Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair and their cancellations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Nail on the head, society today is ME, ME, ME.

An airline like Ryanair is dealing with unprecedented levels of disruption yet these individuals clearly with a lot of time on their hands, demand refunds in 7 days - That EU reg is based on a small level of disruption. Not the rolling closure of services since early March. The industry regulators have stated the same.

If you are seeking a refund, you will get it, not within 7 days, so be patient.

I requested my refund on the 25th March, first time vouchers were mentioned was the 24th of April when they said, "here is a voucher"

In the email, they mentioned if you want a cash refund, contact them. so I tried today. I opened chat at 9:30, its 20:40 now and still nothing, that's 11 hours. They close at 21:00, so im not hopeful.

I'm following their instructions to get my money back, how am I being impatient?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

An airline like Ryanair is dealing with unprecedented levels of disruption yet these individuals clearly with a lot of time on their hands, demand refunds in 7 days - That EU reg is based on a small level of disruption. Not the rolling closure of services since early March. The industry regulators have stated the same.

I can't speak for others – but in my case I'm not even remotely irritated about the fact that a refund needed more than seven days.

I'm irritated about the fact that I asked for a refund on March 20th and got a confirmation of the application. A month later Ryanair sent me a voucher with a twelve month expiry that stated that if I really wanted a refund I would need to go to a page and follow instructions that were not present on the page. Any sympathy I might have had for them evaporated when they pulled that stunt.

I would have been happy if they'd just sent me an email advising that they were backlogged and that my refund was in the queue and would be processed in due course.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Noxegon wrote: »
    I can't speak for others – but in my case I'm not even remotely irritated about the fact that a refund needed more than seven days.

I'm irritated about the fact that I asked for a refund on March 20th and got a confirmation of the application. A month later Ryanair sent me a voucher with a twelve month expiry that stated that if I really wanted a refund I would need to go to a page and follow instructions that were not present on the page. Any sympathy I might have had for them evaporated when they pulled that stunt.

I would have been happy if they'd just sent me an email advising that they were backlogged and that my refund was in the queue and would be processed in due course.

Same here! How do you actually get the refund?? When i “click here” there’s nothing there to do with a refund!

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Same here! How do you actually get the refund?? When i “click here” there’s nothing there to do with a refund!

https://eu261compensationclaims.ryanair.com/

They don't actually use the word refund!

But if you see this, your at the right place.

EU261 Disruption Compensation and Expense Claim Form

Disrupted flight details

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

People arguing for Ryanair are they same who say say it's passengers fault when they get charged for over sized bag's ect, oh they should know bla bla bla, "did they even fly before". Yeah we sometimes have a bag 1kg over and we take a chance, when caught Ryanair wont deviate from the rules, pay up or leave your bag .

Now the shoe is on the other foot and suddenly its the passengers fault again.

Most people already had a choice take a voucher or a refund. Most people had chosen a refund.

Ryanair disregarded this and told everyone take a voucher.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Yet this Ryanair thread has 24 pages (mostly hysterical) so far.

I though most of the threads were from non hysterical people who are frustrated by Ryanair's illegal carry on.

There is no Aer Lingus one

Didn't do much searching did we?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062901

and only a small BA.

BA has virtually no presence in Ireland.

We are all entitled to refunds but this confirms my belief that those who pay the lowest fares make the biggest fuss when things go wrong.

This belief is based on what data?
    I have found exactly the opposite, the folks who pay the most, understandably get upset when things are not up to snuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Got my email with the voucher as refund for a cancelled flight. Not going to bother with the extended cash refund process. When restrictions on travel are lifted I'll use the voucher no bother

The old "these people with time on their hands". I find posters who play the ball not man seems to have more persuasive arguments.
    It is particularly inane with literally thousands of people off work.

"demand refunds in 7 days -"

The demand isn't within 7 days, the law states that refunds are to be processed within 7 days.

"That EU reg is based on a small level of disruption."
    What did this come from?

Airlines take hundreds of thousands of booking every day.
    The same resources are now idle. Computers can refund bookings as fast as they take them.
    If the airlines were fined €100 a day per refund would they have any problem refunding passengers within 7 days?

"The industry regulators have stated the same".

The Commission for Caviation Regulation is a joke.

They swallowed Ryanair's claim that they cannot process refunds because staff at home cannot authorise financial transactions.

They still accept the statement on the Ryanair site that refunds will not be processed until after Covid has passed.

"If you are seeking a refund, you will get it, not within 7 days, so be patient"

I'm patient, I just not willing to wait until Michael O'Leary decides that Covid has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

paddy19 wrote: »
    The old "these people with time on their hands". I find posters who play the ball not man seems to have more persuasive arguments.
    It is particularly inane with literally thousands of people off work.

"demand refunds in 7 days -"

The demand isn't within 7 days, the law states that refunds are to be processed within 7 days.

"That EU reg is based on a small level of disruption."
    What did this come from?

Airlines take hundreds of thousands of booking every day.
    The same resources are now idle. Computers can refund bookings as fast as they take them.
    If the airlines were fined €100 a day per refund would they have any problem refunding passengers within 7 days?

"The industry regulators have stated the same".

The Commission for Caviation Regulation is a joke.

They swallowed Ryanair's claim that they cannot process refunds because staff at home cannot authorise financial transactions.

They still accept the statement on the Ryanair site that refunds will not be processed until after Covid has passed.

"If you are seeking a refund, you will get it, not within 7 days, so be patient"

I'm patient, I just not willing to wait until Michael O'Leary decides that Covid has passed.

Take your own advise SCC???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Posting in BOLD is reserved for moderation notes and comments, and there has been an increased use by members of BOLD to try and emphasise a point, and it's become tedious with constant repetition.

Continued use of BOLD will lead to moderation action, in this and other threads

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Every airline is doing their utmost to avoid paying refunds and offer vouchers instead including Aer Lingus and BA.

Yet this Ryanair thread has 24 pages (mostly hysterical) so far. There is no Aer Lingus one and only a small BA.

We are all entitled to refunds but this confirms my belief that those who pay the lowest fares make the biggest fuss when things go wrong.

I have two Ryanair trips cancelled but haven't made a decision yet. I'm favouring vouchers at the moment. I certainly will book other flights with them even if the refunds never come through - not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. They've saved me a small fortune over the years.
    I'm owed €986.Not just a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,409 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Are flights to Spain from Ireland to Spain currently being cancelled by Ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I’m owed 2500 for a party of ten. Got email yesterday for another flight and when I go to fill in the form I get “error” everything is correct no spaces at the end or anything. I’m expecting a fight on my hands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thankfully I don't have an upcoming Ryanair flight so I'm not affected by this but if I had a flight cancelled I would be pretty pissed off if they tried to give me a voucher instead of a refund.
    I don't use Ryanair often enough to want them to hold my money on my behalf, and even if I did I would certainly never buy a Ryanair voucher.
    A voucher limits your options if you do decide you want to fly somewhere after this crisis and Ryanair know this, you're not going to buy a ticket with Aer Lingus or another carrier to fly somewhere while you're holding a Ryanair voucher but if you have the cash you might shop around.
    I have an upcoming flight with Aer Lingus and while I don't mind waiting for the refund I don't want a voucher for the same reasons.
    I also think it's a bit of a stretch that these airlines can't process the refunds at the same rate they process the sales, this is a fully computerised system, are people supposed to believe there are hundreds of staff who normally work day and night to process ticket sales who can't now travel to work to process ticket refunds...?

There's no decision making process involved here, they know what flights are cancelled, they know who bought tickets and how much they paid for them, it should be a straightforward reverse process. Those computers aren't exactly snowed under processing sales at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Limpy wrote: »
    People arguing for Ryanair are they same who say say it's passengers fault when they get charged for over sized bag's ect, oh they should know bla bla bla, "did they even fly before". Yeah we sometimes have a bag 1kg over and we take a chance, when caught Ryanair wont deviate from the rules, pay up or leave your bag .

Now the shoe is on the other foot and suddenly its the passengers fault again.

Most people already had a choice take a voucher or a refund. Most people had chosen a refund.

Ryanair disregarded this and told everyone take a voucher.

Personally I chose the refund to get it all done and out of the way before Ryanairs inevitable dirty tricks appeared.
    Alas I was too late.
    Now they owe me €1500 for 3 separate flights that they cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

just got the email today offering me a voucher after a week ago i got offered cash refund which i accepted, well i have all day so i will wait in line on the customer support website to get the cash.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Personally I chose the refund to get it all done and out of the way before Ryanairs inevitable dirty tricks appeared.
    Alas I was too late.
    Now they owe me €1500 for 3 separate flights that they cancelled.

Do you think you will not get refund?
    Though i am not siding with Ryanair, there was an article in the indo yesterday saying people who want refunds be refunded in 3 months.
    If they honor this i think it be ok.
    I am guessing they waiting for lockdown to end so as cashflow will start coming in as they have to manage their business a a difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,409 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    just got the email today offering me a voucher after a week ago i got offered cash refund which i accepted, well i have all day so i will wait in line on the customer support website to get the cash.

That's the approach they seem to be taking.

adam88 wrote: »
    I’m owed 2500 for a party of ten. Got email yesterday for another flight and when I go to fill in the form I get “error” everything is correct no spaces at the end or anything. I’m expecting a fight on my hands

I think you be ok as 250x10 = €2,500, that,s a lot for ryanair flights.
    Just check there no punctuation marks in any of the names as i got
    caught out with this several times.

Will your hen party be before or after the wedding?

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen how Ryanair tickets booked through agents are being dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    let me know how that goes. I was on the chat yday from 8 am till 9 pm and no word from the agent.

there is no queue number and no time indicated so no clue if anyone would ever respond.

also they may just be ignoring all chats that you start under EU261 claim, so ...

why would he not do that. Besides if they give it to one airline they have to give it to all.

Refund Update

The processing time for cash refunds is taking far longer than normal as we are processing over 1,000 times the normal volume of cancellations. We also have 75% fewer staff available to process refunds due to social distancing restrictions.

Ryanair is offering vouchers and free moves as these are automated and give customers an immediate alternative. Unfortunately, cash refunds cannot be automated. Customers who choose a voucher, but don't redeem it within 12 months may still apply for and obtain a refund after this 12 month period.

Customers who choose not to accept a free move or voucher will receive their refund in due course, once this crisis has passed. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be working hard to process refund requests as quickly as we can.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

there is a Fb post on their page

We are experiencing an unprecedented volume of messages here on social media due to Covid-19, so we ask you to bear with us at this busy time.
    If you have received a voucher from us via email, please rest assured that you can use the voucher to book over the next 12 months and travel beyond that date. In the event you don’t use the voucher at all, you will receive a full cash refund after the expiry date, this also applies to a part cash refund for the unused part of the voucher.
    Please use our DM tool here on Facebook to register on the cash refund queue if you don’t wish to use the voucher and we will be in contact with you directly via email. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be working hard to process refund requests as quickly as we can.

and if you DM them you follow yes/no type of thing and then they add you to the refund queue.

Kind of pointless as we already did that 10 days ago, but I just did that as well.

the good thing is if you take voucher and don't use them in 12 months time ou can get a cash refund for the remaining cash, or you can get them refunded in full at any time.
    At least that is what they are claiming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

With respect, you're way off the mark. There is no technical reason whatsoever that Ryanair cannot process the refunds in a timely fashion - the "our agents are at home and security something something" excuse is 'dog ate my homework' level at best. How is it that they can manage to arrange vouchers etc? Surely this has to involve MORE work than just issuing a refund? I understand Ryanair's reasons for not complying with their legal obligations but to portray it as customers being selfish is quite frankly bull. Ryanair have billions in cash - they could refund everyone in the morning and not be out of pocket. Seems to me they want to keep their cash pile in order to buy a struggling airline or two down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Do you think you will not get refund?
    Though i am not siding with Ryanair, there was an article in the indo yesterday saying people who want refunds be refunded in 3 months.
    If they honor this i think it be ok.
    I am guessing they waiting for lockdown to end so as cashflow will start coming in as they have to manage their business a a difficult time.

To be honest with you I dont trust Ryanair as far as I can throw them.
    First they told me 7 days. Then they told me two weeks, Then they told me 21 days. I was happy with that. Then I got vouchers I didnt ask for and made to contact their stupid chat support and go through more hoops. They could have just said do nothing and you will be refunded in three months or you can have a voucher if you request one, without the vouchers or the hoops.

I would be happy with 3 months too, if I believed them, but I dont. Im just wondering what curve ball is next.

To be honest with you I dont trust Ryanair as far as I can throw them.
    First they told me 7 days. Then they told me two weeks, Then they told me 21 days. I was happy with that. Then I got vouchers I didnt ask for and made to contact their stupid chat support and go through more hoops. They could have just said do nothing and you will be refunded in three months or you can have a voucher if you request one, without the vouchers or the hoops.

I would be happy with 3 months too, if I believed them, but I dont. Im just wondering what curve ball is next.

I agree but a large percentage would have opted for that and that was their game-plan fro the beginning.
    Love or hate Michael O'Leary he is probably the cleverist operators i have seen.
    It just be a matter of days until you see post people complaining that they forced to take voucher and now want refund.
    There are one or two here and i am surprised they not on it already...

Can they give that to us in writing?

here
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher?fbclid=IwAR09QLzFJLa-utJ-axSig8DI2qwAzac8Ir3iRS1PPg_fJBtGwP9G1H_sHAo

among other stuff says
    Customers who choose a voucher, but don't redeem it within 12 months may still apply for and obtain a refund after this 12 month period.

as for the partial refund of unused voucher it is only in their Facebook post, as listed above

In the event you don’t use the voucher at all, you will receive a full cash refund after the expiry date, this also applies to a part cash refund for the unused part of the voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

From that document...

Q. Can I give my voucher to my family member or a friend?

A. You can pay for multiple travel companions as our voucher offers great travel flexibility
    And then..
    Passenger name changes are not permitted if a booking has been paid for using a Travel Voucher.

Talk about confusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bebop wrote: »
    From that document...

Q. Can I give my voucher to my family member or a friend?

A. You can pay for multiple travel companions as our voucher offers great travel flexibility
    And then..
    Passenger name changes are not permitted if a booking has been paid for using a Travel Voucher.

Talk about confusing!

Means you can use it for anyone, but once used you can't change the name.

Advertisement