Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So are you feeling about all this?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I find it interesting. I don't care about people I don't know dying. I'd be upset about children but children are far less vulnerable to it. I find the restrictions annoying but necessary. My favourite place to go with my kid was closed which was annoying. But it was turned into a field hospital so I can't complain about that.

I'm aware that I was being mocked for preparing when people were scoffing at the idea of this happening. Now the same people won't stop going on about it and are scared.

Personally I was scared for a while before it got here - for my son rather than myself or anything else. Then I saw that children rarely are badly affected and I stopped being afraid.

Purgative wrote: »
    Even though I find Boris Johnson an obnoxious, Tory, Eton, bully-boy pr1ck, I'm quite sad and concerned that he's in ICU. I hope he's OK.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Why?

Because it knocks my normal off its axis. Um, Oh yeah, and I'm not a sociopath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Then I saw that children rarely are badly affected and I stopped being afraid.
    This for me is the biggest relief in all of this. It's not killing young people. And before examples are trotted out of 18 year olds dying from it, they're incredibly rare and every one of them had underlying conditions, mostly serious ones. It;s very sad on a personal level, but a huge bloody relief on a societal one. It's very different to the 1918 flu pandemic. It hit the young adult population hard. In some small communities when it was done and dusted they were left with mostly children and old people. If Covid was killing twenty five year olds what tragedy there is now would be so so much worse and the world would be in a lot more trouble. Imagine if the death toll was reversed in demographics and the middle aged and older were unlikely to get sick and die, but we were seeing ICU's and morgues full of 10 to 30 year olds. That would be a horror. And I say that as a 52 year old. A choice between me and a 20 year old is not a choice really.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It has me struggling big time now.

• Advertisement

I'm not a sociopath either but I don't care if he dies.

Loads of people die horribly all the time. Nobody has capacity to care about all of them. So I find it strange that people choose to care about people they dislike.

But I can understand why someone might find it unsettling that someone as central and insulated from harm as Johnson is in danger. It's because it would make them feel less secure themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But I can understand why someone might find it unsettling that someone as central and insulated from harm as Johnson is in danger.
    In normal circumstances he would be much more insulated and protected than most alrught B, but as jobs go, being a politician in a pandemic is not the healthiest, especially with an illness with an asymptomatic but infectious stage. He was meeting loads of people up close and personal and pressing the flesh with all and sundry only a few weeks ago.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Have actually chatted to some of our neighbours as they walk past the house

Usually they just fly past in the car

Loads of people die horribly all the time. Nobody has capacity to care about all of them. So I find it strange that people choose to care about people they dislike.

But I can understand why someone might find it unsettling that someone as central and insulated from harm as Johnson is in danger. It's because it would make them feel less secure themselves.

Maybe "sociopath" was a poor choice of words I meant something around human empathy.

That aside this is a bad time for any country to be without a leader particularly a country closest to us, and particularly a leader as maverick non-consulting, Cummins puppet as Johnson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Your not expected to care about everyone, but a moment of compassion for ill people at this time would be considered a natural reaction, whether they be public elected officials, tv personalities, or just Mary next door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Even though I find Boris Johnson an obnoxious, Tory, Eton, bully-boy pr1ck, I'm quite sad and concerned that he's in ICU. I hope he's OK.

That's interesting. When did you meet Boris Johnson?

You seem remarkably lacking in empathy. The first think I thought of last night when I heard Boris was in ICU was his pregnant sick girlfriend and his 5 kids, none of whom will be able to visit him or be with him regardless of whats happens over the next few days.

I dont dislike Boris, I think he is a big bumbling Eton boy that still acts like an idiot at times and in some ways that is appealing. He is not a bad person. He has done the OPPOSITE of insulating himself from harm and danger lately. In fact he should have put himself first 10 days ago! He had been seen out and about, shaking hands, visiting hospitals (inadvisedly) , but trying to keep up a public face in all of this.

If anything happens him the picture in my head will be of him clapping last Thursday night at his front door, looking very unwell, but doing this for morale and solidarity with NHS workers and the public.

I sincerely hope he recovers. Unlike you OP I frequently care about many people I don't know and have never met when I hear they are in trouble or their life is in danger.

That's interesting. When did you meet Boris Johnson?

I have a perception and an opinion of you yosser. To my knowledge I haven't met you or Johnson. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I have a perception and an opinion of you yosser. To my knowledge I haven't met you or Johnson. :cool:

Thanks for clearing that up.

You seem remarkably lacking in empathy. The first think I thought of last night when I heard Boris was in ICU was his pregnant sick girlfriend and his 5 kids, none of whom will be able to visit him or be with him regardless of whats happens over the next few days.

I dont dislike Boris, I think he is a big bumbling Eton boy that still acts like an idiot at times and in some ways that is appealing. He is not a bad person. He has done the OPPOSITE of insulating himself from harm and danger lately. In fact he should have put himself first 10 days ago! He had been seen out and about, shaking hands, visiting hospitals (inadvisedly) , but trying to keep up a public face in all of this.

If anything happens him the picture in my head will be of him clapping last Thursday night at his front door, looking very unwell, but doing this for morale and solidarity with NHS workers and the public.

I sincerely hope he recovers. Unlike you OP I frequently care about many people I don't know and have never met when I hear they are in trouble or their life is in danger.
    Nah this is just posing. You bash me for lacking empathy because I'm not posing. Which displays - a lack of empathy.

You were all so concerned when it was Chinese people experiencing this, along with horrific restrictions such as being locked into their apartments for over 40 days straight :rolleyes: The reason you are concerned now is that it makes you personally feel less safe. Which you pretend is empathy but is just fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

Right now, I am fed up of being out of routine.

My grandmother is dying and I cant be near her.

I am angry at people still thinking this is just a flu and going about life as if they are above the restrictions.

Its crap right now but on a positive note my house has never been cleaner or more sorted/ tidied up.

Advertisement