Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So are you feeling about all this?

Options
  • 20-03-2020 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Not a thread for arguing, or speculation. Just asking how you are, really.

I'm finding it all a bit surreal. Worked at home yesterday and today and have been told I can continue doing it until this is over. Usually have to get a bus and we have a 3 month old at home so my boss said he'll continue to go into the office until he's told otherwise as he walks.

I'm following all guidelines and washing hands when I come in etc. My Mother is missing me bringing her granddaughter over. Video calls just aren't the same. But not knowing when life will go back to normal is a bit bizarre.

Hopefully a vaccine or something comes along within a couple of months.

Not really sure the point of this thread and not even sure how I'm feeling. Just fed up, I suppose.

I am fully aware that people are dying and families are worse affected than I am. I'm not forgetting that but there are plenty of more serious threads about this.

So anyway, how are you?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Three weeks ago, 2020 looked awesome. Business was booming and as someone who is self-employed, it really felt like I was on track for a breakthrough year.

Had loads of **** planned. Trevor Noah tomorrow. London break at Easter. Wwe taping their first ever PPVin Dublin. Florida trip in the summer. Tickets to Phantom which I’ve never seen.

And in three weeks, it feels like everything I’ve been looking forward to has been stripped away. All the shows and events canceled, sales down 60% so the business is struggling. Pretty much every food place I like is shut down, and no clue if I’ll ever see them open again.

As you said, not knowing when this will settle down properly is a mind melter. Usually when **** hits the fan, at least you can have something ahead to focus on, a prize at the end of a rough road.

Having a disease hanging over your head instead, an inevitable sickness, is Just doing so much damage to my mental health.

So trying to compartmentalize a lot right now. Not sure how health it is to do a day at a time, but trying to stay positive. Business is down but the positive is I know it will pick back up when things settle even remotely. Strong possibility that UBI comes in which I think is a great idea and would be a massive boon to life. And, for now anyway, I’m the fittest I’ve been in about two years, with loads of time to focus on getting better,

One day at a time, I guess. Just....I think everyone will be suffering from whiplash with how quickly this all happened....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Feel really off.

Social distancing like a mofo to protect the vulnerable people in my life (I care for elderly relatives who would not survive without me so option to avoid them impossible).

Am a teacher so the change in setup has been stressful.

And an overwhelming panic over the entire thing. I don’t deal well with change or uncertainty and I don’t know when I will get a routine again.

Like a lot of people I'm struggling to grasp the reality of it, it still feels like a dream. In London at the moment but cant come home as the mother is high risk, not to mention the travel restrictions so itll be a while before I see the family again which is a strange feeling.

One thing I'm seeing so much of is kindness toward other people which is really giving me a boost. The negativity of political debates, influencer culture and celebrity worship seems to have fallen to the background and the internet seems a nicer place (albeit this may only be my perspective in a tiny bubble)

I dont see how things will ever be the same after this, but I'm hopeful and optimistic that we'll come out with societal changes for the better. That's what's keeping me going mentally

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

You know when you breakup from a long term partner and - regardless of who finished it - if you really loved them - you wake up in the mornings and this heavy realisation hits you after a few seconds?

I’ve been like that all week.

I’ve done so much reading on this on credible sources and I’ve done the maths. This is the worst thing humankind will see in a hundred years, there’s no sugarcoating it.

I’m usually a very half glass full kind of person and look for the positivity in life. But my gut feeling on this isn’t great at all.

Sometimes in life you’re worried about your job, family, travel, the economy, your health etc., but very rarely all together.

Covid melts all of them together into one big horrible b*stard of a thing and says “deal with it”

I’ve more thoughts but maybe for another night. Thanks for starting the thread OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Kalico92 wrote: »
    not to mention the travel restrictions so itll be a while before I see the family again

What travel restrictions are there from UK to Ireland? I don’t think there are any unless things changed today, I’ve been doing my best to take a break from the news so might have missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

This current crisis is surreal and unbelievable. It is like we are in a movie.However we live in a word where Donald Trump and Borris Johnson are in power so is it any surprise. What next ? Aliens . Vampires or superheroes wouldnt surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its just plain weird and surreal.

OH and kids are at home now, I do the food runs so that we limit exposure.
    But I am still working. At present, no plans to work from home so I am the risk to the family group as I am the one likely to bring it into the house.

Thankfully the weather the last week has been pleasant so we have had time out around the house, doing some gardening with kids getting play time. Also been at the local beach a handful of times and out on bikes.

But I also have an elderly mother who I visit, so trying to keep my distance from her, as she isn't taking it too seriously unfortunately.

But can't believe how long the last week seems. Kids only off school a week, feels like a month! Its going to be a long slog to get the country back to any semblance of normality.

I'm guessing it'll be Sept before the schools are back. Hopefully my work can continue to function but as its a factory environment there is a fair chance we will be hit and that could change circumstances considerably.

As long as we all come out the other side of this, that's all we can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The whole thing is starting to make me paranoid. I begged my wife not to go to the shops today, in case they were too full!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Like many have said, it is absolutely surreal. I knew it was coming, but the realisation that it is now here is hard to come to terms with.

I love my life and it has been utterly dismantled to the basics.

The most profound realisation that I live so far from home has been the most worrying part. The fact that I cannot see my brothers and sisters and mother should something happen is for me, devastating.

The money for living has never been the most important thing for me, now even more so. I realise that those I love are the most important thing in life (not that I didn’t know that already), the level of protection of those that work for me/with me has really come to the fore. They are part of my family and I want to make sure each and everyone of them are safe.

The last week here in the States has been a worrisome time for me. The work from home rule being implemented tomorrow where I live, was obvious. It has been stress all the time, with people away from their homes (by choice) organising that people can get paid (america sucks in this respect), making sure that people will have a job after all of this. Making sure people have money, making sure that they can at least know the basics of hygiene and self survival has been a nightmare.

I have made sure that brothers and sisters and mam have enough money for the next 6 months.

My own family here, I have drummed into them the importance of what I have been saying, despite being told I was a “fearmonger” two weeks ago.

I am the protector of all, the sense of helplessness is mind-numbing, not being in charge of this is the worst part for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It’s like you wake up every morning thinking this has been a dream and whoops then you realise, nope it’s real this is our new reality niw.

We lucky as we still working but we’ve no childcare so this week kids age 13&11 were alone for 3hrs. Next week I’ve no option but to work days and I can’t cope thinking how will they manage all day. But both parents have health issues and afterschools are CLosed and I can’t handle sending them to another house, as thst widens the circle... but it’s likely husbands job will finish up soon so fingers crossed (if he heard me say that). There’s more benefits to my job so that’s thst.

My oldest has prob finished primary without knowing it... that’s weird. He is withering inside with sports. It’s a huge loss yo him.

My daughter is happy out on Snapchat but that’ll wear off too.

It’s the unknown that’s scary. And it’s so hard not calling to my parents. But we are sticking to social distancing v strictly. But it’s hard not to see cousins too.

I know others have it tougher, Perhaps fisncially or kids eith exams or caring for elderly etc. those poor people who need cancer treatments or any operation or outpatients etc. nightmare.

So our house is luckier than most. So it’s one day at a time. But it’s a scary new reality fir us sll.

• Advertisement

Its some of the things we are hearing that really hit hard sometimes.

Example, tonight I heard a guy from the funeral directors association on the radio.

Basically saying that if someone dies now, they aren't really allowed a wake. They aren't to publicise the time of the service/burial, for fear of attracting people to it.

This all means people are dying and having just a handful of immediate family at the funeral. The irish wake is a big thing in dealing with a loss, and I think the rmeoval of them will have issues further down the line in that some people won't be able to grieve as they used to.

Plus, if the deceased dies of COVID, they aren't even embalmed or allowed an open coffin. How hard would that be if your family member died and you couldn't even see them before burial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

NIMAN wrote: »
    Its some of the things we are hearing that really hit hard sometimes.

Example, tonight I heard a guy from the funeral directors association on the radio.

Basically saying that if someone dies now, they aren't really allowed a wake. They aren't to publicise the time of the service/burial, for fear of attracting people to it.

This all means people are dying and having just a handful of immediate family at the funeral. The irish wake is a big thing in dealing with a loss, and I think the rmeoval of them will have issues further down the line in that some people won't be able to grieve as they used to.

Plus, if the deceased dies of COVID, they aren't even embalmed or allowed an open coffin. How hard would that be if your family member died and you couldn't even see them before burial?

I just cannot imagine this...don’t really want to even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think the funerals is the hardest thing. So sad. We Irish have a huge releationship with funerals. It’s a huge thing to
    Bury a family member with the usual rituals. Very sad.

Its the sheer speed of it too.

Just 3 weeks ago, everything was functioning as normal.
    You were thinking of your summer holiday, your weekend break, the sport you follow, Brexit!, etc.

And in such a space of time, we have 200,000 made unemployed, people are fighting over toilet roll, the streets are quiet, the kids can't see their friends, their cousins, their grannies.

Plus, we have the potential that the global economy will be ruined for many years to come.

It really is like a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I'm just finding it all surreal. I thought 2020 was shaping up to be great too and had all sorts of plans which are now completely gone. I don't really know what the future holds job wise over the weeks and months ahead.

I had some academic project ideas I was about to pursue, but they're all not realistic now due to inability to do fieldwork without putting my health at risk.

Basically, I'm now working from home and haven't been outside the door other than to go to the supermarket, which was felt weird. I didn't want to be there. I was afraid to spend any time outside really at all.

I'm trying to keep in touch with friends online. Some of them are great, others aren't or seem to make being friendly an enormous effort, so I assume those friendships will probably fizzle out in the absence of the pub.

I can't even just go for a wander and grab a coffee somewhere. In a few months time, will there even be an coffee shops or restaurants, or will that era of the economy be gone?

I also broke up a few years ago, so I'll be doing this single which is fine, but it's more isolated.

I guess what's getting to me is I'm not seeing any conclusion to this. The whole thing's up in the air and open ended and it feels like a lot of those in key positions of power abroad, especially in the US and UK are basically total idiots, so that doesn't really leave me with much hope of a solution being found.

The whole thing is utterly weird and it's like I've stepped into some kind of dystopian nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2020 really looked like a great year for me personally and business wise. I finished my work week this evening in our small retail shop putting up a perspex screen guard on the counter and marking out distancing spaces on the floor. I stood back and thought, I can't believe I just had to do that. I was in dunnes and an announcement came on over the PA about keeping distant, doing your shopping quickly etc. I felt for that moment like I was living in a dystopia.

What a crazy week, I'm mentally exhausted from the uncertainty and panic in the air. And its only beginning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I honestly think the worst aspect of it is that, even unlike the financial crisis, I feel there's no sense of control over this.

Normally, you could have looked towards some sense of competency from the US in particular on a big technical challenge like this, but now they're just a joke. I mean seriously a reality TV personality surrounded by a bunch of right wing nutters running the show?

You've big international institutions facing damage from the jingoistic nonsense that's been going on too - EU, NATO, UN etc etc..

Personally, I don't have any control over it and also there's no where to go to that's going to be in any better situation.

I mean, in 2008 if worst came to worst, you could have emigrated because the financial crisis was in a few places and not others, but this thing is everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

Very surreal as others have said. My 70 year old ma, who’s as healthy as I am, keeps saying “make sure they don’t write me off and leave me in a corner”. This makes me very sad. I can’t remember anything ever phasing her but this has. And not seeing Nieces and mates. I’ve just had a 8 way video chat on Messenger with friends ( music and cans also). But sad is the overriding feeling if I’m to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I actually feel ok about it. I'm listening to the advice from the HSE and from WHO. I'm doing everything suggested and things I know myself to make sense. These things I have shared with my family and friends. For the most part they are listening. Social Media tbh is a scourge at the moment ( I get the irony of what I'm saying).
    In 2011 it seemed it was everyone for themselves I get the impression this time it's different. United. We are going to lose some of our loved ones but we need to be strong for those who pull through.
    This crisis will cause untold financial hardships but the fact that it is a worldwide crisis the means to handle it will be different from what we experienced during the austerity years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s the not knowing....

When the country will return to normal ?

Who or how many will succumb to it and any in my family or social circles ?

How much damage can and will be done to the economy and socially ?

How will society cope, as a whole ?

It’s going to be tough but if people just keep their heads, keep adherence to the advice, guidelines and directions given regardless of whether you agree or consider it bullshít... it really doesn’t matter, we will get out of this with minimal casualties IF people are humming the same tune, IF people do as ordered and be personally and socially responsible regarding distance, regarding providing leadership amongst your peer groups, family, friends etc...

Who do we need to keep an eye on ?

Socially dependent people -

My father is one, loves meeting people after mass, at the shops, has his regular nights visiting his siblings, he’s had some tough love from the rest of the family but it’s for his own good... even the pension collection he’s going to be dropped there by my mother and collected so he’s not stood outside for 20 minutes yapping with the other folk he meets there.

Overly demanding employers -

You hear a lot of employers jaw on about loyalty these days and being ‘flexible’.... bollocks ! They’d all drop you in a heartbeat, you might get a bunch of flowers sent for your deathbed before you get dropped into the ground but if your work situation CAN compromise your health, NO, don’t go in...STAY at home.. you can get another job, you can’t get another life, fûck em.

• Advertisement

Struck me today when one of my kids said they missed school!

After one week.

Its not like the summer holidays you see. Normally if they were off we'd be here, there and everywhere. But when you can't visit family and friends, go to the cinema, the play park, the GAA training etc, its not the same for them. They now face 3 - 6 months of playing with their siblings and no-one else.

Hopefully they will be back among friends soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit 50/50

Feel anxious about the virus and been out of work for a few weeks due to the closures and pubs etc not been open. Concerts and events being cancelled/postponed is a real downer too

On the other hand feel a bit relaxed and happy as theres no real pressures for the moment and I'm not feeling down looking at people on social media out drinking/on holidays etc.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Struck me today when one of my kids said they missed school!

After one week.

Its not like the summer holidays you see. Normally if they were off we'd be here, there and everywhere. But when you can't visit family and friends, go to the cinema, the play park, the GAA training etc, its not the same for them. They now face 3 - 6 months of playing with their siblings and no-one else.

Hopefully they will be back among friends soon.

Small comfort but RTE are broadcasting school, Folens are making available all school books online .
    Kids are resilient and will find other ways to interact with their friends. Imagine if the web didn't exist yet we were faced with the same crisis.
    Stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

One thing is a for definite is that it will change us all. I honestly think in a positive way. We all realise how fragile we are and how fragile the world is. How some of us have taken for granted our friends and family. We will become closer than ever. I know its killing me not being able to see my parents, not getting a hug from my mother or a handshake from my father.
    But all this will pass. I'll see them again. You'll be fine. We'll realise that money isn't everything, friends and family are.
    I try my best to be positive. I've suffered with depression and anxiety for years and was just getting through it when all this hit. But I'm doing very well. One thing I've learned is that I can't control a lot of things. So there's no point worrying about them. It's how we react to situations that will help us.
    We're seeing the goodness in people really coming out in these days. No matter what some people might say I think we're all caring and good people. Some of us just got distracted with work and money. Sorry for the long post but I'm doing my best to stay positive in this mad situation. I hope you're all doing well and we can come out the other end of this with a new found appreciation for just how delicate life is and how much we need each other.
    As the Dalai Lama said..
    'If it can be solved there is no need to worry and if it can't be solved, then worry is of no use'.

Take care lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm feeling very bad about it. The amount of people who will suffer and die, the stress the health workers are about to go through, the limits on funerals, constant negative news, the amount of job losses and economy in ruins, the fact that I won't see a lot of my family and friends in person for ages.

I can't see how it's anything but a crap situation

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I thinks there's a term for it but a little positive thing in all of this is theres no self pressure/regrets in terms of feeling left out in social circumstances cause pubs are closed/all friends/workmates are in the same boat etc

Like that depressing feeling you get on the old good friday (when pubs closed) when you know there's house parties etc on and you're stuck inside with nowhere to go

One thing is a for definite is that it will change us all. I honestly think in a positive way. We all realise how fragile we are and how fragile the world is. How some of us have taken for granted our friends and family. We will become closer than ever. I know its killing me not being able to see my parents, not getting a hug from my mother or a handshake from my father.
    But all this will pass. I'll see them again. You'll be fine. We'll realise that money isn't everything, friends and family are.
    I try my best to be positive. I've suffered with depression and anxiety for years and was just getting through it when all this hit. But I'm doing very well. One thing I've learned is that I can't control a lot of things. So there's no point worrying about them. It's how we react to situations that will help us.
    We're seeing the goodness in people really coming out in these days. No matter what some people might say I think we're all caring and good people. Some of us just got distracted with work and money. Sorry for the long post but I'm doing my best to stay positive in this mad situation. I hope you're all doing well and we can come out the other end of this with a new found appreciation for just how delicate life is and how much we need each other.
    As the Dalai Lama said..
    'If it can be solved there is no need to worry and if it can't be solved, then worry is of no use'.

Take care lads.

I called up to my elderly neighbours two days ago, offering to get what they needed in town. I live rurally up till a week ago rural living was a pain in the ass, not so much now. Have my house on the market to sell hoping to move back to my wife's home town but a few land registry issues holding up title. Anyway getting back to my neighbours I rang the doorbell and then stood back roughly 8 foot bless them they wanted me to come in for tea. I refused and explained why . I genuinely believe this will bring us closer whilst apart. We will look forward to the day when we can sit at a friend's table and chat.
    Stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I wake up every morning and I'm ok for about 30 seconds, then I'm hit with a wave of nausea and fear. I feel better in the evening as I seem to need to process the whole thing afresh every day to cope. I then don't want to go to sleep because I'm feeling ok about things late at night when being stuck inside alone seems normal, and it's like if I don't go to sleep I won't have to wake up and face it again tomorrow.

I have believed this was the likely outcome of where this was heading since the end of January. I felt overwhelmed with panic for weeks that everyone seemed to be ignoring what was coming, so I thought I would feel better once the shut downs and closures happened. But I don't. I can't actually believe this is happening and the fact theres no end in sight just feels like too much to cope with.

I have a high risk medical condition and my 76 year old mother lives with me. I have few close contacts as it is, which usually suits me fine, but they're all elderly or high risk too. I'm worried about how we'll manage practically as this gets worse with nobody to turn to. I feel powerless and wish I was in a position to either keep working or volunteer. And to top it off my dog is dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Arlessienne... I’m recovering about 85% there from something that is initially quite grim, I need this corona like a fûckin hole in the head as my rehabilitation is 90% physical, gyms, physio etc... but WE are going to adapt and overcome, don’t loose heart, focus or determination..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

On a more optimistic note, a type of 'Coronaworld' will develop, supermarkets and pharmacies will adapt, evolve and get better at dealing with this situation which is only in it's nascent stages, as well the measures being taken against it will bear fruit and will make a difference compared to what would have happened if nothing was done about it, Spanish Flu passed, Hong Kong Flu passed, sadly not everyone will make it but this will pass.

Advertisement