" again.:mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I hear bat is rich in protein and other essentials.

And some non essentials it appears!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The only person I know who is suspected of having it and is waiting for the test is a local delivery driver for 2 chippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
      Which bit worries you? They are not serving bat that I know of!

That's just it. You haven't clue. I haven't had a chinese in years. Cheapest of cheap meats used and god knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Everyone should support your local take away at the moment. Not the multinational chains but your local place. If you dont it wont be there when this is over. Plenty of places near me doing contactless collections and deliverys. Restraunts too, lots doing take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Supermacs open, need cheesy fries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Everyone should support your local take away at the moment. Not the multinational chains but your local place. If you dont it wont be there when this is over. Plenty of places near me doing contactless collections and deliverys. Restraunts too, lots doing take away.

Everyone should be cooking for themselves more. We have an obesity problem in this country.Obesity is one of the things that leads to underlying health conditions that clogged up hospitals before CV19 and will now compound this current crisis
      Take-away culture plays a big part in this. Never mind that places are closed down on a regular basis for failing very basic hygiene standards inspections.
      It would do no harm at all if people relied a lot less on takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
      Is Supermacs open, need cheesy fries

They seem to be but may be closing earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I was coming home from work this even. It was the first night in the past week that I saw people getting take-aways. Nobody was hanging around just collecting food.
      I'd probably chance. Most places are fairly clean in my area and some places are making an extra effort now.
      I'm not on getting stuff delivered tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

https://www.chewboom.com/2020/03/22/mcdonalds-is-shutting-down-every-restaurant-in-the-uk-and-ireland-by-7pm-monday-march-23-2020/

Im not sure this will solve the problem of young people congregating at them.

Most of these places have outdoor seating areas and this will continue to attract young people.

The drive throughs were only serving vehicular traffic & were mostly contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
      M

That's the good gone out of life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭bilbot79

We could do with a bit less McDo in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

OU812 wrote: »
      https://www.chewboom.com/2020/03/22/mcdonalds-is-shutting-down-every-restaurant-in-the-uk-and-ireland-by-7pm-monday-march-23-2020/

Im not sure this will solve the problem of young people congregating at them.

Most of these places have outdoor seating areas and this will continue to attract young people.

The drive throughs were only serving vehicular traffic & were mostly contactless.
      Probably more to do with the close proximity of staff,could have easily continued with the drive through where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

P'd assumed theyd be partially closing in the coming days , keeping the drive thrus open. Drive thru stores seem the ideal set up to keep going.

People may moan about the food but take aways should be booming during this id have thought. Especially with measures in place to keep it contactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

NATLOR wrote: »
      Probably more to do with the close proximity of staff,could have easily continued with the drive through where possible

You could keep a drive through going with 6 or 7 staff all not interacting closely with each other tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

tmg-article_tall;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

Are they paying their staff for the few weeks or telling them to sign-on?

That's the important question.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
      M

Most are on zero hour contracts, I'd say a week or 2 at most and then dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Takeaways are booming. Finally caved in Friday night and ordered my first chipper of the catastrophe, took quite a bit longer than normal.

Pity to scrap the drive through Mickey Ds TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Seeing how they famously offer people zero hour contracts I cant see them paying.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No harm if people cut down junk food for a while.

I'm surprised they didn't keep the take away option going though.

Advertisement