Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

MadYaker wrote: »
    Government will have to decide what’s better. Force Ryanair to pay all refunds and then bail them out using our (likely increased) taxes. Or else let them continue offering vouchers and keep the money they owe to people and hopefully they won’t require a bailout.

It's a difficult one. €200 isn't a major issue once you get it somehow but if its a few grand family holiday that you'll struggle to spend soon on a flight and could do with the cash in your own account, then it is an issue. I know if I had booked a family flight for about 2k, I'd be wanting my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Assuming vouchers become an EU wide standard, then at the very least these vouchers need to have a minimum of 5 years validity and not the 1 year from date of expected travel that Ryanair appear to be currently offering.

Defo needs to be 5 year and free name chmge.

Mandatory vouchers are in direct conflict with EU261 negating the 7 day cash refund requirement.

7 countries so far have brought in local laws to try to work around the regulation .

But EU261 can only be changed by the council and the EU parlimnent so not going to be anytime soon.

Government will have to decide what’s better. Force Ryanair to pay all refunds and then bail them out using our (likely increased) taxes. Or else let them continue offering vouchers and keep the money they owe to people and hopefully they won’t require a bailout.

What are you on about a Ryanair bailout?

Ryanair are of most cash liquid airlines on the planet.

You mightn't like Michael O'Leary but he knows how to make money!

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/reports/wizz-air--ryanair-lead-europe-on-liquidity-for-covid-19-517608

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

paddy19 wrote: »
    Waiting for response from airline 8 days gone 7 days to go!

Love the 15 calendar days limit!

best of luck, im waiting on them to accept my claim ,i assume i then pay the €25 fee and they start the process is this the way it goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Defo needs to be 5 year and free name chmge.

Mandatory vouchers are in direct conflict with EU261 negating the 7 day cash refund requirement.

7 countries so far have brought in local laws to try to work around the regulation .

But EU261 can only be changed by the council and the EU parlimnent so not going to be anytime soon.

Thought you couldnt backdate laws either?
    As in when the thing happend the law said you were entitled to a refund. Ryanair broke that law then and there not matter if it is changed for the future.

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    best of luck, im waiting on them to accept my claim ,i assume i then pay the €25 fee and they start the process is this the way it goes?

SCC back in 24 hours for me...

Yeah that's it keep us updated.

They have a nice day tracker under Events so you can see if and when the airline responds.....

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Thought you couldn't backdate laws either?
    As in when the thing happend the law said you were entitled to a refund. Ryanair broke that law then and there not matter if it is changed for the future.

We live in strange times.

The Government have emergency legislation which probably allows them to do virtually anything.

If they can stop you driving more than 2km from your home a wee change in the debt laws should be easy peasie.

I wouldn't see any legal problem in the Greeks approach.
    The debt wouldn't be wiped out it would be delayed.

Lawyers love delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Gael23 wrote:
    I would have no problem with a voucher if it was valid for 5 years

I would have a problem as there is no guarantee that the company would still be there to honour the voucher. It's not unheard of for companies to go into administration thereby rendering the voucher worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I would have a problem as there is no guarantee that the company would still be there to honour the voucher. It's not unheard of for companies to go into administration thereby rendering the voucher worthless.

Would MOL be cunning enough to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Under their own terms and conditions you can't buy a voucher for someone under sixteen years of age, look for a refund of the money you gave them for the family holiday with a load of toddlers and they force you to take a voucher...

• Advertisement

SCC back in 24 hours for me...

Yeah that's it keep us updated.

They have a nice day tracker under Events so you can see if and when the airline responds.....

i sent an email to sccadmin@courts.ie as i haven't heard anything back since Monday my case was reassigned, i cant see that events tab on the website?

i sent an email to sccadmin@courts.ie as i haven't heard anything back since Monday my case was reassigned, i cant see that events tab on the website?

Just login to your account.
    It's about mid page.
    There are 5 tabs Clamant Respondent Case Details Events Court Docuemnts.

Just click on Events and it will show you the events and the days clocking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If your over 70 and cocooning are you expected to turn up in Swords?

If you asked for a refund and you receive the voucher , don’t want it, don’t use it, and it expires, Will Ryanair then issue a refund? I thought Eoghan Corry said this on Vm1 this morning in relation to Aer Lingus vouchers ( 5 years?)

joeysoap wrote: »
    If your over 70 and cocooning are you expected to turn up in Swords?

If you asked for a refund and you receive the voucher , don’t want it, don’t use it, and it expires, Will Ryanair then issue a refund? I thought Eoghan Corry said this on Vm1 this morning in relation to Aer Lingus vouchers ( 5 years?)

