Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I see the journal.ie are deleting tweets left right and center on any news story if some one has a different view of the irish are not racist, I've seen on Twitter a lot of young irish poc have a problem with us wyt crackers( not my words), if a POC has a relationship with a whitey their called out on it, called treater, blanked etc, christ we opened the doors open handed brought their parents/grandparents into the country, life is good here for everyone, you can make it if you want if not there's a safety net( house, money every week, food banks,there is help out there), but come on their is race baters out their and the likes of the irish media are lapping them up at the expense of the ordinary person who just wants to get on with their lives, stop with trying to make a divide, ya have one life enjoy the best ya can, for the ones trying to bring ya down there's a saying, water of a ducks back ( can I use this saying or has it another meaning now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yes, and no. They're involved... but it is the community organisations/leaders who are driving this. They know that to gain privilege in the west. they need to tick certain boxes... Social instability benefits them.

"Community Leader" in any context is a dubious term.
    Think of any "community leaders" you've known, including ones in your own community. Some may be genuine but IME most are somewhere on the spectrum between self-appointed busybody, opportunist and in some cases "reformed" gangster/terrorist on the make (eg NI and in some disadvantaged areas down here).
    I'm not convinced that "community leaders" in the African-Irish community are on the whole any better or any more representative of their communities, which is why I make a distinction between the them and African-Irish in general (the majority of whom I've had positive dealings with).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

owlbethere wrote: »
    I watched that piece on the news yesterday evening and I thought - so she sits in a waiting room for a job interview with others and she doesn't get the job/s and how does she know she's more qualified than the others attending the interview? Was she given the chance to read the other peoples CVs?

Half of the country was out of work because of the crash and found it hard to get work. Its racism.

All I saw was someone who was feeling hard done by in life and relating it back to her skin colour - because she was black.

The media will push the narrative that we are such a racist little country and the population will lap it up hook, line and sinker.

God love her, what about all the Irish that had to emigrate to find work during the recession . I went from earning over a grand a week, to working in a shop for 300 during the recession , worked there for 2 years because there was no work . There's was 50 people working in that shop and not one African . I worked on building sites for 20 years and never seen a black person working in one, except the odd one doing security, is that racism or maybe with they money they get off the government it's hardly worth there while getting up at half 6 every morning.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    "Community Leader" in any context is a dubious term.
    Think of any "community leaders" you've known, including ones in your own community. Some may be genuine but IME most are somewhere on the spectrum between self-appointed busybody, opportunist and in some cases "reformed" gangster/terrorist on the make (eg NI and in some disadvantaged areas down here).
    I'm not convinced that "community leaders" in the African-Irish community are on the whole any better or any more representative of their communities, which is why I make a distinction between the them and African-Irish in general (the majority of whom I've had positive dealings with).

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Nice payback for being given a safe haven from whatever ****hole their family fled from.

I see this post infracted with the following -
    "****hole", really? Can you not even attempt to get your point across without trying to stir things up?

Really.

Straightforward moderator hypocrisy.

I have reported at least FOUR times, this -
    -
    This is what Current Affairs has become. A place where tinfoil hatters crywank about the destruction of white Ireland.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113606792&postcount=536

Talk about trying to stir things up. A worthless, ignorant, potty-mouth post that breaks at least two rules of the forum.

No action taken.

Sh1t, biased moderators.

Shove your ban up your hole, while you're at it.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth lads, the fact your allows chat is a big deal especially as most chats devolve into the same people bickering back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I don't know what the situation is like in Nigeria, or was 15 years ago, but I wouldn't take his word as gospel, of course he's going to talk up his own country
    They have excellent financial systems there. I sold my house and transferred the proceeds to an investment fund in Lagos. I'm due a 85% return on my investment within two years according to my broker Lucky Ripyou

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I see the journal.ie are deleting tweets left right and center on any news story if some one has a different view of the irish are not racist, I've seen on Twitter a lot of young irish poc have a problem with us wyt crackers( not my words), if a POC has a relationship with a whitey their called out on it, called treater, blanked etc, christ we opened the doors open handed brought their parents/grandparents into the country, life is good here for everyone, you can make it if you want if not there's a safety net( house, money every week, food banks,there is help out there), but come on their is race baters out their and the likes of the irish media are lapping them up at the expense of the ordinary person who just wants to get on with their lives, stop with trying to make a divide, ya have one life enjoy the best ya can, for the ones trying to bring ya down there's a saying, water of a ducks back ( can I use this saying or has it another meaning now)

The Journal and The Irish Times are the go too sources of news for upper middle class lefties who like to show how right on they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The Journal and The Irish Times are the go too sources of news for upper middle class lefties who like to show how right on they are.
    I hear the four top earners in R.T.E. are opening their houses to asylum seekers who cant get accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

All this talk about racism is purely a smoke screen.

The big goals here for the Left/Liberals are and end to direct provision, increased visas/migration from places like Africa and quotas for jobs/college places/housing etc.
    Oh, loads more funding for NGO's who support migrant causes.

The IT with their editorial today alluding to quotas in the public service. It's started...

jay0109 wrote: »
    All this talk about racism is purely a smoke screen.

