Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

Hippo wrote: »
    Virtually this entire thread is extraordinary in terms of its overt racism, especially the narrative that minority races are scroungers or looking for ways to work the system. I'll just choose the quote above as a great example - 'It's widely believed...'

Yes and of course they all drive BMWs provided by the state, you forgot that bit.

I personally worked for years with many people living in DP and I can assure you that none I ever met worked cash in hand or ran businesses outside the centres. The suggestion is ludicrous and is backed up, as usual, with absolutely zero evidence. The poster feeling contempt for refugees fleeing persecution or chaos must live in a tiny, tiny bubble.

I genuinely pity most of the contributors here, what an extraordinary world view to hold. Don't bother with any 'bleeding heart' or 'snowflake' accusations, I'm far too old to care and I won't be revisiting your sad little echo chamber.

I don't think you are a bleeding heart, nor do I think you are a snowflake.

I just think you are wrong and are too quick to label people racist.

I feel contempt for people who enter the country illegally and have travelled through various other safe countries. I have no issue with immigration once it is done legally.

To label someone racist is a horrible slur and is bandied about with reckless abandon.

You say that people do not back up their statements with any facts yet because you have anecdotal evidence to the contrary, it is gospel.

I abhor racism, I abhor racists and I also abhor that because of people like you, being called a racist is starting to mean nothing. I have seen very little evidence of racism on this thread, never mind "virtually the entire thread being racist"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

beginning to wonder if the death of mr floyd in america was the green light for the media and NGO sector to launch a massive campaign surrounding the alleged culture of " racism " in ireland

we are being truly bombarded with the message this past week or more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Agreed.

Contempt for refugees because they flea extreme situations in an effort to save themselves really says it all about this thread. Someone above said this thread was a critique about racism. It isnt. Its an excuse for many to have racist rants.

The vast majority of asylum seekers in Ireland fled nothing worse than the waiting lounge of an airport in London, Paris, Amsterdam etc as they worked their way across Europe to get here. No wars, no persecution. Just economic migrants who stood no chance of ever getting a Visa to come here legally. But you mostly know that and deliberately choose to ignore it

very interesting video on twitter where a black woman challenges a white " black lives matter " activist about why " black lives matter " never show up to protest in overwhelmingly black neighbourhoods , she then points out that black folk kill black folk all the time but that the white liberals never use their " black lives matter " banner to address black suffering in that context

the black lady also insists that she is not oppressed , does not need to be rescued

jay0109 wrote: »
    The vast majority of asylum seekers in Ireland fled nothing worse than the waiting lounge of an airport in London, Paris, Amsterdam etc as they worked their way across Europe to get here. No wars, no persecution. Just economic migrants who stood no chance of ever getting a Visa to come here legally. But you mostly know that and deliberately choose to ignore it

the truly wretched in africa could never dream of making it to ireland and even they could , there are millions upon millions of them , whats the point in taking in a drop in the ocean ?

what is the point of accepting in the people currently in DP if they are here on bogus terms other than to make idiot liberals feel smug , we should absolutely contribute to helping poor nations improve their lot but population transfer is not good for our country or theres

this whole thing is a massive vanity project for middle class liberals who have no proper challenges in life and through boredom and charlatan NGO industry players out to accumulate status , influence and money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

Virtually this entire thread is extraordinary in terms of its overt racism, especially the narrative that minority races are scroungers or looking for ways to work the system. I'll just choose the quote above as a great example - 'It's widely believed...'

Yes and of course they all drive BMWs provided by the state, you forgot that bit.

I personally worked for years with many people living in DP and I can assure you that none I ever met worked cash in hand or ran businesses outside the centres. The suggestion is ludicrous and is backed up, as usual, with absolutely zero evidence. The poster feeling contempt for refugees fleeing persecution or chaos must live in a tiny, tiny bubble.

I genuinely pity most of the contributors here, what an extraordinary world view to hold. Don't bother with any 'bleeding heart' or 'snowflake' accusations, I'm far too old to care and I won't be revisiting your sad little echo chamber.

I know someone whose cleaner lives in the local DP centre, just for starters. It's common knowledge that many work cash in hand. You don't have to believe me because I'm a randomer on the internet but it's true.

I don't think most of the posters here are sad or racist and I don't think you're a snowflake. I think you're just very misguided. You know that most asylum seekers in Ireland are not fleeing persecution or chaos. Those that actually are - like programme refugees from Syria - are not stuck in DP for years, running endless appeals after being turned down. Look at this. 99% of Syrians are accepted but the vast majority of those from the other top five countries are refused. Georgia and Albania are holiday destinations for goodness sake. 94.4% of Nigerians are rejected.

https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/statistics

What have you got to say about this? This is the problem, the appeals to emotion and the lack of engagement with the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Agreed.

Contempt for refugees because they flea extreme situations in an effort to save themselves really says it all about this thread. Someone above said this thread was a critique about racism. It isnt. Its an excuse for many to have racist rants.

I dont see any of that and I think you would struggle to back up your point too. Plenty of posters make clear that the social problems that people fear will happen with excessive migration are well known with locals so that verifies it is not about racism.

Glad to see you've read the entire thread, and understand every opinion... I'm even more happy that you're not dismissing us all, or grouping everyone together regardless of the individuality of their opinions.

The gas thing is that very few posters have been silly enough to post such a thing. In fact, the only time I can remember seeing someone say such a thing, it's come from someone like yourself, seeking to dismiss the thread.
    The poster feeling contempt for refugees fleeing persecution or chaos must live in a tiny, tiny bubble.

"the poster"? Come on, show a tiny bit of respect and quote people...

As for my "tiny" bubble, I live most of the time in China/Asia. I've travelled/worked in parts of Africa, and spent time in the M.East. I also do volunteer work as a teacher to migrants and travellers in Ireland whenever I'm home.

How's your tiny bubble going, btw? Hilarious.

I don't pity you at all. You've made a choice to be intolerant of others, and unwilling to consider their perspectives. Your statement about the "whole" thread, is such a giveaway about how incapable you are of tolerating opinions other than your own.

I've posted a lot to this thread, and I don't know the whole thread. There are plenty of opinions which I wouldn't agree with.. and plenty others which I would.. but I wouldn't be so arrogant as to judge the quality of the whole thread. :rolleyes: How enlightened and tolerant an individual you are... :pac:

Agreed.

No. It says something about me. I don't represent the other posters on this thread.

However, when you would take a single post, and suggest it represents the whole thread... that says a lot more about you. Saying that your posts represents all mods would be retarded..

Having some contempt for migrants isn't racist. Context. Bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Agreed.

We don't know if people in DP are refugees or not, that's the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Agreed.

We don't know if people in DP are refugees or not, that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No. It says something about me. I don't represent the other posters on this thread.

However, when you would take a single post, and suggest it represents the whole thread... that says a lot more about you. Saying that your posts represents all mods would be retarded..

Having some contempt for migrants isn't racist. Context. Bloody hell.

You don't understand, you challenged the narrative. That makes you racist. There has to be consequences or others might start piping up too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

What is a racist ?, one can argue that it’s a race intolerable of another ( white against black as an example )

Would I be right ? Not far off I reckon.

If that is the case, I am curious if someone was dismiss or put white people down due to their skin colour as being privilege or whatever the case be, then I would consider this to be racist.

It appears to me that the word racism is being lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So if you mention asylum seekers your racist and wants an echo chamber ,

A bit odd .

Seems like an attempt at bullying either say nothing or be labeled racist all while saying others want am echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

A lot is being argued based on a 2018 EU on the experiences of being black in Europe, which argues Ireland is the second-worst for violent assaults. I am doubtful because I don't know anyone who would ever dream of beating someone because of their skin colour.

Source is here
    https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2018-being-black-in-the-eu_en.pdf

In a chart of experiences of physical violence, it reports 13% reported racist violence, the second-highest in Europe, with Finland being the worst (who knew the Finns were so racist). It is worth reading although I take it with a grain of salt. It appears to be non-peer-reviewed, and it is calculated with self-reported racist violence in the last five years. The sample is 420 people (half Nigerian and 72% are citizens) with an average age of 36. It is possible a similar percent of 36 YO non-Africans would report violence in the last five years, controlling for age and income? Whatever the explanation, I am sure the vast majority of this is caused by a tiny number of very nasty and very drunk people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's ok to be black
    It's ok to be white

If you have a problem with one of these you're racist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

biko wrote: »
    It's ok to be black
    It's ok to be white

Asian? :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Asian? :D

Only if you're a good Asian. A lot of Asians are not behaving like good POCs should, they might as well be white. Expect a Joe Biden presser on the topic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Watched a panorama show last night about the alt right movement, the main black man in it made a point that white people don't know oppression,and he meant all white people,that their struggles could never be as hard as blacks struggles..

He only sees things his way,and anybody else who sees different is wrong,and he's a hero figure to blacks, winning awards.

Who is he to say other races struggles are less important than the struggles of black people?

Plenty of struggle and oppression this side of the Atlantic not involving blacks at all.

Why don't BLM attack the countries in Africa which are all black,and who's citizens flee from and try claim asylum in countries predominantly white?

Equality my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

biko wrote: »
    It's ok to be black
    It's ok to be white

While I totally agree with you...you should try posting that second one to twitter or Facebook or wherever and you’ll see plenty do not agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Watched a panorama show last night about the alt right movement, the main black man in it made a point that white people don't know oppression,and he meant all white people,that their struggles could never be as hard as blacks struggles..

Someone needs to open a history book. The ones with words and not the one with pretty pictures to be colored in.

Why don't BLM attack the countries in Africa which are all black,and who's citizens flee from and try claim asylum in countries predominantly white?

Equality my ass

BLM is nothing more than Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Just race hustlers.

While I totally agree with you...you should try posting that second one to twitter or Facebook or wherever and you’ll see plenty do not agree with you.

If the checkmark brigade are against you then you're doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

The march on monday, and the attempted shaming of the population online and in the media since then, has helped to change minds and solidify opinions.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it is the direction the activists may have intended.
    There is a frustration and anger building with the constant barrage of shaming of people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

bloopy wrote: »
    The march on monday, and the attempted shaming of the population online and in the media since then, has helped to change minds and solidify opinions.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it is the direction the activists may have intended.
    There is a frustration and anger building with the constant barrage of shaming of people.

that would be nice , but unfortunately I doubt it

I suspect people are getting tired of being manipulated. Suggesting that they should feel guilt over something they've never been involved in.

Ofcourse some worthless talking head is on RTE using this as an excuse to end direct provision.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Ofcourse some worthless talking head is on RTE using this as an excuse to end direct provision.

I've no issue with DP being ended... if it is replaced with something better. Better for both the migrants and the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

You can only laugh at the accusations of being in an echo chamber. All politicians, all parties, every journalist, ngo, media outlet, radio station etc is on the same page. Bombarding us every minute of every day with the same message. No dissent is allowed. Anyone who questions the narrative is attacked.
    We're living in a fcuking echo chamber.

You can only laugh at the accusations of being in an echo chamber. All politicians, all parties, every journalist, ngo, media outlet, radio station etc is on the same page. Bombarding us every minute of every day with the same message. No dissent is allowed. Anyone who questions the narrative is attacked.
    We're living in a fcuking echo chamber.

This is why I laugh when some Lefty brings up Fox News or some other Conservative leaning site.

• Advertisement

I've no issue with DP being ended... if it is replaced with something better. Better for both the migrants and the taxpayer.

Yes. If they have no business being here then back they go. No endless appeals to ride out the clock and hope the Govt forgets about them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement