Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

https://twitter.com/deboscooo/status/1266864640962760711?s=20
    Yep proud black sister who has straightened her hair, is that cultural appropriation that i read about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

RTE was at the protest in Dublin and interviewed one lad and the first thing he comes out with is how racist all the Irish are and comparing us to whats happening in the USA.

It's like the incident in Salthill the last day where 40 teenagers were abusing and physically assaulting Gardai, one black lad among them was screaming about police brutality, get your hands off me, this isn't happening in Ireland like it is in the US, etc.

The guards were literally just asking them to move on. It was the softest approach imaginable, Gardai being screamed at, some of them having been assaulted, and they just asked them to disperse and move on.

Pretty much anywhere else in Europe and the batons and pepper spray would be out and mass arrests would follow.

The video was then shared on Twitter as "Irish police are racist". But, a rare win on Twitter, it was so widely ridiculed the person deleted it.

It's really irritating to see some 2nd generation African children, who grew up in Ireland, adopting this identity of a black person in a particularly low socio-economic demograph in the US.

Acting like they've been equally wronged and oppressed by the Irish state, when they've known nothing but a stable, broadly welcoming society and a far better life than their parents had.

Curiously this only extends to the US; they don't seem to give a damn about the black people living in genuine hardship and under the thumb in countries all over the world.

edit: Just for clarity, I said some - not suggesting anything other than a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Homelander wrote: »
    It's like the incident in Salthill the last day where 40 teenagers were abusing and physically assaulting Gardai, one black lad among them was screaming about police brutality, get your hands off me, this isn't happening in Ireland like it is in the US, etc.

The guards were literally just asking them to move on. It was the softest approach imaginable, Gardai being screamed at, some of them having been assaulted, and they just asked them to disperse and move on.

Pretty much anywhere else in Europe and the batons and pepper spray would be out and mass arrests would follow.

The video was then shared on Twitter as "Irish police are racist". But, a rare win on Twitter, it was so widely ridiculed the person deleted it.

It's really irritating to see some 2nd generation African children, who grew up in Ireland, adopting this identity of a black person in a particularly low socio-economic demograph in the US.

Acting like they've been equally wronged and oppressed by the Irish state, when they've known nothing but a stable, broadly welcoming society and a far better life than their parents had.

Curiously this only extends to the US; they don't seem to give a damn about the black people living in genuine hardship and under the thumb in countries all over the world.

edit: Just for clarity, I said some - not suggesting anything other than a minority.

Want to hear something better?

There are lots of people buying into it now and agreeing with the young man. Even the bus driver is a institutional racist now. Ireland is racist to its core apparently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Labour will only ever be a minority partner at best. They will never have enough power.

You know what someone should do? Start a boards wide poll on a new thread to see what the opinion is. There is a solid mix of people on here. I'd be interested to see the result

Edit: I just did a "latest " Twitter search on the 27th Amendment. No shortage of calls for it to be repealed. Apparently its racist.
    Don't know how that is but that's what they are calling it.

That referendum will be held around 2025 and if you don't vote for repeal you are a fcuking racist. Storing up a lot of needless problems.

statesaver wrote: »
    That referendum will be held around 2025 and if you don't vote for repeal you are a fcuking racist. Storing up a lot of needless problems.

Excuse me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Excuse me

I'm being sarcastic.

I agree with you

statesaver wrote: »

After almost 5 months being back posting on boards, being called a racist no longer has the negatives I previously associated it with... So.. I'm fine being called a racist now.. it simply means someone with a different opinion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

TBH It's hard to respect someone who calls his friends N*****,

Been a term of endearment between black friends for as long as I've been alive and I'm not that young. Genuine question what's your issue here?

cian68 wrote: »
    Been a term of endearment between black friends for as long as I've been alive and I'm not that young. Genuine question what's your issue here?

When a term can be made exclusive as endearment (debatable) for one group, and a word of unquestioned hate/racism for everyone else... that I take issue with.

Personally, I'd be happy with the word being allowed to disappear. You cannot complain about it's use from other groups, when you're actively promoting its use.. and that use often has a myriad of meanings..

Oh, and I don't know what your age has got to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

cian68 wrote: »

Its utterly horrible. It is a term of abuse. I know its not intended as abuse but that is what the word mean. That is the connotation.

• Advertisement

Its utterly horrible. It is a term of abuse. I know its not intended as abuse but that is what the word mean. That is the connotation.

A word is just noise when it is devoid of context. A word can't be horrible. Its meaning and intent can be.

Would I use the word in polite conversation? No chance. Would I say it around people who understand I mean no offense by it? Absolutely.

What other words are forbidden in your lexicon?

A word is just noise when it is devoid of context. A word can't be horrible. Its meaning and intent can be.

Would I use the word in polite conversation? No chance. Would I say it around people who understand I mean no offense by it? Absolutely.

Usually, I would agree with you about the meaning of words... The N word is different. Pop culture (movies, music, etc) and education has ensured that it has a strong negative meaning when white people use it towards a back person.

"The term ****** is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. The senses labeled Extremely Disparaging and Offensive represent meanings that are deeply insulting and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. It is so profoundly offensive that a euphemism has developed for those occasions when the word itself must be discussed, as in court or in a newspaper editorial: “the n-word.”

Despite this, the sense referring to a “black person” is sometimes used self-referentially among African Americans in a neutral or familiar way. The sense referring to other victims of prejudice, especially when used descriptively, as to denounce that prejudice, is not normally considered disparaging—as in “The Irish are the **** of Europe” from Roddy Doyle's The Commitments —but the other uses are considered contemptuous and hostile.
    " Dictionary.com

Its a double standard. That it's okay for Black people to use the word, but wrong for everyone else. I don't like double standards in these situations because IMHO one of the main reasons why racism is a problem in the US (or other nations) is that people/governments allow it to become complicated. Clearly defined lines of behavior to show what is racist. That's what people need... otherwise, it just breeds frustration, which leads to the dark side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am referring to the cultural context of the word. Look I am a complete libertarian. People can do what they want but think people curse too much. I dont like it and the N is one very loaded curse and loads of African Americans would share my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

RTE was at the protest in Dublin and interviewed one lad and the first thing he comes out with is how racist all the Irish are and comparing us to whats happening in the USA.

He would want to brush up on his history, blacks were slaves in America from the 17th to the 19th century and got a raw deal for the next 100 years after slavery was abolished.

Here in Ireland those that did come here weren't put in chains last time I checked but were given every opportunity have a better life for themselves.

No fear RTE asked him to explain why there are so many Africans on welfare but sure even if they did he would blame it all on whitey.

The Irish Times did the same. Several interviews with African-Irish who described racism permeating Irish society, without giving any examples or being challenged to do so, one even described "silent racism" whereby she encounters no racist sentiment but just knows it's there.

I sympathise with any of them who did encounter genuine racism in Ireland but considering we gave their families a home here, along with plenty of social supports paid for by Irish people's hard work, it would be nice if they returned the favour by not breaking the lockdown en masse to spread Coronavirus. This last issue was something else the Irish Times ignored, along with most media. It seems Gemma and John's small gang of nutters protesting is a travesty but thousands protesting about something 3,000 miles away is A-OK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/frustrated-and-angry-thousands-march-in-dublin-to-protest-death-of-george-floyd-1.4268066

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The Irish Times did the same. Several interviews with African-Irish who described racism permeating Irish society, without giving any examples or being challenged to do so, one even described "silent racism" whereby she encounters no racist sentiment but just knows it's there.

I sympathise with any of them who did encounter genuine racism in Ireland but considering we gave their families a home here, along with plenty of social supports paid for by Irish people's hard work, it would be nice if they returned the favour by not breaking the lockdown en masse to spread Coronavirus. This last issue was something else the Irish Times ignored, along with most media. It seems Gemma and John's small gang of nutters protesting is a travesty but thousands protesting about something 3,000 miles away is A-OK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/frustrated-and-angry-thousands-march-in-dublin-to-protest-death-of-george-floyd-1.4268066

Ciara Kelly throwing out her favourite line: it makes me sick to my stomach.

Brings out Asian heritage Hazel Chu, then some woman living in direct provision.

One question about the states. One question about social distancing at the march. 35 questions about how racist are the Irish .

Division, division, division

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Our Govt are racists.

Direct Provision is racist.

Our Govt are racists.

Rubbish. Direct provision isn't racist. It's based on immigration for asylum seekers. Regardless of race.

The difference being that the vast majority of "whites" coming into Ireland have the educational background or the financial means to avail of legal migration and support themselves. (by either having reserve funds, or the ability to gain employment immediately)

Our government is just incredibly inefficient, and unwilling to deal with the harsh truths, which would result in improvements to the overall system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Our Govt are racists.

Don't you just love how the media is all "White People are Evil" yet so many non-Whites risk life and limb to get to our Countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Our Govt are racists.

You just have to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

When we get over the apparent fact we’re all racist can we move on?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Our Govt are racists.

aren't we all now ,

especially you apparently

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Don't you just love how the media is all "White People are Evil" yet so many non-Whites risk life and limb to get to our Countries?

Seems a growing number of white people apparently hate their own race so much, that they need to make **** up to justify that hate. Of course, they're the minority who aren't deserving of any hate, since they're somehow enlightened. :rolleyes:

mynamejeff wrote: »
    aren't we all now ,

especially you apparently

It’s proving a real stumbling block of an initial hurdle. Let’s move on folks

Bobblehats wrote: »
    When we get over the apparent fact we’re all racist can we move on?

To where? :D

To where? :D

Not sure. Escape to the Country is on though

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Not sure. Escape to the Country is on though

I've had 5 months in the countryside... going more than a little insane now. Be glad when the airports open again properly, and I can return to China.

Those who complain about Racism in Ireland should try a year or two in China. They'd be far more patient and forgiving about it all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Seems a growing number of white people apparently hate their own race so much, that they need to make **** up to justify that hate. Of course, they're the minority who aren't deserving of any hate, since they're somehow enlightened. :rolleyes:

What do we expect now with our children having it being drummed into their heads that they're bad people just because they're white? And we also shocked at the alarming rate of mental health issues in the West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

Y'know, you'd be forgiven for thinking Boards is an American site if you went by threads like this. Who in the **** in this country is "drumming into the heads" of kids that they're bad because they're white? Seriously, go outside and talk to some real Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    What do we expect now with our children having it being drummed into their heads that they're bad people just because they're white? And we also shocked at the alarming rate of mental health issues in the West.

You have examples of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Odhinn wrote: »
    You have examples of this?

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2020/0601/1143769-4-books-to-read-to-be-a-better-white-ally/

"2. Me and White Supremacy: How to Recognise Your Privilege, Combat Racism and Change the World by Layla Saad
    One of the most damaging things about white privilege is that those who benefit from it often have a limited understanding of its existence. Me and White Supremacy educates readers on how to recognise and counter the privilege within themselves so that they can correct unconsciously damaging behaviours and help other white people to do better too.

Filled with practical exercises, this is a go-to resource for anyone who wants to confront racial prejudices within themselves and have the right tools, language and knowledge join the fight."

Or,

"White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo

This New York Times bestseller explores the unhelpful reactions that white people have when they’re confronted by their privilege – such as countering with ‘reverse racism’ – and how shutting down these conversations works to maintain racial prejudices.

Provocative and articulate, DiAngelo’s book sets out to explain how racism continues to be at the heart of American society and how all of us are helping to hold it in place by not asking more questions and demanding more answers. An important read for those who want to help to push the conversation forward and galvanise change faster."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement