Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So are you feeling about all this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have been sitting here, talking to friends and family all evening and reading lots of reports online and different scenarios have been running through my head.. what if.... but... if that happens...

I am a natural planner but something keeps running through my head over and over... that is.. “what are they not telling us”

First, it was its killing older people. Now I see that from various reports that younger people with no underlying health concerns are ending up ventilated.

What terrifies me as a dad and protector is this:

the lack of actual testing (even now) in the USA. People simply do NOT know where this virus is. People are leaving the major cities for their holiday homes without knowing this, spreading it obviously.

The over-reaction of the situation here compared to actual numbers (see above) makes me feel like they know this is everywhere.

For the past few weeks I have had my offices on high hygiene practise. People not getting it, were given short change by me and some key managers. They simply didn’t get the severity of this.

I am not worried for myself but I am worried about others not using the same type of sanitation techniques.

I phoned my elderly neighbours to offer any assistance they may need over the coming weeks. (Both sides have health issues, one side severe) the ones with the severe underlying condition were clued in completely and self isolating. The other side wanted to invite people in for coffee and dinner. They didn’t “get” it, seems to be the case (even now) with many people.

Like Ireland Panic buying is everywhere. I had bought hand sanitizer weeks ago, people think you are daft. Some people just do not “get” that this is going to change life and living as we know it. Economically, socially and culturally. The only “bright” side of all of this is the pulling together of some people to aid others.. this is something I hope will continue and flourish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

I just can't wait to get back to normal simple as.

Definitely feel like I'm suffering mentally, which I never would have done before.

Can't work and have had all my plans and social outlets taken away at once.

I really worry that the lack of sports and clubs,and I don't mean the sport on television, I mean just being able to go to training a few nights each week or whatever, will take a huge mental toll on people.

I'm scared of isolation and feel myself becoming more lonely each day.

I really miss having a purpose and being able to go to work.

I hate everybody having to stay 2 metres away and avoid each other, I know it's for good reason but I'm terrified of the concept of social distancing and fear it will destroy people mentally if we have to persist with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

This is a good thread as it gives people a chance to express their fears. But it's MUCH too negative.

I'm also finding it utterly weird. A very dystopian world as many have already said. I had a very difficult end to 2019 with illness and death in my family but 2020 was starting to look good. Like others I'd nice plans made, holidays booked. And now!!

But what is really wrecking my head is the general negativity and all the doomsday scenarios, not just here. "The world will never be the same again!" "The economy will be totally destroyed!" "Scrap the whole of 2020!" "Ireland might be the next Italy!" etc, etc, etc. Ok, I've read and am now posting on this thread too so mea culpa in one sense, but just what is the point in catastrophising? In what way does it help? Because the reality is that this too shall pass. Everything does. How long it will last and how much damage it will do is really something NOBODY knows. So why not park the worries about the future and take it a day at a time?

From tomorrow I need to avoid threads like this.

But stay safe everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Welcome to real world for people
    I didnt have any holidays or gigs planned that is such a luxury for people
    Now its going to be extra hard to survive

sasta le wrote: »
    Welcome to real world for people
    I didnt have any holidays or gigs planned that is such a luxury for people
    Now its going to be extra hard to survive

We are resilient, we adapt and change. Yes life will be difficult for many, but that also means we can adapt and change to meet any adversity Sasta.

Some people ARE going to die, but that happens to us all one day. Be glad for the family or friends that you have. Small things matter, not the lack of money.

This will pass and there will two hour queues to get into Restaurants, kids will be happy to go to school, you will love your friends and family even more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

NSAman wrote: »

I phoned my elderly neighbours to offer any assistance they may need over the coming weeks. (Both sides have health issues, one side severe) the ones with the severe underlying condition were clued in completely and self isolating. The other side wanted to invite people in for coffee and dinner. They didn’t “get” it, seems to be the case (even now) with many people.

Like Ireland Panic buying is everywhere. I had bought hand sanitizer weeks ago, people think you are daft. Some people just do not “get” that this is going to change life and living as we know it. Economically, socially and culturally. The only “bright” side of all of this is the pulling together of some people to aid others.. this is something I hope will continue and flourish.

I think people, especially the ‘older’ generation are conditioned that when the shît hits the fan we all get together ‘reach out’ and be there...for each other... instead, with this major shïtstorm it’s like we are asked to go the other way and resist that instinct and isolate... they are having trouble computing this, big time... my Dad the same... have to be vigilant though, no time for sentimental weakening of resolve... common sense needs to prevail over sentiment...someone feeling lonely ? Well they’ll be lonelier in the grave, we gotta keep the head, forget sentiment, it’s from here on in about doing ‘the right thing’...

Things we can do to help...

Setting up FaceTime, Skype, conversations, showing pics of Instagram and so on...small comfort in difficult times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At times it feels like we are all in some sort of experiment. On a global scale.

"right, lets see if we can get them all to stand 6ft apart, all the time"

"lets see if we can get them all to stop using cash"

Do I sound like David Icke or Alex Jones now?

NIMAN wrote: »
    At times it feels like we are all in some sort of experiment. On a global scale.

"right, lets see if we can get them all to stand 6ft apart, all the time"

"lets see if we can get them all to stop using cash"

Do I sound like David Icke or Alex Jones now?

Nope have had those same sentiments.

The one thing that does seem evident is the cash issue.... not so much here in the States but especially in europe. I know it is of no importance in reality.

The funny thing for me (someone who jokes a HUGE amount)... when the HELL did I become an adult......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The way it has escalated so rapidly has been shocking. If you'd told me at the start of the year where we'd be by the end of March, I would have been beyond incredulous.

I've been a bit anxious this week and taking numerous precautions but don't think I'll get the virus. I'm not enjoying not having a daily routine, no leisure activities and nothing to look forward to.....it's a very strange period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Heckler

I still go to work. The supermarkets are still stocked. I won't go hungry yet.

The roads are empty in the morning. I get to work a lot faster.

I feel my work is nonessential and should close for a few weeks. They are providing all the recommended sanitary measures and advice. 1 positive case and 2 pending cases so far in our facilities. In different buildings/areas. No sign of the upper managements cars in the last week. HR bull**** emails about how the H & S of all members is foremost while they drop temporary contractors before their contract is up right in this ****storm. A ****ing CEO who either can't spell "healthy" or subs it out to HR who can't ****ing proof read. "Have a Happy and Healty St. Patricks Day". ****.

I have two elderly people with various health issues at home. I'm terrified that I will catch this bastard because I'm out and about and be the death of them.

I see a lot of people out and about (from my car) not observing social distancing and I want to roar at them for being utter cunce especially feckless bunches of teenagers who think they are immortal. (yeah I was there once too...).

Yeah, I need to calm down...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Sombre, to be honest.

On an even keel re myself internally, but very saddened this week by various things I have seen, heard and dealt with. Concerned too about how this will unfold. How can it be managed. And confused a little re what is going on, on many levels. A little mental variance that includes some suspicion, some doubt.

But mostly sombre.

Heard from a friend they will stay in strict quarantine for the long foreseeable due to their severe underlying conditions. No casual chats in the gardens then, no beers across the kitchen table.
    Saw a stooped old man wearing a mask going for a shop. It looked tragic somehow.
    Read the notices on doors of various establishments, the amount of people thus unemployed. How will they manage. There are hundreds in our area alone.
    Had the door of the pharmacy unlocked by a girl in white coat, mask and gloves. This is the way they do business now.
    Did the check out dance a few times with the cashier stepping back while I place goods, I stepping back and the cashier stepping forward to scan, and the cashier stepping back while I pay, etc, them behind perspex (thank goodness) and wearing gloves. The fear on them, naturally.
    Saw the signs everywhere, keep back, closed, items restricted, saw the DIY lines taped to floors in post offices, supermarkets, the improvised barriers put up in front of counters. People nervously back stepping and shyly grinning, trying to be good, to socially distance, all a little incredulous that in a mere fortnight it has come to this.
    Dealt with staff who all have very different concerns, their job, money, their health and safety, the health of their loved ones, how to mind children, trapped here if from abroad, trapped there if at home on holiday. Many and increasing individual stories of fret, hardship and even anger. Feeling inadequate because I cannot assuage them. It is all uncertain and there is no magic wand.
    Trying to mentally accommodate the incomprehensible scenes from Northern Italy. Iran. More and more places.
    Have woken a couple of times in quiet dark hours and thought of all my elderly relatives, the whole mad lovely tribe of them, wild eccentric characters in a large and long lived family. Hoping that there will be no deaths, no circumscribed goodbyes. Hoping they are not too frightened.

Yep. Sombre now.
    All we can do, whatever this is, is get through it.

I still feel I’m not doing enough. I’m going to work but there’s a few other people there and I’ve needed a couple of things in the local shop. I think I just need to not go outside the door at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Im semi bemused.... Kinda huh.... I look out the window and think...wait everything seems ok....birds singing...sun shining....maybe its not as bad as i think....double check the news again...hang on.... then check the latest news and say.... Ohh Ballix :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've been finding this whole thing interesting/eye-opening more than anything else. I get that scared people will look out for themselves or their small group, and that explains things like panic buying.
    I like seeing how many people want to help, that's really encouraging, there's a sense of a shared goal, it's like World Cup '90 :D.
    Then there's the third group, and I find the number of them worrying. These are the people who couldn't give a flying fcuk about others and can think only in terms of how this affects them. They want to go out to the pubs and restaurants and aren't worried about this thing spreading because they're confident they won't get it bad. I'm sure there are some people genuinely afraid that an economic collapse would have worse effects than the virus, but the selfish group have latched on to that argument as they realise how bad the optics of truthfully telling everyone how they don't care about others would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not worried about myself but I'm just trying as hard as possible not to be a potential spreader. The wife is also newly preggers so that's very much a concern. She's on 12 week isolation from work now too and has been in tears at the news coming back from colleagues (ITU/Critical Care nurses). I obviously cant go into detail but do not think you're too young for this thing to screw you over. The community spirit around here has been unbelievable but it pains me not to be able to help because of herselfs vulnerable status.

I've been wfh for the last two weeks - not isolating, just how my calendar fell together. Business has been booming but I would assume that'll come to an abrupt end if/when borders are completely shut. So while not concerned about the job just now, I'd be lieing if I said I didnt have one eye on the future.

Got news on Thursday that one of the friends was likely being let go - their 2nd kid due in 2 weeks. That also knocked us, I didnt know what to say to the bloke. Now the UK government are bailing out companies I assume he'll be alright now.

We've been educating our 3 yr old about all this going on and I have to say she's been a little star. She's the hand wash warden, i've never been given out to so much in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I'm handling it fine, i usually go through my working day with only having to meet 4 or 5 people whom i now keep a good distance from, i live in the country so i travel on my own to work, i still call to see my mother after work but keep my distance and only stay a short while, so nothing much has changed for me.

I find find it hard to fathom some of the language here being used to describe what people are going through and can only assume most are city/town living, what was only a month ago convenient central living seems to have become more like prison because of the proximity to others, some very emotional language being used and i hope people can cope in the short term, remember it won't last forever.

I'm going off to work now shortly, i normally work on my own and thank my lucky stars I'm high up in the hills away from the towns and people and near a beautiful beach we can bring the dogs in the morning.
    Remember also isolation is a normal part of life for many elderly people, we're only a few days into what could turn into months, keep the head up and we'll get through it, now is not the time for self pity

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

I'm in a bit of a different situation. I'm pregnant and on rest since before Christmas. Up until this pandemic I've only been going to hospital appointments and the local centra a few times a week but have been spending most of my time on the couch. So it hasn't been that much of an adjustment for me. Only difference is that my husband is now working from home and my 4 year old is here and I'm trying to mind him while resting. I love having them both here. The days used to be really lonely. I don't go into shops anymore and my husband is the only one who goes into shops. we often go for drives out to the beach (live close to a very popular one and we've been avoiding it, it's too packed, tend to visit smaller ones ). Also have gotten to know our neighbours a bit better too, but only from long distance chats over our walls.

I know this all sounds completely selfish, and like everyone else here I am terrified that my own family or friends will be seriously affected by this coronavirus. As well as being terrified of giving birth in the middle of this pandemic and trying to protect a newborn baby. I am high risk of having a premature baby and can't imagine how a preemie would survive catching this.

My wife and I decided we were finally ready to have a baby and she is now 8 weeks pregnant.
    It should be an exciting time I guess but it’s hard right now knowing that so many are dying around the world and we’re only at the start of this.

My short term concern is her health and the babies health, along with job security.

After that, getting through another recession will be tough.

Trying to convince my wife to just stay in is hard as well. She likes to get out for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I was quarantined about 3 weeks ago due to health issues. I was on some strong steroids which ruin my immune system so i had to stay in doors completely.

Week 3 has been really tough. Luckily i can go outside now and walk/run. That has been a great gift this week. However, I am feeling i tough this week.

I am practicing social distancing etc.. but im having a major issue this week with my live in girlfriend.

She is desperate for social attention, tons of insecurities etc. Shes young.
    She wants to go to events, groups, etc.. Her young wreckless friends are ignoring social distancing. They haven changed their life style at all.
    I had to put my boundaries down because im in a very high risk category. My gf understands this but is so needy for FOMO/insecurity that shes actually deciding yesterday/today if she is going to social distance or not.

If she decides not, we need to take a break/split. My health is my top concern and I cant risk it for such non essential needs.

I'm trying to be non judgmental about it. These are her needs. Shes young and feels invincible. She cant hold the level of empathy needs for children, old, high risk people she never met.
    Im doing pretty good considering. I'm not angry at her, nor am i really afraid for my own selfish need in it. I feel like my choice is the societal conscious, and self serving choice at the same time. My peace is made with it.

Its tough knowing someone is choosing between your health and socializing though. Before all this is over.. 2 things will happen.

Young people will experience loss and develop more empathy OR
    We will protect the risky, and young people will be saved the experience of loss, and that will be a gift to them from the responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My wife and I decided we were finally ready to have a baby and she is now 8 weeks pregnant. It should be an exciting time I guess but it’s hard right now knowing that so many are dying around the world and we’re only at the start of this.

Best of luck with things, by taking the necessary precautions, I'm sure everything will be fine for you folk, I can understand your wife wanting/needing to get out, I'm the same

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

NSAman wrote: »

What terrifies me as a dad and protector is this:

the lack of actual testing (even now) in the USA. People simply do NOT know where this virus is. People are leaving the major cities for their holiday homes without knowing this, spreading it obviously.

The over-reaction of the situation here compared to actual numbers (see above) makes me feel like they know this is everywhere.

I’m not sure if I’ve been able to articulate this properly yet.

But I have had the same feelings, but in a way that actually makes it a little easier to accept.

I genuinely believe this is drastically underreported in terms of how widespread it is. The sheer number of celebrities, politicians, sports stars affected is insane. You’ve got the (“wife’s of the”) presidents of Canada, Spain, Brazil infected. Multiple top level footballers. Idris Elba and Tom Hanks. MPs in the UK. A lot of whom were showing no symptoms but tested as a precaution.

Think of how prevalent that diseases must be spread already for so so many famous people to get it.

There was, what, 10000 reported cases in Italy two weeks ago. Less? And yet a shocking number of people want to Italy and brought it home. For them all to come into contact with a relatively small number of infected people while abroad is statistically impossible.

Statistically, the rapid spread makes very little sense unless you start multiplying the confirmed cases by the 100s. Italy’s death rate is heartbreakingly high, but totally out of line with every other country, and they seemingly are only testing people who are diagnosed badly enough to require hospital treatment. Their fatality number would make way more sense if their infection rate was many multiples higher than what they can test and confirm. The speed at which this has spread across the globe in seemingly three weeks just is mind boggling, unless we say there’s tens of thousands undiagnosed cases. And the countries with the lowest fatality figures are the ones mass testing.

There’s reports that anywhere between 50-75% show no symptoms when they get it. And I will stress, I am not downplaying how severe the disease will and can be for a lot of people. Even adjusting the fatality rate right down, it is a horrific figure.

Where I try and take solace though is how many people seem to get it, and at most it’s only a minor cold for a few days. If it is so wildly spread already, if the vast majority of people get it and barely notice, then we can breath slightly easier in terms of worry about the sword hanging over our heads.

Of course maintain due diligence. Social distancing is the minimum we need, and we need to do what we can to maintain the lowest fatality rate possible. This is not advocating a relaxing of such standards. Especially for the elderly and those with underlying conditions, we have to take this on the chin for a bit.

But being trapped inside for weeks while also having to worry bout the illness is wrecking my head. I find it much easier to accept it if I believe that 95% of people will only suffer, at worst, mild symptoms, if they even notice at all.

Honestly, as someone with personal space issues, I’m hoping a large chunk of these social distancing measures take place a little more permenantly too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The celebrities getting it could be because in today's world, they would get swamped being asked for selfies or shaking hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

I work in a hospital, atmosphere is like lots of places strange. As part of my work I’m in every department from maternity to mortuary. We all doing what we can Front Line, Back Line, Porter’s, Cleaners,Catering, Admin, Maintenance n Services, we are all there for as long we will be able and we feel proud to be able to do so.
    The people I feel really sorry for are the patients who can have no visitors from family and loved ones. On the other hand those families n loved ones have problems contacting the patients as many of them are not able to communicate by phone. The nurses n Hcas are those patients families in these unbelievable n unreal times
    Atmosphere is strange like every where, we are doing what’s asked of us n at same time waiting for the bang when they say it will get to its peak. Please God we will cope n it won’t be as bad as in other countries. Proud to be part of what has been a much maligned HSE,proud of our leaders N managers, proud of our Government for showing leadership at last. Proud of the huge majority of our people who are stepping up to the mark n taking it on the chin. To the A________ who are putting the rest of us at risk by doing what they want to do I say please please cop on to yourselves n fall in with the rest of us.
    We are heading into the unknown n who knows but when we come out the other side, it will be eventually to a better world. A world where we will realise that we are all equal n we maybe don’t need to be able to do n have what we wan instantly.
    Off to work now, hope this makes sense to some people at least. Stay safe n look out for one another like your life depends on it because it does

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

Its hard for everyone. I can imagine.
    I am trying to self isolate from my oh and children as have symptoms since Monday and awaiting testing..its driving me mad, I like being busy.
    Have 2 boys with asd.majorly struggling with change in all aspects of life

My 14 month old is ignoring me as I cannot touch her/pick her up.

My nan is dying of terminal cancer- has 6 months left at most and we cant physically touch her or go visit properly. Its breaking my heart that my children or I may never hug her again. We dont want to kill her sooner with any unnecessary illness.

I also have anxiety and cos mainly around.cleaning/ keeping things tidy so this invisible sometimes fatal enemy is freaking me.

Its hard for everyone. I can imagine. I am trying to self isolate from my oh and children as have symptoms since Monday and awaiting testing..its driving me mad, I like being busy. Have 2 boys with asd.majorly struggling with change in all aspects of life

I've asd myself, just about managing my anxiety levels, couldn't imagine what it's like to manage 2 kids with it, and all the other stuff going on in your life. Best of luck with things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

I've been a bit of a bubble, work in the pharmacy industry, specifically supply so my day to day has literally been manic. Haven't had time to digest really as I'm renovating a house aswell. Kind of smacked me in the face yesterday, work felt a sense of normality on Thursday before another chaotic day yesterday. Hoping to park myself in the house from tomorrow and not move however the nature of the job doesn't really lend itself to it.

Added in I'm asthmatic, other half is pregnant and you actually realise how vulnerable you really are to this thing hitting. There is a sense of they arent telling us everything but the actions speak loud enough that everyone should take it seriously and limit your movements as much as possible

duffman13 wrote:
    Added in I'm asthmatic, other half is pregnant and you actually realise how vulnerable you really are to this thing hitting. There is a sense of they arent telling us everything but the actions speak loud enough that everyone should take it seriously and limit your movements as much as possible

Who's they, and what aren't they telling us?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Little rossie

I am finding it very hard to cope with this virus doing the rounds that my family and myself with get it. But trying to keep busy. It's on my mind constantly.

I just told my daughter and her husband that I don't think I should be minding their child as I feel they might bring the virus into my house, they were not too happy. They are both working. Their creche closed so they are really stuck. I feel I let them down badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I am finding it very hard to cope with this virus doing the rounds that my family and myself with get it. But trying to keep busy. It's on my mind constantly.

I just told my daughter and her husband that I don't think I should be minding their child as I feel they might bring the virus into my house, they were not too happy. They are both working. Their creche closed so they are really stuck. I feel I let them down badly.

I'm supposed to be in Dublin right now but decided against it quite a while ago. Travelling through 2 airports, an hour on a plane and then rocking up to the mothers house just seems like a terrible idea. My parents are not quite in the very high risk age group but still, common sense has to be applied. The mother wasn't happy when I told her because she has an easter egg for our little one. . . . :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

I can see why you feel guilty but I'm sure they will be able to adjust. I wouldn't like my mother to be minding my 4 year old. In fact I've told her not to call. You need to look after yourself. I'm sure once they think about it logically they will see its the best course of action for you. Unless they are both in the healthcare sector I'm sure they can work from home or reduce working hours. Wishing you all the best and hope you stay safe.

Advertisement