You don't have to go to court.

You don't need a lawyer.

You just create an account, file in your details.
    They check if it's valid.
    You pay non refundable €25.
    The airline either pays up, or if it does not come back within 15 Calendar you win.

I posted the 5 step guide here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

They also.require a phone number. I gave 03301007838 fwiw.

The aviation regulator has initiated my case with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Ryanair has 3.5 billion in cash, of which 2.1 is cash on hand and they pay no dividends.
    They just don't want to spend cash so they can buy other bankrupt airliners and O'Leary can swim in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

And if they want to OFFER me a voucher, it needs to be valid for at least 2 years and carry a 10% premium for me to even consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Icepick wrote: »
    And if they want to OFFER me a voucher, it needs to be valid for at least 2 years and carry a 10% premium for me to even consider it.

5 years and a 10% premium 2 years is 3 years short of what is legally fair now on gift vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

JimmyVik wrote: »
    5 years and a 10% premium 2 years is 3 years short of what is legally fair now on gift vouchers.

Ryanair pointing out that as they are not gift vouchers they are not legally required to have 5 years validity.

• Advertisement

i have to resubmit my claim as i didnt give booking reference numbers, details of travel.,etc but ive only got 3 booking references out of 6 i cant even find the other booking references in my email, was onto the small claims court they said just to forward whatever info you have on, but they are closed right now so this might even take longer than anticipated.

TheDriver wrote: »
    The aviation regulator has initiated my case with Ryanair.

please give details of how you applied to them>

please give details of how you applied to them>
    It's on their website, travellers rights section and there's a link to a form. I attached a PDF of the emails promising refund and then no refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

We need government to issue a formal warning and start revoking licences if refunds are not promptly processed.

I got case not initiated back. Not surprised as i omitted as booking number :o but in my defense I was interrupted twice. Do I just fill it in again this time giving all the details or wait. The case is shaded grey, so I can’t add details. Thanks.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Ryanair have stated the following when seeking a cash refund.
    You can request a cash refund however bear in mind we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the COVID-19 emergency has passed.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher
    Naturally you have to scroll down the page for quite some time to see this.

TheDriver wrote: »
    It's on their website, travellers rights section and there's a link to a form. I attached a PDF of the emails promising refund and then no refund.

Have you made a complaint to the carrier in regard of the cancellation?
    Did you wait the 4/6 week period to receive a response?
    https://www.iaa.ie/news/2020/03/20/car-guidance-note-on-airline-flight-cancellations

This is simply more bureaucratic obfuscation on the part of the Irish Aviation Authority.
    As per usual the Irish consumer is been hung out to dry, yet again!

We need government to issue a formal warning and start revoking licences if refunds are not promptly processed.

Nobody is regulating the airlines:
    This reminds me of the banks when the regulator was asleep at the wheel.

Ryanair are breaking the 7 day cash refund requirement of EU 261 Section 8.

Not only are they breaking the law but they saying that they have no intention of making any attempt to comply with the law until Covid is over.

"You can request a cash refund however bear in mind we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the COVID-19 emergency has passed."

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

The pathetic statement from the Commission for Aviation Regulation shows why Michael O'Leary knows that he can break the law with impunity.

The regulator has swallowed the rubbish from Ryanair that they can't process refund requests because they don't have enough disks to meet Covid safe distancing requirements.
    "the high volume of calls that airlines are dealing with and the absolute need to safeguard the welfare of staff. "
    https://www.aviationreg.ie/news/regulation-ec-2612004-guidance-note-on-flight-cancellations-refunds-and-vouchers.962.html

The obvious question why are calls required?
    Passengers complete the refund request form online.
    No passenger wants to talk to Ryanair who will tell them they must complete the form online.

Ryanair could automatically process every refund request it has in 72 hours.
    There is no need for human intervention.
    Airlines run some of the most complex computer systems in the world.

They have the computing power, they have 300 programmers in Ryanair Labs.

What is missing is the motivation that should come from the regulator.

Probably not possible but if the regulator could impose a €100 penalty per day
    for every refund not paid, the airlines would clear the backlog in jig time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have a cancelled flight and have now received the refund voucher email. I can't believe, no wait, I can believe this by Ryanair - one of the reasons I hate flying with them.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread on best possible avenues for getting the proper refund. I might enquire to the credit card company in this chargeback route.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Love it when people say they hate flying Ryanair but they still book with them.

Check out the dozens of threads on how to get a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

I just accepted the voucher from the flutes this evening as they piss you off trying to get a refund. Ill be flying with the hoors again so I reckon the voucher is better an nothing. I hope OLeary gets a septic boil in his hole

Advertisement