Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So are you feeling about all this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I have been really upset about it. Im a fact based person so I took to educating myself which gave me a sense of control

We have had a tough couple of years as a family and especially me personally. I was working really hard at changing that but this has meant I am stuck. Ive been laid off, our new home purchase may fall through.

But what has struck me the most is that actually being in isolation isn't different to any other week for us. We never see anyone. Our family never calls, friends never call. Basically we see people if and when we make the move to do so. My mum said today that she is heartbroken not to be able to hug her grandkids and it took all my strength not to call her out. She hasnt seen them in months out of choice.
    So for me I am taking this as a wake up call.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I hear you, your worried, she's worried. Official directives regarding masks not necessary unless you are symptomatic. She's measured her office space? Are you aware of the amount of psychologists and other frontline staff that are working in residential homes with people with disabilities, etc.. who have no concept of social distance. She is quite fortunate. These are unprecedented times, we all need to adjust especially those at the front line. But if she is that anxious, she will not be able to do her job competently and in that regard, yes she should stay at home as doing so otherwise is unprofessional. Thank heavens our nurses, doctors, all clinicians and all the other frontline staff are not being so particular right now.

Do you have any qualifications that enable you to judge the behavior of said healthcare professionals as ‘unprofessional’ ? We have friends working both in public and private sectors of psychology who are in agreement considering her position as outlined. I’d prefer listen to my gut and the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

We have been prepping in work for this since Christmas at first it was just a bullet point in meetings but slowly became THE issue everything revolved around. But seeing it all come to a head is very strange and unsettling.

Trying to get the parents to take it seriously is a struggle too. I worry about them.

But like many, my big worry is that its not going to be until our medical system is on fire and everyone knows someone who has died until many of the public finally start taking it seriously. In reality what we do right now effects how hard our hospitals are hit in 2/3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Been getting briefed by the media and political people for weeks and good that we did, less of a panic, now it’s ‘here’ so to speak, reality kicks in, we’ve never known the streets outside so quiet..day or night, it’s a calming weirdness almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I started following this back in January as I'm a bit of a news junkie. Basically went through the stages of grief as it became apparent how big a deal it was. Very much in the acceptance phase now for quite a while, and while it's easy to empathise with those going through the shock & grief stage (which I think a lot of the country/world is in), I'm impatient for it be over. This is going to be a long haul, and we need to get past the panic and moralising and looking for "something" to be done, and figure out how we stay mentally and physically health while also trying to do what we can to mitigate the impact.

• Advertisement

I'd say I'm coping - to a degree. I live alone anyway and I am working (although I have to wait for Covid test so self isolating at the moment).
    But the normal loneliness will be accentuated a bit as time goes on.
    I had a trip to London booked to see my youngest daughter for Easter. That's off.
    I have flights booked to Vancouver to see my older daughter and my little grand daughter who is just 10 months and that's definitely not looking good now either. They are my only 2 kids and they both live abroad.

My mother is a nursing home and we cant visit her anymore - this is very sad as she is not well. I'm worried she might die without any of us seeing her again and difficulties with a funeral.

I try not to think too much about it. If I get sick there is literally nobody. I have brothers and sisters but they live in Donegal, Westmeath, Kildare, New York and UK. I am in Louth.

I hiked in the mountains today and that made me feel 100% better. I saw only 2 people over a period of 4 hours. Space, peace, fresh air, good health, hopefully these things will see us through. Very hard for so many people in so many different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Lisha wrote: »
    I think the funerals is the hardest thing. So sad. We Irish have a huge releationship with funerals. It’s a huge thing to
    Bury a family member with the usual rituals. Very sad.

Totally agree. Having buried a close relative this week where there were literally no persons present bar family, no expression of sympathy, not even possible to have a conversation, reminisce or even meet after the burial. Literally attended the burial and everyone went home. As tough a time it is when some one close to you passes we as Irish do give the deceased a proper send off and at the same time support those around us, but this couldn't be done this week, its hard but we must do what we are asked to do for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm very scared of my future tbh. My mother lives in her own and we are doing our best to look after her while keeping our distance. My wife has just been temporarily laid off and could be permanently laid off in weeks to come. I'm on the verge of being laid off. Mortgage, car loans etc all need to be paid. We have worked all our lives and haven't a clue how all this unemployment thing works! I comfort myself by saying there's always someone else worse off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Strumms wrote: »
    Do you have any qualifications that enable you to judge the behavior of said healthcare professionals as ‘unprofessional’ ? We have friends working both in public and private sectors of psychology who are in agreement considering her position as outlined. I’d prefer listen to my gut and the experts.

