Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Everyday Racism"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Cordell

The fact is not racist, stating it is :)
    There was a time, not so long ago, when this was openly talked about and some were trying to find solutions.
    Then, looking for solutions turned into looking for excuses.
    And now we need to refrain from speaking the truth, and focus on checking our privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Yeah, absolutely. I sort of joke about how it was the most liberating thing that ever happened to me, and also the most frustrating for everyone around me. Cause, like, when you start learning about systems, everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic, and you have to point it all out to everyone all the time. So there's a good year of my life where I was the most obnoxious person to be around. And then you settle into it, you start to understand, like, oh people have been living within these systems, and it was just sort of a liberating moment for me. You learn how to pick and choose your battles and that sort of thing.

-Anita Sarkeesian.

Thankfully she is no longer relevant, but there are still many more exactly like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

ok , and "African Americans commit a disproportionately high amount of murders in the US" its factually true, but racist or not ?

"African Americans are victims of a disproportionate amount of murders in the US"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

"African Americans are victims of a disproportionate amount of murders in the US"

That doesn't answer his question. What about, Straight White men are more privileged then everyone else? Racist or not?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/08/its-a-racial-justice-issue-black-americans-are-dying-in-greater-numbers-from-covid-19

So they managed to turn this into a racial issue. No, the virus doesn't kill more blacks, it kills more poor Americans that can't afford proper healthcare. White or black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

From people of their same population.

That doesn't answer his question. What about, Straight White men are more privileged then everyone else? Racist or not?

Of course not. You can't be racist or sexist towards straight white men.

Straight White women are more privileged then everyone else? would be both racist and sexist..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

committed by...... (hint, its not the police)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Of course not. You can't be racist or sexist towards straight white men.

Straight White women are more privileged then everyone else? would be both racist and sexist..

Oh that's right I forgot. Silly me.

The problem for me isn't racism. That hasn't really increased, and if anything, has decreased dramatically during my lifetime. The problem is the application of double standards. When we apply the rules of racism against everything equally, the terms becomes specific, and difficult to ignore. Hence they're dealt with easily, because outright racism isn't reasonable. However, when we allow double standards to creep in... then racism becomes meaningless because it's used to promote agendas.

The idea that Black people can't be racist, or that women can't be sexist... encourages racism or sexism to grow. Once we shut down such ideas of exclusivity which suggest that only white people can be racist, or males can only be sexist... then we can get back to diminishing racism to a point where it'll be a rarity in most peoples lives. (although with this outrage culture we have in the west, I suspect racism or any ism, will remain in the front, simply because people feel the need to be outraged, and sol, become "special"/important)

• Advertisement

The idea that Black people can't be racist, or that women can't be sexist... encourages racism or sexism to grow.

Take the incident at Evergreen college as an example. Students 'of colour'(their words) were working under the assumption they couldn't be racist and everything else was. What happened next can only be described as a Maoist revolution.

(There's a part at 6mins45seconds that makes this point quite well)

How can one challenge these warped ideas when you are met by hysterical screams of racism

People want to feel special. If others are racist towards them, then they're special... and worthy of attention.

In spite of the wave of social media, internet, and technology regarding communications, people in society have never felt as lonely as before. Making claims of racism or ism, makes them believe they're at the center of attention, and therefore, they have value, especially once the echo chamber joins in. Well done, they're now part of a wonderful club, all telling them that they're special, and the others are... ist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

In regards to racism, would you say that most Irish people would be open to dating a person of another race? I saw a thread a while back in After Hours and it seemed like 95% of the people found black's unattractive and would only date "caucasian looking" ones.

In regards to racism, would you say that most Irish people would be open to dating a person of another race? I saw a thread a while back in After Hours and it seemed like 95% of the people found black's unattractive and would only date "caucasian looking" ones.

Well let's say that's true, 95%. Would that mean people are racist?

The idea of a meme was originated by Richard Dawkins, he used it to describe the way our genes use us as hosts to propogate. I don't think there's anything racist about sexual preference. It's kind of like the argument some in the trans community are making, that if you aren't equally as attracted to a trans as a cis, you must be transphobic.

I'm sure if you put up a thread in Nigeria only 5% might say they are open to dating whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,267 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

That's shocking stuff. And made all the more outrageous by the fact that China was just appointed to the Consultative Group panel on the UN Human Rights Council.
    The future looks murky indeed.

In September 2015, Faisal bin Hassan Trad, Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the UN in Geneva, was elected Chair of the UNHRC Advisory Committee, the panel that appoints independent experts.[137][138] UN Watch executive director Hillel Neuer said: "It is scandalous that the UN chose a country that has beheaded more people this year [2015] than ISIS to be head of a key human rights panel. Petro-dollars and politics have trumped human rights."[139] Saudi Arabia also shut down criticism, during the UN meeting.[140] In January 2016, Saudi Arabia executed the prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr who had called for free elections in Saudi Arabia.[141]

UN Human Rights Council is a joke.

I've had two relationships with black women. One American, and one from Ethiopia. I've also dated far more Asian women.. in fact, I've very little experience with Caucasian women, because I tend to find those of other races to be more physically attractive.

But that's the problem there.. Racists (and those who are complaining about race) focus entirely on the physical as if there are no other reasons not to be interested or to dislike them.

See... With the American woman, our beliefs were the opposite of each other. Different values. Different dreams. Sure, there was a physical attraction, but that doesn't last very long when everything else goes downhill. With the Ethiopian woman, our traditional cultures were light years different, but we, ourselves, matched extremely well through our personalities. Her family, and friends, on the other hand, were completely against it, and so, it stuttered to a halt.

Culture has importance. Behavioral habits have importance. I'm unlikely to date another black woman from America because I find that there's a general conflict because I don't appreciate the aggressiveness that often comes from them. It's an attitude, and I particularly don't like all the cursing... which is not to say all black women from America behave that way, but it does affect my perception of such women in general.

When we look at a woman of another race, and consider a relationship, subconsciously all these factors come into play. If it's simply about sex, I suspect race isn't terribly important, and a persons physical preferences in body/face type that only does... but when we consider something more, we draw upon our experiences of them, whether that's direct or from various media.

When people push the race card, they're dwelling on appearance as being the only factor to consider... but reality is not that simple.

silverharp wrote: »
    Racism in China , China is asshoe!

I've lived there for 11 almost 12 years. Yes, it's racist.. but the most racist? That depends on who you talk to.

I've received far more "polite" racism in Japan. I've received aggressive racism in Egypt. I've received institutionalized racism in dozens of countries, including very scary racism in the US by black people and Mexicans...

Claiming China is the most racist or the worst is absolute horse****. Individuals are racist. A people are not. A nation is not. China has it's share of ignorant people who have never had a conversation with a white or black person, basing all their knowledge on stereotypes and hearsay... So, too, do many countries. It's just easier to meet it when the population is so large... and even then, overt/direct racism in China is very rare.

And yes, I've had Black friends say the same thing. They're received worse degrees of racism in Korea, or Japan. Others, have said, for them, China is the worst.... but the idea that China is the most racist country is BS...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

I've lived there for 11 almost 12 years. Yes, it's racist.. but the most racist? That depends on who you talk to.

I've received far more "polite" racism in Japan. I've received aggressive racism in Egypt. I've received institutionalized racism in dozens of countries, including very scary racism in the US by black people and Mexicans...

Claiming China is the most racist or the worst is absolute horse****. Individuals are racist. A people are not. A nation is not. China has it's share of ignorant people who have never had a conversation with a white or black person, basing all their knowledge on stereotypes and hearsay... So, too, do many countries. It's just easier to meet it when the population is so large... and even then, overt/direct racism in China is very rare.

And yes, I've had Black friends say the same thing. They're received worse degrees of racism in Korea, or Japan. Others, have said, for them, China is the worst.... but the idea that China is the most racist country is BS...

Look at the racism now in Ireland

• Advertisement

I get that you're being sarcastic, but it got me thinking.

Where? With whom? Some Irish people are racist... but it's either born from negative experiences with a particular race, or simply because Ireland was an isolated country for so long.

I think young people don't realize what Ireland was like less than thirty years ago. People didn't generally come here to live from abroad. Irish people left. It wasn't a place high on the list for immigrants.

I can remember as a young teenager seeing my first African family. They were different. Clothes, behavior, language. Previously, everyone I had met was white. British/European but all white or Mediterranean. Oh sure, we saw people from other colors or cultures on tv, but that's completely different from seeing them in your hometown (midlands). When I went to school, there were no black people there. No Asians. Just white people. Everywhere.

It's different now... but change takes time to take hold. I've travelled, and explored the world somewhat. I've lived in Asia, and traveled throughout parts of Africa and the M.East. So, I expanded my horizens and broadened my experiences, but I know people who never left my hometown, except to go on holidays to France or "even" Spain. Their experiences of other cultures was extremely limited, because they weren't exposed to those cultures, and had the chance to explore them.

Instead, they're told to automatically accept races, and cultures which are incredibly different from theirs. It's one of the reasons I understand China so well. My city has 9 million people, with less than 5-7k foreigners living there. Their chance to meet, and talk to a foreigner is extremely limited. Not just due to the language difference, but the cultural one too.

Now, it's different in Ireland. People from many countries go to the schools and universities... but how many people truly have the opportunity to meet and, more importantly, know other races. Let's face it. For older people, those chances are relatively slight since "foreigners" tend to stick together. Except where fate has pushed them together.

I find this push to declare racism to be extremely intolerant, because it ignores reality. I teach at a Chinese University, where most of my students have never met a foreigner until they meet me. Each year, I have to wade through a sea of stereotypes, and misunderstandings, to teach them that we're not all that different from each other... and most get it. Eventually. Some don't.

It's not racism. It's ignorance... and not all ignorance is a choice. You cannot wave a hand and declare that everyone instantly forget their past, a past that didn't involve any other races... so it should be understandable, that people need time to adjust. To gain the opportunities to meet, and explore other cultures. To learn that people, are just people, regardless of their skin color. It is who we are, personally, that makes us different. The culture we have embraced, our personalities, our values, etc.

Modern racism is not the racism I grew up knowing. Back then, it was about hatred. The Nazi's and the Jews. The English and the Irish. The genocides we heard about. A overwhelming fear and hatred that drove people to be racist.

Now... racism covers every possible reaction that does not instantly and unreservedly accepts people from other cultures. It doesn't matter your own background. It doesn't matter that you've never had the chance to learn, or grow as a person. Instead, it's arbitrary. Intolerant.

I find that those who push the racism agenda in Ireland, are intolerant. There's no space to allow people to adapt to foreigners presences. No initiative to introduce other races to Irish people. Take it or leave it. No middle ground. For or against. Black or White. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Struggle to find it outside of a few aul lads downnthe pub

I get that you're being sarcastic, but it got me thinking.

I find that those who push the racism agenda in Ireland, are intolerant. There's no space to allow people to adapt to foreigners presences. No initiative to introduce other races to Irish people. Take it or leave it. No middle ground. For or against. Black or White. :rolleyes:

brilliant post klaz

Struggle to find it outside of a few aul lads downnthe pub

I believe it exists, the very real hatred type racism. Not anything to the extent that NGOs are pushing it though.

I have found a few racists in everyday life down the years, I suppose not being a condenscending ass whenver the subject is touched leads one to have conversations with others you might not otherwise have. I also believe I've been able to change a few of their minds down the years.

I fear in this current climate real racists (albeit a tiny minority) are forced into the shadows, so we will never hear of them and think they don't exist. We never get the opportunity to challenge their insane ideas.

But now everyone is a racist, it's systematic and unconscious. Sounds a little bit too much like religion and original sin for my liking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

statesaver wrote: »
    Social welfare dependency , which is high in certain immigrant communities.,is not wanted. Pointing things like that out gets people labelled ' racist '. Yawn.

Tale as old as social welfare. You're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This has to be one of the silliest posts I have ever read on this site. You are saying our healthcare system isn't helped by immigrant workers.

Healthcare is only one area of employment and if the numbers coming were smaller the dependency is less .ie more migrants coming requires more migrants in such employment .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

There is hardly any tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

BanditLuke wrote: »
    There is hardly any tbh.

But that’s like saying there is hardly any immigrants

..well as far as acts of racism; are concerned and I can only gauge from what I have witnessed that they are generally amongst the minority. That is to say minority groups, or ethnicities who arrived from staunchly racist cultures in which case the Irish are completely bypassed in this instance.

- in their own land but how many actual Irish are harbouring newly burdgeoning racist feelings in their own minds? I have no idea and I suppose in tandem with immigration, that it can only increase how many will act them out I don’t know but from actual Irish it is witnessed very seldom as we are left to bear the brunt of a deep seated resentment that I still a relatively new affliction here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

Bobblehats wrote: »

Except it's not.

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »

..well as far as acts of racism; are concerned and I can only gauge from what I have witnessed that they are generally amongst the minority. That is to say minority groups, or ethnicities who arrived from staunchly racist cultures in which case the Irish are completely bypassed in this instance.

- in their own land but how many actual Irish are harbouring newly burdgeoning racist feelings in their own minds? I have no idea and I suppose in tandem with immigration, that it can only increase how many will act them out I don’t know but from actual Irish it is witnessed very seldom as we are left to bear the brunt of a deep seated resentment that I still a relatively new affliction here.

And... we're back to anything that doesn't instantly and unreservedly accepting of immigrants or foreigners is racist. It's not. You can be concerned with the numbers, proportions of those numbers, their reasons for coming etc, and not be racist.

and from this thread.... people are assuming that racism is on the rise.. rather than knowing that it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement