Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance and minor rear ending

• 20-03-2020 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

Right, so I bumped into the back of a car, very minor and what looked like superficial marks, the other persons car is over 10 years old, and mine is older.

Paint was scratched on their car but there was no damage apparent, ie the bumper wasnt broken, didnt appear to have moved, I offered to get it fixed even though I have full NCB protection.
    The person said they wanted to get it checked, which I understand, I gave them my details, but they very reluctantly gave me their first name only, I'm kicking myself as I dont have much information on them, other than the pictures we took of the cars. Im even wondering if they were the insured driver.

Anyway, I thought it might have been processed by now, but now Im unsure if they are claiming anything else on top.
    The insurer sent out an assessor though, he seemed like he expected more damage, which there was negligible on my car, my front bumber was pushed in a bit, but not headlight damage.

It's like the information that was forwarded to him seemed to be different based on his questions to me, ie he stated that the other party said the Gardai were called, which they weren't. Afterwards I was wondering if he was testing me for my answers as the Gardai were not called.

I'm more wondering about my renewal insurance now as its due in a few months, the damage amounted to scratched paintwork and I accept their right to get it repaired, but am wondering where it's going now and how it will affect my renewal, as mentioned, I have full NCB protection so I should get to keep that,
    I'm going to ring the insurer on monday but I think renewal quotes will be sent with 6-8 weeks in advance and Im not much longer than the higher of those, plus my car is older and Id like to keep it going, no problems but I dont know if they might refuse to renew or refuse to insure me on a similar aged or slightly newer car.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If someone starts acting the pr1ck like not giving you their full name, what you do is tell them that you will not file a report to your insurance company so they will not get an easy settlement and they will have to sue you personally and wait up three years (made that up) for the case to get to court. It's not something you'd actually do because it would expose you to the liabaility but it's a bluff I would use at the scene if someone was not being co-operative.

We had another thread only in the past few days where the OP read-ended someone who took a photo of his insurance disc and then did a runner. He then waited for the statute of limitations (6 months) to expire so he now cannot be prosecuted for failing to remain at the scene and is now claiming personal injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

1874 wrote: »
    Right, so I bumped into the back of a car, very minor and what looked like superficial marks, the other persons car is over 10 years old, and mine is older.

Paint was scratched on their car but there was no damage apparent, ie the bumper wasnt broken, didnt appear to have moved, I offered to get it fixed even though I have full NCB protection.
    The person said they wanted to get it checked, which I understand, I gave them my details, but they very reluctantly gave me their first name only, I'm kicking myself as I dont have much information on them, other than the pictures we took of the cars. Im even wondering if they were the insured driver.

Anyway, I thought it might have been processed by now, but now Im unsure if they are claiming anything else on top.
    The insurer sent out an assessor though, he seemed like he expected more damage, which there was negligible on my car, my front bumber was pushed in a bit, but not headlight damage.

It's like the information that was forwarded to him seemed to be different based on his questions to me, ie he stated that the other party said the Gardai were called, which they weren't. Afterwards I was wondering if he was testing me for my answers as the Gardai were not called.

I'm more wondering about my renewal insurance now as its due in a few months, the damage amounted to scratched paintwork and I accept their right to get it repaired, but am wondering where it's going now and how it will affect my renewal, as mentioned, I have full NCB protection so I should get to keep that,
    I'm going to ring the insurer on monday but I think renewal quotes will be sent with 6-8 weeks in advance and Im not much longer than the higher of those, plus my car is older and Id like to keep it going, no problems but I dont know if they might refuse to renew or refuse to insure me on a similar aged or slightly newer car.

Be very wary.. See thread below my relative minor rearended somebody no damage.. Other parties took picture of insurance disc but did not exchange there's and drove off and over a year latter solicitors letter arrived advising claim for personal injuries against my relative.. Minor accident advise.. Insurance hit them for 1000 euro increase last year for claim pending as she reported minor accident at time.. Due insurance renewal Dec this year so God knows what they will add on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

coylemj wrote: »
    If someone starts acting the pr1ck like not giving you their full name, what you do is tell them that you will not file a report to your insurance company so they will not get an easy settlement and they will have to sue you personally and wait up three years (made that up) for the case to get to court. It's not something you'd actually do because it would expose you to the liabaility but it's a bluff I would use at the scene if someone was not being co-operative.

Except anyone with any knowledge of how insurance claims work will know that it is a load of BS, and they will tell you where to go.

Advertisement