The big goals here for the Left/Liberals are and end to direct provision, increased visas/migration from places like Africa and quotas for jobs/college places/housing etc.
    Oh, loads more funding for NGO's who support migrant causes.

The IT with their editorial today calling alluding to quotas in the public service. It's started...

Which article was that? the one about teachers? They would have to break the back of the union before that would happen and quotas would result in a disproportionate representation.

I don't believe there are barriers to entry for anyone who wants to go into teaching in Ireland so nothing stopping anyone who wants it right now.

The ratios on that aren't good, seems to be a nice cosy little group that Zappone has been running. Hopefully with her out we shall see a drought in that area and they fall back into obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Jesas Christ.... did you see the contributions from two or three of the younger commentators... never worked or contributed to anything in their life so far.... educated to leaving cert standard at best... and telling anyone who doesn’t come out with their pc bull****e that they must educate themselves !!! Pack of fukin idiots ... probably spend their weekends apologisin for their white privilege... retards

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Youtuber Gearoid Murphy was doing a livestream tonight and discussing the racially motivated attack on a teenager in Limerick by a group of black youths. He was kicked off youtube mid stream, seems like there are certain criminal activities you are not allowed to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

White man bad, black man good, that's all ngo's official policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Youtuber Gearoid Murphy was doing a livestream tonight and discussing the racially motivated attack on a teenager in Limerick by a group of black youths. He was kicked off youtube mid stream, seems like there are certain criminal activities you are not allowed to discuss.

Has that been verified as 'real' anywhere?

I mean that it was recent and not staged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

LillySV wrote: »
    Jesas Christ.... did you see the contributions from two or three of the younger commentators... never worked or contributed to anything in their life so far.... educated to leaving cert standard at best... and telling anyone who doesn’t come out with their pc bull****e that they must educate themselves !!! Pack of fukin idiots ... probably spend their weekends apologisin for their white privilege... retards

Since when did Irish people have to start checking their “white privilege” ?? Lol kids only out of school Telling us to educate ourselves wtf that twitter trend is a car wreck! The young lad with the initials MR needs a good kick up the hole!! Thankfully looking at the fools involved this will blow over when they move onto the next fashionable cause eejets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

Exactly. The trouble with the younger commentators is that they have no memory before the Celtic Tiger era. No memory of high unemployment, punishing taxation, cutbacks, limited opportunities, the Catholic church's stranglehold on everyday life. It was a long fight to get where we are today, and we made good use of EEC/EC funding of our third level education and infrastructure, and multinationals setting up shop here. We were helped but we made good use of that help and it was a collective achievement to be proud of. And anyone whose ancestors had nothing to do with this achievement and who has just turned up here uninvited, should be grateful and honoured to be allowed to live here and reap the benefits, not raging and full of grievances and demands.

Another thing I don't get is the same young Irish people being full of anti-British rhetoric, always banging on about "Tans" while having no memory of the Troubles. So we're supposed to welcome and accommodate anyone who rocks up, regardless of their culture or beliefs or background, but we can heap casual abuse on our closest neighbour, with whom the vast majority of us share close family ties going back generations? I don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I'm hating this narrative that they are ramming down our throats about us being racist. I suppose in the early days of multi culturism change in this country, people were slow to adapt. I really don't think it was anything to do with race though. I think it was more so a threat to livelihoods with jobs being taken and people finding it hard to get work at home. I know I myself was like thss and uttered some words about eastern Europeans because they were everywhere but I have changed. They are beautiful people and they bring so much value and worth to the country and they have integrated well. I was the same way towards coloured people her in Ireland. I remember being unemployed one summer and I hated going into the social welfare office because I swear to god, every time, I felt homesick in there because it was all filled with blacks. That was about 2006. Eventually I did change and I saw that they brought so much to our country. They are generally lovely people and my experience with coloured people has been mainly very positive and good. I did warm to them. Surely I'm not the only one in Ireland like this and here in Ireland we have been mainly very accepting of other people of race and culture. I do have a problem with open borders though. I don't want to see that happen. It has nothing to do with racism though. We won't be able to look after our own if we experience a huge influx of others coming in from abroad from outside the EU.

I know I went rambling but the gist of it is we have been accepting of other people here in Ireland for the most part. I hate this attitude that they are ramming down our throats about racism though. That bit you quoted from twitter about white privilege is nonsense. Then they tell us about black people getting shot leaving their homes wearing a hoodie. When was the last time a black person was shot here for leaving their home wearing a hoodie? Or even in Europe? It would definitely be reported in the news if it happened. I wish they would stop dumping American societal problems on our backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

The reality is this that we are being suppressed into saying nothing cause if we do, we are painted as racist......if d police do anything, they are painted as thugs.....social media is their hiding place and edited videos their platform....soon, we will have a lawless situation cause everyone is too scared to say or do anything in case they are portrayed in a bad way by someone taking advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

The reality is this that we are being suppressed into saying nothing cause if we do, we are painted as racist......if d police do anything, they are painted as thugs.....social media is their hiding place and edited videos their platform....soon, we will have a lawless situation cause everyone is too scared to say or do anything in case they are portrayed in a bad way by someone taking advantage.

The proposed hate crime / hate speech legislation will put the final hammer blow on that. Who knows what will be defined as hate speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

What do you expect, the media in Ireland and uk are left wing. They are not neutral in the way the portray the news.

Children are taking all this biased media info in and believing it. I stopped listening to news after Mr Trump got elected, the commentators here were so sick and twisted it was deplorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @LillySV - Don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Children are taking all this biased media info in and believing it. I stopped listening to news after Mr Trump got elected, the commentators here were so sick and twisted it was deplorable.

I'd say trump tells the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

One young fella telling us to educate ourselves doesn't even look old enough to buy a can of beer, its probably only been a few years since Mammy was making his lunch for school.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s and like most people my age we remember our folks having just enough to get us by week to week so he can fook off with his white privilege.

White Privilege is based on jealousy and a sense of entitlement.

I could describe the history of my family, but there's little point, because those who harp on about privilege won't ever listen or appreciate where we came from. Instead, they want what others have without the work and pain that went along with it. My family before I was born was poor.. but through hard work, penny pinching and sensible investments, they brought us all up to Middle class. Now, my family is pretty well set up, but we're hardly wealthy. I'm definitely not.

It all comes back to the cancer in society which encourages a dismissal of personal responsibility. You can see it in the minority groups who want everything that others have without the work needed to achieve it. You can see it in the activists who come from established and wealthy families who have never needed to work two jobs to pay their way through college. College, mind, not even university.

I find it all to be rather disgraceful, and I tend to lose my temper whenever I hear someone complaining about White Privilege. These are people who have no interest in running the gauntlet of competitive living. Instead, they're entitled to a wonderful life simply because someone else has a better one... which is debatable considering just how many people are living just above the poverty line. Or the people born into Middle class families, judged by their parents situation, and therefore unable to gain supports that poorer groups gain easily.

Nope. I have no patience for this BS and will oppose any suggestion of allowing it to be accepted into mainstream society. Life is hard. Get over it. Put in the work, get a decent education that is marketable in a modern market, save your money, and uplift your situation. Improve yourself. Take responsibility for the state of your own life.

See... while I have some sympathy for migrants (asylum/refugees/etc)... I also have some contempt for them. Why? Because they've given up on their country. They've decided not to help their own country by staying, and seeking to steer the country towards stability and prosperity. Instead, they've decided to move to another country and demand a better standard of living that they would have at home... simply because, well, "reasons". It was more acceptable when the numbers from a country were very low, but now? We're seeing large numbers leaving for 'protection' elsewhere. Where is the love and loyalty to your nation?

And I have even less respect for people who play the race card, seeking benefits above what the general population receives. Regardless of the price the general population pays to get those benefits. I'm all for equality, but the people in BLM or other racial groups aren't looking for equality. They're looking for a special status with support to make it easy to cruise through life. Fcuk that. Black Privilege, or minority Privilege more like.

TBH I suspect a lot of people, similar to myself in their viewpoints (yes I know others who feel the way I do), are becoming more tolerant of being called racist.. because we are starting to see it's the only way to stop this nonsense. Give people equality. Yes, definitely. But genuine equality, which includes all the responsibility, hardships, and need for personal growth, in order to achieve a semblance of a comfortable life. No more excuses.

Just stop all this nonsense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes and no .

It's widely believed many in da actually work cash in hand or run businesses outside of the center's

Virtually this entire thread is extraordinary in terms of its overt racism, especially the narrative that minority races are scroungers or looking for ways to work the system. I'll just choose the quote above as a great example - 'It's widely believed...'

Yes and of course they all drive BMWs provided by the state, you forgot that bit.

I personally worked for years with many people living in DP and I can assure you that none I ever met worked cash in hand or ran businesses outside the centres. The suggestion is ludicrous and is backed up, as usual, with absolutely zero evidence. The poster feeling contempt for refugees fleeing persecution or chaos must live in a tiny, tiny bubble.

I genuinely pity most of the contributors here, what an extraordinary world view to hold. Don't bother with any 'bleeding heart' or 'snowflake' accusations, I'm far too old to care and I won't be revisiting your sad little echo chamber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hippo wrote: »
    Virtually this entire thread is extraordinary in terms of its overt racism, especially the narrative that minority races are scroungers or looking for ways to work the system. I'll just choose the quote above as a great example - 'It's widely believed...'

Yes and of course they all drive BMWs provided by the state, you forgot that bit.

I personally worked for years with many people living in DP and I can assure you that none I ever met worked cash in hand or ran businesses outside the centres. The suggestion is ludicrous and is backed up, as usual, with absolutely zero evidence. The poster feeling contempt for refugees fleeing persecution or chaos must live in a tiny, tiny bubble.

I genuinely pity most of the contributors here, what an extraordinary world view to hold. Don't bother with any 'bleeding heart' or 'snowflake' accusations, I'm far too old to care and I won't be revisiting your sad little echo chamber.

Agreed.

Contempt for refugees because they flea extreme situations in an effort to save themselves really says it all about this thread. Someone above said this thread was a critique about racism. It isnt. Its an excuse for many to have racist rants.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement