Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

But most of them have been murder by other black men ??

Logic is a tool of the oppressive structure.

"The causes of stabbings in the black community cannot be understood from intellectual positions"

Here are a few profits of the intersectional religion to decree why exactly.

Just look at the word play here it's phenomenal:
    • Although the majority of black boys in London achieve well in school and thereafter
    • black boys in London are massively over-represented in stabbings
    • black-on-black violence is significantly gang-related
    • gangs in London are crime-focused
    • the age of recruitment and grooming of young people for gang activity is dropping to primary school levels
    • Poverty and deprivation can drive boys and young men into violent criminal activity.
    • When male role models for these boys are neighbourhood gang elders (often replacing absent fathers) and a “gangsta” culture prevails, the boys stand little chance of escaping.

The view this as an issue that includes race is racist, because that would be marginalizing people and painting everyone with the one brush.
    To view this as an issue that is a problem with men is ok, condoned, encouraged and we'll even give you a slap on the back. Who cares about them eh? Am I right? Who's with me! Yeah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

2u2me wrote: »
    Logic is a tool of the oppressive structure.

"The causes of stabbings in the black community cannot be understood from intellectual positions"

Here are a few profits of the intersectional religion to decree why exactly.

Just look at the word play here it's phenomenal:
    • Although the majority of black boys in London achieve well in school and thereafter
    • black boys in London are massively over-represented in stabbings
    • black-on-black violence is significantly gang-related
    • gangs in London are crime-focused
    • the age of recruitment and grooming of young people for gang activity is dropping to primary school levels
    • Poverty and deprivation can drive boys and young men into violent criminal activity.
    • When male role models for these boys are neighbourhood gang elders (often replacing absent fathers) and a “gangsta” culture prevails, the boys stand little chance of escaping.

The view this as an issue that includes race is racist, because that would be marginalizing people and painting everyone with the one brush.
    To view this as an issue that is a problem with men is ok, condoned, encouraged and we'll even give you a slap on the back. Who cares about them eh? Am I right? Who's with me! Yeah! :D
    I don't see what yiu are saying here. The stabbings in London are down to culture and poverty primarily. I'd disagree with none of those bullet points.

I don't see what yiu are saying here. The stabbings in London are down to culture and poverty primarily. I'd disagree with none of those bullet points.

I'm not arguing with the reasons for black-on-black violence, only that they say it is racist to even mention it, while in another breath happy to state that it is male-on-male violence.
    "Black-on-black violence is a myth created by a section of the law and order lobby to facilitate an acceptance by the black community of intrusive policing techniques. "

See it's a myth created to further racism.

No-where have I found them saying something like "Male-on-Male violence is a myth created to..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

The racism scandal in Guangzhou is very sad. I have spoken with a number of poeple there including Indians and they say they have no issue and that the issue with the african community is that such large numbers refuse to report symptoms or get tested and that is mainly down to so many of them no having a legal status in China. It seems the reason (according to my Indian contacts) that the other nationalities don't have the issues is all down to their visa status and africans with the correct visa can also get the tests and QR code to show they are clear. Without the QR code, you are not going shopping or doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I'm not arguing with the reasons for black-on-black violence, only that they say it is racist to even mention it, while in another breath happy to state that it is male-on-male violence.

See it's a myth created to further racism.

No-where have I found them saying something like "Male-on-Male violence is a myth created to..."
    Ah right. I was lazy and didn't read your link :D

• Advertisement

The racism scandal in Guangzhou is very sad. I have spoken with a number of poeple there including Indians and they say they have no issue and that the issue with the african community is that such large numbers refuse to report symptoms or get tested and that is mainly down to so many of them no having a legal status in China. It seems the reason (according to my Indian contacts) that the other nationalities don't have the issues is all down to their visa status and africans with the correct visa can also get the tests and QR code to show they are clear. Without the QR code, you are not going shopping or doing anything.

Guangzhou is probably the strongest case of racism in China TBH. They're very against black people there, and yet, it probably has one of the largest populations of black migrants (students, workers, etc). A lot of the attitude from Chinese people regarding them is genuine racism. Black people are considered sub-human due to traditional Chinese culture, which connects dark skin with social status. ie, working in the fields meaning darkened skin. Black people, naturally, being blacker than any Chinese peasant, reinforces the cultural negative.

However, there is also the aspect of behavior. I've been to Guangzhou and I've seen how various parts of the Black community behaves over there, breaking laws, or engaging in violence. I think part of the problem is that of groups. White people tend to travel alone and while they'll make small groups of friends, you never really see a pack of them. Whereas with black people, they go most places in big groups. So, when there is conflict, white people are more likely to seek peaceful ways to resolve the issue, whereas the black people are in a stronger position, and respond with force. I'm not making this a race thing, exactly, but more of a cultural one. That's not to say that white people are innocent in China. They're not.. Definitely not. It is worth considering that collective responsibility is applied in China towards foreigners.. and black people will be held to be associated with each other.

I'm not seeking to excuse the racism, the actual racism, that goes on.. but I do seek to understand it. And to appreciate that there are other factors at play too. Just as such behavior happens in western countries too.

As for being an illegal migrant to China.... anyone who does that is a frickin idiot, and I have zero sympathy for them. China is a police state with a paranoia about foreigners. Each time a foreigner breaks the laws/rules, it feeds that paranoia.. so... nope. Any foreigner there illegally (white/black/asian/etc) is a moron. There are far safer and more welcoming countries all across the world than China.. and the Chinese have always been up front about it. Come legally, behave yourself, and you'll have a reasonably safe experience.. without any serious issues. In my experience, that holds true.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Could the perceived racism be in any way linked to jealousy and resentment rather than actual racism? Has any study been done from that perspective? Have members of the indigenous population been left homeless, been refused medical cards, been refused school places for their children etc. while observing that non natives in the countries mentioned have these advantages handed to them without question?

Perhaps the root of the problem lies at the door of those charged with treating all equally who sometimes appear to bend over backwards to not appear racist by putting one race above another in sharing access to housing, education and health.

This attitude could indeed foster anger and resentment which has no basis in racism rather in a lack of understanding how the system currently operates in the manner which is does.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Could the perceived racism be in any way linked to jealousy and resentment rather than actual racism? Has any study been done from that perspective? Have members of the indigenous population been left homeless, been refused medical cards, been refused school places for their children etc. while observing that non natives in the countries mentioned have these advantages handed to them without question?

Perhaps the root of the problem lies at the door of those charged with treating all equally who sometimes appear to bend over backwards to not appear racist by putting one race above another in sharing access to housing, education and health.

This attitude could indeed foster anger and resentment which has no basis in racism rather in a lack of understanding how the system currently operates in the manner which is does.

Good post.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Has any study been done from that perspective? Have members of the indigenous population been left homeless, been refused medical cards, been refused school places for their children etc. while observing that non natives in the countries mentioned have these advantages handed to them without question?

Kind of sounds like a bet between brothers Randolph and Mortimer in the movie "Trading Places" :D(one of my all time favourites)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It's pretty common on social media and forums. usually it will either take the form of a joke or be followed up with "just stating facts"

facts aren't racist.

• Advertisement

facts aren't racist.

It's rare these days for people to see the actual facts. Instead, everything comes down to a study with a overview or the perception of the experts involved being put forward. Even when we see actual statistics, quite often, someone has extracted those particular figures. Nobody really sees the raw data anymore beyond the research group.

In this age of agenda driven research, we are expected to trust "experts".

I'm not saying you're wrong... but I'd be careful of stating something is a fact nowadays... unless I'd seen the in-depth or full research paper, rather than a ten page brief, which is what most people rarely go beyond...

TBH I suspect everything is racist now, because we've lost control of our language. Ever notice how people post definitions from online sources, but they're rarely the definition you learned in school? ;) Racism certainly isn't the same as it was thirty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My biggest fear is that the Left are making such a big deal of identity, that race relations in the West are going to get worse, not better.

I have noticed in the UK that black ppl are more and more talking about their 'heritage'. By that measure I should ask the Brits to compensate me for the Black and Tans entering my grandmothers and great grandmothers house decades ago.

I don't hold any chip on my shoulder about this towards the English, but I do understand how my parents can. Yet I see the Left encouraging black ppl to keep this resentment going and cynic me thinks they will do along with it to gain some kind of advance, whatever advantage that would be.

I had a great time living in England as an Irish person. I can only recall one small incident where after a IRA terrorist attack a co-worker said 'that's your lot'. That was it. And in my experience blacks are actually well liked, and so many of them are well integrated, as British as anyone else. It was only a small few that had that infamous 'attitude'. Jamaicans mostly, not African blacks. That's my experience.

AllForIt wrote: »
    My biggest fear is that the Left are making such a big deal of identity, that race relations in the West are going to get worse, not better.

It's mad how far removed it now is from the original civil right's movement.
    "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
    I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
    I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood."

What would he make of this current movement?

It's mad how far removed it now is from the original civil right's movement.

What would he make of this current movement?

I doubt he would have been very surprised. Wasn't he around at the same time as the Black Panthers and Malcolm X?

After all, "Black lives matter" :rolleyes:

Guangzhou is probably the strongest case of racism in China TBH. They're very against black people there, and yet, it probably has one of the largest populations of black migrants (students, workers, etc). A lot of the attitude from Chinese people regarding them is genuine racism. Black people are considered sub-human due to traditional Chinese culture, which connects dark skin with social status. ie, working in the fields meaning darkened skin. Black people, naturally, being blacker than any Chinese peasant, reinforces the cultural negative.

However, there is also the aspect of behavior. I've been to Guangzhou and I've seen how various parts of the Black community behaves over there, breaking laws, or engaging in violence. I think part of the problem is that of groups. White people tend to travel alone and while they'll make small groups of friends, you never really see a pack of them. Whereas with black people, they go most places in big groups. So, when there is conflict, white people are more likely to seek peaceful ways to resolve the issue, whereas the black people are in a stronger position, and respond with force. I'm not making this a race thing, exactly, but more of a cultural one. That's not to say that white people are innocent in China. They're not.. Definitely not. It is worth considering that collective responsibility is applied in China towards foreigners.. and black people will be held to be associated with each other.

I'm not seeking to excuse the racism, the actual racism, that goes on.. but I do seek to understand it. And to appreciate that there are other factors at play too. Just as such behavior happens in western countries too.

As for being an illegal migrant to China.... anyone who does that is a frickin idiot, and I have zero sympathy for them. China is a police state with a paranoia about foreigners. Each time a foreigner breaks the laws/rules, it feeds that paranoia.. so... nope. Any foreigner there illegally (white/black/asian/etc) is a moron. There are far safer and more welcoming countries all across the world than China.. and the Chinese have always been up front about it. Come legally, behave yourself, and you'll have a reasonably safe experience.. without any serious issues. In my experience, that holds true.

Bit of a white washed view. A disproportionate amount of migrants to China (european, north american or african) have questionable visa status. (imagine if China had a UKIP type party, these would be total cat nip)

Lot's of western foreigners have to take that little trip to HK, Seoul or whereever every so often to get the traveling visa updated. The min I hear that I always know they are illegal. This is extremly common.

For a police state you've a pretty badly behaved "expat" community which has been getting away with it for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,060 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Bit of a white washed view.

An experienced, and pragmatic viewpoint.
    A disproportionate amount of migrants to China (european, north american or african) have questionable visa status. (imagine if China had a UKIP type party, these would be total cat nip)

Source?

In my experience the vast majority of foreigners come over on teaching or student visas, with business visas coming a close third. Most of those will renew their visas correctly, but there are some who will try to stay without having a visa, and so become those living in the shadows. It's an extremely dodgy existence. Perfectly doable ten/fifteen years ago, but with prosperity comes less of a need for those people, since people who qualify for visas become more common. I know people who have lived in China for extended periods without visas, but eventually they were all caught and deported.
    Lot's of western foreigners have to take that little trip to HK, Seoul or whereever every so often to get the traveling visa updated. The min I hear that I always know they are illegal. This is extremly common.

It used to be common. Most of the loop holes have been closed, plus it's become rather expensive to do. Some will continue to do it, but their days are numbered. The PSB is constantly improving their ability to track foreigners...
    For a police state you've a pretty badly behaved "expat" community which has been getting away with it for decades.

I know... but then that's the problem with many foreigners. They think that China doesn't change in all things. They cherrypick as to what to accept and what to ignore. The amount of technological change in China is rather impressive in terms of their administrative capabilities.. but many foreigners like to pretend that the old rules or old preferences remain. In most cases, they're disappearing, and those who break the rules are going to be caught, punished and/or deported.

The other problem with the expat community is a lack of personal responsibility. I know guys who have picked fights, and then complained when they got arrested. We know that preference is given to Chinese people over foreigners in all things official... but some expats will ignore the realities of our situation, and think they're somehow special.. and when things go sideways, they declare it's all so unreasonable. Nope. The expat was just a retard. Sure, there are many cases where an expat has done everything right and still gotten into trouble. There is a tightrope of culture to creep across at times, but most of the cases, I know of, where expats getting into trouble.. the expat themselves placed themselves in that situation. Their background, their behavior, etc.

I keep saying this to people, but they pretend it's not true. China is a police state. It's not that welcoming to foreigners, and that's not going to change. We are there on sufferance... on borrowed time.. and our behavior is monitored. Anyone who can't accept that, shouldn't be seeking to live in China. It's not racial. It's cultural. The same thing applied to ABC's (American born Chinese), or any other non-China born Chinese person..

is there any predominantly non white country where white people regularly try to remain illegally and petition for visa amnesties / lobby for citizenship to do so ?

is there any predominantly non white country where white people regularly try to remain illegally and petition for visa amnesties / lobby for citizenship to do so ?

Irish in the US

Irish in the US

predominantly non white....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, because pretty much all non white countries are shtholes. And I guess it's racist to say it. Except for maybe South Korea and Japan, but they are a particular kind of non white.

Cordell wrote: »
    No, because pretty much all non white countries are shtholes. And I guess it's racist to say it. Except for maybe South Korea and Japan, but they are a particular kind of non white.

Or they have a massive anti white racism issue, Ala white farmers in Zimbabwe, how white people are prime targets for robbery in South America, or just countries like Japan that stop them immigrating full stop.

Thailand. I've lived there I can safely say I saw many "white" people over-staying visas.

I think its one of the most visited countries in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Thailand. I've lived there I can safely say I saw many "white" people over-staying visas.

True. Was there for 2 years in the 90s and did the visa runs to Penang every 3 months.

How developed due you think South Korea or Taiwan is? I would rather live in Sinkers or KL.

You are not very well travelled are you?

Ok, so that one. Do those people cost the Thai government a lot of money ? are those people claiming Thai welfare ? are they responsible for a lot of crime in Thailand ? does the government give them free housing ?

Ok, so that one. Do those people cost the Thai government a lot of money ? are those people claiming Thai welfare ? are they responsible for a lot of crime in Thailand ? does the government give them free housing ?

Crime, yeah. Some are real dodgy folk actually.

You could argue that the same elements have fled the US for Mexico

Crime, yeah. Some are real dodgy folk actually.

ok so just crime. Is that predominantly against tourists or the locals ? what do the Thai police do when they catch these people ?

• Advertisement

ok so just crime. Is that predominantly against tourists or the locals ? what do the Thai police do when they catch these people ?

Depends on the crime. Drugs and explotation is mainly targeted at other foreigners. Sex crimes targeted mainly at locals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement