Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating during the Coronavirus lockdown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Covid has added other considerations to the already minefield of online dating

For example; I've matched with a Brazilian girl on Tinder in the last week and it looks like we've a bit in common

She's lived here since before Covid but my cautious mind is remembering how crazy social Brazilians are. Some make the Irish look tame!

There was also a post on here (or maybe Reddit Ireland) saying that many of of the younger demographics early hospital admissions in March and April in Dublin were Brazillians and Roma

So yeah. Another layer of complication (for now anyway) has been added to online dating for those of us being quite cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

It’s actually a serious issue that isn’t being given a single thought and just being completely ignored.
    Most of us single folk have gone over 4 months without any kind of sexual interaction now and we don’t have any end in sight to the sexual isolation.
    I’ve no doubt though when the pubs finally do open up that that the “horny single people looking for the ride” will be unfairly blamed for the next spike in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Whenever someone on Tinder/Bumble says yes.

The poll, in typical Boards polarizing fashion, has as many saying "From next week" as it has "I'll wait till 2022" ;)

What's next for dating during Covid, according to an anthropologist, pathogen expert, and love-life coach

https://www.businessinsider.com/dating-during-covid-19-according-to-three-experts-2020-6?r=US&IR=T

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

ShineOn7 wrote: »

You know we've reached peak covid hysteria when the public are being lectured on their sexual relations.

You know we've reached peak covid hysteria when the public are being lectured on their sexual relations.

The whole Socially Distance thing will have serious mental ramifications that aren't been talked about enough in the media tbh. The Irish media in particular have all but ignored it

Of course there's more pressing issues right now, like the airports and a possible wave 2 etc

But news media now exists in digital form, there's no "we don't have room in the newspaper for this kind of article" excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The whole Socially Distance thing will have serious mental ramifications that aren't been talked about enough in the media tbh

The Irish media in particular have all but ignored it

Of course there's more pressing issues right now, like the airports and a possible wave 2 etc

But news media now exists in digital form, there's no "we don't have room in the newspaper for this kind of article" excuse

It is easy to imagine how, in Ireland, the Catholic church was able to regulate social interactions for so long. Irish people are such a sexually repressed bunch.

It is easy to imagine how, in Ireland, the Catholic church was able to regulate social interactions for so long. Irish people are such a sexually repressed bunch.

The under 30s in Ireland definitely aren't sexually repressed :D

But yes, the over 50s and definitely over 60s are still in a mindset that was driven into them by the Irish Church

Thankfully we're moving on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The under 30s in Ireland definitely aren't sexually repressed :D

But yes, the over 50s and definitely over 60s are still in a mindset that was driven into them by the Irish Church

Thankfully we're moving on
    Ahem! Oldies are catching STIs!

https://extra.ie/2019/11/17/lifestyle/health/over-50s-stis-chlamydia-condom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I think the issue with dating is ridiculous, like we are coming into contact with people all the time regardless. Like first date, just for a coffee and walk etc, then if you think it has potential, go for meal and drink, cinema or whatever.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think the issue with dating is ridiculous, like we are coming into contact with people all the time regardless. Like first date, just for a coffee and walk etc, then if you think it has potential, go for meal and drink, cinema or whatever.

And when it gets to the date when you both get The Ride?

You're not just introducing a new member into your contact circle, you're going to be very intimate with them

Taking even bedroom fun out of it, early dates will be problematic/non existant for the cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Mr rebel wrote: »
    It’s actually a serious issue that isn’t being given a single thought and just being completely ignored.
    Most of us single folk have gone over 4 months without any kind of sexual interaction now and we don’t have any end in sight to the sexual isolation.
    I’ve no doubt though when the pubs finally do open up that that the “horny single people looking for the ride” will be unfairly blamed for the next spike in cases.

You could just as easily be talking about normal married life there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,244 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I met a girlie only a week ago and started courtin. Met the day before the pubs closed. Surely a good sign that its meant to last

So how's it going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Personally I think this is a positive for the dating scene. With sex off the table (for most adults who are following public guidelines), there is a chance at creating real & deep ‘relationships’.
    I haven’t been on the apps in a couple of years but I was so fed up of the oversexed conversations and general bs. I gave it up and started trying to meet people the old fashioned way (meet-ups, voluntary activities, clubs, etc).

Now not everyone will agree but I’m sure there’s a certain percentage that’s relieved that they can have more meaningful conversations online instead of instantly being sized up for sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Now not everyone will agree but I’m sure there’s a certain percentage that’s relieved that they can have more meaningful conversations online instead of instantly being sized up for sex.

I will agree with you to a point, unfortunately some simply won't have been following guidelines, and will have been meeting new partners and having sex during this pandemic, obviously potentially endangering many, this has a higher chance of occuring at this time of year also.

How can you have a meaningful relationship online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

How can you have a meaningful relationship online?

I was referring to the dating aspect. If you go for socially distanced dates - sex will be off the table for until there’s a certain amount of trust built up (or whenever the people feel it’s safe to do so).

I was referring to the dating aspect. If you go for socially distanced dates - sex will be off the table for until there’s a certain amount of trust built up (or whenever the people feel it’s safe to do so).

Among the sensible, even kissing is a no go for the foreseeable surely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Among the sensible, even kissing is a no go for the foreseeable surely

Sensible is absolutely subjective in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

Given up on all the dating apps.. No online speed dating scheduled for Cork for the foreseeable.
    Spinster life here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Why bother with socially distanced dates now?

We're free to meet friends and family now and go shopping and out to restaurants. There's as much risk of getting COVID while out and about as meeting one person, unless you're cocooning and totally isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

sex will be off the table for until there’s a certain amount of trust built up (or whenever the people feel it’s safe to do so).

Yeah best stick to the bed until then.

sorry:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So how's it going?

It only lasted a few weeks after. Rushed in too soon I think. Bit of a bummer

Young people are being asked to choose having sex online or over the phone to stop the spread of Covid-19.
    The new advice is designed to stop people having sex if they don't live together, if possible.

It says people should consider masturbating or having 'phone sex' or 'internet sex' to avoid close contact as the country continues to battle against the spread of the coronavirus.

The new information campaign from the HSE and the Irish Pharmacy Union (IPU) also said people should be washing their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds before and after sex.

In a letter to pharmacies this weekend, the HSE's safe sex and crisis pregnancy programme, and the IPU, said that "while sexual health may not be a primary healthcare focus in the current environment, as restrictions ease there is a strong possibility that heightened sexual risk-taking will occur and people's sexual health and wellbeing will be affected.

"Young adults, in particular, are affected by crisis pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections and are more likely to engage in sexual activity with more than one partner.

"It is very important that accurate and trustworthy information is freely available to inform sexual health decision-making, particularly during the pandemic," the letter said.

There has been a renewed increase in the role that young people play in the spread of Covid-19 as lockdown restrictions were eased in recent weeks.

Because they are less likely to experience serious symptoms, there has been criticism from some quarters about a lack of social distancing and the organising of house parties and other social events among young people.

However, there has been a rise in cases among younger people as restrictions were eased, including in the 25-44 age group.

Full article

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/have-sex-online-to-limit-spread-of-virus-advises-hse-39417584.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Completely laughable

I went into a coffee shop this morning and was served by an attractive girl. When she was handing me my coffee there was a brief moment where our hands touched and she smiled at me through the perspex. That's the most intimacy I've had in the last 6 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I went into a coffee shop this morning and was served by an attractive girl. When she was handing me my coffee there was a brief moment where our hands touched and she smiled at me through the perspex. That's the most intimacy I've had in the last 6 months.

Hope ye were wearing protection.

Gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Been getting on well with a lad on Tinder. He seems genuine and responsible but there’s only so far you can take a relationship without physical contact and for that reason I don’t see it going far

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Been getting on well with a lad on Tinder. He seems genuine and responsible but there’s only so far you can take a relationship without physical contact and for that reason I don’t see it going far

Yeah I know the feeling (except for me, it's women ;) )

Tinder and Bumble are just for distraction these days. I think both sides, if they're being cautious, know it's never going to lead to anything

I heard of another new app earlier called Hinge and Facebook launched Facebook Dating this week too

Are they all off their heads pumping money into this in 2020? I think so, but their research must be showing different

Advertisement