Strumms best listen to your gut and your girlfriend then.. sorry for touching a raw nerve. Be well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Concerned but optimistic, following from day 1 in Wuhan. Confident treatment options will be here within weeks be it the anti malarials or something else, however initial supply may be limited but that's ok. We will lose quite a few until then but the world will be back and a big wake upcall(s) apparent. Keep the faith.

• Advertisement

I'm in with the surreal brigade. Unusual, film-like experience. Makes me feel like I'm in an episode of Black Mirror or something.

Ultimately, finding it very frustrating though. I'm a sole trader, and was really just starting to get stuck into paying down the mortgage on the house. Had myself dedicated to getting the loan paid off in 2 years or less by putting every penny into it. Was doing really well, too. Except now I'm fairly confident I don't have a job anymore (yet to be confirmed), my future (and current) income has disappeared, and I'm realising just how much this is gonna throw things off - not just in 2020, but for a long time to come, for me.

Really feeling like, through no fault of my own, the rug has well and truly been pulled from under me.

... That said! - I am still optimistic that the 'good will come of it' approach may be the true one. I'm hoping that in 3 months we will have gotten over it, and people will be back working. I'm hoping that my job is resumed again. I'm hoping that people will be crying out for a night out or a meal, or a holiday, and those industries will get back on their feet in record time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Up until an hour ago I wasn't feeling too bad about this.
    There is a good chance I might lose my job (been there, done that, will get through that.)
    I'm currently quite sick with a bad sinus infection and an infected tooth on top of that...antibiotics will see me through that.
    I might even have the bloody virus...but if that really is the case it's mild enough. Currently waiting for a test appointment and that will tell me more.

But now I've learned that my mother (back in Germany) has just been admitted to hospital with what looks like a stroke and a heart attack.

And I can't go and visit because of the risks associated with this stupid virus.

Even if it wasn't for that...my father is scheduled for a very severe cancer related operation in four weeks time...the last thing he needs right now is a hug from someone as snotty as me, never mind someone potentially bringing along the corona virus in their luggage.

So yeah ...this stinks, big time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I quit my job a few weeks ago with the intention of starting my own business, but I'm not sure when or even if that will happen now. Trip to Vienna cancelled. Sporting events all cancelled. I had a lot planned but its all on hold for now.

peasant wrote: »
    There is a good chance I might lose my job (been there, done that, will get through that.)
    I'm currently quite sick with a bad sinus infection and an infected tooth on top of that...antibiotics will see me through that.
    I might even have the bloody virus...but if that really is the case it's mild enough. Currently waiting for a test appointment and that will tell me more.

But now I've learned that my mother (back in Germany) has just been admitted to hospital with what looks like a stroke and a heart attack.

And I can't go and visit because of the risks associated with this stupid virus.

Even if it wasn't for that...my father is scheduled for a very severe cancer related operation in four weeks time...the last thing he needs right now is a hug from someone as snotty as me, never mind someone potentially bringing along the corona virus in their luggage.

Ah peasant, you've been thrown so much.. any one of these would be overwhelming on their own but all together ..
    Your parents, like any parents main concern will be that you are doing ok and that's all you have some degree of control over right now. Hopefully you will be called soon for testing and that will put one worry to ease. I hope you have people supporting you right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ah peasant, you've been thrown so much.. any one of these would be overwhelming on their own but all together ..

Thanks

Honestly...the job, the bad cold and me potentially having the virus doesn't phase me all that much.

The fact that it is the kindest thing for both my parents for me to NOT go and see them..that's the one that is a bit more difficult to get one's head around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

In a similar situation with quite a few family members with illness, a reason why i have been closely following this pandemic from day 1. It will be ok, there may be pain but we must be strong and move forward when the time comes. Believe and try and stay positive!

Thanks

Honestly...the job, the bad cold and me potentially having the virus doesn't phase me all that much.

The fact that it is the kindest thing for both my parents for me to NOT go and see them..that's the one that is a bit more difficult to get one's head around.

Exactly...you not going to visit is you protecting them. They will understand that. I hope you get to talk to your Mum at some stage. Be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

my livelihood is in jeopardy

worried for my old parents

feels like its time to dig deep and man up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

OP here. Went for a walk with my 3 month old daughter today (she was in a pram :D).

