Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    beginning to wonder if the death of mr floyd in america was the green light for the media and NGO sector to launch a massive campaign surrounding the alleged culture of " racism " in ireland

we are being truly bombarded with the message this past week or more

It keeps happening. Gamergate. Atheism plus. Evergreen. Now the NYT as well.
    Always in the most liberal institutions.
    https://twitter.com/ConceptualJames/status/1268390818173325312

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've no issue with DP being ended... if it is replaced with something better. Better for both the migrants and the taxpayer.

One of the issues is some people want to gone at all costs and what replaced with arriving at Dublin airport oh hello I'm here to declare my an asylum seeker , right this way madam please sign here for you 4evahome and permanent welfare benefits ,
    And madam if anyone challenges you call them racist and remind them the Irish went to America

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't know what the situation is like in Nigeria, or was 15 years ago, but I wouldn't take his word as gospel, of course he's going to talk up his own country

Nigeria is not paradise but there is no need to flee 3,000 miles north

I've no issue with DP being ended... if it is replaced with something better. Better for both the migrants and the taxpayer.

what is better would be quick handling of cases. But that would mean quick deportations in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    This is why I laugh when some Lefty brings up Fox News or some other Conservative leaning site.

Ireland has gone so far down the rabbit hole that the very idea of a 'Right Wing' or simply a non progressive media outlet is totally outrageous and utterly scandalous.
    Normality to them is all media being politically progressive with no alternative opinions.
    I'm not saying Ireland is tyrannical but the only societies where you find all media on the same page as the establishment are authoritarian, tyrannical societies.

• Advertisement

goose2005 wrote: »
    Nigeria is not paradise but there is no need to flee 3,000 miles north

There was a recent article where an asylum seeker said they went from Africa to live in the UK for a number of years before deciding to come here to claim asylum .

It's a lifestyle choice for many rather than fleeing any persecution or war

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Nesta2018

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/our-population-of-nigerians-is-probably-large-enough-thank-you-26528804.html

Whatever you think about Kevin Myers it's hard to imagine something like this being printed now. The high profile case he's referring to (Pamela Izevbekhai is possibly the first one, and the case in Cork is "another") proved to be a woman telling a totally fabricated story in an attempt to gain asylum, exploiting the goodwill of the many decent people who attempted to stop her deportation and costing the exchequer over €1m in legal fees alone. Even if her FGM story were true, Myers argues, it is not realistic or feasible to allow everyone at risk of this practice into Ireland.

He might be crass and offensive to a lot of people but at least there was an actual voice in mainstream media countering what was happening. Now it's a total Orwellian free for all. They don't even pretend any more that the likes of Ebun Joseph or Elie Kisyombe are actual refugees fleeing persecution, they are just here and must be accepted. They don't have to pretend to be at risk of anything, in the case of EK, they can simply go on holiday back home the minute their leave to remain is granted. They don't even pretend to acknowledge that the majority of asylum seekers are from safe countries, we simply must "End Direct Provision" and allow them all housing and permanent residence. Not only are they here and must stay, but we the Irish are racist and must expiate some imaginary sin we have committed against them.

It's absolutely insane.

Gatling wrote: »
    One of the issues is some people want to gone at all costs and what replaced with arriving at Dublin airport oh hello I'm here to declare my an asylum seeker , right this way madam please sign here for you 4evahome and permanent welfare benefits ,
    And madam if anyone challenges you call them racist and remind them the Irish went to America

The problem being that replacing DP with welfare would be more expensive in the long run (it's already unsustainable), especially since birth rates in 3rd world nations are increasing, as is social/political instability. The number of migrants is only going to grow over the long term. There will be short term drops but overall it'll increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Reading the list by Masi your comment is a rough version of their exact demands. There are no shortage of faded denim pink haired fruit loops supporting them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

DP needs a radical overhaul, a decision needs to be reached within weeks of the person arriving and that decision should be final.

The person concerned is not a citizen of this country so its ridiculous that they can challange a decision multiple times and cost the taxpayer thousands in court fees and expenses.

Of course this will never happen because no Government has the balls to bring leglislation like this before the Dail.

• Advertisement

DP needs a radical overhaul, a decision needs to be reached withing weeks of the person arriving and that decision should be final.

The person concerned is not a citizen of this country so its ridiculous that they can challange a decision multiple times and cost the taxpayer thousands in court fees and expenses.

Of course this will never happen because no Government has to balls to bring leglisation like this before the Dail.

It's a joke at this stage , I'd gladly see the end of direct provision but as you said ,you arrive get a legal team ,not legal advice but a team comprising of Barristers , solicitors, Human right lawyers all on taxpayers time ,Denied asylum ,followed by appeal , followed by another appeal ,and another have a child start the process over again , leave direct provision move to another part of the country and look a new application ,get married oh look we need to start another application for me and my husband or wife ,

We should have a single large reception center where your kept and if your application is denied then your deported no multiple appeals or judicial reviews on the legality of a deportation order,
    Commit a crime especially serious fast track the court system and if convicted immediate deportation.

The problem being that replacing DP with welfare would be more expensive in the long run (it's already unsustainable), especially since birth rates in 3rd world nations are increasing, as is social/political instability. The number of migrants is only going to grow over the long term. There will be short term drops but overall it'll increase.

Africa's population is predicted to massively increase over the next few decades, and I don't think African states can feed/house/care for that many people, especially with climate change. Asia won't take the excess, it'll mostly go to Europe.

55d38ec0dd089595388b46c6?width=750&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

It's a joke at this stage , I'd gladly see the end of direct provision but as you said ,you arrive get a legal team ,not legal advice but a team comprising of Barristers , solicitors, Human right lawyers all on taxpayers time ,Denied asylum ,followed by appeal , followed by another appeal ,and another have a child start the process over again , leave direct provision move to another part of the country and look a new application ,get married oh look we need to start another application for me and my husband or wife ,

We should have a single large reception center where your kept and if your application is denied then your deported no multiple appeals or judicial reviews on the legality of a deportation order,
    Commit a crime especially serious fast track the court system and if convicted immediate deportation.

Sounds like Australia's immigration system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Africa's population is predicted to massively increase over the next few decades, and I don't think African states can feed/house/care for that many people, especially with climate change. Asia won't take the excess, it'll mostly go to Europe.

We can't keep taking them. Africa is 10x the size of North America and Europe. We're going to run out of space [and we shouldn't bulldoze everything. People come here to see the Green fields] eventually and then there will social chaos. Especially once the welfare goes bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

When you walk down the street and see a person how do you know they are an immigrant?

Why aren't leading Economists speaking out about the threat?

When I left Dublin not too long ago to live abroad I hardly came across any black people in employment in Ireland, across the board, where are they?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    When you walk down the street and see a person how do you know they are an immigrant?

Why aren't leading Economists speaking out about the threat?

When I left Dublin not too long ago to live abroad I hardly came across any black people in employment in Ireland, across the board, where are they?

I don't. And I don't want to.

I would prefer if I walked down down the street I would like to hope that every person I see had either been born here, on holiday or has legally come to the country.

I don't care about appearances.

I don't. And I don't want to.

I would prefer if I walked down down the street I would like to hope that every person I see had either been born here, on holiday or has legally come to the country.

I don't care about appearances.

Sorry the O.P. said the place was flooded with immigrants. Dublin always seemed white A.F. to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

cloudatlas wrote:
    Sorry the O.P. said the place was flooded with immigrants. Dublin always seemed white A.F. to me.

That should hardly come as a surprise. This is Ireland after all. There probably were a handful of people of colour here 50 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Actually there is quite a lot of research that shows deinstitutionalisation for disability works out a lot cheaper in the end for taxpayers. So yeah. Win all round.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The people who start these threads never back it up with any statistics.

• Advertisement

Actually there is quite a lot of research that shows deinstitutionalisation for disability

But we're not dealing with deinstitutionalisation for disability,
    We're dealing with bogus asylum seekers and the cost to taxpayers to support the lifestyle choices they make ,

It would be definitely cheaper if we reformed the system so that bogus asylum seekers are removed from the state as soon as humanly possible rather than after 10+ years of expensive legal actions again funded by the tax payer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I thought the protests planned for around the country were cancelled. Some of them still went ahead. What was that about? Were they trying to throw the general public off and the public and the garda and continue with protests.

I didn't see much of Galway protest but the protest was supposed to be cancelled but they were then due to have a demo that was reportedly cancelled. From the bit on the news it showed people standing metres apart and wearing masks so I suppose that is somewhat good.

The other protests that were showed around Ireland showed large crowds and a mix of people and a mix of social distancing and no social distancing and a mix of mask wearers and no mask wearers. I just hope that cases of Covid19 doesn't explode from the gatherings and the shouting a protests, all a great ground for spread especially considering a choir in the states all came down with the infection.

I also notice on RTE when they had the camera to a few people talking, they picked out the mask wearers for the camera giving the illusion that perhaps the protesters are all safety conscious and the protests are perhaps safe. Yet when looking online, not everyone wore masks.

Also someone on the news mixing up what's happening in America with direct provision here in Ireland calling on our government to end direct provision here in Ireland. What exactly does she mean by this? When people come here seeking asylum, the government has to provide accommodation for them. Does she want direct provision centres to close down? Does she want the asylum Seekers to seek out their own rental accommodation or does she want asylum Seekers to be given houses to live in by the government? I mean, we can't even house our own people for crying out loud. Or does she want no immigration controls and open borders? Protecting our country and our people and our livelihoods from an influx of people from outside the EU is not racism.

