Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Examples please , and I mean the actual definition of racism, as in the pre trump one, not the new expanded one where you can't point out the many issues in certain communities or cultures who just happen to be of a different race.

We seem to refer the all chinese people as a collective which looked racist to me along wit ignorant as hell. You posted on another thread earlier which I quoted you. It was dumb beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We seem to refer the all chinese people as a collective which looked racist to me along wit ignorant as hell. You posted on another thread earlier which I quoted you. It was dumb beyond words.

I blamed china as a nation for the corona virus spreading so much due to corruption and coverups by their government . Absolutely fail to see the racism in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I think you may be off the mark here. In another thread you just accused me of referring to people as a collective.
    yeah, every last one of them from Jakata to Sinkers. All Chinese, their fault.
    Jeysus

When we were very clearly talking about countries and the actions that those countries took.

2u2me wrote: »
    I think you may be off the mark here. In another thread you just accused me of referring to people as a collective.

When we were very clearly talking about countries and the actions that those countries took.

nah, i was joking and agreeing with your blame china post

Anti Chinese racism is through the roof here now in Ireland, the things people say. So unless someone goes out of their way to state the government of China and just are so lazy to just say the chinese this and that it will have to be taken as both racism and that the person is a cretin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Anti Chinese racism is through the roof here now in Ireland, the things people say. So unless someone goes out of their way to state the government of China and just are so lazy to just say the chinese this and that it will have to be taken as both racism and that the person is a cretin.
    I see you over on the Covid threads complaining about any posts that may shine a negative light on the Chinese government and their part in how all of our lives have changed forever due to this virus.
    That is not racism. People know the difference between the Chinese people and the Communist Party of China (CPC).

Kivaro wrote: »
    I see you over on the Covid threads complaining about any posts that may shine a negative light on the Chinese government and their part in how all of our lives have changed forever due to this virus.
    That is not racism. People know the difference between the Chinese people and the Communist Party of China (CPC).

Really? They make no efforts to differentiate. It is clearly deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Cordell

Do they need to make this effort to prevent some non-chinese being offended on behalf of the obviously not targeted Chinese?
    It should be clear to everyone that they mean the CPC and the bat eating savages, not the decent folk.

Cordell wrote: »
    Do they need to make this effort to prevent some non-chinese being offended on behalf of the obviously not targeted Chinese?
    It should be clear to everyone that they mean the CPC and the bat eating savages, not the decent folk.

I think you are speaking for everyone with just your own personal views on the matter.

Yes, they do need to be clear, the rudeness and bluntness of the average joes statments makes it clear they are using a catch all term.

Really? They make no efforts to differentiate. It is clearly deliberate.
    I think you are speaking for everyone with just your own personal views on the matter.

Yes, they do need to be clear, the rudeness and bluntness of the average joes statments makes it clear they are using a catch all term.

So, who's speaking for others?

If you think that the average joes are blaming all the Chinese then the problem is yours, you need to make efforts to make sure you understand correctly what they're saying. Either this, or stop caring about what others are saying.

• Advertisement

So, who's speaking for others?

If you think that the average joes are blaming all the Chinese then the problem is yours, you need to make efforts to make sure you understand correctly what they're saying. Either this, or stop caring about what others are saying.

I don't care, thats my point.

Anyone who just refers to the chinese in a collective term is normally greated with a glance at their feet and a slow rise to their head and back down to their feet again. That normally confirms to me that they are normally low in moral fibre and a bit of a scumbag. It can creep out in these times in those who like to view themselves as being above the scobie level...the inner scobe escapes.

At that point you just look down at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I blamed china as a nation for the corona virus spreading so much due to corruption and coverups by their government . Absolutely fail to see the racism in that.

I agree.

Surely racism implies stating something negative and untrue about a race of people?

If I said Africans are good at long-distance running, is that racist?

Can the truth be racist?

Geuze wrote: »
    I agree.

Surely racism implies stating something negative and untrue about a race of people?

Can the truth be racist?

It's a collective statement about africans though. One that catches them all together under one statement and one bracket of the one trait.

This example of whatever point you are tying to make is utterly horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Of course racism is on the increase.... When nearly everything is deemed racist....

Of course racism is on the increase.... When nearly everything is deemed racist....

But that is doesn't escape the valid point I made. The lads have gone quiet.

Imagine because of the chruch scandals the outrage if everyone on global media just refered to the Irish when talking about it

I don't care, thats my point.

Anyone who just refers to the chinese in a collective term is normally greated with a glance at their feet and a slow rise to their head and back down to their feet again. That normally confirms to me that they are normally low in moral fibre and a bit of a scumbag. It can creep out in these times in those who like to view themselves as being above the scobie level...the inner scobe escapes.

At that point you just look down at them.

Wow.
    It must be hard going through life looking down at people for no good reason, you have my sympathy.

Wow.
    It must be hard going through life looking down at people for no good reason, you have my sympathy.

Nah it's great. The real low brow folk normally have a chip with the britishness so when thye come out with these kinda statements it just gives me the signla to treat them like peasants

its like that brasseye joke. "we took a survey of child sex in Britain, if you define a child as anyone under 30 the results are staggering"

I agree.

Can the truth be racist?

It's a collective statement about africans though. One that catches them all together under one statement and one bracket of the one trait.

But that is doesn't escape the valid point I made. The lads have gone quiet.

Imagine because of the chruch scandals the outrage if everyone on global media just refered to the Irish when talking about it

To be honest I find your point quite ridiculous to the point of it being disingenuine. Maybe you can convince me you are being genuine.

People regularly refer to the yanks the US the americans etc.. to describe 300million people. Where are you to cry racism then.

• Advertisement

Ok.

Perhaps what I should say is the following:

People are often worried to make statements of fact made these days, as the worry is that the person will be accused of being racist, even though the statement is true, and is not racist.

To be honest I find your point quite ridiculous to the point of it being disingenuine. Maybe you can convince me you are being genuine.

People regularly refer to the yanks the US the americans etc.. to describe 300million people. Where are you to cry racism then.

People refer to Trump, or Bush or Obama instinctively when refering to an administration.

I don't know what company you keep and what is the lexicon for the US government of the time but I note that in my circles it would refer to the president and the adminstration. Sometimes as crude to refer to Bush as a collective of his adminstration but never a collective of the whole nations diverse peoples.

Does this sound better?

"Africans dominate long-distance running".

One must be very careful what one says, these days.

Does this sound better?

"Africans nations have a disproportionate number of dominant long-distance runners".

One must be very careful what one says, these days.

Fixed it

People refer to Trump, or Bush or Obama instinctively when refering to an administration.

I don't know what company you keep and what is the lexicon for the US government of the time but I note that in my circles it would refer to the president and the adminstration. Sometimes as crude to refer to Bush as a collective of his adminstration but never a collective of the whole nations diverse peoples.

But even then you would be somewhat incorrect. As we've seen with this epidemic state have quite a bit of individual autonomy.

Generally we're talking about the policies of the countries. But we could also be talking about the people as you point out in which case it may be incorrect to do so. But when talking about the policies of a country its quite proper to use the words China/US/Ireland etc..

You also encounter the problem of 'turtles all the way down'. With your logic you must continue to specify people more endlessly.

Personally, I find all this talk about racism, and the wide scope that ism's tend to have these days, to be designed to shutdown discussion.

Not sure why we can't go back to the traditional view of what racism entailed. It was far more reasonable and less open to be confused with other things like generalisations, or stereotypes. Not inherently racist, but an indication of the speakers stupidity.

English used to be a very specific language, hence the reason for the wide range of words... it's been massively dumbed down for people who want to use a very limited vocabulary. When everyone has the "right" to be offended... language must be distorted to support their worldview.

Personally, I find all this talk about racism, and the wide scope that ism's tend to have these days, to be designed to shutdown discussion.

Not sure why we can't go back to the traditional view of what racism entailed. It was far more reasonable and less open to be confused with other things like generalisations, or stereotypes. Not inherently racist, but an indication of the speakers stupidity.

English used to be a very specific language, hence the reason for the wide range of words... it's been massively dumbed down for people who want to use a very limited vocabulary. When everyone has the "right" to be offended... language must be distorted to support their worldview.
    Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it would be hard to argue with that. irish families sent their own children into the care of the church en masse.

it would be hard to argue with that. irish families sent their own children into the care of the church en masse.

the point i'm make is if they remove the church element and say you are part of the group

• Advertisement

Fixed it

ok , and "African Americans commit a disproportionately high amount of murders in the US" its factually true, but racist or not ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement