Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MOTD - Top Ten Premier League captains, Saturday, 10:25pm

• 20-03-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Match of the Day are doing a top ten series in the absence of football, with top ten captains first up on Saturday evening. Here's a clip of the first episode:

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/1240541012960788482

You can listen to the podcast here. I thought it was a fun programme. I loved Ian Wright's story on Roy Keane's response to his slagging.

The top ten captains shortlisted by BBC commentators in alphabetical order were:
    - Tony Adams

- Steven Gerrard

- Jordan Henderson

- Roy Keane

- Vincent Kompany

- Wes Morgan

- Alan Shearer

- John Terry

- Nemanja Vidic

- Patrick Vieira

I'm fine with most of those names but as a United fan I'd rather see Steve Bruce in there over Vidic. While I'd take Vidic over Bruce on quality, I'd personally regard Bruce as a better captain. Also wouldn't have Wes Morgan on my shortlist. What Leicester did was remarkable but I'd regard that as being down to the sum of their parts rather than due to an outstanding contribution from a captain. I reckon Tim Sherwood was a better captain than Wes Morgan.

Who do you reckon was the best captain of the PL era? It's an easy choice for me in Roy Keane. While he was once my favourite player I genuinely don't think bias is a factor. His contribution to United was immense and he ticks all the boxes for what I'd want from a captain. John Terry would be my second choice; don't like him as a person but he was colossal for Chelsea's successful years. Think I'd have Kompany third. We've seen how important he was to City through his absence, and he chipped in with some big goals when it mattered.

Who was the greatest Premier League captain? 37 votes

Tony Adams
    0%
    Steven Gerrard
    5%
    KaiserGunnerEggs For Dinner 2 votes
    Jordan Henderson
    5%
    Hunchbackricero 2 votes
    Roy Keane
    2%
    tanko 1 vote
    Vincent Kompany
    62%
    Mr.Nice GuyNunuxtal191dfx-Johnny UtahfergiesfollycrustyjugglerDemostheneseDeeper BlueFerris_Buellerziggyman17BillyHasMatesdmc17Cookiemunsterdr.kenneth noisewaterGael85Irish94deadlinedayy0ssar1an22DavidLyons_ 23 votes
    Wes Morgan
    10%
    POKERKINGSEPT 23 1989TFBubendorferMorrison J 4 votes
    Alan Shearer
    0%
    John Terry
    0%
    Nemanja Vidic
    10%
    mobbyeurokevOkonTheDavester 4 votes
    Patrick Vieira
    0%
    Other (specify)
    2%
    Morzadec 1 vote

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Vincent Kompany
    It's not the greatest list necessarily of someone leading their team, seems very top 4 biased - the West Brom team who survived last day for example or the Ipswich side of 2001ish

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

dfx- wrote: »
    It's not the greatest list necessarily of someone leading their team, seems very top 4 biased - the West Brom team who survived last day for example or the Ipswich side of 2001ish

Wimbledon overachieved for years was it Fashanu that captained them. Le Tissier at Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hyppia was a better captain than Henderson imo.

May as well have Sherwood if they have Morgan. Agree about Bruce over Vidic.

Keane, Adams, Gerrard and Viera out of that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sounds like they were really scrapping the barrel.

Could they not just have shown some old footage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Vincent Kompany
    I quite enjoyed it been honest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Interesting discussion.

One thing that struck me is how in media terms Man City are viewed as a minor club or freak due to their financing relative to the actual success they had with him as captain. They won all domestic trophies last season and it is rarely mentioned.

One had Terry at no1 despite some of the problems he caused and were attributed to him at Chelsea.

Or Gerrard pushed into top 5 because he was Liverpool captain. The club he was at increases the perception of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Vincent Kompany
    The English Tax attached to Gerard and Terry is scary! Good players Good Captains but bigged up due too the country they were born in where as Keane and Kompany are down played a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Vincent Kompany
    No William Gallas?

Advertisement