I was just thinking about the change to all our lives. It's strange not being able to just get on as normal. I was thinking about how people who have lived through wars (our grandparents or great grandparents). Many people currently living through wars in other countries too. These wars go on for years. Our lives are been disrupted, and I mean severely disrupted, but it should only be for a couple of months.

I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I suppose. The best scientists around the world are working on a solution. I know that might not be here until next year though.

I was getting cabin fever before now. Working from home full time now. I think I'll need to go for a walk before I start in the mornings. On Thursday and Friday last week, I went straight into the home office to work. That's not good.

I do think I'll make more of an effort to see my mates after this. I've moved away and don't get back enough. It's only a taxi ride home after a few drinks.

Hope we start seeing the results of social isolation soon. I think we need to see it's working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

On a broad level, upset and angered and (perhaps naively) shocked at the "covidiots".

On a personal level, good in fairness. Very lucky. Have my job, folks are being great about keeping safe (mother is a nurse and has been sanitising like mad since February).

Feeling for others though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'm angry in a lot of ways tbh ..

Angry at the Chinese for allowing those wet markets again after they were banned as a result of the SARS outbreak. Then how they tried to cover it up and gagging the Doctor who first raised it.

Then, I'm annoyed with the responses of our Governments .. allowing in-coming flights to continue without forced quarantine, angry at their lack of preparedness. I was surprised there is not a stockpile of PPE available for the HSE .. SARS1, Ebola, Zika - surely it would have been prudent to at least stock pile.

And now, when the obvious course of action is a much stricter lockdown, they shy away for now in calling for it.

Other people are also infuriating me.... how many times have we been told to get off the couch, switch off the telly and get a bit of exercise. Now, the opposite applies and walking trails were never so busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I'm a mixture.

I'm aggrieved at the whole situation. The Italian issue was clear for anyone to see ages back, but yet no quarantine for people arriving from italy?

I'm aggrieved at my age and the choices I've made. I was really really badly hit by the last recession. I struggled along, got myself through another college course, changed industries, have just gotten a professional qualification and now I'm likely to be jobless within weeks and it feels so unfair. Just as my life was going okay.

And then I feel guilty because being jobless is certainly better than dead or permanently damaged from a virus.

And I'm so so scared for my parents. My mum is not well and my dad is at quite a risk of giving it to her.

And I miss my mum.

And in all of that I am angry. I am angry at whoever the fcuk thinks it's okay to stack pangolins on top of each other, or to turn a blind eye to these markets, or to cover up the virus after it starts. I'm angry at the idiot who didn't ban travel from Italy when it was really bloody obvious that they're the centre of a pandemic. I'm angry at that Muppet then sheiiiiting on about not all heroes wearing capes, when he did NOTHING to prevent this from coming here. I'm angry at the gobshires not distancing, and I'm angry at the government for not just locking this thing down for 8 weeks and erradicating it. I'm really angry at the kids spitting on trolley handles and rubbing their hands on old people, and at the authorities who aren't making an example of them and prosecuting them for attempted murder.

And I'm sad but relieved that my elderly relatives are dead. This would have terrified them and I'm so glad they don't have to witness that. Which makes me more sad, because I miss them so much and I'd give anything just to sit and have a cup of tea with them just one more time and it feels so awful so say I'm glad they're not here because I miss them so so much.

So I guess I'm not really that okay. I just try to keep reminding myself that this too will pass, and keep my fingers crossed that my loved ones are still here at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well I knew it was bad when I was shussed on by an auld one on a walk and 5 metres away

I was like wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I'm a mixture.

I'm aggrieved at the whole situation. The Italian issue was clear for anyone to see ages back, but yet no quarantine for people arriving from italy?

I'm aggrieved at my age and the choices I've made. I was really really badly hit by the last recession. I struggled along, got myself through another college course, changed industries, have just gotten a professional qualification and now I'm likely to be jobless within weeks and it feels so unfair. Just as my life was going okay.

And then I feel guilty because being jobless is certainly better than dead or permanently damaged from a virus.

And I'm so so scared for my parents. My mum is not well and my dad is at quite a risk of giving it to her.

And I miss my mum.

And in all of that I am angry. I am angry at whoever the fcuk thinks it's okay to stack pangolins on top of each other, or to turn a blind eye to these markets, or to cover up the virus after it starts. I'm angry at the idiot who didn't ban travel from Italy when it was really bloody obvious that they're the centre of a pandemic. I'm angry at that Muppet then sheiiiiting on about not all heroes wearing capes, when he did NOTHING to prevent this from coming here. I'm angry at the gobshires not distancing, and I'm angry at the government for not just locking this thing down for 8 weeks and erradicating it. I'm really angry at the kids spitting on trolley handles and rubbing their hands on old people, and at the authorities who aren't making an example of them and prosecuting them for attempted murder.

And I'm sad but relieved that my elderly relatives are dead. This would have terrified them and I'm so glad they don't have to witness that. Which makes me more sad, because I miss them so much and I'd give anything just to sit and have a cup of tea with them just one more time and it feels so awful so say I'm glad they're not here because I miss them so so much.

So I guess I'm not really that okay. I just try to keep reminding myself that this too will pass, and keep my fingers crossed that my loved ones are still here at the end of it.
    Herd immunity at its best, when the dog on the street is saying to close all borders, cancel all flights, cancel ferrys, go into lockdown mode its clear that our government is following a herd immunity type approach. Virus infected people still flying into the country, UK/French probably fleeing into holiday camps close to the ferry ports, kids left to roam as vector carriers & pubs closing late when they should of been closed well in advance. Leo's speech was clearly aimed at putting himself on a pedestal, a once in a lifetime speech, may not happen again for 200 years, a scripted bull**** speech, caring for our loved ones my arse, keep going about the nice herd immunity approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'm frankly annoyed at the whining about the government. Like a lockdown ages back would have been feasible.

I am angry at those loons who are using it to push a political agenda about how this is akin to nazism and other conspiratorial drivel. Not a toss given about other people.

Furious to read that those markets in China were banned and then started up again. Wtf?!

But whatever disagreements, my heart goes out to people worried about loved ones, their livelihoods, and those breaking their backs in the health service plus their families.

I actually think the Government has been proactive enough if you compare us to the UK where both my young daughter and sister live. We are luckier than them in that sense. I have never had much time for Leo and while I thought his speech was very good and much needed it was scripted and written by someone else. Leo looks the part but thats about it.

I was really disappointed by Simon Harris on the news last night as he almost laughed when asked about the crowds out...... he said something like if people think thats social distancing they need to think again and get better at it (or something along those lines), all said with a smile on his face. Its NOT funny!! For every person who is practicing social distance there are 10 who are not.

Mothers Day yesterday and I saw literally nobody all day. I spent the day alone gardening and reading. I am a mad active person and would usually be out walking but from my garden I could hear cars flying past all day long to the local beach!
    It was tough being alone (both my kids live abroad and my mother in isolation in nursing home) but its called making an effort - something everyone should be doing.

We will be in this situation for a long time, if not worse than this. There is no point in feeling angry. This is what it is, nobody is escaping it, its in every country in the world, even growing rapidly in NZ one of the cleanest countries in the world.

This is out of our control , even with a lockdown now this will run for quite a while. Anger will only make us feel worse and is a harder emotion to deal with in social isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m sick. Sore throat started Saturday, v occasional dry cough, temp slightly high at 37.7. V hoarse.
    Yesterday v wreaked. Temp under 37.5.
    But darts of pain in throat.
    This morning temp 38.6, very sore throat, feel zapped. Dry cough. Have taken the only solpadeine in house and 2 paracetamol. Coughed a lot during night.

Had to ring work and say I couldn’t come in. Work don’t want to see me for 2weeks or negative test. On list since Saturday.

We did practise social distancing. Went no where only work or supermarket. Strictly kept kids home since schools closed. Strictly stayed at home since Friday as I didnt need to go anywhere and was slightly suspicious as throat was dry .

My son woke up with very slight sore throat. Am trying to not worry. We live in country side so I can’t see where I picked it up.

I’d prefer if they gave nearest town to each positive, cork county is huge after all. Some people reckon positives are only in urban areas but I doubt that.

We are healthy I know we will be fine in long run but it’s all a sorry mess God love the medical staff, they’ll have serious ptsd after the trauma of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Other than not locking down the country sooner, I admire our government's response to this.
    I'm furious at our own citizens who continue to ignore social distancing practices, like the huge bunch of young lads I witnessed playing soccer on a pitch near my house yesterday.

I'm still furious, and I basically went berserk at them, like a madwoman. They know what they should do, and they know that what they are doing is putting others at risk. That's what kills me; they know. They will cause resources to be put into the Gardaí or Army to keep people off the streets. They will cause the pandemic to continue longer than it otherwise might.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

They've already made a film about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Even though I find Boris Johnson an obnoxious, Tory, Eton, bully-boy pr1ck, I'm quite sad and concerned that he's in ICU. I hope he's OK.

Advertisement