The biggest scumbags in our country is our own government who couldn’t help us here. We all worked so hard over the past few months and sacrifices so much and changed so much of the way we lived and did things to get this virus under control and our government turns around and literally pisses on all of our backs by allowing mass protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

owlbethere wrote: »
    I thought the protests planned for around the country were cancelled. Some of them still went ahead. What was that about? Were they trying to throw the general public off and the public and the garda and continue with protests.

I didn't see much of Galway protest but the protest was supposed to be cancelled but they were then due to have a demo that was reportedly cancelled. From the bit on the news it showed people standing metres apart and wearing masks so I suppose that is somewhat good.

The other protests that were showed around Ireland showed large crowds and a mix of people and a mix of social distancing and no social distancing and a mix of mask wearers and no mask wearers. I just hope that cases of Covid19 doesn't explode from the gatherings and the shouting a protests, all a great ground for spread especially considering a choir in the states all came down with the infection.

I also notice on RTE when they had the camera to a few people talking, they picked out the mask wearers for the camera giving the illusion that perhaps the protesters are all safety conscious and the protests are perhaps safe. Yet when looking online, not everyone wore masks.

Also someone on the news mixing up what's happening in America with direct provision here in Ireland calling on our government to end direct provision here in Ireland. What exactly does she mean by this? When people come here seeking asylum, the government has to provide accommodation for them. Does she want direct provision centres to close down? Does she want the asylum Seekers to seek out their own rental accommodation or does she want asylum Seekers to be given houses to live in by the government? I mean, we can't even house our own people for crying out loud. Or does she want no immigration controls and open borders? Protecting our country and our people and our livelihoods from an influx of people from outside the EU is not racism.

The biggest scumbags in our country is our own government who couldn’t help us here. We all worked so hard over the past few months and sacrifices so much and changed so much of the way we lived and did things to get this virus under control and our government turns around and literally pisses on all of our backs by allowing mass protests.

They want the asylum seekers to be granted the freedom to live and work freely. And no more deportations. The majority of African asylum seekers are rejected because they are economic migrants. Nothing to do with racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I would disagree here. Africa is enormous, and it has very low population densities. Africa has the highest amount of underused farmland, and this factors out the vast number of national parks. Much of the tropical regions are not suitable for draught animals so where people can not afford tractors, they plough by hoe. In Europe even 6,000 years ago we weren't ploughing with hoes. So when they get to stage of adopting tractors, there is a huge leap. The point is that the continent has an enormous capacity to increase food production and it has been successfully increasing food production. Climate change is not a problem because there is a lot of potential to adjust to drought-tolerant crops like sorghum. However, people always want to advance so the pull factors to Europe will indeed grow over time and it does risk Europe's stability as well as causing enormous inequality here.

Not working.

16% unemployment in the African population here, but I suppose thats white paddys fault as well.

They seemed to be apart in the Galway one all right but it was a bit sneaky telling everyone yesterday it was off and then out of the blue going ahead with it.

And it was still breaking the rules the rest of us are told we have to follow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Many immigrants are white.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

They seemed to be apart in the Galway one all right but it was a bit sneaky telling everyone yesterday it was off and then out of the blue going ahead with it.

And it was still breaking the rules the rest of us are told we have to follow.

I was at the Galway one, there were definitely lots of people not even making an effort.

Plenty were and in masks, but nowhere near everyone.

There are photos here.

You can see people are making an effort on the fringes, but around the actual Brown Doorway and Fountain everyone's fairly packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

just saw this, a radio host in the Isle of Man has been suspended over his comments on a Black Lives Matter protest, or moreso white privilege / lack of it...

Manx Radio took Stu Peters off air after Wednesday's programme in which a black caller challenged him for writing "all lives matter" in an online forum.

"I've had no more privilege in my life than you have. I'm a white man, you're a black man," he told Jordan Maguire.

Manx Radio said it had referred the issue to the Communications Commission.
    Manx Radio's managing director Chris Sully said: "Stu Peters will not be presenting the Late Show whilst an investigation takes place.
    "We await [the Commission's] guidance on any potential breach of the Broadcast Code.
    "Manx Radio does not condone racism in any form amongst its staff.
    "We are actively working with the caller involved to develop some ideas to debate the issues involved."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-52936980

there's a transcript of the section of the show in the link there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Today's and Monday's protests should be enough to destroy the "Blacks are Oppressed in Ireland" myth. The fact that they're allowed to protest in the middle of a pandemic lockdown and nobody in the Govt and media raises an eyebrow proves they're not oppressed here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement