Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So are you feeling about all this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

It's surreal but I'm very calm, taking in handy and focusing on the positive i.e. the good job being done do far, our relatively young population, the fact most of my family & friends are taking it seriously etc.

As with every crisis, I know what I'm like and the time will come when it's all over and my emotions will really flow then when I can afford to have them but for now going to pieces won't help me or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I just told my daughter and her husband that I don't think I should be minding their child as I feel they might bring the virus into my house, they were not too happy. They are both working. Their creche closed so they are really stuck. I feel I let them down badly.

Please don't feel bad,you need to look after yourself. You are less use to them dead!

My mam looks after my kids when I am working but hasn't been in the last 2 weeks because my husband is at home . We met with my parents yesterday for a quick walk and they both lifted my toddler at one point. I am in physical pain about how guilty I feel about it. They are taking the threat of the virus seriously overall but they obviously couldn't help have a quick cuddle with my son. They are mid 60's but my dad is vulnerable due to other health issues. We just can't meet up again. I hope I haven't put them in harm's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Feeling very strange to be honest but not panicking about catching it but definitely worrying a bit and rightly so.

As I work with the public and have to interact with others I'm at a higher risk too such as anyone else on the front line.

Driving a bus around Dublin city and surrounding areas and ferrying those that have no choice but to also get to work.

It's so strange each day how quiet it has become since last Thursday where it was madness with the amount I seen with trolleys, bags and buggies full of toilet rolls.

Yesterday I noticed as driving through the city some shops and pubs were putting up wood panels across their doors and windows which honestly made the mood for me tip a little more as it's starting to look like the possibility of trouble ahead such as looting or worse but obviously I do hope not.

Never in my life have I seen so many Gardai on the beat walking or in vehicles.

Seeing more activity with the army also.

I can see this as a time for change though and for people's health and the environment where less travel as they honestly don't need to such as working from home as they do just as good a job or actually maybe even better in many cases.

One thing I would like to see and also would love ideas where we can actually help eachother and businesses that I would hate to see go.

Even if people only had small amounts as due to job losses and such which I'm so so sorry they have to go through that and the worry as others have said 2020 was looking to be and absolute belter of a year with everything buzzing and jobs a plenty.

We have worrying times ahead and I honestly hope we pull through but do something different to the recession from before and we actually get people out spending and keep the country and shops alive....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Please don't feel bad,you need to look after yourself. You are less use to them dead!

My mam looks after my kids when I am working but hasn't been in the last 2 weeks because my husband is at home . We met with my parents yesterday for a quick walk and they both lifted my toddler at one point. I am in physical pain about how guilty I feel about it. They are taking the threat of the virus seriously overall but they obviously couldn't help have a quick cuddle with my son. They are mid 60's but my dad is vulnerable due to other health issues. We just can't meet up again. I hope I haven't put them in harm's way.

I just want to wish you the best. Very touching.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Going a bit mad.
    I go out to the beach with the kids and it is all lovely and normal.
    I come home and it is not normal.Just feel like the few adult things you have as a parent have all been taken away.
    Bitter, if I am honest...I feel that we will be sitting home keeping kids in, for 2-3 weeks, and then because of other people basically getting on with their lives outside, there will be another few weeks tagged on top of that of total lockdown...I don't want to feel it, but I feel resentful that a chunk of society is bearing a massive brunt in this to protect those who just seem to keep going.
    Sad for my kids because I don't think they will go back to the same teachers as they were with a week ago, wondering how to explain it to them come September.Feel like they have been cheated out of a small bit of their little lives.
    Delighted, at the same time,that I get weeks at home with my babies....time that I didn't think I would get again since I don"t plan on any more maternity leaves.
    Worried, about family members with bad asthma.
    Completely bowled over by the generosity and spirit of my local area, how small businesses have really taken this to heart and are going to amazing lengths to keep us all going around here,to keep people safe yet still allow them to keep some tiny form of normality.
    Hopeful watching our numbers and efforts to date, yet very uncertain about where this will end, and a wee bit worried about one of us catching it.

That's a lot of emotions, when I write it down.But I suppose we are doing ok, it could be a lot worse for us as a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

It is very hard to see the wood for the trees right now. What I will say, and what has worked for me, look to China/N Korea etc. They are coming out of this and we will too. I honestly dont think I would rather be in an other country right now than here. I feel they have taken fast action and have heeded the advice coming from WHO, Italy and China. It is in our hands now, as they keep trying to drill home to us. Keep your bloody distance!!

There are a lot of positives for us - our relatively young demographic, low density and population, our knowledge of Respiratory illness (highest rate of CF in the world etc). I do think these will all aid us in fighting this ****er. Also, do not forget the forward planning. We are preempting the increase, we have found 10,000 additional Isolation beds, both China and Italy didnt have the luxury of forward planning.

I must say, I have been brought to tears numerous times from our response - be it 40,000 people signing up to help the HSE, the Feed the Heros fund which has topped 250k, the very direct and "no bull****" speech from Leo on Paddys Day (compared to that bloated orange gob****e in the White House and his Brit counterpart). I genuinely feel we have as big a hold on this as we possibly can. I say this with two parents who would most likely not survive covid-19 and a father in law who is also highly vulnerable. We know our enemy, we know how to avoid it, we know what we need to do and we just need to lie low for the foreseeable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I honestly feel sick, I’m isolated and can’t see my kids for their safety and have to go back to work for the hse on Monday in admin, where they have done f all to protect us, I’m really suffering mentally and I think it’s the unknown, how bad will it get and for how long , could I lose my elderly parents

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Think most people are in denial stage , so was I , I won't get it etc etc.

Wife is healthcare workers and in direct contact so really now looks to be a matter of time before we get it. So have change from thinking i won't to hoping be ok when get it.

Hope we both get mild dose and recover but worry about it and toddler getting it. Terrified of it.

Also though beginning to think as a society we are viewing this as we won't get it , but there is no real evidence of that. Government are slowing it down not stopping it. The 60% infection rate models are probably right and the cocooning is next step to lessen burden on health service

If we look at this clinically we are trying to flatten the curve etc slow it down which all translates to people getting infected but at slower rate.
    We shud all do what we can to help slow it.

But should we be more thinking "when" we get it.
    Vaccine will be i would expect 24 months before average Joe soap would get it. That's assuming there is a viable vaccine to a corona virus.

Treatments like Remedesivir look very hopeful as viral treatment which I hope will work and decrease mortality rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Like anyone it all feels a bit surreal, trying my best to be positive at times, it's the boredom which is the worst, even going for regular walks sitting at home most of the time is desperate and ive no idea how anyone does that regulary.

Having said that im lucky i can work from home,my missus is one of the 150k who has temporarily lost her job in the hospitality sector and suddenly finds herself having to try and survive on €203 a week ,but she knows she isn't the only one and just have to make the best of it until this passes.

When all this is over i hope people spend less time complaining and getting offended about stupid things, be nicer to each other, help others less fortunate and live life the right way, im glad i dont be on Facebook anymore, an absolute cesspit of garbage, fake lies and scaremongering,please dont believe anything you read on social media and only on the official channels like the HSE website,etc.

Anyway try and remain upbeat everyone, help others and practice social distancing, wash hands regularly,etc, etc and we'll all get through this together.

I honestly feel sick, I’m isolated and can’t see my kids for their safety and have to go back to work for the hse on Monday in admin, where they have done f all to protect us, I’m really suffering mentally and I think it’s the unknown, how bad will it get and for how long , could I lose my elderly parents

chin up mate. we'll all get through this together,everyone is finding it tough, stay positive

• Advertisement

Also instead watching the news several times a day which just adds to the worry and anxiety ive started watching more comedy to take my mind off things, might sound cheesy but it's escapism for a few hours so something like this recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 learner161

We have worrying times ahead and I honestly hope we pull through but do something different to the recession from before and we actually get people out spending and keep the country and shops alive....

Leo speech was like oh we have to pay it back, as we know that will be through increase taxes. However, if we want to people spend money then taxes can't increase as there will be less disposable income. Furthermore, people associate tax hikes as a country in recession so they will hoard the money than spend it as they know prices will fall so they will wait to buy later and then really putting the economy into a downturn. I feel by Leo saying that has put a lot of uncertainty into people's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Are your kids grown up that u're avoiding them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It is very hard to see the wood for the trees right now. What I will say, and what has worked for me, look to China/N Korea etc. They are coming out of this and we will too. I honestly dont think I would rather be in an other country right now than here. I feel they have taken fast action and have heeded the advice coming from WHO, Italy and China. It is in our hands now, as they keep trying to drill home to us. Keep your bloody distance!!

There are a lot of positives for us - our relatively young demographic, low density and population, our knowledge of Respiratory illness (highest rate of CF in the world etc). I do think these will all aid us in fighting this ****er. Also, do not forget the forward planning. We are preempting the increase, we have found 10,000 additional Isolation beds, both China and Italy didnt have the luxury of forward planning.

I must say, I have been brought to tears numerous times from our response - be it 40,000 people signing up to help the HSE, the Feed the Heros fund which has topped 250k, the very direct and "no bull****" speech from Leo on Paddys Day (compared to that bloated orange gob****e in the White House and his Brit counterpart). I genuinely feel we have as big a hold on this as we possibly can. I say this with two parents who would most likely not survive covid-19 and a father in law who is also highly vulnerable. We know our enemy, we know how to avoid it, we know what we need to do and we just need to lie low for the foreseeable.

It's time I think....we all struggle with the concept of something taking time, specially in today's instant world.Realisitically we are probably talking about a couple of months,as you point out, but it just feels like forever right now.
    The Irish spirit of generosity does shine through though.Which is superb to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My anxiety about this comes and goes but I am worried and I haven't slept through the night in over a week.

We are fine at the moment. Husband now working from home and will be for the foreseeable. He doesn't miss the 3 hour round-trip commute on public transport to Dublin. He is Public Sector so at least we don't need to worry about him losing his job.

I have been a SAHM for a number of years. I had planned a return to the work force in 2020. I was meant to have an interview last week but the firm have postponed it until they see how this pans out which is fair enough.

Kids are fine for the most part after a rough few days. They miss their friends and their various activities. They are both heavily involved in our local GAA Club and they really miss that.

I am worried about my family. My older sister lives in rural France, having spent some time in the Middle East. She and her family were meant to come home for my Mum's significant Birthday in at the end of April but that won't happen now. My younger sister lives in Dublin and is still working.
    My Mum and youngest sister who has special needs live 3.5 hours from me. They are self-isolating since my Mum finally started listening to us last week.
    I have no idea when we will all be in the same place at the same time again.

I am glad that I kept an eye on the spread of this virus and began adding a few extra items to the trolley weeks ago.

We have postponed our trip to the UK at Easter and it is extremely unlikely that we will get to Italy at the end of June. A trip that we had carefully planned for almost 2 years. Waiting until closer to the time to cancel as we would lose money if we did now.

I am trying to be positive but struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's surreal but hard to know how I feel or if what I'm feeling now is real anyway because this will go on for a long time.

It's been a leveller. You see the rich and powerful in the same position as the rest of us and, to be fair, if you look at entertainers, they've been fairly inventive in terms of trying to get stuff out there to alleviate the boredom. As have most people. I'm not a social media lover and think some of the usage of it has been awful but there's been a lot of great, inventive stuff too.

I've seen a lot of kindness and people taking pleasure in simple things in a way I haven't seen since probably the 1980s in this country when we had f**k all. A walk or someone making an effort to entertain is now the highlight of the day. It's nice in a way.

I've also seen an ugly side to some people. Getting angry over stupid stuff. Yeah, it's a stressful situation but everyone is in the same situation. Acting like experts on this thing and berating the experts. Let them do their job and see how it turns out. Stephen Fry was right last night, anyone saying they know what we should be doing is a spoofer. Listen to the experts all of whom are educated guessing because this is new to us all.

We will come through this together. No doubt. It's just a matter of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

I haven't been able to adapt to this yet, I've been really anxious and stressed out for a week now. I have very few social contacts, as I live alone and work nights - and I'm not Irish, so my family and many friends live abroad. I fly home twice a year and was looking forward to that in April, but obviously that's not happening now. Following the news of two countries actively is overwhelming.

I can handle loneliness, but not being able to go out for a coffee (or whatever) makes things a lot worse. I also don't drive, so that limits my movements - so I'm confined to a much smaller area now it feels like. I haven't been working from home even though I could, as working nights from home sounds like cabin fever central. There is almost no-one else in the office, so it's probably safe, but I'd normally take a taxi to work which doesn't seem like a great idea any more. I'm disappointed I'm not coping so well, as I should be doing ok (have a job, have a home etc), but I guess my mental health wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm fine but I'm also a singleton who's work environment is outdoors either solo or with one other person so it's almost as if nothing has changed in some regards. I also have a list of "things to do" at home like decorating and growing food, creating a wildflower patch and so on.

My time has come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s so weird, there is a road 30 from seconds walk from my front door that link two reasonably populated residential areas... Saturday or any and every day... always cars, traffic. On the far side of the road is a park. On Saturday there are non stop voices and footsteps outside my window of kids, families, young footballers heading over there..football, tennis, for walks and to the playground ... there are no people now, a car drives past every three minutes only..soo weird. The silence was broken a few minutes ago by my phone ringing... there is apparently a fox stuck in my neighbors garden and Kathleen is panicking. Normally a jovial woman, she didn’t appreciate me asking her to make it spaghetti carbonara and giving it a glass of Chardonnay... maybe Chardonnay doesn’t go with Carbonara... dunno, I’m not a wine guy...

Polar101 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to adapt to this yet, I've been really anxious and stressed out for a week now. I have very few social contacts, as I live alone and work nights - and I'm not Irish, so my family and many friends live abroad. I fly home twice a year and was looking forward to that in April, but obviously that's not happening now. Following the news of two countries actively is overwhelming.

I can handle loneliness, but not being able to go out for a coffee (or whatever) makes things a lot worse. I also don't drive, so that limits my movements - so I'm confined to a much smaller area now it feels like. I haven't been working from home even though I could, as working nights from home sounds like cabin fever central. There is almost no-one else in the office, so it's probably safe, but I'd normally take a taxi to work which doesn't seem like a great idea any more. I'm disappointed I'm not coping so well, as I should be doing ok (have a job, have a home etc), but I guess my mental health wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

Don't just stay in though, get out for a walk or a coffee and just sit away from others and keep washing your hands.

Plenty of shops and coffee shops open but some are obviously setting up that you qué outside and only so many allowed in at a time.

Seems different places have different rules.

If you stay in like you are of course you will feel like you do.

Get onto family and friends through messaging or video calls or whatever.

Buses are running and if you follow the suggestions you should be fine.

I'm carrying all sorts but of course it's much quieter then I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

My other half is a psychologist, she is being forced to work on. Her office is relatively small...she is an asthmatic to boot and is really fûcked off at her boss / company... my advice is fuçk em... you see in tough times how employers value employees and now she is being fûcked over.

Would have been very simple for the company to set up Skype consultations for the foreseeable. She is panicking and considering handing in her notice this evening , she is very close to her family, especially her niece who she dotes on and dreads being responsible for passing on anything..

Strumms wrote: »
    My other half is a psychologist, she is being forced to work on. Her office is relatively small...she is an asthmatic to boot and is really fûcked off at her boss / company... my advice is fuçk em... you see in tough times how employers value employees and now she is being fûcked over.

Would have been very simple for the company to set up Skype consultations for the foreseeable. She is panicking and considering handing in her notice this evening , she is very close to her family, especially her niece who she dotes on and dreads being responsible for passing on anything..

If she keeps safe distance, cleans, sanitised, washes hands regularly etc she will be fine unless extremely unlucky.

In my work other drivers have similar such as asthma and are in 60s.
    They are just doing everything they can to stay as safe as possible.

The fact that Italy is basically like looking into a crystal ball for us would not only make you uneasy but it would petrify you.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

I understand her fears, and I don't intend to sound unsympathetic but any of us who have worked in frontline healthcare in some shape or form need to.acknowledge that unpleasant scenarios can come to the fore.. this acknowledgment is really needed at the time of studying the subject as opposed to right now. She is a psychologist, her clients will need her, they will not be used to Skype as opposed to direct one to one therapy. If our nurses and doctors bailed now, then we would be in a right state. Both she and her boss have a duty of care to vulnerable clients

I understand her fears, and I don't intend to sound unsympathetic but any of us who have worked in frontline healthcare in some shape or form need to.acknowledge that unpleasant scenarios can come to the fore.. this acknowledgment is really needed at the time of studying the subject as opposed to right now. She is a psychologist, her clients will need her, they will not be used to Skype as opposed to direct one to one therapy. If our nurses and doctors bailed now, then we would be in a right state. Both she and her boss have a duty of care to vulnerable clients

She works for a private company. Because a client(s) isn’t used to something and because they have issues, should they too get to disregard all social distancing etc ? Disregard the safety and wellbeing of staff and their loved ones ? NO ! Just needs to be explained clearly and concisely.

She works for a private company. Because a client(s) isn’t used to something and because they have issues, should they too get to disregard all social distancing etc ? Disregard the safety and wellbeing of staff and their loved ones ? NO ! Just needs to be explained clearly and concisely.

But how is the climic disregarding her safety or that of the clients? You didn't state this..
    Any clinic will send information to clients outlining requirements to not attend appointments where clients are displaying symptoms, this is standard. A psychologists remit is to support at times of crisis, unprecedented or otherwise. I see no evidence in your post that the clinic is putting her at risk.. she is no different position from someone in a shop etc. The only core difference is she is working with vulnerable people who will quite possibly require her suport even greater now.

If on the other hand, the issue relates to her boss and his handling of the situation, that's an entirely different variable.

But how is the climic disregarding her safety or that of the clients? You didn't state this..
    Any clinic will send information to clients outlining requirements to not attend appointments where clients are displaying symptoms, this is standard. A psychologists remit is to support at times of crisis, unprecedented or otherwise. I see no evidence in your post that the clinic is putting her at risk.. she is no different position from someone in a shop etc. The only core difference is she is working with vulnerable people who will quite possibly require her suport even greater now.

If on the other hand, the issue relates to her boss and his handling of the situation, that's an entirely different variable.

When she takes holiday, she isn’t even there and clients need to wait or obtain other arrangements.

The clinic is having her meet clients face to face in a relatively small office. Max distance is 1.75 meters from a client.

Clients by nature of why they are there can have behavioral / social / emotional issues that increase the possibility of restrictions not being respected or adhered to, initially they didn’t want her even wear a mask. :rolleyes:

The government want us...

reduce the number of people you meet every day

Work from home if possible, she believes as I do, it is possible

When she takes holiday, she isn’t even there and clients need to wait or obtain other arrangements.

The clinic is having her meet clients face to face in a relatively small office. Max distance is 1.75 meters from a client.

Clients by nature of why they are there can have behavioral / social / emotional issues that increase the possibility of restrictions not being respected or adhered to, initially they didn’t want her even wear a mask. :rolleyes:

The government want us...

reduce the number of people you meet every day

Work from home if possible, she believes as I do, it is possible

I hear you, your worried, she's worried. Official directives regarding masks not necessary unless you are symptomatic. She's measured her office space? Are you aware of the amount of psychologists and other frontline staff that are working in residential homes with people with disabilities, etc.. who have no concept of social distance. She is quite fortunate. These are unprecedented times, we all need to adjust especially those at the front line. But if she is that anxious, she will not be able to do her job competently and in that regard, yes she should stay at home as doing so otherwise is unprofessional. Thank heavens our nurses, doctors, all clinicians and all the other frontline staff are not being so particular right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Someone said earlier that 2020 started with a lot of promise.

Had a few family deaths the last couple of years and we were looking forward to the weddings of two nieces. They're not cancelled yet but ...

Was due to go over to UK for a week or so in April.

Had a trip into town for animal feed today that was weird.

And most of the time whenever I read or see a report about it my stomach churns.

Happy days.

Advertisement